View Full Version : No. 8 has look of No. 1

TXBRONC
05-18-2010, 07:41 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15106535

No. 8 has look of No. 1
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/18/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

There was one Broncos quarterback clearly acting the part of the alpha dog during the first day of the team's voluntary passing camp.

Sorry, Tim Tebow fans. It wasn't the rookie.

Kyle Orton, a 15-game starter for the Broncos last year who passed for 3,802 yards and 21 touchdowns, went through the nearly two-hour practice Monday morning looking like he has no plans to concede his role — not to Brady Quinn, not to Tom Brandstater and certainly not to Tebow, a first-round pick.

Orton was the first of the four quarterbacks to take repetitions in individual drills and in the 7-on-7 work against Denver's linebackers and defensive backs. He was followed in line by Quinn, then Brandstater and, finally, Tebow.

"Oh, I'm competing for the job, but I certainly feel like it is my job, and my teammates know that," Orton said. "I'm going to keep on trying to show that to them every single day."

Monday marked the first time all four QBs were together for the first time. They met in the quarterback meeting room, and it went about as you would expect. No hugs or hazing, but it was cordial.

There were introductions, then it was time for work. Tebow, as the rookie, offered to fetch his teammates' playbooks and carry their helmets.

"Tim goes about it the right way," Orton said. "He knows the deal."

But more important than the locker-room hierarchy is the performance in practice, even if it is only May, and that is where Orton believes he has an edge. He is still a relatively new Bronco — having arrived here April 2, 2009 — yet he is the most senior member of the group, with 48 starts in the NFL.

"It's night and day from the first time I stepped on the field in OTAs (organized team activities) last year," Orton said. "I'm just going to go out and focus on myself, and focus with the wide receivers on everything we have to get down.

"You're able to take that communication to a whole other

level. I'm able to tell all 11 guys on the field what I want them to do at the line. That's a very calming feeling."

Still, the Broncos' offseason additions of Quinn, via a trade with Cleveland in March, and Tebow, with the No. 25 pick in the draft in April, have kept Orton on edge. Coach Josh McDaniels named Orton the Broncos' starter in June 2009. That hasn't changed, but McDaniels admitted Monday the Broncos' quarterback situation is different from last year — not just because of sheer numbers, but also because of the quality of the depth.

"I think it's a real competitive situation. They're all eager and also unselfish," McDaniels said. "They know that everybody is going to take reps, and that's what we try to do at every position.

"They have a lot to learn still, and I'm not disappointed in any of them today."

The trick is for McDaniels and his staff, which includes offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and new quarterbacks coach Ben McDaniels, to find a way to tutor all four quarterbacks and split the repetitions so each QB can improve, but also so the starter gets the most work with the first-team offense.

"There are not too many things that they're not getting an opportunity to rep out there, so that's the most important thing — that they're getting an opportunity to do that," McDaniels said.

For now that means a fairly even workload, though Tebow must wait his turn. For much of Monday's practice, Tebow stood several yards behind Orton or Quinn and mimicked what the other quarterback was doing, from taking the snap, to a five-step drop then the throwing motion.

"The competition, for me, is learning the playbook and just competing to be the best I can be and not necessarily worrying about anything else," said Tebow, a former Heisman Trophy winner. "I can only worry about what I can control every day."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

HORSEPOWER 56
05-18-2010, 07:54 AM
I have zero problem with Tebow NOT starting this year. If we put him in and he struggles just a little bit, the media will be all over him like a cheap suit. I'd rather the real QB competition be between Orton and Quinn and let it go at that. Orton knows the offense, Quinn has more physical talent. Let the best man win the job.

I'm in no rush to have even more drama in Denver about Tebow's performance on game day. Griese, Plummer, and Cutler think they had it tough in Denver always being compared to "The Man"? Tebow will be compared (and already is) every day not just to Elway, but to Manning, Brees, Brady, etc. Damn, I'd be willing to bet that someone will bash Tebow for not riding the bench as well as one of the aforementioned guys...

Keep Tebow on the bench this year. Let him inherit the team based on merit, not on name and reputation.

Dirk
05-18-2010, 07:55 AM
I'm telling you...if Orton starts the season and plays all year without injury he will have a PB season. (of course that's if the O-Line plays up to snuff).

claymore
05-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Orton is the best QB on our roster. Having said that, the sooner he is replaced the better off we will be. Hopefully the future Broncos QB is on our roster. I love Tebow, but I am only sold on his personality.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-18-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm telling you...if Orton starts the season and plays all year without injury he will have a PB season. (of course that's if the O-Line plays up to snuff).

That's a lot of "ifs", bro.

TXBRONC
05-18-2010, 08:05 AM
I have zero problem with Tebow NOT starting this year. If we put him in and he struggles just a little bit, the media will be all over him like a cheap suit. I'd rather the real QB competition be between Orton and Quinn and let it go at that. Orton knows the offense, Quinn has more physical talent. Let the best man win the job.

