PDA

View Full Version : 2008 NBA Free Agents

SmilinAssasSin27
05-19-2008, 11:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents

Nice list of potential Free Agents this year. Stephen A. Smith said the Spurs may only bring back Manu, Tony, Timmy and Bruce and that had me wondering who was out there.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of Clippers make their ways to SA. Maggette and/or Brand would be great additions.

Josh Smith is restricted, but may be worth taking a stab at...as would Luol Deng.

Trevor Ariza would be a real nice fit in SA. Very solid defensive role player w/ some youth.

A few other names out there, but those caught my eye.

BroncoAV06
05-19-2008, 11:29 PM
How are the Spurs about spending? Would they have enough to go after Brand who will get paid.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-19-2008, 11:32 PM
Timmy is getting paid. So is Parker. Manu's cost is reasonable. They can afford 1 large deal. Brand may cost too much, but they do have flexibility. Jermaine O'Neal could be another option if they want more talent inside.

BroncoAV06
05-20-2008, 07:25 PM
Bulls land top pick.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-20-2008, 08:26 PM
Rose is from Chicago, but Beasley may fit better. Who do ya take?

Miami has to be pleased. They'll get one of em, w/o the pressure of having to choose which one. Whoever is left is a no brainer and the fans can't complain.

BTW...Does Minnesota need an OJ Mayo?

Inkana7
05-20-2008, 09:26 PM
I want Cleveland to pick up a big guy who can defend AND score. Antwan Jamison would be a dream.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-20-2008, 09:54 PM
Too old. They need a long term solution...Deng.

BroncoAV06
05-21-2008, 01:38 PM
Rose is from Chicago, but Beasley may fit better. Who do ya take?

Miami has to be pleased. They'll get one of em, w/o the pressure of having to choose which one. Whoever is left is a no brainer and the fans can't complain.

BTW...Does Minnesota need an OJ Mayo?

Minny, from what I have heard they would have liked Beasley, move Jefferson over to Center, they like Foye at the point and think he can develope well, McCants is an ok SG, but Mayo has the hipe as an NBA scorer. I just don't like OJ Mayo overall, might score but to many other marks against him in my book. May looks to be the choice, with Brewer last year they might avoid the Euro Danilo Gallinari 6-10 220 SF Italy 1988, and the bigs that high outside of Randolph are not athletic bigs per say more classic.

BeefStew25
05-21-2008, 01:39 PM
Mayo is toxic. He seems like a crappier Derrick Coleman.

Rex
05-21-2008, 01:46 PM
Mayo is toxic. He seems like a crappier Derrick Coleman.

So you wont be rocking any Mayo jerseys?

BeefStew25
05-21-2008, 01:52 PM
So you wont be rocking any Mayo jerseys?

I might rock a Jason Bennett jersey for the Argentinian C league is going to be playing in.

CoachChaz
05-21-2008, 02:40 PM
SA won't be signing a guy like Brand. With Duncan, Parker and Manure, they have plenty of offense. all they need is role players to fill in the gaps. Brand would cost way too much and there would be enough shots to go around.

Lookf ro Philly to make the biggest splash for Brand.

BroncoAV06
05-27-2008, 02:08 PM
I guess this could turn into the free agent/draft thread?
Chad Ford Mock:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2008/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-080527

Here is some news from some workouts.

CHICAGO -- The city was abuzz Wednesday morning, fresh off the news that the Bulls had done the impossible -- winning the draft lottery despite having just a 1.7 percent chance.

As the city debated whom the Bulls should take with the No. 1 pick -- Michael Beasley or Derrick Rose, I spent the day watching draft prospects in Tim Grover's new state-of-the-art training facility -- the A.T.T.A.C.K. Athletics Center.

Grover's new gym is so cutting-edge it puts even the best NBA training facilities to shame. Four full NBA courts, spacious locker rooms, incredible workout machines, including an underwater treadmill, plus a players' lounge with an 85-inch plasma screen, pool tables, and private rooms for sleeping and playing video games -- it's amazing.

In the dressing room are lockers for Michael Jordan, Kobe Bryant and Dwyane Wade -- three of Grover's most famous professional clients -- along with individual stalls with gold-plated names for his pre-draft clients: O.J. Mayo, Bill Walker, Brandon Rush, Chris Douglas-Roberts, Donte Greene and others.

Grover's gym has become such a destination that William "Worldwide" Wesley sat at courtside the entire day. He seemed perfectly at home.

I've been coming to Grover's pre-draft workouts since 2001. No one has a better reputation for getting players stronger and more explosive and for teaching core pro fundamentals that will be crucial to NBA success.

On Friday, we'll do a full feature and breakdown of Grover's top client: Mayo. Here's a look at some of the other top prospects in the gym, starting with Mayo's high school teammate Walker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill Walker, G/F, Kansas State

Walker has been on the NBA radar screen since 10th grade. His explosive leaping and scoring abilities drew comparisons to Vince Carter. By the time he first became eligible in December 2006 at Kansas State, many NBA scouts had him pegged as a potential top-5 pick in the 2007 NBA draft.

But then disaster struck. Just seven games into Walker's college career, he ruptured his ACL. Walker struggled to come back. He showed up with a touring American team in Italy at the Reebok Eurocamp and looked slow and overweight.

By the time his sophomore season started, Walker was regaining some of his athleticism, but he was still 20 to 30 pounds overweight and struggled to put it together on the court. With the exception of one huge game versus Cal, Walker didn't start turning it on again until late December.

By the end of the season, Walker was beginning to look like the player we once knew in high school but still seemed far from becoming a potential lottery pick again. A disappointing NCAA tournament for Kansas State ended most of the talk about Walker's even cracking the first round.

However, two months later, a different Walker is on the court. Walker has dropped nearly 30 pounds and has totally rehabbed his knee, and I'm happy to report he is dropping highlight reel dunks by the minute.

"He's been an animal in here," Grover said. "He wants it. He's been working really hard, and it's paying off. He's so explosive, and he's always in attack mode."

