PDA

View Full Version : Red Dead Redemption - 360/PS3

Shazam!
05-20-2010, 11:55 PM
Red Dead Redemption

Red Dead Redemption (RDR) is an open-world action game developed by Rockstar San Diego and published by Rockstar for the Xbox 360 and PS3.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a7/Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg/255px-Red_Dead_Redemption.jpg

Westerns have been around for a long time in gaming, all the way back to Gunsmoke for the NES. To me, the only one to hold enough weight and depth was Ubisoft's 2006 effort GUN, which had too many issues to be a gem.

All western-themed games step aside. RDR is the king, and will not be dethroned for some time.

Grand Theft Auto Meets the Old West, and it is a wild ride.

RDR is the spiritual successor to 2004's Red Dead Revolver. It has nothing in common with the previous game, and it's not like Revolver was some sort of masterpiece that was met with critical acclaim that deserved a sequel. I think they shouldve ditched the Red Dead moniker entirely, and just called the game 'Redemption'. Whatever.

In RDR, it's 1911. The Wild West days are almost gone. Where there was once vast plains and ranchland, there are now cities being built and modern civilization is rapidly expanding. You play the role of John Marston, a former gang outlaw and murderer. Under pressure from Government officials who have threatened your family, you are sent to bring your former partners to justice.

First things first, the game generally looks spectacular at all times. The amount of detail is amazing considering the huge scope of the land. From the lip synching all the way down to Marston's facial scars, to the way your horse gallops, the sky and the sunset, the cacti, and most characters look fantastic on either system. If you play this game on a SD set and not in HD, youre missing something special. This is one of the best looking games Ive seen to date on the HD hardware. There are no graphical hiccups, pop-in, slowdown, or long load times except the first time you start the game. The engine is rock solid.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/RedDeadRedemptionGameplay.jpg

The world of RDR is simply massive, and it may seem even more massive because your main mode of transport is your horse. Galavanting around Liberty City in GTA was easy in one of your chosen stolen road rockets, but aside from the horse and the occasional stage coach or train ride, getting around becomes a chore and takes a bit of time. It may seem more frustrating to me because I dont like the riding controls. Theyre a little clumsy, but they work.

Controlling Marston though, is pretty much a breeze. Except for one portion I had a hard time getting him up three steps and into a doorway (that cost me a mission) he's smooth. The shooting mechanics are very solid. Left trigger draws your selected gun, automatically locking on to the nearest target and the right one fires. There's a cover feature so you can crouch behind rocks and walls for the extended gunfights, and youll be involved in a LOT of gunfights.

There's a fame/infamy type of system that changes the game based on your actions, whether theyre heroic or vicious. People will react to you differently accordingly, but the benefits seem to better you when you act heroic with store discounts and such.

If you thought GTA had a lot to do, RDR seems to have just as much or more. Poker, Blackjack, playing horsehoes, drinking, optional Dead or Alive 'Wanted' missions, sharpshooting, hunting, duels, herding cattle, reigning in wild mustangs, item retrieving and collecting, treasure hunting... I didnt even cover them all. This isnt even counting the side missions or random rescue missions that pop up constantly. There are plenty of ways to make cash and find it, so if your a little low on the ducets, have no fear. You can loot every person you kill, and sell your findings at any general store.

The sound is rich with Western music, the guns sound authentic but I thought they'd be louder. The horses and cattle sound so realistic as do all the animals. The voice work is spot on in cutscenes.

I cant say it enough. RDR is a likely candidate for multi-platform title of the year. Top-notch graphics, an extremely lengthy campaign with a ton of stuff to do, a pretty good backround story and solid mechanics, RDR is a cant miss, must play experience. If youre any fan of westerns and a gamer, this is a must-buy. It'll keep you busy and addicted for weeks.

9.5/10

Rated M for Mature- Blood, intense violence, strong language, use of alcohol and tobacco, nudity, strong sexual content

MasterShake
05-21-2010, 07:22 AM
Bout time they do a good western game. GUN was ok, but Call of Jaurez wasn't bad either. I'll have to pick this up.

Slick
05-21-2010, 09:20 AM
A couple of my buddies said this game was nice. I played Red Dead Revolver and liked it. When this title gets here, I'll buy it for sure.

