PDA

View Full Version : Article critical of Denvers QB's

broncofaninfla
05-21-2010, 08:50 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_15130828

Krieger: Throwing Cole on QB fire

By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist (dkrieger@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Krieger: Throwing Cole on QB fire)
Posted: 05/21/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/0521/20100521_124535_krieger_200.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=3020260 ) Denver Broncos QB's Brady Quinn (9) and Tim Tebow (15) look on during drills at practice Monday, May 17, 2010 at Dove Valley. John Leyba, The Denver Post (JOHN LEYBA)

An open competition to play starting quarterback in the NFL is a rare treat for fans, sportswriters and radio talk shows, like a rogue version of "American Idol" that actually produces something useful.
The more contenders the merrier, we say. The only way to improve it would be to get them to live in the same house and broadcast 2 4/7, like "The Truman Show."
So I mention Jason Cole's opinion at Yahoo! Sports not to provoke hate mail for either him or me, although in especially orange quarters it probably will. I mention it to offer a counterweight to the local exuberance of the various campaigns.
Cole writes from a national perspective for Yahoo. The other day, he ranked all 32 teams by their quarterbacks. The big news was the Steelers slipped from top four to seventh because of Ben Roethlisberger's suspension.
The Broncos? Cole had them 29th.
"What do you get when you combine Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow?" he asked. "A backup, a flop and a prayer."
I'm ducking for cover already. Even Cole admitted he might have taken a little literary license. "Yeah, that's harsh, but let's face reality," he went on.
"Orton has always been exposed as a take-no-chances passer. Quinn didn't get a fair shake in Cleveland, but he didn't help himself, either. As for Tebow, it's hard to root or bet against him, but he was a reach in the first round when you consider how much work he has to do to make it in the NFL. Great kid, great work ethic, but first round? Oy . . ."
Personal opinion aside, there's not a lot of logic to the ranking. Orton was a middle-of-the-pack quarterback last season — 14th in passer rating. So unless you assume Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is about to replace him with someone substantially worse — a light goes on — the Broncos should still be somewhere in the middle of the pack. How Matt Leinart, Matt Cassel and Matt Stafford end up ahead of them I don't know, unless Cole has a son named Matt.
But one reason for some of the more jaundiced views from afar is that uncertainty at quarterback is almost always bad. Think about teams that aren't sure who their starters are. Carolina. Arizona. Buffalo. Not real promising situations, no matter how much you like Ryan Fitzpatrick's Wonderlic score.
Uncertainty doesn't matter this time of year, but it's going to start to matter here pretty soon, so it seems worth wondering how it gets resolved.
When I asked McDaniels the other day whether four quarterbacks — we mustn't forget Tom Brandstater, quarterback of the future a year ago — are too many, he acknowledged it will work for only so long:
"I've had four before at one point. During passing camp and the early parts of training camp, when you have 80 guys, or in this case 86 or 87 guys, you can get enough work because you've got a lot of reps. I think we had 35, 36 reps of 7-on-7 (Monday), so they all got, I think, somewhere in the neighborhood of nine or 10 plays apiece. There's not too many things that they're not getting an opportunity to rep out there. So that's the most important thing, is they're getting an opportunity to do that.
"Ideally, would you like to have an opportunity to give everybody more reps? Sure. But we're going to let that situation play out, and the competition will sort itself out and we'll end up with the right number."
So what's the plan?
Does McDaniels stick with the status quo, the incumbent Orton, design a few plays for Tebow, and let wins, losses and injuries sort it out once the season begins?
Does he look to trade Orton, his only proven commodity, to open the door for Tebow, with Quinn as his insurance policy? This would be a high-risk play that might raise the ceiling on the Broncos' quarterback play, but also lower the floor.
Does he simply drop Brandstater when reps get precious and host a three-way free-for-all right through the preseason?
Your guess is as good as mine. McDaniels has suggested several times that Tebow could be ready long before outsiders expect him to be, so a dramatic, possibly premature handoff seems possible.
The other worrisome scenario I imagine is Tebow as a part-time signal-caller, sent on to run certain plays in certain situations, then withdrawing to let Orton run the rest of the offense. I've never seen co-quarterbacks work at the pro level.
But frankly, the longer McDaniels takes to decide, the better for my racket. We can argue about this stuff endlessly, as we have only just begun to demonstrate. Come Monday, we'll be out there counting reps.
Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com (dkrieger@denverpost.com) or twitter.com/DaveKrieger (http://twitter.com/DaveKrieger)