Walker also is working on stabilizing his jump shot. Although his shooting has improved over the years, he doesn't have the needed consistency. Grover also has been working on teaching Walker the nuances of the game. He's been showing him film of Wade and Paul Pierce. Walker spent a considerable amount of his time on Wednesday working on his jab step, for example.

Walker told me he's skipping the Orlando pre-draft camp and is hoping to land in workouts against some of the other top small forwards in the draft -- Greene, Joe Alexander, Rush and Douglas-Roberts.

If he feels he'll be a first-round pick, he likely will stay in the draft. It will be interesting to see how NBA teams react to Walker. The last time he looked like this, he was considered one of the top players in the draft. Does he have enough time to convince GMs that the old Bill Walker is back? He's off to a scintillating start.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brandon Rush, G/F, Kansas

Rush is an old hand at this. He declared for the draft out of high school and again last year after his sophomore season. An ACL injury that summer put his NBA dream on hold. Rush came back two games into the season and slowly, as the campaign went on, got back into form. He seemed to get stronger every week, and by March, he looked like the best player on the Jayhawks again.

He's been working nonstop for several weeks and looks as though he, too, finally has regained his explosiveness and lateral quickness.

What is appealing about Rush is his beautiful jump shot, his smooth demeanor and his above-average size for his position. He also can be a lockdown defender and possesses a great basketball IQ.

The only real knock on Rush is that he wasn't as aggressive as his talent suggested he should be. He often left Kansas fans wanting more. He seems comfortable, at times, just fitting in.

On Wednesday, I saw him work out with Wolves forward Antoine Walker. Rush shot about 80 to 90 percent from the field in the workout. He can hit his shot from just about anywhere. He also has the size and skill to post up smaller guards.

He reminds me, in a lot of ways, of the Hawks' Joe Johnson. He has such a smoothness to his game that he looks effortless at times. I expect Rush will draw some serious attention just outside the lottery from teams with an eye toward the playoffs. Teams such as the Suns, Cavs and Magic could insert Rush directly into the rotation and get solid production from him as a rookie.

Right now, I have him going No. 22 to the Magic, but I wouldn't be shocked if he went as high as 15 to the Suns. He's the type of athletic shooter/defender that should be a perfect fit in Phoenix.

Chris Douglas-Roberts, G/F, Memphis

It's interesting to see Douglas-Roberts working out in the same gym as Rush. They were matched up head-to-head in the NCAA title game. Douglas-Roberts had the better stat line, but Rush ended up with the win.

The final outcome of the NCAA tournament highlights the differences between the two. Douglas-Roberts is a slasher with an aggressive scoring mentality. He wills his way to hole. He's capable of huge scoring outbursts, and that's always going to be a plus for NBA scouts.

Douglas-Roberts doesn't have the size or the athleticism of Rush, however. Nor is his aim as accurate from long distance. And as good a scorer as he is, he doesn't seem to have the calm demeanor and leadership qualities Rush possesses.

With that said, a handful of NBA GMs that I spoke with have Douglas-Roberts ranked higher than Rush. Said one, "The league always needs guys who can score. We can obsess all you want about physical attributes, leaping ability and wingspan, but at the end of the game, the team with the most buckets wins. Douglas-Roberts will get you buckets."

I didn't see anything Wednesday to change my opinion from the season. Douglas-Roberts has a chance of being an excellent NBA scorer and should land somewhere in the 20s in the first round.

Jeremy Pargo , PG, Gonzaga

Jeremy Pargo was the other really intriguing player in the gym.

He is a very explosive athlete who attacks the basket. He's a streaky shooter, but when he's hot, watch out. He's debating whether to play in Orlando. If he does, I could see him moving up draft boards. After the first few point guards are off the board, teams will be looking in the late first round and Pargo will be interesting.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

BOSSHOGG30
05-27-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm crossing my fingers that the Sixers bring in Elton Brand.... I've seen a few rumors that they are highly interested. He would really boost the teams level of play.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-27-2008, 04:34 PM
I dunno who they are gonna bring in, but SA is gonna have plenty of openings. I like the C from Golden State and Deng. Like I said before, Ariza would also be a nice fit as he can defend. That would be 3 young, solid defenders who are more athletic than Oberto, Finley and Horry at this point. I don't think any huge names are realistic, but they can grab 2-3 2nd or 3rd tier players to set up the team for the next handful of years.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-27-2008, 04:45 PM
I'd love to bring in a few of the following for their potential, athleticism and, most of all, youth. I don't think any of the following are unobtainable:

Josh Childress, SF, RFA, Atlanta Hawks
Andris Beidrins, C, RFA, Golden State Warriors
Trevor Ariza, SF, UFA, LA Lakers
Jannero Pargo, PG, UFA, New Orleans Hornets
Paul Millsap, PF, RFA, Utah Jazz

honz
05-27-2008, 04:51 PM
I'd love to bring in a few of the following for their potential, athleticism and, most of all, youth. I don't think any of the following are unobtainable:

Josh Childress, SF, RFA, Atlanta Hawks
Andris Beidrins, C, RFA, Golden State Warriors
Trevor Ariza, SF, UFA, LA Lakers
Jannero Pargo, PG, UFA, New Orleans Hornets
Paul Millsap, PF, RFA, Utah Jazz
No way that GS lets Biedrins slip away. They are going to give him some serious money. And Paul Millsap still has another year to play in Utah (team option). I hope the Jazz don't let Sap go, the dude is a beast and one of my favorite players.

The other 3 on that list should be attainable at a reasonable price, though.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-27-2008, 05:12 PM
Vaughn may go so Pargo would be a nice backup for Parker. Ariza COULD be the next Bowen and w/ Manu coming off the bench, Childress could be the staarter next year. I'm sure they go a different route w/ players from Lithuania I've never heard of, but I can dream...

honz
05-27-2008, 05:18 PM
I love Childress' game and like Ariza's game, although I haven't really seen Ariza play very much, but neither of them are good shooters. It seems like the Spurs brass and coaches like shooters to help spread the floor for Timmy and Tony Longoria.

