PDA

View Full Version : Cutler-Clady era set to commence

claymore
05-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Cutler-Clady era set to commence
By Mike Klis
The Denver Post
Article Last Updated: 05/18/2008 11:22:26 PM MDT

Jay Cutler (Post file)Jay Cutler will accept his share of shots to the front side, insulin dependent as he's become.

What the Broncos and their quarterback cannot stomach are many shots to his blind side, dependent as he will become, starting today, on rookie offensive tackle Ryan Clady.

As the Broncos open their offseason team workout program today with the first of eight quarterback camp sessions at Dove Valley, Cutler and Clady will be the two players most intently observed.

Cutler, who has started the Broncos' last 21 games dating to the 2006 season, will practice for the first time since he was diagnosed last month with Type 1 diabetes. Clady will be the Broncos' left tackle for the first time since he became the team's No. 12 overall draft selection three weeks ago.

"I've talked to him a few times after the draft and I'm excited," Cutler recently said of the Broncos taking Clady with their first-round pick. "Obviously, he'll come in here and make us a better football team and compete."

With Clady already anointed a starter by Broncos coach Mike Shanahan, offseason competition will come not necessarily from fellow left-side blockers Ryan Harris or Erik Pears, but right defensive ends Jarvis Moss, Tim Crowder, Ebenezer Ekuban and John Engelberger.

Moss is another Bronco who will draw close attention during the offseason. He was the team's No. 1 draft pick in 2007 but suffered serious leg and ankle injuries in early November, ruining his rookie season.

"No one's looking forward to these offseason camps more than I am," Moss said.

His was one of several season-ending injuries the Broncos suffered while posting a 7-9 record in 2007, only the second losing mark in Shanahan's 13 years as Denver's head coach.

"When we get out there (today), it's going to be a different-looking team than what we've put on the field at the end of last year," co-assistant general manager Jeff Goodman said. "I think coming off a 7-9 season, the one thing you want to do is get back on the field and get that taste out of your mouth."

Besides Clady, the Broncos will work out a new set of starting linebackers with D.J. Williams moving from the middle to the weak side, and free agents Niko Koutouvides and Boss Bailey playing the middle and strong side, respectively.

Also new: veteran safeties Marquand Manuel and Marlon McCree, defensive tackle De-wayne Robertson, and veteran receivers Darrell Jackson, Keary Colbert and Samie Parker, but no top receiver Brandon Marshall will not participate in the offseason workouts as he continues to recover from a serious off-field forearm injury.

Last week, Shanahan called for a staffwide meeting where he outlined a 100-point program for the 2008 season. Among those impressed with the coach's speech was one of his top new deputies, Brian Xanders. In a move that shows Shanahan will not allow himself to become stagnant in his ways, he hired Xanders away from the Atlanta Falcons in part to bring fresh ideas to his front office.

"He talked about having passion, No. 1," Xanders said. "And then having a plan, No. 2. And then having perseverance."

A plan is nothing new for Shanahan. His primary attributes as a leader begin with organization and end with preparation. But perseverance, to the extent the Broncos are currently confronting, represents a novel challenge. Not only are the Broncos coming off a losing season, they haven't reached the playoffs since 2005.

The team hasn't missed the postseason three consecutive years since YBE — Years Before Elway (1980-82). The process of avoiding such a dubious three-peat continues today.

Offseason camps
Denver's first of 18 offseason practices will begin at 11 a.m. today at the team's Dove Valley headquarters. Offseason workouts are not open to the public until training camp.

Camp I: 8 sessions. Today through Thursday; May 27-30.

Camp II: 8 sessions, early June.

Camp III: 2 days, early July.

Training camp: Starts the weekend of July 25.

Key matchup: Left tackle Ryan Clady vs. right defensive end Jarvis Moss. The No. 1 draft pick of 2007 (Moss) vs. the No. 1 draft pick of 2008 (Clady).

Key competitions: Two safety spots (Hamza Abdullah, John Lynch, Marlon McCree, Marquand Manuel); kicker (Matt Prater vs. Garrett Hartley); punter (Danny Baugher, Brett Kern, Sam Paulescu); No. 2 receiver (Darrell Jackson, Keary Colbert); right tackle (Ryan Harris, Erik Pears, Chris Kuper).

Key issue: Quarterback Jay Cutler will be more closely observed than usual now that the world knows he has Type 1 diabetes.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9305169

DP article. Finally some Broncos Football news..........

Ziggy
05-19-2008, 09:24 AM
The only down side that I see to this is that Clady won't be seriously tested until we see Dallas in training camp. Moss is unproven, and Ekuban and Crowder are not pass rushers. Doom will be on the other side of the line.

It's great to see the Broncos moving towards the 2008 season though. I'm excited about all of the young talent we've brought in, and changes that we've made at LB. I think that there are a few more key competitions to keep an eye on also. Namely MLB with Kootie and Larsen, FB with Sapp and Hillis, and the tailback positions.

Traveler
05-19-2008, 09:26 AM
I'm actually more interested in Alridge & Royal on ST.

Retired_Member_001
05-19-2008, 09:53 AM
Moss is unproven

Moss IS unproven to a degree.

We do have an idea what to expect from him though. Before his injury he was showing some real promise. He was definitely a bright spot when he was on the field. He would pressure the Quarterback nearly EVERY play. His determination to get to the Quarterback was amazing.

I don't think that Moss is an unsafe bet to rely on.

Ziggy
05-19-2008, 10:02 AM
Moss IS unproven to a degree.

We do have an idea what to expect from him though. Before his injury he was showing some real promise. He was definitely a bright spot when he was on the field. He would pressure the Quarterback nearly EVERY play. His determination to get to the Quarterback was amazing.

I don't think that Moss is an unsafe bet to rely on.

I hope you're right Wook, but to me Moss is just another player with that deaded P word (potential), that hasn't proven himself yet. Here's to him becoming the perfect bookend for Doomie.:beer:

Retired_Member_001
05-19-2008, 10:07 AM
I hope you're right Wook, but to me Moss is just another player with that deaded P word (potential), that hasn't proven himself yet. Here's to him becoming the perfect bookend for Doomie.:beer:

I just think that if Jarvis got a full 16 game season under his belt, people would be raving about how amazing he is and how he is going to dominate OT's for the next 10 years.

I wasn't sold on the Jarvis pick last year. I called him the next Jason Taylor but I wasn't convinced we needed him. I wanted us to trade up for Amobi Okoye. Two things changed my mind on the Jarvis pick though and furthered my believe he could have a Jason Taylor type career.

1) His performance in the little of the season he got (already talked about).

2). The fact that he's no up to 275lbs from 252lbs. The extra weight is really going to help him against the running game.

I think Jarvis could be a big thing for us.

Italianmobstr7
05-19-2008, 11:04 AM
I feel a lot better going into this year than I did at the end of last. I was definitely feeling like maybe Denver is in shape for some bad years, but now I think that Denver is going to contend for a playoff spot. We're going to surprise some people. The pick up of Darrell Jackson is being overlooked by many. The 3 questions I have going into the season are about the D-line, the MLB position, and the O-line. I think that all will be fine, but those are my 3 main concerns. Now that Jay has his diabetes under control, our offense should be even more electric, and with our D going back to our old "system" I think that we'll be good on D again.

TXBRONC
05-19-2008, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the articles Clay. I'm looking forward to seeing Clady on the field, and I'm interested to see how quickly he adjusts to playing against elite defensive ends.