PDA

View Full Version : Alot Riding on Koutouvides

WARHORSE
05-20-2008, 01:21 PM
As a senior at Plainville High School in Connecticut, Niko Koutouvides played quarterback and middle linebacker. He found it a somewhat schizophrenic existence.
"I went from the wild linebacker to the calm, poised quarterback," Koutouvides recalled Monday during the first day of Broncos quarterback camp, where he is definitely not playing quarterback.
It began to occur to him that playing calm and collected might not be who he was.
"It was tougher," he said. "I'm yelling at my linemen. You're really not supposed to yell at your linemen."
Koutouvides represents maybe the most important question mark of Mike Shanahan's latest edition of the Broncos. With Lofa Tatupu playing ahead of him in Seattle, Koutouvides was mainly a special-teams crazy man, although Shanahan liked what he saw of him at middle linebacker in preseason game tapes. Now he's betting Koutouvides can be the run-stopping anchor of the Broncos' refurbished defense.
So much so that last year's much-heralded experiment - moving D.J. Williams into the middle - is already over. Shanahan has decided that Williams belongs on the weak side after all.
That decision leaves the Broncos with established outside linebackers in Williams and Boss Bailey and open competition in the middle, where Koutouvides begins as the favorite.
As you know, I tend to consult The Dude on these things because he's one of about four people on the planet that actually watch the NFL Network.
He agrees with Shanahan. If Koutouvides hadn't been on the same team as Tatupu, he would have been a starter before now, The Dude tells me.
"We all kind of felt that way," Koutouvides said. "Me and Lofa, he's my best friend up there. We still talk all the time. He felt for me. Even the coach, even my linebacker coach, the D-coordinator, they all knew. What are you gonna do? You've got two Pro Bowlers, Julian (Peterson) and Lofa, and then you got another good player, Leroy Hill.
"So there's only so much you can do. I'm not the type of player which, if I'm a backup, I'm just going to go pout and not play hard. Part of my game was special teams. So I said, 'Hey, I'm going to take it and run with it.' I learned as much as I could there."
You may recall that the Broncos finished 30th in stopping the run last season. The numbers got considerably better after the bye week, when power shifted from Jim Bates to Bob Slowik and an eighth defender was allowed in the box, but that 142.6-yard average is indelible, 29 more per game than the year before, Al Wilson's last. This is why Koutouvides is here.
"I've watched him play for four years," Shanahan said. "I've watched him play in preseason. I think he brings a lot to the table. He's a guy that was either first or second or third in the National Football League in (special teams) tackles. A guy who can tackle in the open field and plays the 'Mike' linebacker position. I like what we evaluated in the preseason. It gives us a lot of confidence that he'll come in and play well."
But even Shanahan knows it is not a sure thing. Koutouvides has not been a starting middle linebacker in the NFL before.
"There's still a lot of competition there," Shanahan said. "It doesn't mean that he'll keep that position because you never know through preseason.
"We've got a lot of guys that have some ability and have played quite a bit in the National Football League. So time will tell."
When I asked him to name Koutouvides' competitors, he mentioned veteran Nate Webster, who started on the strong side last season and is now back in the middle. He also mentioned Jamie Winborn, Jordan Beck and sixth-round draft choice Spencer Larsen as linebackers who could play the middle.
"I love the competition because I'll push myself that much harder," Koutouvides said. "If you're the starter, you can get a little lazy. You know, 'I'm the guy,' this and that. But you got someone on your rear end trying to take your job, you're going to push it a little more."
I asked him if that's how Tatupu felt.
"Lofa did until he made the Pro Bowl that first year," he said with a smile.
If Shanahan is right about Koutouvides, he has filled a key spot at a relatively modest cost (three years, $7.5 million) and shored up the Broncos' greatest vulnerability of a year ago, run defense.
If he is wrong, his team will struggle defensively with a hole in the middle where its heart is supposed to be. Koutouvides seems to have the attitude for the job, but he still has to do it.
A lot of ink and cyber bytes have been spilled debating Shanahan's ability as a personnel evaluator. He could go a long way toward shoring up that reputation by getting this one right.

I think hes going to do well for us. Heck, even if he didnt start, hes a great aquisition as a backup and special teams ace.