BroncoAV06
05-27-2008, 06:34 PM
Phil really likes Trevor and I dont think the Lakers are going to let him get away after trading for him this year. As for Josh heard that he could get some pretty good offers from teams.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-27-2008, 07:02 PM
I love Childress' game and like Ariza's game, although I haven't really seen Ariza play very much, but neither of them are good shooters. It seems like the Spurs brass and coaches like shooters to help spread the floor for Timmy and Tony Longoria.

I think Childress can develop into a very nice player. I think his shot is/will be fine. Ariza would be strictly for defensive purposes. SA will always have veteran gunners, but they still need to get younger. As angry as a certain Dukie is in Orlando, I'd LOVE for SA to make a trade to bring him in. I don't necessarily like him, but he can gun and plays very hard. Besides, if people wanna hate SA, we should get more players for everyone to loathe.

BroncoAV06
06-02-2008, 12:38 PM
Ford's thoughts on the end of the Orlando Pre-Draft Camp:

ORLANDO, Fla. -- After three days of watching second-round players in pickup
games, all eyes turned Friday to the top 15 American prospects in the NBA draft.

While the camp participants battled in front of a sparse crowd, most of the top NBA executives and coaches crowded into the corner of the gym to watch the players who chose to skip the camp go through some shooting, ballhandling and athletic drills.

Here's a quick hit at how they looked:

Beasley was the first player on the floor but the last to go through the workout. While other workouts were going on, we all watched in awe as Beasley drained NBA 3-pointer after NBA 3-pointer. That continued in the workouts, in which Beasley shot as well as any prospect here. Deep or midrange, Beasley can shoot the lights out.

I also caught a sneak peek of Beasley's vertical jump test. He touched the 11-foot-9 mark on his running jump. Assuming he has a standing reach of about 8-foot-10, that's a 35-inch vertical. Not off the charts, but not too shabby, either.

Derrick Rose, PG, Memphis

Rose won't look especially great in these drills. His jump shot is his weakness, though it's not as bad as some people make it out to be. He hit a respectable number of shots in the workouts and showed his value with his speed, leaping ability and ballhandling.

O.J. Mayo, SG, USC

Mayo's fundamentals really showed here. He looked as smooth and as comfortable as any of the prospects in the gym. His shot was falling from everywhere, and he showed great poise.

It was interesting to watch one front-office team -- from the Heat -- zero in on Mayo. Many times, NBA executives and scouts spend as much time talking as they do watching the action. When Mayo was on the floor, he had the undivided attention of Pat Riley and GM Randy Pfund.

Jerryd Bayless, PG, Arizona

Bayless also looked good in workouts. He ran the floor well, shot the ball well and looked like an all-around good prospect. He's slighter than most of the players he's competing against in the draft, but his skill really showed.

Anthony Randolph, PF, LSU

I thought Randolph really helped himself in this workout. He moves incredibly well for a big man, showed great quickness and leaping ability, and shot the ball much better than expected. Randolph also looked as if he has gained some weight, which should really help his cause. I think Randolph is one of the five top prospects in this draft.

Brook Lopez, C, Stanford

Lopez was one of the few prospects who didn't look great. These types of drills aren't really tailor-made for big men -- especially ones who don't have elite athleticism. Lopez did show some nice touch around the basket in some big man drills, but he wasn't going to stand out here.

Eric Gordon, SG, Indiana

Gordon is the strongest and possibly the biggest of the combo guards vying for a lottery pick. He seemed a little more tentative than some of the other prospects and shot some air balls and some eyebrow-raising jumpers at times. However, he calmed down as the workout went on and ended with a much more solid shooting performance in the final minutes.

D.J. Augustin, PG, Texas

Augustin showed his ability to shoot the basketball. He doesn't get to do a lot of point guard things here … and those are Augustin's forte. He definitely looked really small out there and doesn't have the explosive quickness or athleticism that some of the other prospects had, but overall, I thought Augustin looked good.

Russell Westbrook, PG, UCLA

Westbrook was another prospect who really helped his cause here. His quickness, explosiveness and ability to change direction were scintillating in workouts. He also shot the ball extremely well in a number of drills, answering the critics who claim he's not a good shooter. If you compared Westbrook and Augustin head-to-head in just the drills, Westbrook would win hands down. However, it's his ability to be a floor leader in the game that teams still question.

Kevin Love, PF, UCLA

Love also performed well here. He continues to slim down, and a number of scouts mentioned that he's in as good shape as they've ever seen him. Although Love doesn't run the floor the way some of the other top athletes do, he hustled up and down the floor and showed good athleticism.

just as important, Love shot the ball very well in the workouts. At times, he looked like a guard out there. Love also did well in the strength training, bench-pressing the 185-pound bar 18 times.

DeAndre Jordan, C, Texas A&M

Jordan also has dropped some weight and looked in much better shape than we've seen him in the past. Although he runs the floor well, he struggled a bit in the skills portion of the workout. No real surprise here. He worked pretty hard … but there's no one with more questions swirling around him. Everyone loves him and hates him at the same time.

Darrell Arthur, PF, Kansas

I thought Arthur looked as skilled and athletic as any big man here. He exploded in some of the footwork drills, showed an excellent 15- to 18-foot jump shot and really flew up and down the floor. Arthur's ability to score, both inside and out, makes him a really intriguing choice. I think he could rise as we get closer to the draft.

JaVale McGee, C, Nevada

McGee came in a little bulked up. He clearly has hit the weight room. However, McGee struggled in the workouts. He looked really uncomfortable shooting the ball and looked a bit out of shape. He was breathing awfully heavy just a few minutes into the workout.

Joe Alexander, SF, West Virginia

Alexander showed off his elite athleticism. He drew a few oohs and ahhs from the crowd with his dunks. His jump shot was more of a mixed bag. He gets great elevation, but didn't shoot it as well as his workout partner, Love. Alexander also wowed people with his strength. He bench-pressed the 185-pound bar 24 times and, according to one source, is going to show a vertical jump of 40-plus inches.

