PDA

View Full Version : Champ" "You've just got to be patient."

TXBRONC
05-20-2008, 11:10 PM
This article was in today's RMN what caught my eye was Champ's comments on the team.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/may/20/call-it-a-no-whinny-situation/

Call it a no-whinny situation
Broncos a force? Notion met with deafening silence

By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News (Contact)
Tuesday, May 20, 2008

David Zalubowski / Associated Press

Hear that? No?

The Broncos aren't hearing much, either, when it comes to the NFL's talking heads this offseason, particularly from a positive viewpoint.

And, in their estimation, silence is golden.

Usually around this time, the franchise has completed its star search in free agency, flashed plenty of cash and has earned preseason mention as a contender as its organized team activities open.

This year, there's no hype, just a ranking in the league's lower third in various expert "power polls."

A 7-9 record last season is a chief culprit in the lowered expectation level beyond the Dove Valley walls. The defense often was steamrolled, the offense field-goal oriented, the special teams inconsistent.

Losing the likes of Jason Elam and Javon Walker didn't enhance the team's perception as a possible contender, either.

Now pick the sexiest roster addition of the past several months.

Dewayne Robertson? Boss Bailey? Darrell Jackson?

It's no wonder New England, Indianapolis, Jacksonville and others are embedded more in the national conversation.

"One thing I can really say is, nobody's really excited about the Broncos this year outside of this locker room. But we are," Pro Bowl cornerback Champ Bailey said. "We know what type of talent we have, and one thing you have to do is stop listening to the outside world anyway and keep our confidence up because anything's possible. When you've got a great quarterback, you can do a lot of things. And I think we're on the verge of having a great one."

Even with Jay Cutler's potential emergence, Bailey admitted he was skeptical when the offseason began about the roster being assembled. But he maintained that after listening to people, paying attention, doing his homework and, most of all, going through the offseason program with the newly assembled Broncos, his perception has changed.

"There's always going to be questions because you don't know what's going on a lot of times. But down the road, things start explaining themselves," he said. "A few years ago, we drafted three cornerbacks, and it showed up later why. You've just got to be patient."
Overall, 36 new players dot the roster, which is slightly more than the usual turnover, with about one-third of the names changing. So patience might be needed, especially early, as everything evolves.

"We made our moves and it wasn't big names but it was great for us, even if it's not the big, crazy names," defensive end Elvis Dumervil said. "I think the pieces of the puzzle we're putting together fit. And we got a lot of big names the year before and it didn't really work out that well. Now you're bringing in guys who fit the system and it's not a bunch of individual guys. They want to work and do what it takes to take another step."

The talent level now is "good," Dumervil said. "We've got depth. And we've made some great choices."

But he isn't alone in the knowledge that skepticism about those statements exists, especially after two straight nonplayoff seasons after a trip to the AFC title game in the 2005 season.

"I've dealt with that my whole life, in coaching and in personnel," vice president of football operations Jim Goodman recently said of the seemingly low expectations outside Dove Valley. "People have to write what they have to write. And you have to rank them somewhere. But I want you to look back at 2005. Where did they rank us then? You have to play the games. Everybody else is good, but we feel we're pretty good, too."

DenBronx
05-20-2008, 11:17 PM
"We made our moves and it wasn't big names but it was great for us, even if it's not the big, crazy names," defensive end Elvis Dumervil said. "I think the pieces of the puzzle we're putting together fit. And we got a lot of big names the year before and it didn't really work out that well. Now you're bringing in guys who fit the system and it's not a bunch of individual guys. They want to work and do what it takes to take another step."

very well said by elvis. i think this team is going to look alot better with the depth we have and guys that actually fit in.

TXBRONC
05-20-2008, 11:25 PM

very well said by elvis. i think this team is going to look alot better with the depth we have and guys that actually fit in.

Tned is on record saying that he thinks we'll have bounce back year and make the playoffs. I hope he's right.

05-20-2008, 11:54 PM
Play with heart, grit and enthusiasm and let the chips fall where they will.

This team is going to shock the 'experts'.

11-5.

omac
05-21-2008, 12:45 AM
Our defense should be much better than last season, because it should be similar to what we've been doing before. We have better depth at the RB position in case of injuries, with the added experience Young and Hall got. We also have better depth at the OL and WR positions. Besides the defense, last season was all about injuries; this season seems to be more about depth to combat injuries.

We should be a much improved team this season, and our weaker schedule can't hurt. :cheers:

broncohead
05-21-2008, 02:20 AM
Our defense should be much better than last season, because it should be similar to what we've been doing before. We have better depth at the RB position in case of injuries, with the added experience Young and Hall got. We also have better depth at the OL and WR positions. Besides the defense, last season was all about injuries; this season seems to be more about depth to combat injuries.