Nice review Shazam. Thanks.

A friend told me he was sneaking around in the desert, hunting. He got off his horse to get a better look at something when a mountain lion snuck up behind him and ate his horse.

NightTrainLayne
05-21-2010, 11:33 AM
I saw a "preview" of this a week ago or so. It looks like a great game. I'll have to get it.

Shazam!
05-21-2010, 11:50 AM
The one shot to me against Call of Juarez was the constant switching between characters. It was much more fun playing the purifying priest than the bitch boy.

GUN was pretty good but had some issues. RDR is very similar, but much larger, expansive, deep and waaaay better much looking. After all GUN was ported from the PS2 and XBox.

RDR is a masterpiece. Im hooked.

MasterShake
05-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Sweet. I've been checking out tons of videos for this game and I am definitely sold. I got sick of GTA IV real quick, but I love Westerns and I need a good single player game soon. So sick of the Xbox live ********.

weazel
05-21-2010, 12:09 PM
my kid picked this up last night, I haven't looked at it yet. I'll give it a try.

Timmy!
05-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I've played for about 6 hours (at my buddies house), he picked it up on Thursday. This game is effing amazing, and I haven't even seen the multiplayer yet looks/sounds to be damn near another game by itself. Will be a couple weeks before I pick it up and I'm already wanting to kill for it :lol:

Shazam!
05-25-2010, 11:56 PM
Im about 14 hours in.

For one thing the story mode is a bit easy. I havent died since early on and I can really bring the pain now and kill mofos with ease. I have so much money that I cant spend any more.

Also, it's getting repetitive to me. All the main missions are getting pretty much the same. I know Im nearing the end, but its starting to get stale.

Is it still epic? Abo-friggin-lutely. I still stand by my words before.

Ill get Alan Wake next and post my thoughts.

Jaws
05-26-2010, 05:52 PM
my kid picked this up last night, I haven't looked at it yet. I'll give it a try.

Mine's been playing it non-stop now for days.

Shazam!
05-31-2010, 12:33 PM
I just finished it. WOW. The ending is epic, I dont want to go into it and spoil it.

Moving on to Alan Wake.

ikillz0mbies
06-01-2010, 08:32 PM
Well written Shazam. I bought this the day it came out and haven't put it down since. The free roam is great, gameplay is really fun, and you make a great point on how the gun play is expansive. It can get repetitive at times, but it is a free roam/sand box style game, so it is somewhat expected; fun nonetheless. And getting from place to place on horse can be quite a pain, especially if you need to go to the other end of the map to complete a task.

The other thing I have a complaint about is the weapon wheel. It may be just me, but I find it kind of annoying. I think it takes too much time to search for weapons, especially if you're in a middle of a gun fight. That's just me though, and it doesn't take away from how great the game is (so far). Other minor bumps I've come across are just some graphic glitches. It doesn't happen often, but I have come across it a couple of times. And one final thing, when I'm in the middle of say, stopping a guy from knifing a woman, I go to whip out my gun to shoot the guy in the middle of town, but the law enforcement nearby instantly draw their guns and fire at me! Has this happened to anyone else? (Note: I have this on PS3)

I'm just about more than half way done with the Mexico part....so I can't wait to explore what other areas the game has to offer. IMO, the attention to detail in the scenery is really great.

MasterShake
06-01-2010, 09:09 PM
Really fun game so far. I don't know if its because I like the western setting or the protagonist, but unlike Grand Theft Auto I haven't gotten bored with it after 10 hours (I still own GTAIV and have not finished it). Really enjoying taking my time on it. I love the random events, I finally shot the rope of the noose of a hanging victim today.

Another cool event is when I was hunting I got attacked by mountain lions. I hauled ass to a nearby camp fire and the lions circled the fire because they were afraid of it. Pretty neat little detail, unless it was some kind of game glitch. Either way I blew their asses away after that. :lol:

Timmy!
06-01-2010, 09:27 PM
Really fun game so far. I don't know if its because I like the western setting or the protagonist, but unlike Grand Theft Auto I haven't gotten bored with it after 10 hours (I still own GTAIV and have not finished it). Really enjoying taking my time on it. I love the random events, I finally shot the rope of the noose of a hanging victim today.