Donte Greene, SF, Syracuse

Greene wasn't great in the workouts, either. He is a good athlete, but his shot wasn't falling as well as some other prospects' and he didn't do anything to stand out the way some of the others did.

The bottom line is that there isn't a lot you can learn from these workouts and they won't have much, if any, impact on their draft stock. It's just an early, brief, sneak peek of what NBA teams will see in the coming months. Players can begin team workouts Wednesday.
The camp itself ended with a bit of a whimper. Even though the players in the camp were playing their hearts out, few NBA executives and coaches were watching.

Although the talent at the camp was pretty good, many of the top prospects really didn't perform well. That's nothing new. It's not easy to stand out among 64 prospects playing a pickup game. I went back and looked at my pre-draft camp wrap columns through the years. The players who performed well in the camp rarely go on to be great NBA players. In fact, it's some of the poor performers who have better careers.

There are exceptions. David Lee was good when he played in the camp. So was Jamal Crawford. But players such as Jordan Farmar and Paul Millsap didn't play well here, and they turned into pretty good NBA players.

So take all this with a grain of salt … but here are the guys the NBA executives and scouts were talking about as the best and worst of the 2008 NBA pre-draft camp.

The Good

Mike Taylor, G, Idaho Stampede

Taylor had two excellent performances here. His quickness and athleticism really stood out, as did his ballhandling and improved shooting ability. Taylor was kicked off the Iowa State team last year and spent this season in the D-League. He has all the physical tools to be a good NBA combo guard and played with enough poise here to generate significant second-round buzz.

Taylor had 17 points in Game 1 and 24 points in Game 2. He struggled in Game 3, but no one was watching to see it happen. His performance in the drills today, right next to Westbrook, showed what a quick, athletic guard he is.

Gary Forbes, F, UMass

Forbes was great at the Portsmouth Invitational and here in Orlando. He scored a camp-high 30 points in the second game and, for a big man, showed a unique ability to put the ball on the floor and get to the line. Forbes also has shown enough shooting ability to play on the perimeter. I think he, too, has solidified himself as a second-round pick.

Ty Lawson, PG, UNC

Lawson looks like the only guy with a real shot at the first round. He had about 10 minutes of aggressive defense against Lester Hudson, then shut it down. Teams were impressed, but how impressed? The word is that Lawson is leaning toward staying in the draft and that a few teams in the 20s are interested. If he makes the first-round cut, his play here was a success.

George Hill, G, IUPUI

Hill was this year's sleeper. He had a great stat line in college and showed himself to be a potential point guard in the pros. He has good size, a good shooting touch and a lot of poise. I don't think he's going to crack the first round, but I do believe he'll be drafted.

DeVon Hardin, F/C, Cal

Hardin's numbers won't wow you. But his size and athleticism are really impressive. In drills, he looks like a lottery pick. He also played hard. Some teams are wondering whether, with the right coaching, he can be an impact player in the league. He has all the physical tools, but does he have the mental ones? If another player from this camp cracks the first round, it likely will be Hardin.

Other top performers at the camp: Brian Roberts, Dayton; Malik Hairston, Oregon; Sean Singletary, Virginia; Pat Calathes, Saint Joseph's; Richard Hendrix, Alabama; Josh Duncan, Xavier; Robert Vaden, UAB; Luc Richard Mbah a Moute, UCLA

The Bad

Davon Jefferson, F, USC

No one hurt his stock more than Jefferson did. He didn't really stand out offensively, looked out of shape, and waffled between passive and out of control. That's bad news for Jefferson, who already has hired an agent. I think he went from having a shot at the first round to being potentially undrafted. His strong last-day performance didn't get seen by much of anyone, unfortunately.

John Riek, C, IMG Academy

Riek showed up to the camp but was clearly hurting. He dragged his leg through workouts and didn't end up playing in any games. He's still recovering from a broken leg and really had no business playing here. As the camp moved on and Riek hung out in the shadows, he became somewhat of a sympathetic figure. He really needs to drop out of the draft, get healthy, find a good coach and start figuring out how to be a basketball player. He has a lot of physical gifts, but he's light-years from being an NBA contributor.

Jeremy Pargo, PG, Gonzaga

Lots of scouts, me included, are intrigued by Pargo's excellent athleticism and explosiveness. But the question has always been … is he a point guard, and can he shoot the basketball? The answers after this camp aren't encouraging. He led the camp in turnovers with 14 in three games. As for that shooting? He was 2-for-7 from 3. Pargo did have a good offensive performance in the last game, but it was marred by six turnovers.

From here, players will head to team workouts, which start Wednesday. We'll update our mock draft again Monday.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.

BroncoAV06
06-10-2008, 01:38 PM
WASHINGTON -- Gilbert Arenas lived up to his word and opted out of the final year of his contract, the Washington Wizards said Monday.

The move had been long expected. Arenas has repeatedly said he would forgo the final year of his six-year, $65 million deal so that he could re-sign with the team for an even larger amount.

Arenas can begin negotiating with any team on July 1. While he has expressed a desire to remain with the Wizards, he has also said he won't return unless the team also re-signs Antawn Jamison, who is also set to become a free agent.

Wizards president Ernie Grunfeld has said he wants to re-sign both Arenas and Jamison.

Arenas, a three-time All-Star, missed most of last season after two operations on his left knee. He has averaged 22.8 points, 5.5 assists and 4.2 rebounds in his seven-season NBA career.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

Money, money, money, MONEY!

Scarface
06-11-2008, 10:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008freeagents

Stephen A. Smith said the Spurs may only bring back Manu, Tony, Timmy and Bruce and that had me wondering who was out there.

Screamin' A has about as much credibility as Peter Vescey.

The Spurs will put Manhimi on the roster. I wouldn't be suprised if they go after a guy like Mickael Pietrus to replace Finley. They'll re-sign Thomas. Barry will be back. Oberto will be back. Whoever they end up drafting will be on the squad this season.

honz
06-11-2008, 10:31 PM
Pietrus would be a great addition for the Spurs. He is athletic, a decent shooter, and he can play some D.

