PDA

View Full Version : winborn signs... someone had to cut the mustard

anton...
09-11-2007, 08:28 PM
By Andrew Mason
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- The ceaseless winds of roster change in the NFL blew Chad Mustard away from the Broncos as quickly as he returned.

Just three days after rejoining the club and suiting up for Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills, the Broncos released the offensive tackle in order to make room for linebacker Jamie Winborn, who joined the team Tuesday.

Terms of Winborn's contract were not disclosed.

The 5-foot-11, 242-pounder was released by the Tampa Bay Buccaneers on Sept. 1 after spending the 2006 season there, during which he logged a career-best 14 special-teams tackles.

A seventh-year veteran, Winborn has 14 career starts to his name, 10 of which came during his 2004 season with the San Francisco 49ers, the club that brought him into the league as a second-round pick in 2001. Winborn remained with the 49ers until they traded him to the Jacksonville Jaguars midway through the 2005 campaign.

The addition of Winborn eases a potential depth issue at linebacker. The Broncos carried just five linebackers on their 53-man roster and practice squad into the regular season, and one of them, Louis Green, sustained a blow to the head during Sunday's win over the Buffalo Bills.

"We just have to work the numbers," assistant head coach Jim Bates said last week after the Broncos released Wesly Mallard when they signed Simeon Rice. "When you have an addition and we lose a linebacker, then we just have to make up for it with somebody else filling in and being on the scout team."

Winborn becomes the second Vanderbilt product to play for the Broncos, joining quarterback Jay Cutler. Another ex-Commodore, cornerback Bill Alford, was with the team during the preseason but was released at the final cutdown on Sept. 1.

The signing of Winborn also increases the Broncos' collection of former Tampa Bay defenders. The other Bucs-turned-Broncos are safety John Lynch, linebackers Ian Gold and Nate Webster and defensive end Simeon Rice. Assistant special teams coach Keith Burns also spent the 2004 season wearing pewter and red before returning to Denver with Gold in 2005 following a one-year joint joint sojourn to the Gulf Coast.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=7181
________
Vapor Buddy Review (http://www.vaporizers.net/)

DenBronx
09-11-2007, 08:37 PM
ughhh...whyyyy? is he really going to make an impact on the team? the dude is short anyway...we have enough short guys. isnt there anyone else better than this guy out there?

anton...
09-11-2007, 08:39 PM
meh...

i dont think he will see much game time anyway...
________
VAPOR INFO (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

Rick
09-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Maybe we get lucky and he can actually make a special teams tackle unlike anyone else not named Bailey.(Think it was Bailey that made that stop on Mcgee)

DenBronx
09-11-2007, 08:42 PM
what ever happened to lavar arrington? he doesnt play ians position but he would be good depth at ss. we just need tackling freaks....get someone that can tackle. career best 14 tackles doesnt sound all that great to me. :tsk:

dogfish
09-11-2007, 09:47 PM
ughhh...whyyyy? is he really going to make an impact on the team? the dude is short anyway...we have enough short guys. isnt there anyone else better than this guy out there?

winborn's not bad. . . he's bounced around the league a bit, but the guy has some skills-- he's fast and fits our profile of linebacker pretty well. . . this move gives us better depth at WILL, which is nice the way gold played this week. . .

EDIT: of course, now we're thin as hell at tackle-- our "depth" there is downright scary, as it consists of one smallish rookie who's not even healthy enough to play right now, and is a long way from being an NFL tackle. . . obviously, the FO must feel comfortable that kuper or myers can slide out if need be. . .

dogfish
09-11-2007, 09:49 PM
what ever happened to lavar arrington? he doesnt play ians position but he would be good depth at ss. we just need tackling freaks....get someone that can tackle. career best 14 tackles doesnt sound all that great to me. :tsk:

he's toast-- dude can't walk from the bench to the gatorade cooler without incurring an injury that keeps him out 6-8 weeks. . . i doubt he'll ever play again. . .