I'm in no rush to have even more drama in Denver about Tebow's performance on game day. Griese, Plummer, and Cutler think they had it tough in Denver always being compared to "The Man"? Tebow will be compared (and already is) every day not just to Elway, but to Manning, Brees, Brady, etc. Damn, I'd be willing to bet that someone will bash Tebow for not riding the bench as well as one of the aforementioned guys...

Keep Tebow on the bench this year. Let him inherit the team based on merit, not on name and reputation.

I have no problem with him sitting for an entire season but from some of the comments that McDaniels has made I wouldn't be surprised if Tebow ended the starter at some point during the season.

Btw you do know that Tebow once wore a cheap suit just to see what it felt like? :D

Dirk
05-18-2010, 08:06 AM
That's a lot of "ifs", bro.

I hear ya....i'm just sayin. :D

TXBRONC
05-18-2010, 08:14 AM

I think it's possible Orton will struggle because he doesn't have Marshall to depend on. Thomas may be Marshall replacement but receivers take time to develop so I don't know if we can expect him to take on a fair share of the load right now. I really like Eddie Royal but he's not a number one receiver he's top notch number two but all of our other veteran receivers are a notch below Royal. That's jmo.

SOCALORADO.
05-18-2010, 08:19 AM
Lets slow down on PB seasons. Its the 1st freakin day for cryin out loud!
Orton has shown he can do the same thing he did last season, dink and dunk.
OH! And he already knows the calls at the LOS and the the basic plays they are running.
Whoopie.
This team wont be able to do what it did the 1st 6 games of last season again. Nope. That aint gonna cut it now. Teams have plenty of tape on Orton throwing his check down passes for 6 yards now in this system. Teams now know he cant throw deep accurately to save his life in this system just like the last in CHI, and they know he folds like a wet paper towel with the most minor pressure.
Orton can flip burgers too, with little guidance.

TXBRONC
05-18-2010, 08:34 AM
Orton can flip burgers too, with little guidance.

I heard he needs to work on his footwork. :D

SOCALORADO.
05-18-2010, 08:57 AM
I heard he needs to work on his footwork. :D

But he runs a mean deep fryer.
Kid can fry with the best of em.
Thats good eatin! :D

broncofaninfla
05-18-2010, 09:37 AM
In watching the video yesterday I liked Quinns delivery the best of the 4 QB's but it's May and it doesn't mean sh*t at this point. We'll see who gives us the best chance to win this fall when we find out just how good Mcd's new oline and scheme are.....

May the best man win the job and Denver be a better team as a result.

dunk7
05-18-2010, 09:56 AM

Can we all pitch in and buy this guy a TV so that he can actually watch the games? No offence, but I'm guessing you do your player evaluations based on Josh McDaniel quotes.

LordTrychon
05-18-2010, 10:27 AM
I support the notion that we will be better off the sooner someone is able to steal the reigns from Orton on this premise - That will mean that one of our QBs is really stepping up and performing better than Orton is capable... and he's a very capable starting QB.

weazel
05-18-2010, 10:30 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15106535

No. 8 has look of No. 1
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/18/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

There was one Broncos quarterback clearly acting the part of the alpha dog during the first day of the team's voluntary passing camp.

Sorry, Tim Tebow fans. It wasn't the rookie.

Kyle Orton, a 15-game starter for the Broncos last year who passed for 3,802 yards and 21 touchdowns, went through the nearly two-hour practice Monday morning looking like he has no plans to concede his role — not to Brady Quinn, not to Tom Brandstater and certainly not to Tebow, a first-round pick.

Orton was the first of the four quarterbacks to take repetitions in individual drills and in the 7-on-7 work against Denver's linebackers and defensive backs. He was followed in line by Quinn, then Brandstater and, finally, Tebow.

"Oh, I'm competing for the job, but I certainly feel like it is my job, and my teammates know that," Orton said. "I'm going to keep on trying to show that to them every single day."

Monday marked the first time all four QBs were together for the first time. They met in the quarterback meeting room, and it went about as you would expect. No hugs or hazing, but it was cordial.

There were introductions, then it was time for work. Tebow, as the rookie, offered to fetch his teammates' playbooks and carry their helmets.

"Tim goes about it the right way," Orton said. "He knows the deal."

But more important than the locker-room hierarchy is the performance in practice, even if it is only May, and that is where Orton believes he has an edge. He is still a relatively new Bronco — having arrived here April 2, 2009 — yet he is the most senior member of the group, with 48 starts in the NFL.

"It's night and day from the first time I stepped on the field in OTAs (organized team activities) last year," Orton said. "I'm just going to go out and focus on myself, and focus with the wide receivers on everything we have to get down.

"You're able to take that communication to a whole other

level. I'm able to tell all 11 guys on the field what I want them to do at the line. That's a very calming feeling."

Still, the Broncos' offseason additions of Quinn, via a trade with Cleveland in March, and Tebow, with the No. 25 pick in the draft in April, have kept Orton on edge. Coach Josh McDaniels named Orton the Broncos' starter in June 2009. That hasn't changed, but McDaniels admitted Monday the Broncos' quarterback situation is different from last year — not just because of sheer numbers, but also because of the quality of the depth.