Another cool event is when I was hunting I got attacked by mountain lions. I hauled ass to a nearby camp fire and the lions circled the fire because they were afraid of it. Pretty neat little detail, unless it was some kind of game glitch. Either way I blew their asses away after that. :lol:

Watch out for grizzly bears :D

Shazam!
06-01-2010, 10:22 PM
The other thing I have a complaint about is the weapon wheel. It may be just me, but I find it kind of annoying. I think it takes too much time to search for weapons, especially if you're in a middle of a gun fight. That's just me though, and it doesn't take away from how great the game is (so far).

I hear ya it was a bit of a pain, but for the most part I was using rifles. I rarely switched only on certain situations, like whe nI entered close encounter areas I switched to either a pistol or shottie.

Other minor bumps I've come across are just some graphic glitches. It doesn't happen often, but I have come across it a couple of times.

I came across only two glitches that 'repaired' itself only towards the very end of the game. My 360 was running on overdrive and practically cooking at the time, so I attributed it to that. I have seen no issues in over 22 hours of play leading up to my glitches.

And one final thing, when I'm in the middle of say, stopping a guy from knifing a woman, I go to whip out my gun to shoot the guy in the middle of town, but the law enforcement nearby instantly draw their guns and fire at me! Has this happened to anyone else? (Note: I have this on PS3)

Are you a hero? If youre an outlaw the lawmen will get after you right quick. If youre a hero, many of your minor actions are ignored.

ikillz0mbies
06-01-2010, 10:25 PM
My actions have been heroic thus far. I don't commit a lot of crimes and I didn't have a bounty on me. I've done that quite a few times, but I was totally surprised when the law enforcement shot me right away. All of my honor/fame/etc. are all up...maybe it was just a one time thing, not a big gripe from me haha.

Obi-Wan
06-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Love this game it's great I got the limited edition game, which gives you the golden guns, war horse, original sound track and The Deadly asassin outfit, one of the scarps you need to collect to get the Deadly Asassin Outfit is to capture or kill Mo Van Barr now I have caught him but it does not register that I have has anybody had this problem?

Shazam!
06-12-2010, 12:35 AM
It probably doesnt register because you acquired what you get for catching him already.

ikillz0mbies
06-12-2010, 06:20 PM
Finished the game a couple of days ago...and I'm still not done. There is so much to do regarding side missions, challenges, etc. I LOVE it. So expansive and massive....

Hey Shazam, are you going to post E3 updates on this thread?

MasterShake
06-12-2010, 09:15 PM
This game is really fun. Haven't had a ton of time to play it, but today I decided to hog tie one of my bounties and put him on the tracks and wait for a train. The ensuing carnage put a smile on my face! :lol:

Shazam!
06-12-2010, 09:17 PM
Hey Shazam, are you going to post E3 updates on this thread?

Yes, I did it last year. What I will do is make a thread the day after it ends, about all the announcements for major titles and products.

sneakers
06-20-2010, 04:48 AM
I just bought Final Fantasy XIII last week for $30! So I will probably wait until the price goes down on this game too.

NightTrainLayne
06-28-2010, 04:26 PM
Got this Friday, and played it about 6 hours this weekend.

I love it. Really cool game, but my wife laughs at me. .. I have to admit that from the kitchen it probably sounds kind of corny with the Texas Hick accents, and some of the odd-ball story lines. :D

It's a ton of fun though, however, last night I got a little frustrated at a bug that caused me to lose about 20 minutes of a mission. Half-way through the mission with Irish in which you steal the parts for the gatling gun to work, I decided to try out the shotgun since I hadn't used it yet. Unfortunately, I got overwhelmed with bad guys, and having to reload after every second shot (double-barrel), and died sending me back to the last "check-point".

At that point, it had me in the wagon with Irish leaving the warehouse, but the blooming gate was shut. . .and no way to open it, no way to move forward. It was hilarious, because even Irish hollered, "What the ****?" The bug was frustrating, but having a character in the game express exasperation over it was very funny and just about made it worthwhile.

