PDA

View Full Version : 1st rookie signed

shank
05-21-2010, 03:56 PM
The Broncos have signed the first of their 2010 draft picks, inking seventh round pick cornerback Syd’Quan Thompson.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/thompson-first-to-sign/

Requiem / The Dagda
05-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Fabulous. He has a real potential on special teams and can be an effective sub-package corner as time goes on. Kid is a gamer.

weazel
05-21-2010, 04:18 PM
getting the important ones out of the way first!

BigBroncLove
05-21-2010, 04:18 PM
Coaches must of seen something off the bat if he's been inked already. Good to know :).

The Glue Factory
05-21-2010, 04:52 PM
Draft picks usually sign in reverse order of selection since the higher draft picks want more money than the lower draftees. In that respect this is an important signing as it gets the ball rolling for the rest of our draft picks.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2010, 05:51 PM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/thompson-first-to-sign/

May 21st, 2010 - 2:36pm by Kyle Sonneman

The Broncos have signed the first of their 2010 draft picks, inking seventh round pick cornerback Syd’Quan Thompson.

Thompson was selected with the first of the Broncos two seventh round picks (225 overall) out of the University of California.

While at Cal, Thompson was a first-team All-Pac-10 selection in each of his final two seasons with the Golden Bears.

The cornerback started all 52 games possible over his four-year career, setting a school record for starts as a four-year starter at cornerback for Cal. He finished his career as the school’s all-time leader in pass breakups with 36.

He started his career as a Sporting News Pac-10 All-Freshman selection after starting in all 13 games, and finished it with 257 tackles, seven interceptions that he returned for 204 yards, two sacks, 20 tackles for loss, one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries — one of which he returned 15 yards for a touchdown against rival Stanford — and two punt returns that he brought back for 389 yards, including a 73-yard return for a touchdown. He was named Cal’s Most Valuable Back on defense for his junior season, when he tied a school record with 18 passes defensed, and held the title again as a senior in 2009.

“Basically, I’ll do whatever the coaches what me to do,” Thompson said. “Any position they want me to play, I’m going to play it. I’m just happy I was able to be a part of something that’s good in Denver. I’m just hoping to go out there and compete and do my best.”

tomjonesrocks
05-21-2010, 05:53 PM
http://footballtrophies.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/lombardi-trophy.jpg

T.K.O.
05-21-2010, 06:00 PM
"and two punt returns that he brought back for 389 yards, including a 73-yard return for a touchdown."

WOW....2 punt returns and 389 yards !....somebody should have stopped him when he got to the parking lot:laugh:

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2010, 06:25 PM
"and two punt returns that he brought back for 389 yards, including a 73-yard return for a touchdown."

WOW....2 punt returns and 389 yards !....somebody should have stopped him when he got to the parking lot:laugh:

http://www.calbears.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/thompson_sydquan00.html

CAL CAREER: A two-time first-team All-Pac-10 selection, earning the honor in each of his final two campaigns ... started all 52 games possible over his four-year career (2006-09) to set a school record for starts as a four-year starter at cornerback for the Golden Bears ... finished his career as Cal's all-time leader in pass breakups with 36 after recording two in his final contest at the 2009 San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl to move past previous school-record holder Chidi Iwuoma, who recorded 35 from 1997-2000 ... other final career totals included 257 tackles, seven interceptions that he returned for 204 yards, 43 passes defended, 2.0 sacks (-17 yards), 20.0 tackles for loss (65 yards), one forced fumble, two fumble recoveries, and 36 punt returns that he brought back for a total of 389 yards, including one that he returned 73 yards for a touchdown vs. Colorado State in 2008 ... also returned a fumble against Stanford 15 yards for a touchdown in the Big Game vs. Stanford in 2006 ... posted a total of 608 career all-purpose yards, adding one kick return for 15 yards to his punt and interception return totals.

Day1BroncoFan
05-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Carol.

GGMoogly
05-21-2010, 06:42 PM
As goes Syd’Quan, so go the Broncos!