SOCALORADO.
05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
So Krieger is basically saying he could post here and fit right in.

claymore
05-21-2010, 09:01 AM
Worst case IMO is that all 3 of these guys are mediocre. If thats the case I would rather them suck so we could get the experiment over with.

I want greatness as soon as possible.

BroncoNut
05-21-2010, 09:14 AM
Worst case IMO is that all 3 of these guys are mediocre. If thats the case I would rather them suck so we could get the experiment over with.

Everybody does Clay. You aren't alone there. Why don't you instead hope that one of these guys emerges as our QB instead of being all negative and defeatist about it you *****

Dirk
05-21-2010, 09:15 AM
I wonder if the theme from Jeapordy is playing while the reps are played out.

gator_fan
05-21-2010, 09:16 AM
So Krieger is basically saying he could post here and fit right in.

Indeed.

The only thing revealing in Mr. Krieger's article, is that he doesn't like the Broncos, and especially Tim Tebow. Certainly nothing enlightening or informative. Big Yawn.

claymore
05-21-2010, 09:22 AM
Everybody does Clay. You aren't alone there. Why don't you instead hope that one of these guys emerges as our QB instead of being all negative and defeatist about it you *****

Thanks Nut, Ive never thought about it that way.

T.K.O.
05-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks Nut, Ive never thought about it that way.

ladies and gentlemen.....meet the "new clay":elefant:

BroncoSojia
05-21-2010, 09:34 AM
Indeed.

The only thing revealing in Mr. Krieger's article, is that he doesn't like the Broncos, and especially Tim Tebow. Certainly nothing enlightening or informative. Big Yawn.

Did people even read the entire article?

"What do you get when you combine Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn and Tim Tebow?" he asked. "A backup, a flop and a prayer."
I'm ducking for cover already. Even Cole admitted he might have taken a little literary license. "Yeah, that's harsh, but let's face reality," he went on.
"Orton has always been exposed as a take-no-chances passer. Quinn didn't get a fair shake in Cleveland, but he didn't help himself, either. As for Tebow, it's hard to root or bet against him, but he was a reach in the first round when you consider how much work he has to do to make it in the NFL. Great kid, great work ethic, but first round? Oy . . ."

He quoted that from a yahoo sportswriter.

He didn't necessarily agree or disagree with it.

claymore
ladies and gentlemen.....meet the "new clay":elefant:

I feel like a butterfly that has arisen from its cocoon.

Slick
It seems like it's the same article every day.

gator_fan
05-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Did people even read the entire article?

He quoted that from a yahoo sportswriter.

So what? Is it an "Everyone's Wild Speculation Day" celebration?

He didn't necessarily agree or disagree with it.

Gee, I wonder what made him choose to use it then?

SOCALORADO.
05-21-2010, 09:59 AM
So what? Is it an "Everyone's Wild Speculation Day" celebration?

Gee, I wonder what made him choose to use it then?

Yeah, basically the writer has nothing to write about yet.
he might as well have just written,
"4 QBs in DEN and NO ONE is telling me what i want to hear, Waaa!"
"Oh, and i hate Tebow!"

Guy should STHeckU until theres actually a controversy or something to discuss thats relevant.
Anyone of us could have borrowed from other bozo's and then made an article basically complaining about what everyone already knows.

