PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Insider: Quinn the best option?

Italianmobstr7
05-19-2010, 08:18 AM
With Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels potentially on the hot seat -- as we discussed earlier this week -- the choice for him at starting QB is an important one, even moreso than for a coach with a little more security.

Two of the Broncos QBs, Tim Tebow and Kyle Orton, have been in the headlines quite a bit recently; the former for his alleged over-drafting and the latter for his possibly being traded. But perhaps one of the other guys on the roster, former Cleveland Browns flameout Brady Quinn, could be the best option as the team's 2009 starter, at least in the opinion of Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post. According to Kiszla, out of all four options (sophomore Tom Brandstater being the other), Quinn "can place the football in a window 15-20 yards downfield" better than the rest.

Coming out of college, Quinn appeared to be poised for stardom. Perhaps being united with a QB guru such as McDaniels will bring that ability back out of him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/features/rumors

Thnikkaman
05-19-2010, 08:32 AM
What? Did someone invent a time machine so we can do 2009 over?

Foochacho
05-19-2010, 08:38 AM
Flameout, lol.

T.K.O.
05-19-2010, 08:38 AM
What? Did someone invent a time machine so we can do 2009 over?

if so could we start at week 7 ?:elefant:

SOCALORADO.
05-19-2010, 08:54 AM
More trash at E!SPN.
They just cant keep up in Bristol, too busy sitting around sucking on Lebron.
MCD isnt getting fired no matter how much you might hate him, and saying Qwinn could be the best option isnt really saying much at this point either.
I really hope no ones actually pays these idiots $$ for this crap.

TXBRONC
05-19-2010, 09:11 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15114285

Kiszla: Orton? Tebow? Broncos shouldn't forget about Quinn
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/19/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Broncos coach Josh McDaniels hoards quarterbacks the way Lady Gaga buys lingerie: in bulk.

But know what happens when too much is never enough?

Denver overpaid for Tim Tebow. The whoop-dee-do created by a first-round draft choice will force the Broncos to play Shiny Tim, perhaps before Tebow is ready to shine on the field.

The Broncos overpaid for Kyle Orton. Even if the assessment that Jay Cutler was the wrong man for the job in Colorado proves to be 100 percent correct, the controversial trade forever cost McDaniels the benefit of the doubt among Broncomaniacs now actively rooting for this young coach to fail.

If you believe bang for the buck goes a long way toward winning a championship during the salary-cap era, then there's one quarterback on the Denver roster with an opportunity to pay the biggest return on investment.

His name is Brady Quinn.

Quinn is the quarterback Warren Buffett would buy.

The Broncos obtained Quinn at a bargain price any true contrarian should love. With only 14 NFL starts, he never got a good look in Cleveland, where there's documented proof of making dumb football mistakes by the lake.

Let the quarterback circus begin. While the big stink under the big top will pit Orton against Tebow in a debate almost guaranteed to grow testy from your favorite neighborhood tavern to the locker room at Dove Valley, here's thinking the man who just might give the Broncos their best chance to win in 2010 is Quinn.

"Everyone wants to play. Everyone wants the guy in front of them's job. That's just the NFL," Quinn says. "If you don't have that attitude, you shouldn't be playing."

We all fall in lust with arm strength. But watch the Denver quarterbacks take turns throwing, and I defy you to tell me Orton, Tebow or Tom Brandstater can place the football in a window 15-20 yards downfield better than Quinn. The seams in the secondary are where the defense gets torn apart by Peyton Manning and effective NFL offenses.

In a football-mad town where even well-reasoned pleas for sanity can't change the fact the Broncos' quarterback will be scrutinized for his choice in Halloween candy and must endure comparisons to John Elway, could a quarterback who grew up in the crazy glare of Notre Dame's golden dome be any more thoroughly prepared for the hassles of the job in Denver?

Tebow might have the coach in Denver and the Bible Belt on his side, but if we can hit the mute button on the hysteria for a moment of quiet reflection, as a pro prospect, he has undeniable issues to tackle.

To be blunt: Tebow arrives in the NFL as a running quarterback from a top-ranked college team that favored the spread offense. He is no more highly touted than recent quarterback prospects Alex Smith and Vince Young were as rookies. So is it a sin to take a wait-and-see approach on Tebow? In time, the former Florida star could be great. But it would be foolish to expect anything less than serious growing pains.

After throwing for 3,802 yards and 21 touchdowns during his first season in Denver, Orton was the 14th-ranked quarterback in the league. Not bad, considering he graded higher in the final QB ratings than Carson Palmer of Cincinnati or some guy named Cutler from the Bears.

Nevertheless, Orton seems condemned to being regarded as a boring game manager, so solidly average any team will always believe it can do better at league's marquee position.

