PDA

View Full Version : NBA reviewing Mark Cuban's comments about LeBron James

Denver Native (Carol)
05-22-2010, 04:02 PM
http://mavsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/05/league-reviewing-cubans-lbj-comments.html

The NBA is reviewing remarks Mavericks' owner Mark Cuban made in a CNN interview about LeBron James.

The odds of the Mavericks obtaining James via a sign-and-trade this summer are long, but that didn't keep Cuban from talking about the possibility in an interview published Thursday. The league looks carefully at any comments regarding potential free agents before July 1, when teams are allowed to contact free agents.

James headlines a strong free-agent crop this summer.

In response to whether or not the interview could be considered tampering by the league, Cuban said: "I think I said we would be trying like everyone else to do a sign and trade. Nothing more.''

Talking with CNN, Cuban said that "come July 1, yeah, of course. Anybody would be interested in LeBron James and if he leaves via free agency, then it's going to be tough. If he does like I'm guessing ... which is say 'I'm not going to leave the Cavs high and dry,' then he'll try to force a sign-and-trade and that gives us a chance.

"What I do know about LeBron in the minimal time I've spent talking to him is he just wants to win. Money's not an issue.''

A spokesman for the league said a review of the situation is underway. The NBA has a tampering rule that can result in a fine of up to $1 million and a loss of draft picks or other assets. But whether or not stating that everybody will be interested in James constitutes tampering is debatable.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-22-2010, 04:04 PM
http://www.nba.com/2010/news/05/22/fines.kerr.cuban/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt2

NEW YORK, May 22, 2010 -- Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban has been fined $100,000 for public comments made in violation of the NBA's anti-tampering rules, it was announced today by Joel Litvin, NBA President of League and Basketball Operations. Cuban's comments were made during an online interview that ran on May 18.

Phoenix Suns President of Basketball Operations Steve Kerr has been fined $10,000, also for public comments made in violation of the anti-tampering rules. Kerr's comments were made on a radio show on May 14.