Nice move Shanny.:coffee:

Kaylore
05-20-2008, 02:09 PM
That's a nice write-up WH. I think Niko will be above average at least. I don't know how much of Shanny's rep is riding on this move though. I mean he was the best thing available probably including the draft. If he doesn't work out, it will be hard to blame Shanahan considering at the time this looked like the right move.

G_Money
05-20-2008, 02:15 PM
At the time I thought it wasn't the greatest idea...but at the time I was also hoping to get a MLB in the 1st round.

Niko's a huge deal. I can't get bothered by it til I see him play, but we're betting that Niko/Webster will start at Mike and kill it there.

Webster's better inside than outside, so it might work out even if Niko can't hack it.

But it's definitely a position of concern.

I really do want to see how Larsen does. I'd like to see him push hard to get a #2 MLB slot. Which would mean trouble for whoever loses the starting MLB job...

We'll see. If Niko's all that and a bag of chips, that's great. If he's a good option til something better comes along, that's fine for the price. If he sucks...

Trouble.

~G

OB
05-20-2008, 02:24 PM
OMG - I lived in Bristol Ct for 6 years (10 minutes from Plainville) - small world

I hope home boy does good

Romonowski was from CT too - Rockville - not far from where my mom grew up

And dont pick on me - its a small state - we have to take pride (sports wise) in what we can

denver5459
05-20-2008, 04:27 PM
OMG - I lived in Bristol Ct for 6 years (10 minutes from Plainville) - small world

I hope home boy does good

Romonowski was from CT too - Rockville - not far from where my mom grew up

And dont pick on me - its a small state - we have to take pride (sports wise) in what we can

Well, lets just hope he can play as well as Romo did when he was a BRONCO!! :salute:

BroncoBuff
05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
I don't see the stakes being too high, because he's probably just a 2-down LB. Sounds funny to pull the Mike on 3rd dwns, but DJ and Boss are the two you want on the field in passing situations.

G_Money
05-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Webster covered Tony Gonzalez like a blanket. If he wins the MLB role are you still pulling him for DJ?

If not, DJ's gonna be pissed...

~G

BroncoBuff
05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Webster covered Tony Gonzalez like a blanket. If he wins the MLB role are you still pulling him for DJ?

If not, DJ's gonna be pissed...

~G

That's a very refreshing post, thank you. The OrangeMane has a rule that everybody must hate Nate Webster. :D Even SoCalBronco - a 'Canes fanatic - is not too keen on him. But to answer your question, I would pull Nate. I think Boss and DJ are our best two. I wish we still had Sam Brandon ... he used to smack Gonzales around some, too.

Dortoh
05-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Personally I love bringing him in. The competition should be fun to watch and someone will rise above the rest. IMO it will be this guy. Hes been stuck behind someone else and its finally his chance. I'd bet he will make the most of his opportunity now that its presented itself. Worst case we have an instant upgrade to a sad ST unit.

G_Money
05-20-2008, 05:58 PM
That's a very refreshing post, thank you. The OrangeMane has a rule that everybody must hate Nate Webster. :D Even SoCalBronco - a 'Canes fanatic - is not too keen on him. But to answer your question, I would pull Nate. I think Boss and DJ are our best two. I wish we still had Sam Brandon ... he used to smack Gonzales around some, too.

I would pull Nate too - he's not exactly my favorite Bronco - but I figured somebody should make the argument. :salute:

If Niko and Larsen tear it up, Nate may have trouble making the roster. But the position is so in flux that he could also wind up as the starter.

At least pre-season won't be boring...

~G

Nature Boy
05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't know if Niko Koots is better than Jaime Winborn.

honz
05-20-2008, 06:15 PM
Even if he isn't, it's not that big of a deal IMO. It's not like we gave the guy some ridiculous contract. If Niko doesn't win the starting spot, he still brings solid depth at LB and he is already a proven ST stud.

Buff
05-20-2008, 06:24 PM
The OrangeMane has a rule that everybody must hate Nate Webster. :D .

See, I knew you guys had some sense about you... I was starting to doubt it after reading Spider's 1000th post. :D

Requiem / The Dagda
05-20-2008, 06:44 PM

Poor SoCal, I told him to come here and join but he just refuses. Yeah, everyone has to hate Nate Webster. NATEHATE4LIFE. (Including Jackson.)

