05-20-2010, 08:49 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15122019

Branson means business after earning promotion
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/20/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Tony Scheffler is gone.

And then came Branson.

"I'm pretty sure I can handle it," said Marquez Branson, an undrafted rookie in 2009 who has been promoted to be Scheffler's heir apparent as the Broncos' "receiving" tight end for 2010. "If I couldn't, I don't think I would be here getting the opportunity. I'm going to keep working my hardest and see what happens."

Lost amid the numerous headline-making moves by the Broncos in recent months was an acquisition they didn't make.

They moved to essentially replace top wide receiver Brandon Marshall by drafting Demaryius Thomas in the first round. They took a year, but the Broncos essentially replaced "franchise" quarterback Jay Cutler by drafting Tim Tebow, also in the first round.

But to replace Scheffler, one of the NFL's top threats at tight end? The Broncos did nothing other than promote Branson from their practice squad.

"You didn't see him last year, but we have very high expectations and high hopes for him," coach Josh McDaniels said of Branson last month.

Nineteen tight ends were drafted in 2009 — including Richard Quinn Jr., whom Denver picked in the second round. Branson was not among the selected, primarily because he's undersized — at 6-feet-2 and 241 pounds, he's 3 inches shorter and nearly 15 pounds lighter than Scheffler — and played against small-college competition at Central Arkansas.

Branson came to the Broncos' training camp last year along with a large group of undrafted free agents that included Stanley Bryant, Marcus Gordon, David Grimes, D.J. Johnson, Travis Shelton, Lucas Taylor and Kestahn Moore.

If those names don't sound familiar, it's probably because all were cut before the regular season began. Including Branson.

But after he was signed back to the Broncos' practice squad, Branson showed Wednesday through Friday he has the want-to, if not the size, to become a willing blocker. He also did a fair job imitating the likes of Antonio Gates, Jason Witten, Dallas Clark and Brent Celek while playing on the Broncos' in-week scout team.

"I worked my tail off last year, and all that hard work is paying off," Branson said. "I'm very appreciative."

This season, Branson will likely play an H-back role similar to what Clark and Chris Cooley play.

"He's more of a pass catcher — maybe spread him away from the formation some," McDaniels said. "We were fortunate to get him after the draft last year. There were some teams that were even interested in getting him off our practice squad as the season went on."

Branson is off the practice squad now, and on the real squad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Branson file
Player: Marquez Branson

Position: "Receiving" tight end

Born: Feb. 14, 1987

Height, weight: 6-feet-2, 241 pounds

Hometown: Starkville, Miss.

Colleges: Central Arkansas and East Mississippi Community College

Acquired: Undrafted rookie in 2009; signed as a college free agent along with nose tackle Chris Baker and punter Britton Colquitt.

Scouting report: Branson will be a little tougher for Denver quarterbacks to find; he is 3 inches smaller than Tony Scheffler. He caught 18 touchdown passes and averaged 15.1 yards per catch in two seasons at Central Arkansas.

Dirk
05-20-2010, 09:12 AM
Some times those undrafted players become bread and butter. Let's hope he is one of them!! :beer:

SOCALORADO.
05-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Yeah, sure if he pans out great, but Dick Quinn better make a huge impact playing actual football this year.

TXBRONC
05-20-2010, 09:34 AM
Yeah, sure if he pans out great, but Dick Quinn better make a huge impact playing actual football this year.

Unless Graham gets hurt I'm not sure he will.

slim
05-20-2010, 11:04 AM
In Dick I trust!

TXBRONC
05-20-2010, 11:11 AM
In Dick I trust!

:shocked: :bolt:

shank
05-20-2010, 11:31 AM
In Dick I trust!

slim totally wants dick's richard.

honz
05-20-2010, 11:42 AM
In Dick I trust!

I'm not sure if you realize this, but there are probably better ways to phrase that. I'm a big fan of Dick too, though. I hope he comes through for us this year.

slim
05-20-2010, 11:58 AM
I'm not sure if you realize this, but there are probably better ways to phrase that. I'm a big fan of Dick too, though. I hope he comes through for us this year.

I think most people are a fan of Dick, whether or not they are willing to admit it.