While all the quarterbacks on the Denver roster will smile and spew politically correct banalities about the nature of competition, the truth is Orton has been around too long, wants to get paid too badly and probably has only one more chance to prove himself as a legitimate starter in this league to ever view Tebow as anything except a threat. Help him develop? Yeah, right.

Quinn can more honestly regard Tebow as a peer, another young gun just shooting for the moon in the NFL. Give a rookie a hard time?

"I'm not some vindictive jerk like that," Quinn says. "I try to bring guys along."

During the final year of his contract with the Broncos, Orton is a case of short-timer's disease waiting to happen. It would be crazy to risk the long-term investment in Tebow and let a prized rookie flop before his time.

For the here and now, anybody else think the best way for the Broncos to win is Quinn?

Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

Please just don't kill the messenger. :behindsofa:

LordTrychon
05-19-2010, 09:33 AM
God, I wish we could at least wait until Training camp for this crap to spew.

I'm glad we have multiple options that we hope are viable at the position. It's the sort of dilemma you love to have (if more than one is good).

But I hate the bs that comes with a QB 'controversy'.

TXBRONC
05-19-2010, 10:38 AM
God, I wish we could at least wait until Training camp for this crap to spew.

I'm glad we have multiple options that we hope are viable at the position. It's the sort of dilemma you love to have (if more than one is good).

But I hate the bs that comes with a QB 'controversy'.

No kidding! OTAs don't tell us ish about who might be the best option.

Ravage!!!
05-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Despite some wishing to not believe it... McDaniels is absolutely on the hot seat. He has to show improvement after getting rid of the stars and the best football players on this team.

The writer didn't say Quinn was the best, he said he COULD be. He referenced Kizla, who is a Bronco writer. It amazes me that so many want to flame a guy simply for stating an obvious question.

Believe it or not... not everyone in Bronco nation (and certainly not the country) reads and discusses Bronco football every single day. So the writers at ESPN and the readers from around the country, don't simply find these topics to be "stupidl."

Funny. Its as if this writer somehow insulted the Broncos by making a statement about Quinn... who actually IS on the Bronco roster. Amazing how someone could speculate that a player on our roster might be the best option to start. Just how stupid is this guy?? :coffee:

Tempus Fugit
05-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Despite some wishing to not believe it... McDaniels is absolutely on the hot seat. He has to show improvement after getting rid of the stars and the best football players on this team.

Really? So when did you and Bowlen discuss this? Was it over a working lunch, or something?

SOCALORADO.
05-19-2010, 11:37 AM
Really? So when did you and Bowlen discuss this? Was it over a working lunch, or something?

MCD isnt going anywhere as much as some fans who hate him hope he does get fired, the Tebow pick only cements him in DEN for the next few years.

Some fans just cannot get past the fact that Bowlen was on board with the Tebow pick, and now he has to let MCD develop him.

Northman
05-19-2010, 11:43 AM
the Tebow pick only cements him in DEN for the next few years.

That is just as much speculation as saying he will be fired after this season.

GGMoogly
05-19-2010, 12:03 PM
There are so many threads, so many opinion pieces saying Tebow won't succeed because he doesn't have a cannon arm, but they're missing the point. Tebow's magic doesn't rest in his arm, or his legs for that matter. It's in his heart, his ultra-competitive nature. Sure, Elway had the gun, but he HATED to lose at ANYTHING! Whether it was ping pong or pool, stories abound about his intensity. That's why comparisons to John are valid. Same thing with Dan Reeves. Absolutely HATED to lose. And it's that way with Tebow.

That the NFL and its players are competitive goes without saying, but some players transcend even that level. Tebow is one of those guys. I liked Quinn enough out of college. I wasn't a HUGE fan, but I thought - think - he can play in this league. It's just that Tebow...well...is different.

WARHORSE
05-19-2010, 12:09 PM
Let them compete. And let the best man win.

Who cares who it is?

Let the best man play.

Im good with that.

SOCALORADO.
05-19-2010, 12:10 PM
That is just as much speculation as saying he will be fired after this season.

No it isnt. Trading back up into the 1st to get him was approved by Bowlen as was D.Thomas picked 1st.
Obviously if MCD had to give up a ton more to get Tebow, Bowlen might not have approved it, but moving back up to get those 2 players was the plan from prior to the draft. The deal with BALT was already in place.
Are you saying Bowlen never approved of these deals prior to the draft, and just decided to go to bed early that night and see what happened the next morning?
Tebow was as much a Bowlen pick as it was MCD's, and you can go on pretending that they didnt have long conversations about Tebow and what they needed to do to bring him here and at what cost and how long it would take to develop him, but you are only fooling yourself.
Bowlen knew exactly what he was getting into when this pick was made, and it has a 2-3 year timeline attatched to it.
Unfortunately your stuck with MCD for a while, man.