T.K.O.
05-21-2010, 10:03 AM
I feel like a butterfly that has arisen from its cocoon.

http://www.atelier-shoppe.com/img/p/18-45-large.jpg

:laugh:

gator_fan
05-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Guy should STHeckU until theres actually a controversy or something to discuss thats relevant.

One could also speculate like a nutter in the other direction.

Orton and Tebow both play regularly this season. They thrive off the competition with one another. Offense catches fire and is productive. Defense gets whipped into a frenzy because of it and becomes best in the league. First successful two quaterback team in the NFL. Broncos are the most followed team in history. They win the superbowl for the next six consecutive years! LOL!

Just as relevant at this point.

SOCALORADO.
05-21-2010, 10:19 AM
One could also speculate like a nutter in the other direction.

Orton and Tebow both play regularly this season. They thrive off the competition with one another. Offense catches fire and is productive. Defense gets whipped into a frenzy because of it and becomes best in the league. First successful two quaterback team in the NFL. Broncos are the most followed team in history. They win the superbowl for the next six consecutive years! LOL!

Just as relevant at this point.

You know i was going to write that the guy should grow some balls and make a bold statement about what he thought should happen, but i figured most everyone already knew he had no sack, so..

gator_fan
05-21-2010, 10:33 AM
You know i was going to write that the guy should grow some balls and make a bold statement about what he thought should happen, but i figured most everyone already knew he had no sack, so..

Mine was a nice daydream, though, wasn't it?

broncofaninfla
05-21-2010, 10:43 AM
The article is about another article more than it is being critical about Denver’s QB situation. We all know there is a faction of Broncos fans who feel the same way but there are also a lot of sports writers and football fans who discredit the Broncos QB’s. A lot of positions in Denver are up for competition this season, this one will easily get the most media and fan attention. Hopefully at least one of these guys emerges as the best choice to be a starter. If they all show mediocrity at best, Orton’s ouster could be accelerated as the other 3 QB’s have more of an upside. Regardless Orton isn’t the future of the franchise despite being the current starting QB.

SoCalImport
05-21-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't mind sportswriters being non-committal about their own opinions sometimes. Actually I think it's refreshing. fact is no one can have a hard line opinion about everything, not if they're at all reasonable.
Sometimes Sports writing can afford (IMHO) to be more like news writing (is supposed to be) and just deliver information without injecting any opinion on the part of the writer or publication.

Lonestar
05-21-2010, 11:24 AM
Did anyone expect anything different.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Shazam!
05-21-2010, 11:41 AM
Denver has their supposed QB of the future in TT. Quinn and TT havent even thrown a single pass in preseason yet, and the Broncos are being judged at QB. Laughable.

It was no doubt Orton wasnt McD's longterm solution at QB. He was the most capable starter he could get for Cutler.

I really hate this shit. That's why I dont watch ESPN anymore, I see for myself on Sundays and Mondays, and I judge from there.

Orton starting is not set in concrete. All of this is just more debate until we see TT in Quinn in action.

Northman
05-21-2010, 11:44 AM

I agree. This one quote pretty much sums it up for until someone proves differently.
A Backup, A Flop, and a Prayer.

SOCALORADO.
05-21-2010, 11:46 AM
Mine was a nice daydream, though, wasn't it?

Yeah, it's Fri too!

tomjonesrocks
05-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Really it's fair criticism. There's certainly no reason to currently put the Broncos in the top half of the league at the QB position -- and ranking which mediocre QBs are slotted in the bottom half is a dart-throwing proposition.

We don't yet know if Quinn can thrive with a change of scenery or if Tebow can succeed. Though I want to see what Quinn can do odds are against him and Tebow is a complete unknown at this point. The jury's not in on either. Orton is indeed a boring bottom-rung option though so I'm in agreement with him there. Going from Cutler to Orton was an agonizing downgrade and am anxious to get someone who can actually make a play in there.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Really it's fair criticism. There's certainly no reason to currently put the Broncos in the top half of the league at the QB position -- and ranking which mediocre QBs are slotted in the bottom half is a dart-throwing proposition.