Denver Native (Carol)
05-21-2010, 07:06 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15136808

The Broncos do not consider rookie cornerback Syd'Quan Thompson just another No. 225 overall draft pick in the seventh round.

Call him a seventh-round pick with a fifth-round value and a new four-year contract worth more than $1.2 million.

"I think this kid is going to be one of the steals of the draft," said Doug Hendrickson, Thompson's agent. "Going into the combine, he was a top five corner."

Hendrickson said Thompson fell in the draft because he pulled his hamstring and never got his best 40-yard time posted. Thompson wasn't completely ignored, however, as the Broncos had film on him as a junior and senior when he was named All Pacific-10 Conference at California.

In the 2009 draft, the Broncos took center Blake Schlueter at No. 225 overall. He was among the team's final roster cuts prior to the season.

Based on the NFL draft's slotting system and Schlueter's contract last year, Thompson was rewarded with a signing bonus of around $60,000 for being the first of the Broncos' drafted rookies to sign. If he makes the Broncos' season-opening roster, Thompson would receive a base salary of $325,000 this year.

Thompson, who started every game for four years at cornerback for the University of California, became a Bronco after the team got back in the last round of the draft by dealing their fifth-round pick in 2011 to Tampa Bay in return for two, seventh-round picks this year.

The Broncos used their other seventh-round selection on defensive end Jammie Kirlew.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

broncophan
05-21-2010, 07:12 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_15136808

The Broncos do not consider rookie cornerback Syd'Quan Thompson just another No. 225 overall draft pick in the seventh round.

Call him a seventh-round pick with a fifth-round value and a new four-year contract worth more than $1.2 million.

"I think this kid is going to be one of the steals of the draft," said Doug Hendrickson, Thompson's agent. "Going into the combine, he was a top five corner."

Hendrickson said Thompson fell in the draft because he pulled his hamstring and never got his best 40-yard time posted. Thompson wasn't completely ignored, however, as the Broncos had film on him as a junior and senior when he was named All Pacific-10 Conference at California.

In the 2009 draft, the Broncos took center Blake Schlueter at No. 225 overall. He was among the team's final roster cuts prior to the season.

Based on the NFL draft's slotting system and Schlueter's contract last year, Thompson was rewarded with a signing bonus of around $60,000 for being the first of the Broncos' drafted rookies to sign. If he makes the Broncos' season-opening roster, Thompson would receive a base salary of $325,000 this year.

Thompson, who started every game for four years at cornerback for the University of California, became a Bronco after the team got back in the last round of the draft by dealing their fifth-round pick in 2011 to Tampa Bay in return for two, seventh-round picks this year.

The Broncos used their other seventh-round selection on defensive end Jammie Kirlew.

Mike Klis: 303-954-1055 or mklis@denverpost.com.

damn......$60,000 just for being the first bronco drafted rookie to sign.....at least if for some reason he does not make the team.....he has some cash to fall back on.

The Glue Factory
05-21-2010, 07:42 PM
That's almost double my annual salary! Wish I could make almost $5k per letter in my name just by signing something. :pout:

Shazam!
05-21-2010, 08:31 PM
I thought TT hit the ink already, if so then he was the 1st... did TT not sign?

jhildebrand
05-21-2010, 11:06 PM
I do like that McDaniels has gotten rookie deals going right away. It always seemed to be a last minute ordeal under Shanahan.

Lonestar
05-22-2010, 12:14 AM
I do like that McDaniels has gotten rookie deals going right away. It always seemed to be a last minute ordeal under Shanahan.

I think mikey had some early stuff also it is always the top 3 or 4 guys that are the last to be signed.

I hope the new CBA addresses a Rookie wage scale that like the vet minimum is pretty cast in stone a #10 CHOICE GETS only this much and the guaranteed If there is guaranteed money is so much.

The bulk of the salaries should go to proven vets and the rookies NO matter what pick they were should be on a pretty rigid scale.