Drill-N-Fill
05-20-2008, 08:14 PM
At the time I thought it wasn't the greatest idea...but at the time I was also hoping to get a MLB in the 1st round.

Niko's a huge deal. I can't get bothered by it til I see him play, but we're betting that Niko/Webster will start at Mike and kill it there.

Webster's better inside than outside, so it might work out even if Niko can't hack it.

But it's definitely a position of concern.

I really do want to see how Larsen does. I'd like to see him push hard to get a #2 MLB slot. Which would mean trouble for whoever loses the starting MLB job...

We'll see. If Niko's all that and a bag of chips, that's great. If he's a good option til something better comes along, that's fine for the price. If he sucks...

Trouble.

~G

The front office is really high on this kid. They think he's a very smart player who has unbelievable instincts. Don't be surprised if this kid pushes for the starting gig next year.

Ray Finkle
05-20-2008, 08:44 PM
Poor SoCal, I told him to come here and join but he just refuses. Yeah, everyone has to hate Nate Webster. NATEHATE4LIFE. (Including Jackson.)

Where is Socal?

tubby
05-20-2008, 08:57 PM

I loved the big nickel. Too bad about Sam Brandon getting hurt. He owned Gonzo and Gates. :salute:

Inkana7
05-20-2008, 09:13 PM
I loved the big nickel. Too bad about Sam Brandon getting hurt. He owned Gonzo and Gates. :salute:

If you go back and look at opposing TE's stats against Brandon and against the likes of Nate Webster, you see just how valuable a player like Sam Brandon was.

Man, I miss him.

BroncoBuff
05-20-2008, 09:29 PM
Where is Socal?

I talked to him a couple weeks ago for maybe 10 minutes ... he's kinda busy with his new job. Unfortunately, he says he won't have the vacation time necessary to go to Denver for his camp reports. And I understand Khan is conflicted, too.

BroncoBuff
05-20-2008, 09:32 PM
Personally I love bringing him in. The competition should be fun to watch and someone will rise above the rest. IMO it will be this guy. Hes been stuck behind someone else and its finally his chance. I'd bet he will make the most of his opportunity now that its presented itself. Worst case we have an instant upgrade to a sad ST unit.

Dortoh ... :laugh: I laughed out loud!

Nice to see avatars again.

TXBRONC
05-20-2008, 10:51 PM
Right now I don't expect Webster to beat out Koutouvides.

Stargazer
05-20-2008, 11:31 PM
Odell Thurman is out there and will probably come cheap. :couch:

TXBRONC
05-20-2008, 11:38 PM
Odell Thurman is out there and will probably come cheap. :couch:

There is no sense in hiding behind the couch Star, if you hadn't of said it someone else would have. ;)

Stargazer
05-20-2008, 11:53 PM
There is no sense in hiding behind the couch Star, if you hadn't of said it someone else would have. ;)

That's a funny pic. Had to use it. Thurman is definately a talented MLB and should be brought in for a look, especially at his rock bottom cost. He's a playmaker who could definately help this team. The man can play football. And solidify the Mike position. He's very young(24). Obviously, a change of scenery would do good for him. There are former dawgs on this team that could potentially help him(champ,boss). With Webster/Niko manning the middle, I believe he is definately worth a look.

His 2005 season stats:

106 tackles(70 solo), 1.5 sacks, 5 forced fumbles, and 5 int's(1 for TD)

And that was as a rookie.

omac
05-21-2008, 12:12 AM
That's a funny pic. Had to use it. Thurman is definately a talented MLB and should be brought in for a look, especially at his rock bottom cost. He's a playmaker who could definately help this team. The man can play football. And solidify the Mike position. He's very young(24). Obviously, a change of scenery would do good for him. There are former dawgs on this team that could potentially help him(champ,boss). With Webster/Niko manning the middle, I believe he is definately worth a look.

