PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets shopping Melo?

DomCasual
05-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on this.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/05202008/sports/nets/nets_have_eye_on_anthony_111750.htm

NETS HAVE EYE ON ANTHONY

May 20, 2008 --

The Nets want to do something, they need to do something and they will do something. The million dollar question is, What? They should start getting a better handle on matters after tonight's lottery.

The Nets, who will have investor/minority owner Jay-Z in Secaucus, are slotted to pick 10th - they have an 87 percent probability of staying there - but if they move up to any of the top three spots their chances of dealing the pick greatly increase. They have been talking around the league and one of the teams they will revisit is Denver, where Carmelo Anthony is available. League sources insist the Nuggets are making Anthony available for the right price. The Nets have spoken to Denver - Nets GM Kiki Vandeweghe drafted Anthony and reshaped the Nuggets roster when he was there.

Vandeweghe refused any comment on talks with the Nuggets but admitted the Nets will look to be active this summer but only in "trying to make deals that are good for your team so you are always talking to everybody around the league. But I am a firm believer in not making trades just to make trades."

So where the Nets pick will add to their summer intrigue. They have their own pick (likely 10) and No. 21 from Dallas through the Jason Kidd trade. Should they get No. 1, they would keep it for Michael Beasley of Kansas State. Same with No. 2, assuming Memphis' Derrick Rose went first to another team. If they got three, they might look to deal and a higher pick could be attractive to Denver.

The Nets and Nuggets discussed various parameters of a deal, which would not occur until after June 30 when the full $14.4 million on Anthony's 2008-09 contract kicks in. He is a base year compensation type, which makes trades difficult. One proposal contained "a lot of pieces" including the Nets' pick, Richard Jefferson and Marcus Williams for Anthony and Marcus Camby. One source stressed nothing is imminent and talks are still in the infancy stage.

Nickademus
05-20-2008, 11:31 AM
This is just Kiki kicking the tires attempting to see if anything might fall off that he can use. I hope our front office is not that stupid (I hope) I believe their silence is their way of sending Melo a message. and if we were to trade Melo to NJ Harris would have to be part of any discussion and especially if we are supposed to include Camby.

BroncoAV06
05-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Been going back and fourth on this in the Nuggets thread. The roster needs a bit of a shake up but trading Melo does not seem to be the right move to make. I wonder if some of his off court actions might be behind this as well? Camby will not play at this high level much longer so I can see trying to get value out of him now. Need to not build all around offense. NO one on the roster is a defender, Kuba was supposed to be a plus defender but he never sees action, Eddy is a good spark off the bench with defense but is only one man.

AI is an URFA, Eddy is as well and JR is restricted along with Kuba so there is a chance that the Nuggets if they some how pull the trigger on this trade could go into next season without AI and Melo.

As far as the trade I don't see how the value is there unless the Nets some how make it out with either #1 or 2 but they only have like a 1.1% chance at that so the Nets really have to luck out to get Melo from the Nuggets. If they do then the Nets can go down as history as owning the Nuggets, like taking candy from a baby.

MOtorboat
05-20-2008, 01:47 PM
Been going back and fourth on this in the Nuggets thread. The roster needs a bit of a shake up but trading Melo does not seem to be the right move to make. I wonder if some of his off court actions might be behind this as well? Camby will not play at this high level much longer so I can see trying to get value out of him now. Need to not build all around offense. NO one on the roster is a defender, Kuba was supposed to be a plus defender but he never sees action, Eddy is a good spark off the bench with defense but is only one man.

AI is an URFA, Eddy is as well and JR is restricted along with Kuba so there is a chance that the Nuggets if they some how pull the trigger on this trade could go into next season without AI and Melo.

As far as the trade I don't see how the value is there unless the Nets some how make it out with either #1 or 2 but they only have like a 1.1% chance at that so the Nets really have to luck out to get Melo from the Nuggets. If they do then the Nets can go down as history as owning the Nuggets, like taking candy from a baby.

A shake-up means you get rid of any two of four role-players...Martin, Camby, Smith, Nene...something like that...