We don't yet know if Quinn can thrive with a change of scenery or if Tebow can succeed. Though I want to see what Quinn can do odds are against him and Tebow is a complete unknown at this point. The jury's not in on either. Orton is indeed a boring bottom-rung option though so I'm in agreement with him there. Going from Cutler to Orton was an agonizing downgrade and am anxious to get someone who can actually make a play in there.

True, but even if nothing changes and Orton starts and plays out the season he still ended up at 14th last year... not 29th. He was much better than guys like Cassell, Stafford, Sanchez, etc all of whom are ranked way higher than him. You can talk weapons if you want, but I don't think, even with the loss of Marshall, we're hurting that badly.

Once again... with Orton, we're still middle of the road at QB. With Quinn or Tebow, we might even get better!? That's how I look at it.

dogfish
05-21-2010, 01:52 PM
"a backup, a flop, and a prayer?"

more like an average starter, a bust, and tim ****ing tebow!

dogfish
05-21-2010, 01:59 PM
True, but even if nothing changes and Orton starts and plays out the season he still ended up at 14th last year... not 29th. He was much better than guys like Cassell, Stafford, Sanchez, etc all of whom are ranked way higher than him. You can talk weapons if you want, but I don't think, even with the loss of Marshall, we're hurting that badly.

last year orton was 11th in passing yards and 15th in touchdowns-- he's the definition of an average starter. . . i don't think anyone aside from top would suggest that he's a quality starter or any kind of long term answer, but the guy's not the bottom of the barrel, either. . .

yea, his play is downright painful to watch at times, and i think he's probably close to maxed out without an all-world cast around him, but the guy gets the job done in a reasonably effective manner. . .

and yea, i am desperately hoping tebow can develop into a better QB than orton, but. . . people who act like he's the worst QB in the league are wildly exaggerating. . .

OrangeHoof
05-21-2010, 02:36 PM
Of course, with Marshall and Scheffler gone, we now have a below-average receiving corps too so I wonder how that will impact the QBs. You need receivers who can get open and we're not as skilled in that area now than we were at this time last season.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-21-2010, 02:42 PM
I think we'll experience better success in the passing game this year than we did last year. I don't expect a receiver to put up Marshall's numbers, but as a group, I think we have the chance to be very special; especially the rookies. We have some veterans and great talent. Piece it all together.

gator_fan
05-21-2010, 02:46 PM
I think we'll experience better success in the passing game this year than we did last year. I don't expect a receiver to put up Marshall's numbers, but as a group, I think we have the chance to be very special; especially the rookies. We have some veterans and great talent. Piece it all together.

Holy smokes! Was that an optimistic post, or did I just read it wrong? :lol:

Lonestar
05-22-2010, 10:53 AM
Losing TS is no biggie as the scheme is noy dependent on pass catching TE.

It is dependent on a Blocking TE that can catch the Ball enough to keep the D off balance.

As for BM everyone seems to forget his hunderd catches 20% of them were in one game where Josh wanted to get him a record.

Just have to wonder hiow much a loss that having two divas on other teams will make.

If the Oline matures we will have a much better running game and th QB will have more time to see past the #1 read.

But getting rid of TWO weak links in the middle of the Oline and getting back harris should make a lot of difference.
Orton being in the scheme for a second year also should improve on his #15 ranking in scoring and #11 in offense.

How does any Reporter with out an agenda drop him more thana few points at worst but 18 slots ahahahahahaha.

Oh maybe it was because we lost Simms that must be the reason. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

BigBroncLove
05-22-2010, 03:01 PM
Losing TS is no biggie as the scheme is noy dependent on pass catching TE.

It is dependent on a Blocking TE that can catch the Ball enough to keep the D off balance.

