PDA

View Full Version : Get to Know: Marquez Branson

Denver Native (Carol)
05-19-2010, 11:52 AM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10128

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- In just two years at the University of Central Arkansas, Marquez Branson finished his collegiate career ranked fifth in school history with 18 receiving touchdowns to go along with his 82 catches for 1,236 yards. That production from the two-time All-Southland Conference player earned him a spot with the Broncos as a college free agent in 2009.

The tight end spent the season on the practice squad, soaking in all he could while serving on the scout team, doing his part to help the defense prepare for each week's opponent.

Now, Branson has high hopes for the 2010 campaign, and so does Head Coach Josh McDaniels.

"You didn't see him last year, but we have very high expectations for him," McDaniels said. "He's a guy that has matured and is doing great in our offseason program right now. He did a great job last year and we were fortunate to get him after the draft last year. There were some teams that were even interested in getting him off our practice squad as the season went on, and we were fortunate to keep him. We're excited about his progress."

We had a chance to sit down with Branson for a quick Q&A session as the team is hard at work during OTAs.

How different are OTAs for you this year compared to last year?
"They're a lot different. I actually get to do some of the stuff that I was learning last year. So it's all coming together pretty well for me."

What was last season like for you?
"A lot of learning on the run. I was doing a lot of scout team stuff, so I learned more technique stuff and things of that nature instead of just what our plays were exactly. I knew our playbook, but instead of me repping what we were doing, I was doing a lot for the defense. I learned a lot of the techniques that I have to use while I'm out there, so all I have to do is put it together now."

As a practice squad player, is it tough working all week long but watching the games at home?
"That's probably the toughest thing. That's what's discouraging the most, because you'd be out there working your butt off, and then come time to play the game, you can't even dress out and put the jersey on. I haven't done that in forever."

Did spending last season on the practice squad help your development?
"It gave me a lot better chance to develop and understand the game, understand the speed of the game and how things work. How everything is correlated out there looking at a defense. It taught me a whole lot. So this year, everything comes a little faster to me."

Coach McDaniels said you always acted as Antonio Gates and the big-time tight ends on the "look team" last season -- do you take pride in being able to represent those high-caliber guys?
"I like the opportunity it gave me. I was working hard and I tried to do the best I could to show them that I could play in this league. At least it would give me an opportunity for this year."

He said you're a great blocker but you could also be spread away from the formation and act as a pass-catcher. What are your strengths as a tight end?
"I improved my blocking a whole lot. That was a lot of dedication just getting in the weight room. Passing and catching the ball is what I've done my whole life, so that comes kind of naturally to me. I'm just trying to work and improve the best I can."

On the other hand, he also mentioned you've been taking some reps at the fullback spot along with Spencer Larsen. Is that something you're getting more comfortable with?
"I got used to that last year on the practice squad because I had to do a lot of that stuff. So that's coming a little easier to me, too, now."

What kind of leader is Daniel Graham?
"DG, he's a really good leader. He's a good professional. He comes to work every day with the attitude that it's work, it's a job, make sure you do things the right way, know what you're supposed to do, be accountable -- all that good stuff."

Is he a hands-on teacher with you? Or is it just 'Follow my example?'
"Some of both. He'll show us some things, but then he's kind of like, 'You're a grown man, so you need to go ahead and pick it up yourself and pay attention.'"

Are you and Richard Quinn close, the two second-year tight ends last season now looking for bigger roles this year?
"Me and Richard are real close. We used to study every night together. We became real close last year, and we've got a real tight-knit group."

What is Tight Ends Coach Bob Ligashesky like?
"He's very meticulous. He wants you to do everything right. That's how it's supposed to be. He's always coaching you up on the little things -- footwork, steps, make sure you get your leverage, width on routes, coming back to the ball, being quarterback friendly -- stuff like that. He's a really good coach and I'm going to enjoy working with him this season."

Going back to your college career -- when did you start to believe you could be a player in the NFL?
"People used to tell me that a lot, but I was a humble flashy guy. In my head, I knew I was good, but I wouldn't really ever tell anybody that. People would always come to me and say, 'You're going to play in the league one day.' I just kind of brushed it off. But when I talked to my first scout from the NFL, that's when I realized it could be a dream that could come true for me."

What would it mean to get on the field in 2010?
"That's going to be the big-picture dream come true."

What are your goals going into this season?
"My goals right now are just to learn the playbook and make sure I know the ins and outs, and just to work as hard as I can to make sure I'm on that field."

With so many players in the locker room, can you feel a camaraderie already building?
"Oh yeah. We have a really good team. We have good vets that look out for the young guys, so it's going to be good. I feel that. I do."

broncofaninfla
05-19-2010, 12:12 PM
I wonder if Mcd has high expectations from Richard Quinn as well?

LTC Pain
05-19-2010, 04:20 PM
So is Branson the #3 TE on the depth chart???

milehigh
05-19-2010, 05:28 PM
So is Branson the #3 TE on the depth chart???

Yes, backup FB to it looks like.

Lonestar
05-19-2010, 06:10 PM
I wonder if Mcd has high expectations from Richard Quinn as well?

I suspect he has high expectations from all of his players this was an INtro piece on a guy that has been over looked since joining the squad as a UDFA