BroncoAV06
06-30-2008, 01:16 PM
Ranking the up coming FA:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=FreeAgents-080629

Few UFA that are big, but all the attention will be on the RFA.

Players listed by team:
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=2008FreeAgents

BroncoAV06
06-30-2008, 09:06 PM
Davis opts out and Jamison signs for 4 more years.

Jwalk - JayCutty6Goes - CasinoRoyal
06-30-2008, 11:15 PM
If your not a Memphis, Sixers or Clippers fan then you have no shot at an of the top Free Agents.

06-30-2008, 11:16 PM
Is anybody a ESPN Insider?? Would appreciate it if you all could post the news about whats going on.

BroncoAV06
06-30-2008, 11:26 PM
Brand opts out, says that LA is still in the mix.

BOSSHOGG30
07-01-2008, 08:46 AM
I bet the 76ers get Josh Smith or Elton Brand

I know they really like Josh Smith... I know I will be excited with either addition.

BOSSHOGG30
07-01-2008, 08:48 AM
Is anybody a ESPN Insider?? Would appreciate it if you all could post the news about whats going on.

Bold Move Surprises Nelson
Baron Davis | Warriors
What promised to be a tumultuous offseason for the Warriors was kicked into overdrive Monday when point guard Baron Davis left $17.8 million on the table and opted out of the final year of his contract, becoming an unrestricted free agent and throwing Golden State's immediate plans into confusion.
"I'm surprised, because 17 million is a lot of money for a year of basketball, but that's his prerogative,' Warriors coach Don Nelson said. 'He talked to me a couple days ago and said he was coming back. ... Opting out of a $17 million contract, that's (bold).'" -- Contra Costa Times
Arenas Offered Two Max Deals
Gilbert Arenas | Wizards
Both the Washington Wizards and Golden State Warriors have offered Gilbert Arenas max deals, according to a source close to the three-time All-Star point guard.
The Wizards early Tuesday morning offered Arenas a six-year $127 million deal, according to the source, and the Warriors offered Arenas five years for $101 million. The Wizards, because Arenas was under contract with them, are permitted to offer six years while other teams can offer only five. -- The Washington Times

According to a source close to Arenas, the three-time all star is mulling the offers but is leaning towards staying with the Wizards and is willing to take less than the maximum if it will help Ernie Grunfeld make other moves he needs to make this summer.
Also, I heard from a very reliable source that the Sacramento Kings contacted Arenas and said they are willing to do "whatever it takes" to land his services even if they have to "trade their entire team." -- The Washington Post

Because of his $35 million deal with Adidas, Gilbert Arenas has flexibility and -- according to a close friend of the guard -- could consider signing for another team for less if it meant having a greater chance at contending for a title more quickly.
But the source added Arenas has not scheduled any visits with other teams and will not consider fielding outside inquiries until any possible scenario that includes a return to the District is ruled out. -- The Washington Times
Lower Salary Will Help Wizards
Antawn Jamison | Wizards
According to a source familiar with the specifics of Antawn Jamison's contract, his first year salary cap number will be less than $10 million, which is significant because that should give Ernie Grunfeld room to sign Gilbert Arenas and still have enough money below the NBA's luxury tax threshold to possibly sign another player.
The team's only other free agent is shooting guard Roger Mason Jr., who is likely to draw offers from other teams after a career season with the Wizards. -- The Washington Post
Knicks To Offer Two-Year Deal
Chris Duhon | Bulls
Looking to add a point guard on the cheap, the Knicks went into the start of free agency at 12:01 a.m. Monday targeting Chris Duhon, who has been a backup with the Bulls during his first four NBA seasons.
The Knicks are expected to offer Duhon a two-year deal worth roughly half of the mid-level exception, totaling around $6 million, according to NBA sources. -- New York Daily News

New coach Mike D'Antoni is high on adding Duhon to his system. In fact, when D'Antoni was the Suns' coach, he tried a few times to acquire Duhon as a backup to Steve Nash.
"We're getting our notes ready," said Duhon's agent, Kevin Bradbury. "It seems like it'll be a good fit." -- Newsday
Contract Talk Begins Today
Josh Smith | Hawks
The Hawks will get first crack at Josh Smith, who is expected to meet today with his representatives and Hawks management, the first day they are allowed to do so by league rules. Such a meeting with Josh Childress also could occur.
"We want to sit down and talk to [the Hawks] first and gauge their interest and see exactly where we are," said Wallace Prather, one of Smith's agents. "I think everybody realizes that Josh loves it here and loves his teammates and loves playing in his hometown. If everything goes well, hopefully, we won't have to talk long. But if they send us off to find another offer, then we'll have to do that as well."

Smith is expected to be in Philadelphia for a visit later this week. The 76ers, with more than $11 million in projected salary cap space, can offer Smith a lucrative, front-loaded deal greater than the $45 million offer the Hawks made -- and Smith turned down -- last summer. -- Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Three Or Five Years?
Chris Paul | Hornets
Lance Young said Chris Paul has gone back and forth in recent weeks, trying to decide whether to accept the five-year or three-year deal. It's all but certain, though, Paul will re-sign with the Hornets.
"We have obviously gone over this a lot," Young said. "He's kind of gone back and forth if he wants to do the longer deal or the shorter deal.

"Obviously, locking into that security, making $18 million to $20 million on that last year is pretty hard to turn down. Also, he doesn't want to lock himself in where he has got the next six years where he's with New Orleans without knowing what exactly is going to happen."

"One of our top priorities all summer remains getting Chris signed long term," Hornets owner George Shinn said Monday. "He's not only the best point guard in the league and an asset to our team, but also to our New Orleans community and the entire state of Louisiana." -- The Times-Picayune
Kings To Offer Full Midlevel Exception
Beno Udrih | Kings
Numerous sources close to the team said the Kings were prepared to offer Beno Udrih their full midlevel exception (approximately $6 million) in a five-year deal. Former Kings point guard Anthony Johnson and forward Lorenzen Wright also became free agents; the team is not expected to pursue either.
"Every team, maybe with a few possible exceptions, has an equal playing field now," Cornstein said by phone Monday afternoon. "With (Udrih) being unrestricted instead of restricted, you would think this would be a fairly quick process, but I've learned not to make assumptions."