His 2005 season stats:

The guy looks real talented, but way too many red flags ... drug/alcohol abuse, battery suspicions, missing voluntary OTAs after being reinstated (just how excited is he to play football again? :D ) ... it just sounds like he has too many things outside of football. And for the Bengals to waive him ... the team that got their draft strategy from the Dirty Dozen ... that says a lot.

broncohead
05-21-2008, 02:30 AM
If he comes cheap or comes for a one year prove yourself contract I wouldn't mind. He would be an instant upgrade and we shouldn't have any questions about our LB trio this year. Our run D would definently be upgraded. It would take some pressure off of our offense. I'm all for it.

TXBRONC
05-21-2008, 07:26 AM

His 2005 season stats:

I don't know if should be brought in for sure but it wouldn't be bad idea for the coaching staff to at very least consider it. He is talented there is no doubt about that, but we have had other talented but troubled players here and its blown up in our faces mind you not in every instance but several.

I will say this, when I heard that Thurman had been released I did briefly think maybe Denver should bring him in. But then I go to thinking, here's a guy with loads of talent who just got done serving his suspension and now the Bengals decide to release him Why? Do they feel he has learned his lesson? Or is that they have just decided they needed to go a new direction?

SOCALORADO.
05-21-2008, 07:59 AM
I don't know if should be brought in for sure but it wouldn't be bad idea for the coaching staff to at very least consider it. He is talented there is no doubt about that, but we have had other talented but troubled players here and its blown up in our faces mind you not in every instance but several.

I will say this, when I heard that Thurman had been released I did briefly think maybe Denver should bring him in. But then I go to thinking, here's a guy with loads of talent who just got done serving his suspension and now the Bengals decide to release him Why? Do they feel he has learned his lesson? Or is that they have just decided they needed to go a new direction?

Thats the whole reason i wouldnt want Odell in DEN.
WHY would CIN wait till now to release him!!?!?
After all that, they must have saw something that told them that Thurman was just NEVER going to learn.
Hes a total idiot, and a worthless scumbag off the field. Waaay too much baggage, and with the total change in philosophy in the guys DEN just drafted, it wouldnt be a smart move, even with his athletic ability.
I say forget him. (if DEN was considering it)

Ziggy
05-21-2008, 08:34 AM

I'd be surprised if Webster beat out Larsen, let alone Kootie. Nate was never a force on special teams, and an average LB at best. I think he's a TC cut unless someone goes down with an injury.

turftoad
05-21-2008, 09:45 AM

Yes, he has a troubled past and that in part was one of the reasons the Bungles cut him.
That said, the last incident was the last straw. I don't agree with it.
His grandmother (who raised him) had died and the Bengles wanted him to take one day (of voluntary workouts) off for the funeral.
Thurman needed more time and took a week. Remember, this is the lady that raised him.
If he's learned and cleaned up is act, he's better than anyone on our roster as a MLB.
I wouldn't mind us taking a look at him at all.

SOCALORADO.
05-21-2008, 09:52 AM
Yes, he has a troubled past and that in part was one of the reasons the Bungles cut him.
His grandmother (who raised him) had died and the Bengles wanted him to take one day (of voluntary workouts) off for the funeral.
Thurman needed more time and took a week. Remember, this is the lady that raised him.
If he's learned and cleaned up is act, he's better than anyone on our roster as a MLB.

Ah, well, if thats the lady that raised him, then i have no problem with CIN saying "you get 1 day". No problem whatsoever.
She clealy didnt do much "raising" with him!!!!! LOL!!!
Jeez, bad example, and its no wonder CIN basically blew this loser off.
looks like they are finally starting to hold their players accountable for their actions. Hopefully this continues with their draft picks too.

Ziggy
05-21-2008, 09:55 AM

I think it also had a lot to do with the fact that he missed the last 2 seasons for violating the leagues substance abuse policy. We don't need another player that's one mistake away from being banned from the NFL for life. Let's stick with Kootie, Larsen, and Webster, and see who rises to the top in TC and preseason. It seems like the locker room is starting to regain some good chemistry. Let's keep the momentum going, and keep the problem children out.

turftoad
05-21-2008, 11:10 AM
Ah, well, if thats the lady that raised him, then i have no problem with CIN saying "you get 1 day". No problem whatsoever.
She clealy didnt do much "raising" with him!!!!! LOL!!!
Jeez, bad example, and its no wonder CIN basically blew this loser off.
looks like they are finally starting to hold their players accountable for their actions. Hopefully this continues with their draft picks too.