Don't trade the budding super star...:confused:

I'm utterly perplexed as to why they are even entertaining this...I hope Kiki is blowing smoke out his ass...

GEM
05-20-2008, 01:48 PM
I don't see it actually happening, but if that doesn' open Melo's eyes, I don't think anything will. Your star player, franchise guy.....shopping him. WAKE UP CALL!

BroncoAV06
05-20-2008, 02:23 PM
A shake-up means you get rid of any two of four role-players...Martin, Camby, Smith, Nene...something like that...

Don't trade the budding super star...:confused:

I'm utterly perplexed as to why they are even entertaining this...I hope Kiki is blowing smoke out his ass...

Melo/Camby are the only players that have value, no harn in talks, like GEM said a wake up call maybe? Alot has to go right I would think for this trade to happen, strong rumor that will gain steam untill the draft.

BroncoAV06
05-20-2008, 06:04 PM
Well Stephen A. said tht NJ called DN and they are listening but it would be unlikely they would move Melo.

ApaOps5
05-20-2008, 06:46 PM
Yo Dom the insider on that nuggets board some of us post on shot this down as Kiki just trying to make something out of nothing.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-20-2008, 07:01 PM
The Nets calling about the availability of Carmelo Anthony doesn't mean the Nuggets are shopping him; that means the Nets are just interested.

MOtorboat
05-20-2008, 07:42 PM
Yo Dom the insider on that nuggets board some of us post on shot this down as Kiki just trying to make something out of nothing.

Thank God...I haven't had any time to get over there to see what he had to say about this...

SmilinAssasSin27
05-20-2008, 09:02 PM
This is just Kiki kicking the tires attempting to see if anything might fall off that he can use. I hope our front office is not that stupid (I hope) I believe their silence is their way of sending Melo a message. and if we were to trade Melo to NJ Harris would have to be part of any discussion and especially if we are supposed to include Camby.

I wouldn't want to send the message that says...Shape up, or we'll trade you, a young African-American Syracuse alum, to New Jersey to play for a Rap Icon w/ a young improving team...

Sumthin tells me he wouldn't have issue w/ this.

ApaOps5
05-20-2008, 09:36 PM
Thank God...I haven't had any time to get over there to see what he had to say about this...

Yeah he said from what he has heard the anonymous source is basically Kiki making stuff up.

He did say there is a lot of interest for trades though especially involving AI since his contract will be an expiring soon.

ApaOps5
05-20-2008, 10:45 PM
Ok this is straight from the insiders mouth. Its on the board you post on Missouri:

I'll try my best here... My understanding is that NJ called us to inquire about Melo. I have no idea where these rumors including Camby and Jefferson, etc. are coming from. As far as our seriousness in making a move, George has gone on record that no player is untradeable. We're not shopping Melo or looking to move him, but we will listen to offers as any good FO should. Considering NJ only landed the #10 pick tonight, I'd consider a trade there unlikely but George has said he wants some moves to be made and Melo is our most tradeable asset. Kroenke doesn't want to pay the luxury tax for a team that doesn't win, but also realizes he needs a competitive team to fill seats. I get the impression the FO regrets not taking Miami's offer of expirings for Nene. As far as managing the cap, it doesn't look like AI will be opting out and I'd expect Najera and Diawara to walk. The coaches obviously want to keep those two but keeping JR is simply a higher priority. I think Camby will finally be moved, he was offered to Memphis for Gasol but they took the expirings instead, can't say I blame them. There's not much we can do to get under the cap by luxury tax time - so the goal now is to manage it as best as possible for the future. That's why trading Camby for some expirings and/or picks seems likely.

I'd expect most of the team to be back next year, with a small move such as bringing in Chris Duhon. It's about 99% that AI will be back and unless we go deep in the playoffs - we'll let him walk following the season (don't be surprised if he tries to return to Philly. Despite the bad breakup - words can't describe what that return meant to him). Melo will be back too, again barring a great offer, he's still 23 and there's a thought these rumors may put some pressure on him to improve. Obviously no one's taking Kenyon or Nene (which somewhat burns the FO that they had an opportunity to clear Nene's salary and missed it). Chucky will be back along with Hunter as their salaries make them unattractive. Again I expect JR to be resigned and LK will be back in his contract year. I'd guess Najera, AC and Diawara will be gone and wouldn't be shocked if Camby was moved.