Asked about the perceived interest level, Cornstein said: "I could speculate and say that there appears to be more of a demand for point guards than there is a supply." -- Sacramento Bee
Agent Wants The Max
Andrew Bynum | Lakers
Andrew Bynum can get a contract extension this summer from the Lakers. When his agent was told that Bynum suggested he would be willing to take less than the maximum of five years, $80 million, David Lee said they would be seeking the maximum.
"He was talking as a 20-year-old," Lee said in a telephone interview Monday. "He had not consulted with his representatives. I think the Lakers know how we feel about this."

"The ball is in their court," Lee said. "They've got a decision to make. The question is whether they believe in him the way I believe in him. It's their decision to make if they want him there for the future." -- Riverside Press-Enterprise

BOSSHOGG30
Primary Focus
James Posey | Celtics
For the NBA champion Celtics, free agency begins today with James Posey as the primary focus. Most other personnel matters will be handled after Posey's situation is settled.
"Posey will be a guy we'll be talking to right away," Ainge said yesterday. "He's a top priority for us. Once we start there, we'll move toward other free agents and go from there." -- The Boston Globe

Posey's hometown Cleveland Cavaliers are said to be putting together an offer, in addition to the Detroit Pistons, New Orleans Hornets, Los Angeles Lakers and Houston Rockets. New Jersey, which came close to signing Posey last summer before he was talked into going with the Celtics, also may revisit the situation, though like most teams the Nets are carving out cap space for 2010. -- Boston Herald
Rockets Pursue Barry
Brent Barry | Spurs
The Rockets began the free-agent recruiting period with an 11 p.m. call to Spurs guard Brent Barry on Monday, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said.
The Rockets telephoned Barry as soon as NBA rules allowed in an effort to land the free agent, who got away last season when he was released by the Seattle SuperSonics but chose to return to the San Antonio Spurs. -- Houston Chronicle
Deal Wanted Before Olympics
Andrew Bogut | Bucks
Andrew Bogut and his agent, David Bauman, hope to make a deal with the team during the negotiating period, which began at 11:01 p.m. Monday.
"If the deal is not done by mid-July, we'll table it," Bauman said. "He wants to join the national team. If we don't get it done fast enough, it's more important for him to play for the Boomer team.

"We're confident something can get done, and we think a deal is there to be made." -- Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
Priority No. 1
Jose Calderon | Raptors
"You take care of priority No.1 and then you let the rest of the pieces fall into place," Bryan Colangelo said yesterday.
The Raptors aren't expected to be major players in the free-agent sweepstakes, other than by taking care of their own. Jose Calderon is by far the No.1 item on Colangelo's to-do list, especially after the trade of T.J. Ford to the Indiana Pacers last week. -- Toronto Star
More Tests Needed
Carl Landry | Rockets
The Rockets have asked for Carl Landry to undergo more in-depth testing of his right knee, which was injured during the season, before they extend an offer.
"We're only making an offer if he (Landry) gets a more detailed examination than imaging," Daryl Morey said.

Morey did not say there were specific concerns, only that the team wanted as much information as possible before making an offer. -- Houston Chronicle
Bargain Hunters This Summer
The Orlando Magic were the big spenders in free-agency last summer, signing forward Rashard Lewis. It's no coincidence then that they're expected to be bargain-hunters this summer.
Corey Maggette, Kurt Thomas and James Posey are out of their price range.

The Magic likely will be looking at a list that includes point guards Jason Williams and Chris Duhon, guard/forward Mikael Pietrus, guard/forward Jarvis Hayes and forward Malik Allen, in addition to some of their own free agents. -- Orlando Sentinel
Smith Won't Trade Turkoglu For Maggette
Corey Maggette | Clippers
The Magic think highly of Clippers guard Corey Maggette, but it will almost certainly take a sign-and-trade deal to lure him back to Orlando. Maggette started his career in Orlando and still owns a home in Central Florida (where his parents live). But getting him would likely cost the Magic Most Improved Player Hedo Turkoglu in a trade, and that's a deal GM Otis Smith isn't eager to make.
Said Smith: "It's going to be awful hard for me to change our core group of guys at this point in time. Our strengths are our forwards and our center position and we're not going to mess with that." -- Florida Today
Lee Could Be Traded
David Lee | Knicks
"I love David Lee," Mike D'Antoni said. "I read someplace, he doesn't fit my style. Let's see, he averaged 10 rebounds, 10 points. He fits anybody's style. To be creative, he's the best we have to be creative. [But] the franchise will do their job of exploring every option. At the end of the day, I'd be very happy to coach David Lee.
"But again it's the business, it's the future and we're doing what you can within certain parameters. It's overblown because everyone that calls asks about him because he's the main guy. And it should be a compliment to him. It hasn't happened. I don't expect it to happen. If it did, it would have to be somebody good." -- New Yor Post
Pargo Opts Out, Ely Opts In
Agent Mark Bartelstein said Hornets guard Jannero Pargo opted out of his contract by Monday's deadline and is an unrestricted free agent.
Backup center Melvin Ely will not pursue free agency, deciding against opting out of the final year of his deal. But it's unlikely the Hornets will re-sign Bonzi Wells, who was obtained in a trade with the Houston Rockets last February. Backup center Chris Andersen could return, but he likely will get interest from other teams. Ryan Bowen is not expected to be a sought-after free agent. -- The Times-Picayune
Spurs Want To Re-Sign Thomas
Kurt Thomas | Spurs
Kurt Thomas, a gritty forward who joined the team in a February trade, was a key postseason contributor for the Spurs. They might not have been able to handle the Shaquille O'Neal-infused Phoenix Suns without him.
Re-signing Thomas became an even greater offseason priority for the Spurs when Tiago Splitter, last year%u2019s first-round draft choice, re-upped with his Spanish League club in early June.