As for BM everyone seems to forget his hunderd catches 20% of them were in one game where Josh wanted to get him a record.

Just have to wonder hiow much a loss that having two divas on other teams will make.

If the Oline matures we will have a much better running game and th QB will have more time to see past the #1 read.

But getting rid of TWO weak links in the middle of the Oline and getting back harris should make a lot of difference.
Orton being in the scheme for a second year also should improve on his #15 ranking in scoring and #11 in offense.

How does any Reporter with out an agenda drop him more thana few points at worst but 18 slots ahahahahahaha.

Oh maybe it was because we lost Simms that must be the reason. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I still have a lot of questions about the Offensive Line. They've brought in a lot of options for the interior. All the veteran signing since the draft has ended, plus Walton, Beadles, and E Olsen. I'd like to think that, in a worst case scenario the Broncos will be a little above last years par with all the new guys, but with Clady injured and Harris coming back from another injury the OL unit seems to be off to a very bad start. Right now, the only solid veteran the Broncos have to field is Kuper. So far in OTA's, Polumbus is playing left tackle currently in OTA's :doh: and Beadles at right tackle, with S Olsen at LG and Fry at C.

That doesn't mean it's all doom and gloom, but it's a unit that could benefit from a few leaders helping build an opportunity to gel with the full transition away from zone blocking. I think having Clady and Harris on the field would go a long way to making that transition easier, especially with the questions in the interior. It could all be moot and the unit could come together in a few weeks practice or less, but it's not an ideal situation and I think a lot of how the Broncos O will operate depends on that unit improving, which is up in the air at the moment. That, if you pardon the expression, is where the rump is. I really don't think any of the QB's will do well without an improved OL, Tebow included for the simple fact as a rookie he'd have enough to worry about, even with his mobility and speed. I'm really hoping the guys in the trenches pull it off because whoever wins the QB comp will need them desperately.

Bosco
05-22-2010, 03:16 PM

I agree. I've talked repeatedly on here about how we had to turn Josh's scheme on it's ear with the way Marshall and Royal had to fit into it.

honz
05-22-2010, 03:24 PM
Hopefully one of the QB's we have takes the job by the antlers, but I vow to contribute as little as possible to all of the fluff pieces that are coming our way on this topic.

Lonestar
05-22-2010, 03:33 PM
I still have a lot of questions about the Offensive Line. They've brought in a lot of options for the interior. All the veteran signing since the draft has ended, plus Walton, Beadles, and E Olsen. I'd like to think that, in a worst case scenario the Broncos will be a little above last years par with all the new guys, but with Clady injured and Harris coming back from another injury the OL unit seems to be off to a very bad start. Right now, the only solid veteran the Broncos have to field is Kuper. So far in OTA's, Polumbus is playing left tackle currently in OTA's :doh: and Beadles at right tackle, with S Olsen at LG and Fry at C.

That doesn't mean it's all doom and gloom, but it's a unit that could benefit from a few leaders helping build an opportunity to gel with the full transition away from zone blocking. I think having Clady and Harris on the field would go a long way to making that transition easier, especially with the questions in the interior. It could all be moot and the unit could come together in a few weeks practice or less, but it's not an ideal situation and I think a lot of how the Broncos O will operate depends on that unit improving, which is up in the air at the moment. That, if you pardon the expression, is where the rump is. I really don't think any of the QB's will do well without an improved OL, Tebow included for the simple fact as a rookie he'd have enough to worry about, even with his mobility and speed. I'm really hoping the guys in the trenches pull it off because whoever wins the QB comp will need them desperately.

Well, I suspect there is reason to be concerned just because plugging one guy into the oline is an issue let alone 3 to 4.

Im not all that convinced that clady will be back for the regular season and even if he is he will have had zero reps with the new guy next to him.

BUT when they get it together they are going to kick ass, having at least 20 pounds if not 30 on what they had starting last year.