Thurmans mother and father are both passed away. His grandmother raised him because of it.
Cincy wanted him to take one day for travel and the funeral?? Can't even be done. Not to mention that when one of your parents passes away you need more than one friggen day to to deal with it.

Not sticking up for him because I know he's not the greatest apple on tree but one day for that is rediculous. Not to mention it's voluntary work outs.

SOCALORADO.
05-21-2008, 11:23 AM
Thurmans mother and father are both passed away. His grandmother raised him because of it.
Cincy wanted him to take one day for travel and the funeral?? Can't even be done. Not to mention that when one of your parents passes away you need more than one friggen day to to deal with it.

IF you were the guy who gave up MILLIONS of dollars to a player who has brought you, your organization and the community nothing but massive problems and embarrasment CONSTANTLY, and he came to you and said he needs more than a day to mourn the death of the person who "raised" him to be this "pillar of the community", would you give it to him, or just cut ties completely with him, and move on? :confused:
So you think hes entitled to SYMPATHY?!?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!?!?
BYE BYE!!!!!
Odell should have thought of his employer treating him like a responsible, highly coveted employee before he started acting like a scum bag loser.
Why should CIN treat Odell with respect after hes done nothing for them to earn it?!?!? As a matter of fact, hes done just the opposite, and this is simply CIN's way of "explaining" that to poor little Odell.
This decision was the easiest decision they have had to make in CIN.
Odell is the absolute LAST player i would want in DEN. A total loser in every way.

BroncoJoe
05-21-2008, 11:31 AM
I thought this was a thread about Koutouvides, not Odell.

:confused:

turftoad
05-21-2008, 12:11 PM
IF you were the guy who gave up MILLIONS of dollars to a player who has brought you, your organization and the community nothing but massive problems and embarrasment CONSTANTLY, and he came to you and said he needs more than a day to mourn the death of the person who "raised" him to be this "pillar of the community", would you give it to him, or just cut ties completely with him, and move on? :confused:
So you think hes entitled to SYMPATHY?!?!?! Are you kidding me?!?!?!?
BYE BYE!!!!!
Odell should have thought of his employer treating him like a responsible, highly coveted employee before he started acting like a scum bag loser.
Why should CIN treat Odell with respect after hes done nothing for them to earn it?!?!? As a matter of fact, hes done just the opposite, and this is simply CIN's way of "explaining" that to poor little Odell.
This decision was the easiest decision they have had to make in CIN.
Odell is the absolute LAST player i would want in DEN. A total loser in every way.

There is no doubt that Odell is not a pillar in the community and has made his mistakes. I'm not arguing that one bit.
That said, these were VOLUNTARY work outs, not manditory (which voluntary seems to mean manditory) in the NFL these days.
It's evident that you have not lost a parent or a child in your life time yet or you'd know that money is not the issue here.

Lonestar
05-21-2008, 12:29 PM
There is no doubt that Odell is not a pillar in the community and has made his mistakes. I'm not arguing that one bit.
That said, these were VOLUNTARY work outs, not manditory (which voluntary seems to mean manditory) in the NFL these days.
It's evident that you have not lost a parent or a child in your life time yet or you'd know that money is not the issue here.

I have lost a parent, I do understand. In todays age and times now going on in the NFL, he took a week to handle the personal affairs.. Not one day or two a WEEK..

Had he asked for additional time instead of just doing it that might have bought him some goodwill points..

I can totally understand where CIN is coming from.. constant problem kid has played very little the past two season after one pretty strong rookie season.

He simply did not have enough positives or credibility in the bank for them to take further chances on him..

As far as coming to DEN Pat has pretty much ruled out expensive FA or character issue types..