BroncoWave
05-20-2010, 12:04 PM
This guy seems more like a Dick blocker than a catcher, and nobody likes a Dick blocker!

arapaho2
05-20-2010, 03:08 PM
lets not forget not only is the mismatch afforded by a 6'4"-6'6" te absent, but at at 6"2 with a 4.69 forty so is the speed to beat the linebacker

any nickle back worth his salt will not have any trouble keeping up with this guy, not will the best linebackers...his size is not what your lookin for in a pass catching te

lets hope for the best but i dont see him as an equal or improvemnt

slim
05-20-2010, 03:11 PM
slim totally wants dick's richard.

Shank, don't lie. You know you love Dick.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-20-2010, 03:17 PM
Addition by subtraction with the ousting of Peyton Hills. He can have a nice impact on the team. More likely that our running backs will receive more options out of the backfield. Amazing potential as a receiver.

Bosco
05-21-2010, 03:01 AM
Unless Graham gets hurt I'm not sure he will.

You realize that McDaniels offenses are heavy on two TE sets right? Quinn is going to get plenty of playing time no matter what.

lets not forget not only is the mismatch afforded by a 6'4"-6'6" te absent, but at at 6"2 with a 4.69 forty so is the speed to beat the linebacker Tony Scheffler's 40 times were between 4.55 and 4.61 depending on the source. It's not unreasonable to think Branson could drop a half second or more off his time with NFL level training and conditioning, and that would put him right in Scheffler's range.

any nickle back worth his salt will not have any trouble keeping up with this guy, not will the best linebackers...his size is not what your lookin for in a pass catching te How many nicklebacks are going to go up against a 6-2 240lb target with ease?

lets hope for the best but i dont see him as an equal or improvemnt He's an UDFA, so the odds are obviously stacked against him ever becoming a legit performer. That said, he'll get a chance here and if he doesn't cut it we can look elsewhere in 2011 or 2012.

TXBRONC
05-21-2010, 04:11 PM
You realize that McDaniels offenses are heavy on two TE sets right? Quinn is going to get plenty of playing time no matter what.

You do realize that Quinn has prove he belongs on the field something he hasn't done yet right?

Bosco
05-21-2010, 05:05 PM
Quinn has prove he belongs on the field something he hasn't done yet right?

Says who?

TXBRONC
05-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Says who?

What do you mean says who? If was able to get onto the field for offensive plays McDaniels wouldn't have hesitated to put him in even last year.

arapaho2
05-21-2010, 10:50 PM
Bosco
Tony Scheffler's 40 times were between 4.55 and 4.61 depending on the source. It's not unreasonable to think Branson could drop a half second or more off his time with NFL level training and conditioning, and that would put him right in Scheffler's range.

i think tony was 6'5"? thats means alot...it means an average 6' nickle is undersized, and at 4.55 most lbrs are to slow,
at 5'10 to 6'2 most nickles are much faster and nearly as big...they can blanket him or close on him easy....i didnt put in his high end speed..of 4.74...which is no where close to tonys range...also dont you think tony would have been afforded the same nfl training and conditioning to shave his time even further?

How many nicklebacks are going to go up against a 6-2 240lb target with ease?

not many...bcause most pass catching te's are in the 6'4 ..6'6 range....at 4.69 most nickles will have no trouble closing on him, or just blanketing him

He's an UDFA, so the odds are obviously stacked against him ever becoming a legit performer. That said, he'll get a chance here and if he doesn't cut it we can look elsewhere in 2011 or 2012.

sure ...lets see we had a 6'5 te with terriffic speed for his size...and we replace him with a undrafted slow short guy:coffee:

i hope it works

Bosco
05-22-2010, 12:15 AM
What do you mean says who? If was able to get onto the field for offensive plays McDaniels wouldn't have hesitated to put him in even last year.

He was the 3rd tight end. How much time do those guys see, save for the goal line and obvious short yardage formations, which Quinn was in?