And that from what I have seen it is not fatty pounds like some of the BIggie teams use DAL and WAS.

We sucked last year running the ball for the most part (yes I know that buckey had a good YPC) but when the rubber met the road we could not pick up those 3rd and shorts and inside the RED zone for the 8th consecutive year we have sucked running the ball.

we have needed quality players on the LOS since the Superbowl years under mikey ad he was unwilling to spend the necessary draft choices to bring them in and lived on the UFA rentals to fill the holes (poorly IMO)

I think till about the BYE week we are going to suck on offense regardless who the QB is, not losing games just not winning them.

The D and ST are going to have to win some games this year, till the oline and new parts in the O figure out who is next to them and what they are supposed to do.

But once these Guys on the oline get it down pat the ruining game as well as pass protection will make a heck of a difference.

Now I do not trust Harris to watch Tebows blindside, so I think that either clady will be moved or Zane will take his place. Given that Harris should be a RFA next year I suspect they will allow him to move on IF Zane can fill his spot. IF Kuper has a good year they will resign him if not then he will be allowed to go also.

Overall I think the guys we have gotten this year for the LOS will be major upgrade over last years guys, it will take time for them to gel but they are better.

BigBroncLove
05-22-2010, 03:42 PM
Well, I suspect there is reason to be concerned just because plugging one guy into the oline is an issue let alone 3 to 4.

Im not all that convinced that clady will be back for the regular season and even if he is he will have had zero reps with the new guy next to him.

BUT when they get it together they are going to kick ass, having at least 20 pounds if not 30 on what they had starting last year.

And that from what I have seen it is not fatty pounds like some of the BIggie teams use DAL and WAS.

We sucked last year running the ball for the most part (yes I know that buckey had a good YPC) but when the rubber met the road we could not pick up those 3rd and shorts and inside the RED zone for the 8th consecutive year we have sucked running the ball.

we have needed quality players on the LOS since the Superbowl years under mikey ad he was unwilling to spend the necessary draft choices to bring them in and lived on the UFA rentals to fill the holes (poorly IMO)

I think till about the BYE week we are going to suck on offense regardless who the QB is, not losing games just not winning them.

The D and ST are going to have to win some games this year, till the oline and new parts in the O figure out who is next to them and what they are supposed to do.

But once these Guys on the oline get it down pat the ruining game as well as pass protection will make a heck of a difference.

Now I do not trust Harris to watch Tebows blindside, so I think that either clady will be moved or Zane will take his place. Given that Harris should be a RFA next year I suspect they will allow him to move on IF Zane can fill his spot. IF Kuper has a good year they will resign him if not then he will be allowed to go also.

Overall I think the guys we have gotten this year for the LOS will be major upgrade over last years guys, it will take time for them to gel but they are better.

Well I think were mostly on the same page as far this OL and the obstacles they will have to overcome. I think you're talking about a worst case scenario, where I would temper that it is possible that the Broncs won't need 8 games to gel, even if Clady finds the field later then week 1.

I am hopeful that the guys we have now are upgrades. I especially like Walton. If you were to ask the magic 8-ball I would guess you'd get the "all signs point to yes" answer to that question but ya just never know. I'm most worried about the Center. Facing two 3-4 teams in division these days we need a big stout C who can take on the NT's in the 3-4 the Broncos will be facing more and more every season. Someone smart who can quickly take the reigns of calling adjustments and blocking assignments properly.

As for Tebow and Harris, I think Harris is servicable but we can upgrade at the position. Someone who can stay on the field for an entire season, but I think we can wait one season to figure that all out before actually putting it to the test on real gameday grass. Also would prefer Beadles inside at this point then throwing him to wolves at tackle with those feet. HE may well help put my foot in my mouth, but I relish that idea over my current outlook. Lots of questions though around the OL, and I think it's questions lost in the whole QB debate. Especially since none of the QB's outside of Tebow have operated well in the past under poor protection, and Tebow is a rookie and I don't like the idea of him seeing field time this year unless he makes such a resounding case as to warrent no other options.