SOCALORADO.
05-21-2008, 01:07 PM

Wrong. Its evident that you dont understand responsibility when your paid MILLION of dollars and cost an entire organization years of headaches, problems, issues and instead of acting like an adult who OWES his employer for putting up with his immature, stupid, scum bag decisions, he acts like a child who needs to go to a funeral for a lady who taught him to beat other women and break the law...........constantly!
The organization feels that Odell's (BAD) decisions = LOST MONEY. LOST MONEY= LOSSES.
That is the issue.
CIN has had to redraft players and PAY THEM MILLIONS because of Odells STUPID decisions.
That is the issue.
CIN has had to pay fines to the League and now has a dark cloud over their team because of this moron,( along with others) who had plenty of time to smoke crack and beat women, instead of spending time with his "oh so important Grammy".
I can see why CIN dropped him like a bad habit when he made yet another bad decision and decided to go to his grammy's funeral to mourn her passing, instead of being on time to his career and giving 110%, considering they have done SOOOOOO MUCH for ODELL.
But Odell doesnt see it that way, nor does Chad Johnson or any other moron in CIN.
Odell most likely feels "entitled" to do whatever he wants, and NEVER thinks of the people at his work(CIN) who have gone ABOVE AND BEYOND for him.
He got 1 day by his employer. Thats one day too many.
Basically CIN said, "Mourn your grammy on your own time! You've COST us too much time as it is!"

turftoad
05-21-2008, 01:26 PM
Wrong. Its evident that you dont understand responsibility when your paid MILLION of dollars and cost an entire organization years of headaches, problems, issues and instead of acting like an adult who OWES his employer for putting up with his immature, stupid, scum bag decisions, he acts like a child who needs to go to a funeral for a lady who taught him to beat other women and break the law...........constantly!
The organization feels that Odell's (BAD) decisions = LOST MONEY. LOST MONEY= LOSSES.
That is the issue.
CIN has had to redraft players and PAY THEM MILLIONS because of Odells STUPID decisions.
That is the issue.
CIN has had to pay fines to the League and now has a dark cloud over their team because of this moron,( along with others) who had plenty of time to smoke crack and beat women, instead of spending time with his "oh so important Grammy".
I can see why CIN dropped him like a bad habit when he made yet another bad decision and decided to go to his grammy's funeral to mourn her passing, instead of being on time to his career and giving 110%, considering they have done SOOOOOO MUCH for ODELL.
But Odell doesnt see it that way, nor does Chad Johnson or any other moron in CIN.
Odell most likely feels "entitled" to do whatever he wants, and NEVER thinks of the people at his work(CIN) who have gone ABOVE AND BEYOND for him.
He got 1 day by his employer. Thats one day too many.
Basically CIN said, "Mourn your grammy on your own time! You've COST us too much time as it is!"

You're right, I don't make millions of dollars.

I hope your mother (or whom ever raised you) will understand when you don't even take one day off for her funeral.

Anyways, this isn't the Odell thread so we should get back on topic.

SOCALORADO.
05-21-2008, 01:47 PM
You're right, I don't make millions of dollars.

I hope your mother (or whom ever raised you) will understand when you don't even take one day off for her funeral.

Anyways, this isn't the Odell thread so we should get back on topic.

EVERYONE would understand why i wasnt at my mother or Grammies funeral, if i did what Odell did!
Thats the issue! Along with the MILLIONS.
Heres what Odell could have done instead.

Reporter: Odell, we notice you are here at camp instead of at your grammies funeral today, care to comment?

Odell: "Sure. We'll i made alot of phone calls to family and i'll continue to be in touch with family all day/night."
"Ive made some SERIOUS mistakes in my life recently and The Cincinnati Bengals organization has been like family to me. They have supported me through my troubles off the field and i just feel i owe them alot to be here to prove to them that their investemnt in me is very, very important to me, and my family.
Their support, is as important as my Grammie who raised me. Yes, they have done nothing but help me with my drug addiction, my penchant to abuse women, and have paid/invested millions of dollars in me.
As much as it it pains me to not be at my grammies funeral, i think that i need to be at my employer to show them that i can be counted on and that i appreciate all that they have done for me, when they could have just thrown me away. Instead they went above and beyond to ensure that i would become a succesful person, and that is as valuable to me as my grammies passing. I know my grammy would want me to be here to show them all that i am appreciative of all they have and will do for me throughout my career and life here in Cincinnati. I just want to take this moment to publicly appologize for my absolutely stupid and immature actions which have cost the Cincinnati Bengals so much, and i would also like to apologize to the fans as well.
Hopefully my actions from now on will reflect my desire to not only be successful on the field, but also off the field as well."

