PDA

View Full Version : Tebow Talk–Part 2

Denver Native (Carol)
05-18-2010, 11:15 AM
http://blog.denverbroncos.com/mrice/tebow-talk-part-2/

The Broncos’ passing camp is underway. Clearly, there is much attention on the Broncos’ four quarterbacks: Kyle Orton, Brady Quinn, Tom Brandstater and Tim Tebow.

Shortly after the NFL draft, 850 KOA had the chance to talk with Tebow (TT) one two occasions. Here is part two of our interview.

850 KOA: You’ve obviously been blessed with great skills. But it’s apparent you have a broader perspective on things. Where does that come from?

TT: It’s having that relationship with Jesus Christ and knowing that football is just a game. It’s passionate, I love it. I care about it, I want to be the best I can be at football. But at the end of the day, it’s just a game. There are things that are more important. Football gives me a platform. It gives me an opportunity to walk into a hospital and make a kid smile. It gives me the opportunity to talk at a youth ranch and inspire young boys. It gives me an opportunity to talk to a team and tell them you can go reach your dreams if you believe in yourself and outwork your opponent. That’s what I believe football gives me. It gives me the opportunity to share my faith and that’s what I love about it. I believe it’s an obligation to make a difference in people’s lives because you are blessed with a platform. If you go out there and win games and try to win championships, at the end of the day, what does your life really mean? You won some games. But those trophies, they’re going to rust and they’re not going to mean much one day. If you make a difference in people’s lives, that’s going to make an impact and that’s going to last forever.

850 KOA: You find out you’re one of the first picks, you come to Denver, you meet the press, you talk to the coach and you fly home. How is your life right now and what exactly does it entail?

TT: My life is wonderful. I am truly blessed. I had a great time flying to Denver and getting to know everybody. Right now, it’s pretty much just learning the offense. As we speak I have film in front of me and I’m just trying to understand this Bronco offense.

850 KOA: Despite the fact you are in Florida, you’re still trying to learn everything and getting ready to be a Denver Bronco?

TT: I’m trying to learn, I’m trying to get better every day. For me, the great thing about it is it’s not work. It’s something I love to do and so even if I didn’t get paid for it and it was something I could go do for fun I would do it. I do it with all my heart.

850 KOA: After the Broncos drafted you, Coach McDaniels was quick to point out that he stole some of the Florida offense that you ran in college under Coach Urban Meyer. Are there any similarities you can see between the Broncos’ offense and what you ran at Florida?

TT: Yes, there are some similarities with some of our reads, some of our progressions, a lot of our empty package, a lot of our five-wide. The verbage is different. For me, for a lot of the empty (formations), it’s just translating the verbage. I can pick up on it pretty quick because we did a lot of similar things. That package is pretty easy to pick up and learn. A lot of the other stuff is a little bit different. It’s things that have evolved with Coach McDaniels. But overall it’s a great offense. I’m excited about learning it. I’m excited about being in it and understanding it so it becomes second nature for me.

850 KOA: Now matter how good a player was in college, he must, in a sense, start over when he moves on to the NFL. What will your approach be at mini-camps and training camp?

TT: There are two important ingredients you need to have. Number one, you need to be humble. You have to know that you don’t know it all. You have to understand that there are a lot of people that have been doing this for a while and those people can teach you a lot. And then you have to come in with the drive, with the hunger to work hard and get better and soak up knowledge and talk to the other guys and learn and try to improve every day. For the rookies coming in, our number one goal needs to be to do those things and earn respect from the older guys, not with our words but our actions.

850 KOA: When you were playing in Coach Meyer’s offense at Florida, how much of that offense was called in the huddle as opposed to how much did you have at the line of scrimmage to change a play?

TT: We’d call something in the huddle and we’d go up to the line and have a lot of things, run-run checks, run-pass checks, pass-pass checks. We’d go up there (to the line) with three or four different calls where if they give us this look, we’re going to check to this. If they give us this look, we’re going to check to this. Our philosophy at Florida was we want to be in the best possible play in the best possible scenario. We didn’t want to lock ourselves down to just being in one play. Coach (Meyer) gave me the ability to have freedom at the line of scrimmage to be able to audible. Even if we know we want to run the ball, we still have audibles to three or four different runs depending on the (defensive) looks. We always went up there with multiple options but a lot of it was game plan. You’d say, versus this look, we’re going to run “x,” versus this look, we’re going to run “z” and we’d always have those different looks we would be able to change it to. I think that gave us a lot more success at Florida because we had the ability to try to get into a better play.

As always, feel free to post thoughts you might have about Tebow or the Broncos’ quarterback battle. I appreciate your reading.

Sincerely,
Mike

slim
05-18-2010, 11:28 AM
850 KOA: After the Broncos drafted you, Coach McDaniels was quick to point out that he stole some of the Florida offense that you ran in college under Coach Urban Meyer. Are there any similarities you can see between the Broncos’ offense and what you ran at Florida?

I have read quotes from McD (in other articles) that said the O was changing this year. I wonder how much it is actually changing?

Anyone have any details?

Denver Native (Carol)
05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I have read quotes from McD (in other articles) that said the O was changing this year. I wonder how much it is actually changing?

Anyone have any details?

Not sure if this is what you were looking for:

http://www.milehighreport.com/2010/5/1/1454248/potent-quotables-2010-denver

On Denver's offense changing with Tebow's skill set

"I think I've called plays as a coordinator since ‘05 and every year we've been different. That's what the offense is. It's not one thing' it's not (New England) '07, which everybody seems to reference all the time. The offense is ‘Do whatever your players allow you to do because it's versatile enough and your players are intelligent enough and you team is capable of morphing into what it needs to be to be successful.' That is what our offense it. It's not ‘The spread.' It's not ‘This' or ‘That' or ‘The other.' It's not just being in the pocket. We had pocket passers, certainly (in New England), and guys that maybe functioned better from the pocket. (Tebow) will function from the pocket. That's where he will play. Now, if we choose to move him out of the pocket, which we did last year also with Kyle (Orton) on naked bootlegs and those kinds of things, then that's something that we feel like will help our offense. We are going to try to use the talents and abilities of the players we have to make sure that they are always doing something that they can be successful with. If he can do something out of the pocket and he deserves to be on the field - that's the biggest thing - then maybe that would warrant us doing some other things. But he is going to get trained the exact same way the other guys are being trained."

On using some of the University of Florida's playbook in the past

"The stuff that we did take - we didn't take a lot - but we took some things from Florida for sure. In Coach (Urban) Meyer's system and Coach (Dan) Mullen, we took some of the stuff that they did in their empty packages and some of their three- and four-receiver stuff that we kind of liked. That was back, I think, before the '06 season. They had some good concepts. They really made sense and fit in with what we did. We always try to steal good stuff every offseason whether it be from college or the pro level. It just so happened we took some of their stuff and we were running it today. They are just good things that can allow your players to be successful, and more of that stuff is from the spread-out formations or empty backfields."