Lonestar
05-19-2010, 01:22 PM
With Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels potentially on the hot seat -- as we discussed earlier this week -- the choice for him at starting QB is an important one, even moreso than for a coach with a little more security.

Two of the Broncos QBs, Tim Tebow and Kyle Orton, have been in the headlines quite a bit recently; the former for his alleged over-drafting and the latter for his possibly being traded. But perhaps one of the other guys on the roster, former Cleveland Browns flameout Brady Quinn, could be the best option as the team's 2009 starter, at least in the opinion of Mark Kiszla of the Denver Post. According to Kiszla, out of all four options (sophomore Tom Brandstater being the other), Quinn "can place the football in a window 15-20 yards downfield" better than the rest.

Coming out of college, Quinn appeared to be poised for stardom. Perhaps being united with a QB guru such as McDaniels will bring that ability back out of him.

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/features/rumors

Do they just pull this crap out of the sky.

Pat has been solidly behind his HC about the aquiring of Quinn and Tebow and unless there is a complete melt down on the LOS again this year will get plenty of time to make decisions.

Lonestar
05-19-2010, 01:31 PM
MCD isnt going anywhere as much as some fans who hate him hope he does get fired, the Tebow pick only cements him in DEN for the next few years.

Some fans just cannot get past the fact that Bowlen was on board with the Tebow pick, and now he has to let MCD develop him.

Spot on Pat signed off on this or it would not have happened.

IN case some did not notice Tebow is a BOX office success his Jersey sales were off the charts for #25 draft choice. Once he is playing unless he is a complete fubar ( Ryan Leaf) he will be a box office draw no matter where we play and even more jerseys will be sold.

The kid is charisma incarnate, has a gazillion fans from all over the US from his college days.

Josh is golden fro a few years and then IF not earlier the winning will kick in.

FOr those that hate the guy, sorry he is going to be around as long as he wants to be.

MasterShake
05-19-2010, 02:09 PM
This speculation is getting really old. As many others have pointed out, McD and the other coaches on the Broncos have just one goal - put the best team on the field available to win.

They aren't going to put Tebow, Quinn, or Orton out there to flounder and struggle. They are going to put out our best chance to win. I will take the opinion of the professionals over anyone, especially when a good chunk of us here were pining for Simms to get the start last year.

NFL Coaches = Evualuation. NFL Fan Forums = Speculation.

Speculation is fun, but it aint gonna win you any games! :lol:

Personally I'd be thrilled with Orton or Quinn starting, and Tebow getting in on some red zone plays or maybe a Wild Horses thing every now and then. I guess what I'm basically saying is I'm sick of all the guessing. I wish this Sunday was Kickoff weekend. I need my football back! The offseason sucks as it is, but its been really bad here the last few seasons.

That being said, I'm gonna try and make the training camp a few times this year just to see for myself how things are shaking up. Honestly for the first time in a long time I feel a true optimism instead of my normal Bronco fan induced delusions.:D

Northman
05-19-2010, 04:38 PM
Unfortunately your stuck with MCD for a while, man.

Time will tell, right now Bowlen has been just as inconsistent with what he says publically as opposed to what actually happens. Bowlen states he wants to be back in the playoffs and winning SB's. That doesnt come across to me as "hey, lets take another 10 years to get there". :lol:

Fact is, there is nothing to guarantee his job is safe especially after proclaiming that Shanny had the job for life. If McD fails to have a winning season this year he will definitely be on the hot seat because he is not fullfilling his obligation to his hiring. As too me being unfortuante, its only unfortuante if he doesnt win. If he does start winning that i win as a Bronco fan. If he doesnt, we move on to the next guy until we find someone who can.

Northman
05-19-2010, 04:40 PM
Spot on Pat signed off on this or it would not have happened.

IN case some did not notice Tebow is a BOX office success his Jersey sales were off the charts for #25 draft choice. Once he is playing unless he is a complete fubar ( Ryan Leaf) he will be a box office draw no matter where we play and even more jerseys will be sold.

The kid is charisma incarnate, has a gazillion fans from all over the US from his college days.

Josh is golden fro a few years and then IF not earlier the winning will kick in.

FOr those that hate the guy, sorry he is going to be around as long as he wants to be.

:lol:

Uh, Cutler and Marshall sold some pretty good merch also. Sorry, Bowlen may like money but he LOVES winning even more otherwise Shanny would still be here. Your delusional if you think that McD has leeway to have 2-3 losing seasons here while Tebow grows his pubes.

TXBRONC
05-20-2010, 12:17 AM
Unless you're in private meeting with Bowlen you don't know how long he'll give McDaniels to prove himself. That being said if anyone thinks Bowlen will put up with losing for two or three years I doubt it.