P.S. I'm 100% sure that Irish was saying WTF about me getting off the wagon to see if I could open the gate, but it fit the situation perfectly. :D

MasterShake
06-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Got this Friday, and played it about 6 hours this weekend.

I love it. Really cool game, but my wife laughs at me. .. I have to admit that from the kitchen it probably sounds kind of corny with the Texas Hick accents, and some of the odd-ball story lines. :D

It's a ton of fun though, however, last night I got a little frustrated at a bug that caused me to lose about 20 minutes of a mission. Half-way through the mission with Irish in which you steal the parts for the gatling gun to work, I decided to try out the shotgun since I hadn't used it yet. Unfortunately, I got overwhelmed with bad guys, and having to reload after every second shot (double-barrel), and died sending me back to the last "check-point".

At that point, it had me in the wagon with Irish leaving the warehouse, but the blooming gate was shut. . .and no way to open it, no way to move forward. It was hilarious, because even Irish hollered, "What the ****?" The bug was frustrating, but having a character in the game express exasperation over it was very funny and just about made it worthwhile.

P.S. I'm 100% sure that Irish was saying WTF about me getting off the wagon to see if I could open the gate, but it fit the situation perfectly. :D

The mistakes in this game I make really crack me up. A couple of my favorites were when I was having a shootout, I crouched down next to some TNT to take cover like a moron. I got bored of shooting and decided to let loose a flame bottle but it ricocheted off the ceiling right back to my position and blew me right the hell up. The best part is John Marsden seemed to track the flaming bottle as it landed back in front of the TNT he was hiding behind.

Another one was one of the brothel workers glitched and kept saying "Hey Cowboy" over and over. I had just saved my game, and decided to lasso her from my horse and drag her around town. She kept saying, "hey cowboy..." in her sultry voice as her body flopped around like a ragdoll behind me. After I killed her,I got my wanted level up so high from slaughtering the rest of the town the Mexican army came after me after about 20 minutes (I had a good spot to fight in town) and when I ran out of ammo I attacked everyone with my knife and went down in a blaze of gunfire. It was pretty fun, and all started with a glitch!

The thing I'm trying to do now is lasso people from on top of a train to see if I can drag them that way. Hogtying them to the tracks was fun, but that would be a blast!

Shazam!
06-28-2010, 09:32 PM
NTL,

I never even bothered with the double-barreled shottie, I used the rifle more than anything else. Wait until you get the automatic shotgun to deliver asskickings.

MasterShake
06-28-2010, 10:01 PM
NTL,

I never even bothered with the double-barreled shottie, I used the rifle more than anything else. Wait until you get the automatic shotgun to deliver asskickings.

I have never really used it either. Its good for close up kills though when you angle it towards their heads. Or is that the repeater?

NightTrainLayne
06-28-2010, 11:01 PM
NTL,

I have never really used it either. Its good for close up kills though when you angle it towards their heads. Or is that the repeater?

Yeah, I figured that out really quick. I really like the Springfield so far.

NightTrainLayne
06-28-2010, 11:02 PM
The mistakes in this game I make really crack me up. A couple of my favorites were when I was having a shootout, I crouched down next to some TNT to take cover like a moron. I got bored of shooting and decided to let loose a flame bottle but it ricocheted off the ceiling right back to my position and blew me right the hell up. The best part is John Marsden seemed to track the flaming bottle as it landed back in front of the TNT he was hiding behind.

Another one was one of the brothel workers glitched and kept saying "Hey Cowboy" over and over. I had just saved my game, and decided to lasso her from my horse and drag her around town. She kept saying, "hey cowboy..." in her sultry voice as her body flopped around like a ragdoll behind me. After I killed her,I got my wanted level up so high from slaughtering the rest of the town the Mexican army came after me after about 20 minutes (I had a good spot to fight in town) and when I ran out of ammo I attacked everyone with my knife and went down in a blaze of gunfire. It was pretty fun, and all started with a glitch!

The thing I'm trying to do now is lasso people from on top of a train to see if I can drag them that way. Hogtying them to the tracks was fun, but that would be a blast!

My favorite mistake so far was riding my horse off of a cliff which killed the horse. When I got back up and went over to check on the horse it gave me the option of skinning it, so I slaughtered my own horse and walked a few miles back to town.