"I think it's a real competitive situation. They're all eager and also unselfish," McDaniels said. "They know that everybody is going to take reps, and that's what we try to do at every position.

"They have a lot to learn still, and I'm not disappointed in any of them today."

The trick is for McDaniels and his staff, which includes offensive coordinator Mike McCoy and new quarterbacks coach Ben McDaniels, to find a way to tutor all four quarterbacks and split the repetitions so each QB can improve, but also so the starter gets the most work with the first-team offense.

"There are not too many things that they're not getting an opportunity to rep out there, so that's the most important thing — that they're getting an opportunity to do that," McDaniels said.

For now that means a fairly even workload, though Tebow must wait his turn. For much of Monday's practice, Tebow stood several yards behind Orton or Quinn and mimicked what the other quarterback was doing, from taking the snap, to a five-step drop then the throwing motion.

"The competition, for me, is learning the playbook and just competing to be the best I can be and not necessarily worrying about anything else," said Tebow, a former Heisman Trophy winner. "I can only worry about what I can control every day."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

so the veteran looked more polished than the rookie?

That is truly shocking!

Northman
05-18-2010, 10:31 AM
Im surprised Tebow hasnt gotten the starting job yet. Maybe he isnt praying enough.

TXBRONC
05-18-2010, 11:43 AM

That's interesting, because I thought Orton likes nothing that will go deep. :D

HORSEPOWER 56
05-18-2010, 09:59 PM

I hear he can "sword skanks" with the best of them, too... :laugh:

Bosco
05-19-2010, 12:37 AM
Can we all pitch in and buy this guy a TV so that he can actually watch the games? No offence, but I'm guessing you do your player evaluations based on Josh McDaniel quotes.

You really think that notion is that far fetched, given Orton's performance last year with a beat up OL, rookie RB and receivers playing out of place?

Dirk
05-19-2010, 05:43 AM

Um no. I don't base my evaluations on McD.

I watched every game last year. Orton did a pretty good job his first year in the system.

I also watched many games that Orton played while in Chi Town. Orton's main issue is he seems to get hurt a lot.

Not to mention we had a very mediocre running game last year. Orton isn't as bad as a lot of people make him out to be. Hell, he played with a broken finger on his throwing hand and the ankle sprain.

BOSSHOGG30
05-19-2010, 07:03 AM
Kyle Orton is our starting QB! WTF

HORSEPOWER 56
05-19-2010, 07:49 AM
Kyle Orton is our starting QB! WTF

Probably not for too much longer... He did okay last year and didn't lose us many games, but he didn't win us many either hence why we traded for Brady Quinn and drafted Tebow.

TXBRONC
05-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Um no. I don't base my evaluations on McD.

I watched every game last year. Orton did a pretty good job his first year in the system.

I also watched many games that Orton played while in Chi Town. Orton's main issue is he seems to get hurt a lot.

Not to mention we had a very mediocre running game last year. Orton isn't as bad as a lot of people make him out to be. Hell, he played with a broken finger on his throwing hand and the ankle sprain.

Orton is imo a journeyman quarterback and what we saw from him last season is about as good as it is going to get. Honestly Dirk without Marshall being here I don't think he'll do as well as did last year. While Thomas was drafted to take Marshall's place I think it's highly likely that it will take him a year or two before he can have major impact on the offense. That's also assuming that he develops into a legitimate number one receiver.

I also think he has bigger issues than getting hurt.

Dirk
05-19-2010, 12:10 PM
I'm not saying he is our QB for the future. I'm just saying I think if he stays healthy, he will be fine this year.

TXBRONC
05-19-2010, 12:27 PM
I'm not saying he is our QB for the future. I'm just saying I think if he stays healthy, he will be fine this year.

I understand. I just think it is possible that Orton wont have as good of year considering the state of our receiving corp. It's not that I think we have terrible receivers but right now we have no proven number one receiver.

Dirk
05-19-2010, 01:22 PM
I understand. I just think it is possible that Orton wont have as good of year considering the state of our receiving corp. It's not that I think we have terrible receivers but right now we have no proven number one receiver.

True, but that goes for whichever QB starts.

Tempus Fugit
05-19-2010, 02:02 PM
You really think that notion is that far fetched, given Orton's performance last year with a beat up OL, rookie RB and receivers playing out of place?

In a conference with Brady, Manning, Rivers, Schaub, et al.....

Yes, the notion that Orton will go to the Pro Bowl is far fetched.

slim
05-19-2010, 03:55 PM
In a conference with Brady, Manning, Rivers, Schaub, et al.....

Yes, the notion that Orton will go to the Pro Bowl is far fetched.

Well, if the PB is held before the SB again, one of those players will not be available.

At least two or three others will probably beg out, so there is hope for Orton.

TXBRONC
05-19-2010, 03:58 PM

So he's going to go from middle of pack to top five quarterback? I don't think so.