Josh has been watching Quinn for over a year now. If he had any serious reservations about his ability then he wouldn't have let him become the #2 tight end by default.

i think tony was 6'5"? thats means alot...it means an average 6' nickle is undersized, and at 4.55 most lbrs are to slow,
at 5'10 to 6'2 most nickles are much faster and nearly as big...they can blanket him or close on him easy.... Those nickel corners can blanket him all they want, it won't fix the size and strength advantage he has on them.

also dont you think tony would have been afforded the same nfl training and conditioning to shave his time even further? No, because he spent basically every off season rehabbing injuries.

not many...bcause most pass catching te's are in the 6'4 ..6'6 range....at 4.69 most nickles will have no trouble closing on him, or just blanketing him How many tight ends in the NFL have a speed advantage over the average nickle corner? Very, very few.

sure ...lets see we had a 6'5 te with terriffic speed for his size...and we replace him with a undrafted slow short guy:coffee:

i hope it works It doesn't really matter all that much if it works. McD's offense works just fine without a field stretching tight end.

Lonestar
05-22-2010, 12:29 AM
This season, Branson will likely play an H-back role similar to what Clark and Chris Cooley play.

"He's more of a pass catcher — maybe spread him away from the formation some," McDaniels said. "We were fortunate to get him after the draft last year. There were some teams that were even interested in getting him off our practice squad as the season went on."

Branson is off the practice squad now, and on the real squad.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Branson file
Player: Marquez Branson

Position: "Receiving" tight end

Born: Feb. 14, 1987

Height, weight: 6-feet-2, 241 pounds

same height as Shannon Sharpe IIRC and about 10 pounds heavier

As an H back that SS used to play most of the time being in motion not sure why anyone is pissing and moaning about TS being gone.

Plus it seems that he going to see time at FB just about the tight size for that IMHO.

SonoftheSouth
05-22-2010, 04:02 AM
Scheffler's gone. Shannon's retired. This year it's either Graham, R. Quinn, Branson or some dude as yet unknown to us. That's the way it is, so let's stop bemoaning the loss of past players and cheering on the ones we have! Go Broncos!!

Broncolingus
05-22-2010, 04:08 AM
I like Branson, MO...

...that actually fits in this thread you know!

Requiem / The Dagda
05-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Richard Quinn actually had extremely solid run blocking metrics when he saw the field, which was his strength with the Tar Heels. He is going to see plenty of time. Look at the roster. We invested in him highly for a reason.

TXBRONC
05-22-2010, 09:21 AM
He was the 3rd tight end. How much time do those guys see, save for the goal line and obvious short yardage formations, which Quinn was in?

Josh has been watching Quinn for over a year now. If he had any serious reservations about his ability then he wouldn't have let him become the #2 tight end by default.

How do you know. Quinn being the number 2 tight end right before start of camp doesn't mean anything. You made alot of assumptions with nothing to back it up.

Bosco
05-22-2010, 02:55 PM
How do you know. Quinn being the number 2 tight end right before start of camp doesn't mean anything. You made alot of assumptions with nothing to back it up.

Already answered this.

honz
05-22-2010, 03:17 PM
Branson is better than Cheffeler because Cheffeler sucked.

TXBRONC
05-22-2010, 10:25 PM
Already answered this.

No you really didn't answer anything you made an assumption but there is no way for you to know unless you're on the coaching staff which I'm pretty sure you're not.

Bosco
05-22-2010, 10:39 PM
No you really didn't answer anything you made an assumption but there is no way for you to know unless you're on the coaching staff which I'm pretty sure you're not.

It's not really an assumption because McDaniels has repeatedly spoken about having competition, and his actions support those statements. You need to look no further than the QB, WR, OL, DL, ILB, CB and Safety positions for proof of this.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-22-2010, 10:53 PM
Are we really hyping an undersized, undrafted TE from a division 2 school who hasn't taken an NFL snap? Geez, the offseason needs to end!

TXBRONC
05-22-2010, 11:07 PM
Are we really hyping an undersized, undrafted TE from a division 2 school who hasn't taken an NFL snap? Geez, the offseason needs to end!

Not me, it's a nice little story but that's it.

honz
05-22-2010, 11:23 PM
Yes, we are hyping him because there is no way that he can be worse than Tony "Soprano Singer" Scheffler.

Lonestar
05-23-2010, 03:06 AM

Let's see savanna state is not exactly USC either. And he turned out pretty good. About the same size they are.

Not all "TE's" are 6-6 + like gates is.

Besides he is going to play H back and FB primarily.

Someone mentioned that nickle backs were about his size. PLEASE show me one that is 6-2 241. Most nickle backs are under 6 and 200 pounds.