Shazam!
06-28-2010, 11:30 PM
I slaughtered my own horse and walked a few miles back to town.

You can just call your horse back even after he's killed after 2 minutes if you bought one of the thoroughbreds.

NightTrainLayne
06-29-2010, 12:17 AM
You can just call your horse back even after he's killed after 2 minutes if you bought one of the thoroughbreds.

Cool. I noticed on the next mission that he was back, but didn't realize that he would come back so soon.

It seems like there's a surprise around every corner with this game.

EastCoastBronco
07-01-2010, 07:10 PM
I picked it up a couple of days ago. I hated GTA 4 but I love this.
The Texas Holdem poker is a fun diversion...

ikillz0mbies
07-02-2010, 10:59 PM
I picked it up a couple of days ago. I hated GTA 4 but I love this.
The Texas Holdem poker is a fun diversion...

Regardless of all the positive GTA4 reviews, I didn't really like the game. I don't know why, but I just couldn't find myself to enjoy it. This, however, was a much more entertaining game and is much more fun, IMO.

Oh and how is everybody liking online multiplayer?

Shazam!
07-03-2010, 12:51 AM
Regardless of all the positive GTA4 reviews, I didn't really like the game. I don't know why, but I just couldn't find myself to enjoy it.

RDR is far superior to GTAIV.

I liked GTA4, but I thought it was waaaaaay to easy. Even when your wanted level was all the way up, getting away from the police was a joke, it was so easy. It was a little deeper than the last gen versions, but IMO, Vice City was the best of the series thus far, with Ray Liotta's Tommy Vercetti being the best protagonist of the series, and one of my favorite game leads.

MasterShake
07-03-2010, 12:44 PM
RDR is far superior to GTAIV.

I liked GTA4, but I thought it was waaaaaay to easy. Even when your wanted level was all the way up, getting away from the police was a joke, it was so easy. It was a little deeper than the last gen versions, but IMO, Vice City was the best of the series thus far, with Ray Liotta's Tommy Vercetti being the best protagonist of the series, and one of my favorite game leads.

GTA4 was ok, but something about RDR just makes it superior. I guess GTA4 just felt like running errands and almost had a SIMS like quality with the dating and other crap. It was almost TOO MUCH to manage. I still own it because I haven't beat it. I think I'm like halfway through.

Red Dead Redemption plays more like Oblivion to me, which may be why I like it. Theres a lot to do, but its simple.

NightTrainLayne
07-03-2010, 06:01 PM
I enjoyed GTA IV, and I enjoy RDR. I really feel that RDR has a lot of similarities to GTA IV. They copied a bunch of the game and just put it in the old west. Of course, that's a lot of the fun of it.

sneakers
08-03-2010, 02:57 AM
http://hotimg23.fotki.com/a/192_251/125_85/1275521139789.jpg

sneakers
10-05-2012, 01:35 AM
Friggin mountain lions out of nowhere!!!!

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/052/617/1275524593670.jpg

aberdien
10-05-2012, 04:54 PM
I replayed through it this summer. Still awesome.

ShaneFalco
10-07-2012, 07:10 PM
did you play the zombie update?

sneakers
10-09-2012, 05:25 AM
did you play the zombie update?

nope, not yet. I just got the game 2 weeks ago, and I just got into mexico. There are wolves everywhere!!!!

NightTrainLayne
10-09-2012, 10:18 AM
If you get attacked by a Mountain Lion, you better be quick. Those ******** are very lethal.

MasterShake
10-09-2012, 10:59 AM
If you get attacked by a Mountain Lion, you better be quick. Those ******** are very lethal.

I came across a Jackalope once. I love little easter eggs like that in the game.

NightTrainLayne
10-09-2012, 11:54 AM
I came across a Jackalope once. I love little easter eggs like that in the game.

I guess I missed that, but that game is full of fun stuff like that. After I played through it, I traded it in at Gamestop though, so I can't go hunting for Jackalope.

ShaneFalco
10-18-2012, 11:10 PM
mountain lions scare the shit out of me in that game.

sneakers
10-30-2012, 03:47 PM
mountain lions scare the shit out of me in that game.

yes, they did. Until I discovered bears :(