Lonestar
05-22-2010, 04:05 PM
Well I think were mostly on the same page as far this OL and the obstacles they will have to overcome. I think you're talking about a worst case scenario, where I would temper that it is possible that the Broncs won't need 8 games to gel, even if Clady finds the field later then week 1.

I am hopeful that the guys we have now are upgrades. I especially like Walton. If you were to ask the magic 8-ball I would guess you'd get the "all signs point to yes" answer to that question but ya just never know. I'm most worried about the Center. Facing two 3-4 teams in division these days we need a big stout C who can take on the NT's in the 3-4 the Broncos will be facing more and more every season. Someone smart who can quickly take the reigns of calling adjustments and blocking assignments properly.

As for Tebow and Harris, I think Harris is servicable but we can upgrade at the position. Someone who can stay on the field for an entire season, but I think we can wait one season to figure that all out before actually putting it to the test on real gameday grass. Also would prefer Beadles inside at this point then throwing him to wolves at tackle with those feet. HE may well help put my foot in my mouth, but I relish that idea over my current outlook. Lots of questions though around the OL, and I think it's questions lost in the whole QB debate. Especially since none of the QB's outside of Tebow have operated well in the past under poor protection, and Tebow is a rookie and I don't like the idea of him seeing field time this year unless he makes such a resounding case as to warrent no other options.

I used to be an ORG and can tell you trusting the guy next to you to do his job is paramount on your mind, and even when I played decades ago a moments hesitation by either of you can screw the pooch.

Having that many newbies in there even IF clady comes back he will not be at 100% till sometime next year.

I will hope for the best but will lean towards I'm not holding my breath for the oline to be stellar this year.

If you go back and look at the truly great Oline s in the NFL over the years they averaged about 8-12 years experience and in most cases worked next to each other for 5 or more years.

That is what really excites me down the road this is a young talented group that has a mean and nasty streak to go along with talent. they could be a franchise group for a long time.

BigBroncLove
05-22-2010, 04:18 PM
I used to be an ORG and can tell you trusting the guy next to you to do his job is paramount on your mind, and even when I played decades ago a moments hesitation by either of you can screw the pooch.

Having that many newbies in there even IF clady comes back he will not be at 100% till sometime next year.

I will hope for the best but will lean towards I'm not holding my breath for the oline to be stellar this year.

If you go back and look at the truly great Oline s in the NFL over the years they averaged about 8-12 years experience and in most cases worked next to each other for 5 or more years.

That is what really excites me down the road this is a young talented group that has a mean and nasty streak to go along with talent. they could be a franchise group for a long time.

Well, as I said before, I'm worried about the OL but I think week 8 as the soonest or likeliest point that this unit will find its stride is the pessimistic outlook. They know their work and it is extremely important on understanding what the guy next to you will do but the interior will have the entire TC/PS to find some similar ground. The biggest issue in my mind will be how the LG and C pull, stick, and move together. Clady and Harris would go a long way to helping that transition, but as far as Clady finding the field and geling with these guys im not nearly as worried about. He's a high calibre player and even at say 80% will make the LG job easier. That plus his knowledge, IMO, can only bring the group together faster.

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to understate the importance of the entire line working as a unit. That's how this whole tangent we are discussing started. I however think that, when talking abotu players of this calibre, it doesn't always take as long to get on the same page. It can, the dice just don't always fall that way.

turftoad
05-22-2010, 04:19 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/headlines/ci_15130828