I guess i just see things a little different.

turftoad
05-21-2008, 02:32 PM
EVERYONE would understand why i wasnt at my mother or Grammies funeral, if i did what Odell did!
Thats the issue! Along with the MILLIONS.
Heres what Odell could have done instead.

Reporter: Odell, we notice you are here at camp instead of at your grammies funeral today, care to comment?

Odell: "Sure. We'll i made alot of phone calls to family and i'll continue to be in touch with family all day/night."
"Ive made some SERIOUS mistakes in my life recently and The Cincinnati Bengals organization has been like family to me. They have supported me through my troubles off the field and i just feel i owe them alot to be here to prove to them that their investemnt in me is very, very important to me, and my family.
Their support, is as important as my Grammie who raised me. Yes, they have done nothing but help me with my drug addiction, my penchant to abuse women, and have paid/invested millions of dollars in me.
As much as it it pains me to not be at my grammies funeral, i think that i need to be at my employer to show them that i can be counted on and that i appreciate all that they have done for me, when they could have just thrown me away. Instead they went above and beyond to ensure that i would become a succesful person, and that is as valuable to me as my grammies passing. I know my grammy would want me to be here to show them all that i am appreciative of all they have and will do for me throughout my career and life here in Cincinnati. I just want to take this moment to publicly appologize for my absolutely stupid and immature actions which have cost the Cincinnati Bengals so much, and i would also like to apologize to the fans as well.
Hopefully my actions from now on will reflect my desire to not only be successful on the field, but also off the field as well."

I guess i just see things a little different.

I DO understand what you're saying, thing is:

There are some things more important than football. FAMILY !!

Lonestar
05-21-2008, 02:38 PM

your both correct but moderation could have been in both posts..

The Team understands 2 days OK, a week is not understandable..

SOCALORADO.
05-21-2008, 02:58 PM

No. His family is no longer more important than football, because it isnt just football. Like "Odells statement" said. His REAL family is in CIN, but he screwed them, just like hes screwed up everything else in his life, so its no suprise that CIN told him to beat it.

Acedude
05-21-2008, 04:07 PM

Winborn is an OLB.

Cugel
05-21-2008, 04:46 PM

I would be really depressed if Webster is the best we can do at MLB. Nate is nothing great! He's not totally horrible like some people think, but let's just say he's a scrub talent. He could be useful as a backup at MLB if the guy in front of him almost never comes off the field like Al Wilson did!

When I asked him to name Koutouvides' competitors, he mentioned veteran Nate Webster, who started on the strong side last season and is now back in the middle. He also mentioned Jamie Winborn, Jordan Beck and sixth-round draft choice Spencer Larsen as linebackers who could play the middle.

That's about how I sum it up too. Koutouvides has the inside track, but they'll look at Winborn and Beck and see what they have in rookie Spencer Larson. If Larson impresses he could wind up the backup this season and move into the starter's role next year. If not, then the Broncos have taken a big step forward in getting quality special teams players -- and ST sucked horribly last year.

I was impressed with Shanahan for signing a player who might well be able to fill a role and comes cheap. He didn't pay the Moon and Stars for an injured over-the-hill player for once!

Stargazer
05-21-2008, 05:49 PM
I am all for giving Thurman a second chance. And I believe players can definately deserve a second chance. I would like to see him brought in for competition at the MLB spot. Competition is good for the team.

BCJ
05-21-2008, 06:04 PM
Even if he isn't, it's not that big of a deal IMO. It's not like we gave the guy some ridiculous contract. If Niko doesn't win the starting spot, he still brings solid depth at LB and he is already a proven ST stud.

When you suck as bad as we have the last two years, dont you think we should be thankful Niko is coming just as a ST guy? If we had a ST that was worthy of anything in stopping the A.Y.P.K. , we would not have given up two tds to the Bears and won that game. We give a free first down every time we dont kick a punt out of bounds or a kick off into the endzone. MLB is just icing on the cake for me.

TXBRONC
05-21-2008, 08:47 PM
I am all for giving Thurman a second chance. And I believe players can definately deserve a second chance. I would like to see him brought in for competition at the MLB spot. Competition is good for the team.

Before that I would like to know why the Bengals waited until his suspension was over to cut him.