We should be a much improved team this season, and our weaker schedule can't hurt. :cheers:

I agree but we don't know if it's a weaker schedule until the season is over and we see how the teams that we played did. It's all based off of last years performance which doesn't mean anything for next year.

TXBRONC
05-21-2008, 07:16 AM

If Robertson provides the interior presence that we all think he will we should be better off the edges that we have even our defense was solid.

Ziggy
05-21-2008, 08:40 AM
I agree but we don't know if it's a weaker schedule until the season is over and we see how the teams that we played did. It's all based off of last years performance which doesn't mean anything for next year.

One thing we do know is that we're in a weak division. KC and Oakland provide 4 very winnable games for us.

dbfan4life
05-21-2008, 10:35 AM
I get so pumped when I read articles like this! What really makes a team good is the belief of its players. Is Champ just saying the right things for the media or does he really feel that we're going to have a good team? I think its the latter and am really looking forward to seeing how this group of guys gel during OTC's and TC.

weazel
05-21-2008, 10:43 AM
Play with heart, grit and enthusiasm and let the chips fall where they will.

This team is going to shock the 'experts'.

11-5.

9-7 at best

05-21-2008, 11:12 AM
What really makes a team good is the belief of its players.

Ypu. The mental part of the game is soooo important.

That is where this team has a chance to make huge strides this year.

1) They are another season removed from the DWill tragedy.

2) The growing belief in Cutler's leadership by his teammates has been proven repeatedly in articles like this.

3) The D knows what to expect going in with Slo as DC.

4) Special teams is all about will, determination and fortitude. Denver has brought in players that have excelled at ST in the pros and in college.

5) With the 'experts' picking them in the bottom third...this team can develop a healthy us against them mentality.

6) A number of players have individual things to prove and to motivate them. Dwayne and Marlon's' rejection by other teams, Brandon's injury and maturity criticisms, Lynch's slight by the Broncs and Henry's crappy year...personally and professionally

Add all that up and you have a team that could get on a roll. Especially if they have success early.

11-5 or 12-4. So it is written...so it shall be done. Better get on the bandwagon while there is still room to pick out a comfortable seat.

Beantown Bronco
05-21-2008, 11:30 AM
Better get on the bandwagon while there is still room to pick out a comfortable seat.

Only wussies need seats. To the 300 level with ya! :nerd:

05-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Only wussies need seats. To the 300 level with ya! :nerd:

Bean, you are just used to old Foxborough without those seatbacks. Zero amenities.

I am more of a SouthStands type of guy..but I do like a cupholder for my backup beer. :beer:

Northman
05-21-2008, 12:03 PM
Time will tell, i just dont want to see this team quit like they did against the first SD game.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Interesting comment by Dumervil on getting players who fit and buy into the system we have. I certainly hope Denver is actually lookiing for an identity on defense this year instead of constantly adjusting the defense to fit the skills of the players you have. That's bad math no matter what.

Lonestar
05-21-2008, 12:45 PM
Ypu. The mental part of the game is soooo important.

That is where this team has a chance to make huge strides this year.

1) They are another season removed from the DWill tragedy.

2) The growing belief in Cutler's leadership by his teammates has been proven repeatedly in articles like this.

3) The D knows what to expect going in with Slo as DC.
4) Special teams is all about will, determination and fortitude. Denver has brought in players that have excelled at ST in the pros and in college.

5) With the 'experts' picking them in the bottom third...this team can develop a healthy us against them mentality.

6) A number of players have individual things to prove and to motivate them. Dwayne and Marlon's' rejection by other teams, Brandon's injury and maturity criticisms, Lynch's slight by the Broncs and Henry's crappy year...personally and professionally

Add all that up and you have a team that could get on a roll. Especially if they have success early.

11-5 or 12-4. So it is written...so it shall be done. Better get on the bandwagon while there is still room to pick out a comfortable seat.

The D also knew what coyer wanted and what Bates wanted..

That is not to say that the system is worth a crap, or that we have the players to play it.

We were 4 last second heroic FG's away from being 3-13 last year. That hero is not longer with the team..

We have at last count 36 brand new bodies on the team, a lot of which are learning there 3rd defensive system in 3 years..
Practically a NEW OLINE in terms of playing together.
The first part of the season could be brutal for a very young, inconsistent team.

11 or 12 wins are not gonna happen unless several teams have a total collapse and this team is enitrelyinsane in mixing all the newplayers and systems together.

It will be closer to 7 than it will be to 12..