If Josh were to have spent a first day pick on him then you could bitch about it.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

GGMoogly
05-23-2010, 03:53 AM

This is PRECISELY what the off-season is for...before reality sets in! :D

TXBRONC
05-23-2010, 09:20 AM
Let's see savanna state is not exactly USC either. And he turned out pretty good. About the same size they are.

Someone mentioned that nickle backs were about his size. PLEASE show me one that is 6-2 241. Most nickle backs are under 6 and 200 pounds.

If Josh were to have spent a first day pick on him then you could bitch about it.

Did you miss the part about him not having taken an NFL snap yet?

HORSEPOWER 56
05-23-2010, 09:46 AM

You mean like Richard Quinn? :tsk:

Wow, now you're comparing Branson to Shannon Sharpe? Whether you want to or not, you just did. Not every late round RB is the next TD, not every late round or undrafted Wr is Rod Smith, and not every late/undrafted TE is the next Shannon Sharpe.

This is just another one of those offseason articles about a scrub that gets everyone all worked up into believing that he's the next great thing. How many articles have I had to endure about Josh Barrett, Hamza Abdullah, Dicky Lyons, etc, etc, etc about how they're "working hard" and how they're going to "take advantage of their opportunity to make the roster and contribute."

Whatever. When Branson catches his first pass in live action, maybe I'll bat an eyelash. Branson sure as shit shouldn't be the guy the Broncos attempt to "get more involved" in the offense. When Eddie Royal and all of our high draft pick WRs have had their fill of receptions, only then should we worry about looking Branson's way.

This guy is not the next Shannon Sharpe, Dallas Clark, or Antonio Gates. That I'd be willing to bet a paycheck, on.

Lonestar
05-23-2010, 10:28 AM
You must care because your oosting in the thread. Who cares. No one really cares about whther you bat an ete lash.

but he has just as much chance at being the next Sharpe as anyone does. Has the same measurables as he did.

Don't like the comparisons don't read them. In fact stay away till the season starts not sure you would be missed.

The kid is busting his ass to fufill a dream. Why do you have to rain on his parade.

Better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt. Words to live by.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-23-2010, 11:14 AM
You must care because your oosting in the thread. Who cares. No one really cares about whther you bat an ete lash.

but he has just as much chance at being the next Sharpe as anyone does. Has the same measurables as he did.

Don't like the comparisons don't read them. In fact stay away till the season starts not sure you would be missed.

The kid is busting his ass to fufill a dream. Why do you have to rain on his parade.

Better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt. Words to live by.

So I criticize an article about a practice squad/scrub player as the usual "fluff" piece that normally comes along this time of year and you resort to personal attacks against me, Jr? As a MOD I would think you would know better. Once again, someone who doesn't immediately jump aboard the Jrwiz way of thinking is immediately PERSONALLY ATTACKED. How about you stay away? Your old, grumpy, tired assed attitude toward any poster that doesn't immediately share your opinion is ridiculous and directly violates the COC. This isn't a one time thing, this happens DAILY with you. You need to take some time off and re-evaluate the way you treat folks around here. Your credibility takes a serious hit every time you post "tantrums" directed at individuals like the post above...

Lonestar
05-23-2010, 12:00 PM
So I criticize an article about a practice squad/scrub player as the usual "fluff" piece that normally comes along this time of year and you resort to personal attacks against me, Jr? As a MOD I would think you would know better. Once again, someone who doesn't immediately jump aboard the Jrwiz way of thinking is immediately PERSONALLY ATTACKED. How about you stay away? Your old, grumpy, tired assed attitude toward any poster that doesn't immediately share your opinion is ridiculous and directly violates the COC. This isn't a one time thing, this happens DAILY with you. You need to take some time off and re-evaluate the way you treat folks around here. Your credibility takes a serious hit every time you post "tantrums" directed at individuals like the post above...

please show me where I attacked you in the following quote. Corrected for spelling only

Originally Posted by Jrwiz
You must care because you are posting in the thread. Who cares. No one really cares about whther you bat an eye lash.

But he has just as much chance at being the next Sharpe as anyone does. Has the same measurables as he did.

Don't like the comparisons don't read them. In fact stay away till the season starts, not sure you would be missed.

If you feel like I attacked you report it.