"Whether Splitter was coming or not, Kurt Thomas was a guy we wanted to re-sign," Gregg Popovich said. -- San Antonio Express-News
Bulls Won't Be Shoppers
The NBA's free-agent negotiating period begins today, but the only free agents the Bulls will chase are their own.
GM John Paxson has made re-signing restricted free agents Luol Deng and Ben Gordon the top priority. He acknowledged Monday that the Bulls will not be heavy free-agent shoppers. The roster is nearly full and the team's payroll will be approaching the luxury-tax threshold if both Deng and Gordon sign new contracts.

"We have 13 roster spots covered right now," Paxson said. "If our roster stays as is, to add someone will probably be a big body of some type if we can. Other than that, if we're going to do something substantial, it's going to have to come through trade. Camp is three months away and I still think we have the ability to do something with our roster." -- Arlington Heights Daily Herald
Looking To Clear Cap Room
The Indiana Pacers don't look like a team primed to be a major player in the free agent negotiating period that begins today.
After deals with Portland and Toronto that will bring seven players to town, the Pacers appear to be looking to clear salary-cap space rather than add to the payroll.

A possible free agent target for the Pacers is Carl Landry.

"We believe a number of teams have interest," Landry's agent, Buddy Baker, said Monday. -- The Indianapolis Star
Grizzlies Don't Qualify Brown
Memphis tendered a qualifying offer to guard Juan Carlos Navarro so that they can retain his rights should he return to the NBA. Navarro already has informed the Griz that he will play in Spain this season.
The team didn't extend a qualifying offer to forward Andre Brown. That decision would have put more than $1 million on the table for Brown, so the Griz will possibly explore a deal with Brown later this summer.

Also, the Griz will not attempt to re-sign Casey Jacobsen and Kwame Brown. -- Memphis Commercial-Appeal
George Open To Returning To Mavs
Devean George | Mavericks
Mark Bartelstein, the agent for Devean George, said Monday that his client is open to the possibility of returning to the Mavericks and, in fact, may be leaning that way since the hiring of Rick Carlisle.
"He's been working out with Rick a little and really enjoys that," Bartelstein said. "He likes the direction that the team is going."

Bartelstein reiterated that there was no lingering ill will between George and the Mavericks after he nixed the original trade in February that would have netted Jason Kidd. The Mavericks eventually reworked the deal. -- The Dallas Morning News
Will Wolves Re-Sign Telfair?
Sebastian Telfair | Timberwolves
The Wolves extended qualifying offers to restricted free agents Ryan Gomes, Craig Smith and Chris Richard and declined to do so to Sebastian Telfair and Kirk Snyder. But Telfair's agent said Monday "all indications" suggest the Wolves will try seriously to re-sign his client.
"And Sebastian is interested in listening, but I'm fully confident he will have other offers," agent Andy Miller said. "We're going to take the offer that is best in the short- and long-term interest of Sebastian." -- Minneapolis Star Tribune
A Good Fit?
Matt Barnes | Warriors
Matt Barnes' agent, Aaron Goodwin, said Monday night that he was eager to initiate contact with the Mavericks.
"I think Matt is a good fit for them, but he's a good fit for a lot of teams," Goodwin said. "They are definitely on our list." -- The Dallas Morning News

BOSSHOGG30
Looking To 2010
For their part, the Spurs would like to limit transactions that would cut too heavily into the cap space available for the summer of 2010, which should be a windfall year for high-yield free agents.
That is one reason the Spurs might choose to sign one or both of this year's second-round draft picks, Malik Hairston and James Gist. Their contracts would be manageable, in terms of years and money.

The Spurs also could turn to the 2001 draft for help: They could opt to bring in 6-foot-11 Lithuanian forward Robertas Javtokas, their second-round pick seven years ago, although it would require buying out his contract in Russia. -- San Antonio Express-News
Finding A PG Is No.1 Priority
With draft pick Goran Dragic a long shot to arrive this year, Steve Kerr called a backup point guard his "No. 1 priority" going into July. The Suns not only want to limit Steve Nash to 30-32 minutes a game, they want to rest him for as many as 10 games during the season, such as in back-to-back situations.
That means looking hard at veteran Tyronn Lue, a player with championship experience whom the Suns chased in March before losing out to Dallas. The much-traveled Anthony Johnson is another realistic point possibility -- with fingers crossed that Chris Duhon isn't lured elsewhere with a mid-level deal. -- East Valley Tribune
No Tender
Yakhouba Diawara | Nuggets
Monday's deadline passed with the Nuggets making no announcement on picking up the $972,581 qualifying offer of guard Yakhouba Diawara, which would make him an unrestricted free agent instead of restricted.
"I guess there's no tender," Diawara's agent, Buona Ndiaye said Monday night. -- Rocky Mountain News
Option Picked Up
Steve Novak | Rockets
The Rockets did avoid free agency with Steve Novak, their 2006 second-round pick. They exercised their option to extend Novak's contract for a third season at $797,581. -- Houston ChronicleAllen Now Unrestricted
Tony Allen | Celtics
The franchise failed to make Tony Allen a qualifying offer, thus making the guard an unrestricted free agent, according to his agent, Mike Higgins.
"Obviously they had some tough decisions to make," Higgins said late last night. "With the number they're at [player wise] they couldn't sign everybody. For the past month, he knew they were either going to make him an offer or they weren't. He understood." -- The Boston Globe
More Rest Needed
Zydrunas Ilgauskas | Cavaliers
Cavs center Zydrunas Ilgauskas had an MRI on his back last week. He's supposedly doing OK, but the MRI confirmed more rest was needed. -- The News-Herald

BroncoAV06
07-01-2008, 01:37 PM
Rudy has some hype, Blazers getting another good gaurd.

Tue,
July 1 Charlotte extends qualifying offers to Emeka Okafor and Ryan Hollins and picks up the 2008-09 option on Jermareo Davidson.

Portland signs Rudy Fernandez.

Houston picks up contract option for Steve Novak.

BroncoAV06
07-01-2008, 02:17 PM
Well how would that rotation work out? Smith is a good player, but he is not much different theny Young, better defender, and AI is an atletic slahser. Are they looking to play Young at the 4 and try to find a shooter t obe Suns East?