Krieger: Throwing Cole on QB fire

By Dave Krieger
Denver Post Columnist (dkrieger@denverpost.com?subject=The Denver Post: Krieger: Throwing Cole on QB fire)
Posted: 05/21/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

http://extras.mnginteractive.com/live/media/site36/2010/0521/20100521_124535_krieger_200.jpg (http://www.denverpost.com/portlet/article/html/imageDisplay.jsp?contentItemRelationshipId=3020260 ) Denver Broncos QB's Brady Quinn (9) and Tim Tebow (15) look on during drills at practice Monday, May 17, 2010 at Dove Valley. John Leyba, The Denver Post (JOHN LEYBA)

An open competition to play starting quarterback in the NFL is a rare treat for fans, sportswriters and radio talk shows, like a rogue version of "American Idol" that actually produces something useful.
The more contenders the merrier, we say. The only way to improve it would be to get them to live in the same house and broadcast 2 4/7, like "The Truman Show."
So I mention Jason Cole's opinion at Yahoo! Sports not to provoke hate mail for either him or me, although in especially orange quarters it probably will. I mention it to offer a counterweight to the local exuberance of the various campaigns.
Cole writes from a national perspective for Yahoo. The other day, he ranked all 32 teams by their quarterbacks. The big news was the Steelers slipped from top four to seventh because of Ben Roethlisberger's suspension.
The Broncos? Cole had them 29th.
Personal opinion aside, there's not a lot of logic to the ranking. Orton was a middle-of-the-pack quarterback last season — 14th in passer rating. So unless you assume Broncos coach Josh McDaniels is about to replace him with someone substantially worse — a light goes on — the Broncos should still be somewhere in the middle of the pack. How Matt Leinart, Matt Cassel and Matt Stafford end up ahead of them I don't know, unless Cole has a son named Matt.
But one reason for some of the more jaundiced views from afar is that uncertainty at quarterback is almost always bad. Think about teams that aren't sure who their starters are. Carolina. Arizona. Buffalo. Not real promising situations, no matter how much you like Ryan Fitzpatrick's Wonderlic score.
Uncertainty doesn't matter this time of year, but it's going to start to matter here pretty soon, so it seems worth wondering how it gets resolved.
When I asked McDaniels the other day whether four quarterbacks — we mustn't forget Tom Brandstater, quarterback of the future a year ago — are too many, he acknowledged it will work for only so long:
"I've had four before at one point. During passing camp and the early parts of training camp, when you have 80 guys, or in this case 86 or 87 guys, you can get enough work because you've got a lot of reps. I think we had 35, 36 reps of 7-on-7 (Monday), so they all got, I think, somewhere in the neighborhood of nine or 10 plays apiece. There's not too many things that they're not getting an opportunity to rep out there. So that's the most important thing, is they're getting an opportunity to do that.
"Ideally, would you like to have an opportunity to give everybody more reps? Sure. But we're going to let that situation play out, and the competition will sort itself out and we'll end up with the right number."
So what's the plan?
Does McDaniels stick with the status quo, the incumbent Orton, design a few plays for Tebow, and let wins, losses and injuries sort it out once the season begins?
Does he look to trade Orton, his only proven commodity, to open the door for Tebow, with Quinn as his insurance policy? This would be a high-risk play that might raise the ceiling on the Broncos' quarterback play, but also lower the floor.
Does he simply drop Brandstater when reps get precious and host a three-way free-for-all right through the preseason?
Your guess is as good as mine. McDaniels has suggested several times that Tebow could be ready long before outsiders expect him to be, so a dramatic, possibly premature handoff seems possible.
The other worrisome scenario I imagine is Tebow as a part-time signal-caller, sent on to run certain plays in certain situations, then withdrawing to let Orton run the rest of the offense. I've never seen co-quarterbacks work at the pro level.
But frankly, the longer McDaniels takes to decide, the better for my racket. We can argue about this stuff endlessly, as we have only just begun to demonstrate. Come Monday, we'll be out there counting reps.
Dave Krieger: 303-954-5297, dkrieger@denverpost.com (dkrieger@denverpost.com) or twitter.com/DaveKrieger (http://twitter.com/DaveKrieger)

I think this article is spot on.