EDIT: 14 is the most games winborn has played in a season, not the most tackles he's ever had. . .

http://www.nfl.com/players/jamiewinborn/profile?id=WIN030581

Requiem / The Dagda
09-11-2007, 09:49 PM
Who the **** is Winborn?

dogfish
09-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Who the **** is Winborn?

he played for the niners, then spent a year or two in tampa. . . he's pretty much a coverage/tampa-2 LB-- i can't remember for sure, but he may even be a converted safety. . . i'm sure he'll back up gold. . .

Skinny
09-11-2007, 10:05 PM
I like the Winborn signing. Gives us some much needed depth at LB and he can play ST.

When he's healthy he's a quality player and makes plays. But he has had alot of bad luck with injuries.

Considering his duties here should be light, he's a nice addition.

There's not too much info on him i can find, maybe someone else can. Here is some:http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2395552

I beleive Lavar is done. He was rehabing from a torn achilles and then he got in that motorcycle accident couple months ago. Shortly before that he was already contemplating* retirement.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/18/AR2007061800838.html

DenBronx
09-11-2007, 10:08 PM
he's toast-- dude can't walk from the bench to the gatorade cooler without incurring an injury that keeps him out 6-8 weeks. . . i doubt he'll ever play again. . .

EDIT: 14 is the most games winborn has played in a season, not the most tackles he's ever had. . .

http://www.nfl.com/players/jamiewinborn/profile?id=WIN030581

did i say 14? i over shot then. i meant 8 last year, 4 the year before and 13 the year before that one.

his last 3 years are horrible....why would we get this guy again? the dudes a midget.

Rick
09-11-2007, 10:11 PM
104 tackles in 2004, thats not bad. He certainly won't start I am sure but really the ST needs something desperately and depth doesn't hurt.

He may not be the answer to our special teams tackling dilemma but at least it is something.

Rick
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
Hmm, I am not sure where they are getting those 104 tackles from in that article.

Looking at his career stats it says 2004 was 63 tackles, 55 solo.

DenBronx
09-11-2007, 10:19 PM
how much salary cap is gold taking up again? anyone want to bet he will be released or asked to restructure after this season?

dogfish
09-11-2007, 10:25 PM
how much salary cap is gold taking up again? anyone want to bet he will be released or asked to restructure after this season?

i'd give it at least even odds if he doesn't step up his play. . .

Rick
09-11-2007, 10:25 PM
I haven't found anything current as of yet. Best I have found is 2005 salary of 6.3 mil.

DenBronx
09-11-2007, 10:29 PM
i'd give it at least even odds if he doesn't step up his play. . .

whats taking him so long? is he not motivated? does he not want a ring in denver? somebody light a match under his ***, please! i know gold has the talent....he just seems like he doesnt concentrate on his tackles nowdays.

DenBronx
09-11-2007, 10:30 PM
I haven't found anything current as of yet. Best I have found is 2005 salary of 6.3 mil.

i think this year is pretty blistering too. thats lance briggs numbers people...sorry i just dont see paying gold that.

shank
09-12-2007, 12:21 AM
whats taking him so long? is he not motivated? does he not want a ring in denver? somebody light a match under his ***, please! i know gold has the talent....he just seems like he doesnt concentrate on his tackles nowdays.

i think someone needs to put the fire out under him, but maintain coals... if you know where i'm going with that...:confused:

gold seems too eager and is always running full speed right past tacklers, adding his momentum to the runners, making his arm tackles double useless. he is always overpursuing and runners cut back against him and leave him in the dust. if he would slow down a bit, and REALLY work on his tackling techninque, he might be alright. if that doesn't happen, something needs to happen on the weakside.

Retired_Member_001
09-12-2007, 03:02 AM
i think someone needs to put the fire out under him, but maintain coals... if you know where i'm going with that...:confused:

gold seems too eager and is always running full speed right past tacklers, adding his momentum to the runners, making his arm tackles double useless. he is always overpursuing and runners cut back against him and leave him in the dust. if he would slow down a bit, and REALLY work on his tackling techninque, he might be alright. if that doesn't happen, something needs to happen on the weakside.

I completely agree!

He should just slow down and keep composed. You'd want your linebackers to go and hit someone but, you DON'T want your linebackers nose diving at the player as soon as they get the ball. If the ball handler is half skillfull then he will get out of the way (as Marshawn Lynch did many times).