07-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Differance between Josh and Thad is Josh is actually a PF. Young is a tru SF. Not as strong as Josh is either.

BroncoAV06
07-01-2008, 04:24 PM
He is not a true PF, more like Odom. Still at 22 he will be making noise for a while.

SmilinAssasSin27
07-01-2008, 10:30 PM
Other than LeBron, who is likely to be a FA in 2010? I keep hearing it's gonna be a crazy talented group, but the only name mentioned is LeBron..I'm assuming Melo as well? Maybe Wade?

BOSSHOGG30
07-02-2008, 09:29 AM
With more than $11 million in salary-cap space available, the 76ers contacted restricted free agent Josh Smith shortly after midnight on Tuesday and plan to meet with the Hawks star on Wednesday.

The Sixers also contacted Smith's teammate, 6-8 forward Josh Childress, yesterday and expect to bring him to Philadelphia, but did not say when. The Hawks have rights of first refusal on both players, but it's unknown how much they'll be willing to spend to keep both in Atlanta, especially with Joe Johnson and Mike Bibby already commanding huge salaries.
Source: Philadelphia Inquirer

BOSSHOGG30
07-02-2008, 09:31 AM
Other than LeBron, who is likely to be a FA in 2010? I keep hearing it's gonna be a crazy talented group, but the only name mentioned is LeBron..I'm assuming Melo as well? Maybe Wade?

Joe Johnson
Ray Allen
Ben Wallace
LeBron James (player option, likely)
Dirk Nowitzki (player option, unlikely)
Josh Howard (player option, likely)
Marcus Camby
Rip Hamilton
Stephen Jackson
Tracy McGrady
Shaquille O'Neal
Dwyane Wade (player option for 10/11, unlikely)
Michael Redd (player option for 10/11, likely)
Tyson Chandler (player option for 10/11 - 50/50)
Eddy Curry (player option for 10/11 - 50/50)
Amare Stoudemire (player option for 10/11, unlikely)
Brad Miller
Manu Ginobili
Chris Bosh (player option for 10/11, unlikely)

Scarface
07-02-2008, 09:45 AM

LeBron, Wade, and Bosh are the Big 3 of 2010.

Scarface
07-02-2008, 09:48 AM
Spurs plan to make offer for Maggette

By Jeff McDonald and Mike Monroe
San Antonio Express News

Two seasons after the Spurs unsuccessfully tried to trade for Corey Maggette, they appear to be trying to recruit him.

According to two NBA sources, one in the Western Conference and one in the East, the Spurs are preparing to make an offer to Maggette, who became an unrestricted free agent Tuesday when he opted out of the final year of his contract with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Details of the proposal are not known, but the Spurs are believed to be poised to offer the 28-year-old guard their full mid-level exception worth about $5.8 million for the first year, the sources say.

Spurs general manger R.C. Buford declined to comment on negotiations with any particular free agent.

A 6-foot-6 slasher, Maggette would seem to satisfy the Spurs’ annual search for a young, athletic scorer on the wing. He has averaged 16.1 points during a nine-year NBA career, including 22.1 per game last season.

News of Maggette’s courtship came hours after Brent Barry informed the Spurs he had decided to opt out of his contract, making the veteran guard an unrestricted free agent for the second time in six months.

In an odd bit of coincidence, Barry was part of a failed deal with the Clippers in January of 2007 that would have brought Maggette to San Antonio. In another coincidence, Barry and Maggette share the same agent, Arn Tellem.

It is presumed Barry’s latest list of could-be suitors will look a lot like the one he mulled back in February, after a flurry of transactions saw him traded to Seattle and waived in the span of a few hours.

Barry eventually wound up re-signing with the Spurs then, shunning inquiries from Houston, Phoenix, Dallas and Boston. There is a chance he could end up with the Spurs again — although that could hinge on what happens with Maggette, since the two essentially play the same position.

The Rockets were among the first this week to contact Barry, who turned down $1.262 million of the Spurs’ money to test the free-agent market. Reportedly, the Rockets have offered the 36-year-old guard their $1.9 million bi-annual exception to move east down Interstate 10.

Jacque Vaughn, the only other Spurs player with the right to opt out of his contract this summer, has decided to return to San Antonio for the final year of his deal. Vaughn, a backup point guard who could see some of his minutes challenged by first-round pick George Hill, is scheduled to make $1.262 million next season.

Under NBA rules, teams cannot sign free agents until July 9. Between now and then, the Spurs could have some competition for Maggette’s services.

The Orlando Sentinel, citing an unidentified friend of Maggette’s, reported earlier this week that the guard was encouraging the Magic to join the bidding for him.

Maggette played for the Magic during his rookie season of 1999-2000, and his parents still live in Central Florida. Like the Spurs, Orlando can offer Maggette — who turned down $7 million from the Clippers — its mid-level exception as a starting point.

Barry’s latest turn on the free-agent Tilt-A-Whirl comes after one of the most head-spinning seasons of his professional career.

The first two months of Barry’s fourth season in San Antonio were among the most productive of his Spurs’ tenure. He averaged 7.3 points and shot a team-best 43-percent from beyond the 3-point arc over his first 29 games.

A calf injury in December all but derailed his promising campaign. He was still shelved in February, when the Spurs dealt him and Francisco Elson to Seattle in exchange for Kurt Thomas.

The Sonics quickly cut Barry, kicking off a month-long courtship that eventually ended with Barry right back where he started. Still recovering from the calf injury, Barry played sparingly for the Spurs until the posteason.

He was most active during the club’s Western Conference Finals ouster against the Los Angeles Lakers. He scored a season-high 23 points in the Spurs’ Game 4 loss, which ended in a controversial non-foul call that would have sent Barry to the foul line with a chance to tie the game.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA.070208.Spurs.EN.14978daf.html

BroncoAV06
07-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Have to think tha Brand will be that much harder to get with Barron soon to be in the mix with the Clips.

Interesting to see the Spurs going after Cory, definitly looking to get more athletic.