All in all, since the season ended, I've really seen the influence George has over things. Bearup, Wark and Chapman are certainly decision makers but it has become more and more apparent that this is George's team - right, wrong or indifferent.

Nickademus
05-21-2008, 01:42 AM
wow. Things are worse than I thought if George Freaking Karl is in charge of the front office as well as the team. I like Duhon but I would rather have Hinrich

hey which nuggets boards do you guys belong I havent really found a good one and I cant stand the Espn boards.

Ziggy
05-21-2008, 10:14 AM
If the Nuggets do trade Melo, I think the obvious partner would have to be Chicago. They are about the only team with enough young talent and a high enough pick in the draft to make it happen. Melo to Chicago for Deng, the #1 pick (Rose), and Heinrich or Duhon? I'd do it in a heartbeat, even if they wanted Camby in the deal.

ApaOps5
05-21-2008, 10:22 AM
Ok so that second post I made referencing the insider is not him. I guess some guy logged on with a name like his and is just posting crap. But he still says the New Jersey rumors are crap and just Kiki.

CoachChaz
05-21-2008, 12:26 PM
If the Nuggets do trade Melo, I think the obvious partner would have to be Chicago. They are about the only team with enough young talent and a high enough pick in the draft to make it happen. Melo to Chicago for Deng, the #1 pick (Rose), and Heinrich or Duhon? I'd do it in a heartbeat, even if they wanted Camby in the deal.

Paxson should be shot if he does this. Beasley would give Chicago the strong post threat they desperately need. Adding his game to their current roster makes them a much more complete team than adding Melo and Camby.

Retired_Member_001
05-23-2008, 06:13 AM

:laugh:

No chance in hell that trade is happening.

Melo is a known question mark, he's not worth as much as you may think. Melo to Chicago for #1 pick and scrubs is a tough one but when you want them to add DENG? You've got to be dreaming Ziggy. To get the #1 pick, Hinrich, Duhon AND Deng, you'd have to throw in the whole Nuggets Team.

MOtorboat
05-23-2008, 08:12 AM

Melo is a known question mark, he's not worth as much as you may think. Melo to Chicago for #1 pick and scrubs is a tough one but when you want them to add DENG? You've got to be dreaming Ziggy. To get the #1 pick, Hinrich, Duhon AND Deng, you'd have to throw in the whole Nuggets Team.

Well, I suppose if we get Beasley out of the deal and can hang on to, oh, let's say Kleiza and Nene, let's do it.

BroncoAV06
05-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Bulls will not trade unless it would be for a player like Kobe (bet they wich they had this pick last year!), Melo is not going anywhere(from the reports), and well guess the Netw reporters will have to start rumors about another player.

Ziggy
05-23-2008, 02:47 PM

Dreaming is a good word for it, although I disagree on Melo's value. He's 24, the main cog on the USA team, he's a superstar that is signed for the next 3 years, and been relatively injury free. I think Chicago would be crazy to go for that deal myself, but it all depends on how much they want to put a young superstar back on the floor. Right now Chicago has a lot of young talent, but nobody that is recognized worldwide. Don't underestimate the power of marketing in the NBA. Melo has that, and will be even more popular if team USA brings home the gold.

turftoad
05-23-2008, 03:22 PM
I like Melo but think he's full of himself. He plays hard when he wants to. If he played hard in every outing he'd be great. He doesn't.
He's still a good young player and maybe he'll mature but he's not worth what we think he's worth.
Have to agree with Wookie on this one.

Ziggy
05-23-2008, 03:27 PM
I like Melo but think he's full of himself. He plays hard when he wants to. If he played hard in every outing he'd be great. He doesn't.
He's still a good young player and maybe he'll mature but he's not worth what we think he's worth.
Have to agree with Wookie on this one.

Can't argue with that. That's why I'm all for trading him before everyone else figures out what we already know.:beer: