PDA

View Full Version : Was an explenation ever given by the Broncos as to why they traded up to the 1st round to get Tebow?

sneakers
05-17-2010, 11:08 PM
It seemed that it was a given that he would be there in the 2nd round, and probably the 3rd.

Have the Broncos explained their reasoning for doing so? Did they think someone else was going to draft him soon.

Tned
05-17-2010, 11:13 PM
I don't think it was a given, which is why they traded up. Clearly, McDaniels wasn't willing to risk Tebow being gone before the Broncos picked in the second round. All it would take was one other team that wanted him like McDaniels wanted him.

Just because most of the analysts believed he would be around in the 2nd or 3rd, doesn't mean he would. If you believe he's your guy, you don't risk it.

gregbroncs
05-17-2010, 11:18 PM
The indication has been that MCD wanted both of the players they ended up drafting in the 1st round and he went out and got them. He really only gave up a 2nd round pick to get Tebow when all was said and done(at least that's the way I understood it, as I did not follow the draft too close).

TXBRONC
05-17-2010, 11:25 PM
It seemed that it was a given that he would be there in the 2nd round, and probably the 3rd.

Have the Broncos explained their reasoning for doing so? Did they think someone else was going to draft him soon.

There was draft day rumor that the Bills were trying to put together a package together so that they could move up to the 25th pick. After the draft the Bills owners denied it but as we know coaches and owners alike are not always forthright.

Also the last analysis I saw on TT was that many pro draftniks had Tebow anywhere from the bottom of the first round and into second round. I even saw one mock draft that had Tebow being taken with the 25th overall pick.

dogfish
05-17-2010, 11:25 PM
mcdaniels did it to test the loyalty of the faithful. . . . :listen:

soon, the time will be at hand!!!!

Italianmobstr7
05-17-2010, 11:26 PM
They had a plan to get Thomas and Tebow and that's who they got. There were rumor about Buffalo trying to trade up to get him even though afterwards Ralph Wilson denied it (sour grapes).

TXBRONC
05-17-2010, 11:29 PM
mcdaniels did it to test the loyalty of the faithful. . . . :listen:

soon, the time will be at hand!!!!

Judgement Day?

Come with me if you want to live.

BroncoBJ
05-17-2010, 11:55 PM
I don't think it was a given, which is why they traded up. Clearly, McDaniels wasn't willing to risk Tebow being gone before the Broncos picked in the second round. All it would take was one other team that wanted him like McDaniels wanted him.

Just because most of the analysts believed he would be around in the 2nd or 3rd, doesn't mean he would. If you believe he's your guy, you don't risk it.

Pretty much agree with all of that. :salute: I remember reading Shanahans book a while back and he talked a lot about how you have to take risks and if you want a player, then you go get him. Don't wait and expect him to be there because then he might not be.

Something along those lines. And I agree with that and thats how McDaniels thinks as well. Those guys are critics for a reason. All they do is pick where they think players should go.

But if you want someone bad enough, then you'll get him.

I like McDaniels mindset. People act like we gave up everything to get him. But I just look at the big picture. We came in to the draft with 7 picks and left with 9. :salute:

underrated29
05-18-2010, 12:00 AM
I think that answer is pretty obvious.

1- They wanted him badly
2- They did not think he would last until their 2nd pick
3- Trades are more fun and exciting
4- Mel kiper sucks balls

Dirk
05-18-2010, 06:14 AM
It all boils down to McD and Xman wanting both Thomas and Tebow. They felt that both players would go late first round early 2nd. They didn't want to chance Tebow going to Buffalo which was the rumor going around.

I think they played it like draft day vets. Trading down getting extra picks and bouncing back in to nab Tebow. It was a thing of beauty actually. Let's just hope that both players become who McD believes they will.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-18-2010, 07:37 AM
It wasn't just Buffalo rumored to be in the Tebow hunt although supposedly Ozzie Newsome (Ravens' GM) had fielded calls from Buffalo about getting #25 from them, Denver had more to offer and we "outbid" Buffalo for #25.

Several teams were in play for him at the end of the first round/early second. I've read in several places the Vikings (Viqueens) were going to take him with their 1st round pick (30) to be the heir apparent to Favre. When we traded back up and took him at 25, that's when they decided to trade back into the second because Tebow was already gone (they ended up drafting Gerhart).

Everyone knows the Patriots were also extremely interested and would've taken him at 46 (2 spots before us at 48). All in all, we did what we had to to get the guy we wanted. At this point, I have no doubt that had Sam Bradford still been there at 25, we still would've taken Tebow. McDaniels sees him as his QB of the future. If McD can even make him an above-average starter, then it was a win for us.

TXBRONC
05-18-2010, 07:56 AM
It wasn't just Buffalo rumored to be in the Tebow hunt although supposedly Ozzie Newsome (Ravens' GM) had fielded calls from Buffalo about getting #25 from them, Denver had more to offer and we "outbid" Buffalo for #25.

Several teams were in play for him at the end of the first round/early second. I've read in several places the Vikings (Viqueens) were going to take him with their 1st round pick (30) to be the heir apparent to Favre. When we traded back up and took him at 25, that's when they decided to trade back into the second because Tebow was already gone (they ended up drafting Gerhart).

Everyone knows the Patriots were also extremely interested and would've taken him at 46 (2 spots before us at 48). All in all, we did what we had to to get the guy we wanted. At this point, I have no doubt that had Sam Bradford still been there at 25, we still would've taken Tebow. McDaniels sees him as his QB of the future. If McD can even make him an above-average starter, then it was a win for us.

I knew that there were rumors of at least a couple of other teams being interested in drafting Tebow I just couldn't remember who they were.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-18-2010, 09:46 AM
Interesting article

http://www.playerpress.com/articles/8200-jim-kelly-and-wife-want-tebow-in-buffalo

Buffalo Bills Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly has not been shy about his views on his former teams quarterback situation and back in November he let his feelings be known.

"I like Trent [Edwards] personally," Kelly said back in November. "He works hard. But he's had three years. It's time to find somebody who is the future of the Buffalo Bills. If I'm the owner, that's what I'm thinking. Whether it's Tim Tebow, whether they'll have a shot at him when draft time comes, you have to look at the top three quarterbacks in the draft, really study them. And you look for a guy with good character, good leadership ability and good arm strength."

So it seems as if Kelly has had Tebow on the mind for the Bills since last November and his wife clarified it the past Sunday when she let the world in on a little secret via her Twitter page when she disclosed that her husband had dinner on Sunday night with former Gator quarterback.

"JK is on his way home from having dinner with Tim Tebow," Jill Kelly writes. "I can't wait to get the full scoop! Can't wait for draft day!"

Later on she also posted that her hubby would not give her any details because she would have put it on Twitter. However She did tweet that hubby told her Tebow is a "class act and a great guy."

What is unknown at this time is if Kelly was doing inside work for the Bills or just having dinner with Tebow was something he wanted to personally do, but it would be hard to believe that Tebow was in Buffalo just to have dinner with Jim Kelly without an invitation from the team.

This is a good sign for Bills fans who are wishing for a high profile player such as Tebow to come in and help improve the organization's on-field performance. However, it is not a good sign if former players of the team have a say in who the said high profile player is.

Lonestar
05-18-2010, 10:11 AM
Pretty much agree with all of that. :salute: I remember reading Shanahans book a while back and he talked a lot about how you have to take risks and if you want a player, then you go get him. Don't wait and expect him to be there because then he might not be.

Something along those lines. And I agree with that and thats how McDaniels thinks as well. Those guys are critics for a reason. All they do is pick where they think players should go.

But if you want someone bad enough, then you'll get him.

I like McDaniels mindset. People act like we gave up everything to get him. But I just look at the big picture. We came in to the draft with 7 picks and left with 9. :salute:

Not only did he add two picks we have POTENTIALLY fixed every Gaping hole we had in draft day.

OC got perhaps the nastiest one in the draft.

OG got a couple.

WR actually got two that could be better overall than the Departed BM as big, faster and mucho better in the attitude and one of them has magic hands. IIRC dropped only 3 passes in college. Not in each game but out of 350+ that were thrown at him while at school.

Spare OT check. Perhaps a starter at ORT to watch over a potenetially FQB.

CB not a huge need perhaps the best one in the draft however he seems to have some Character issues being in a character laden locker room just may turn him around.

The only spot I was disapointed we could not fill was NT.

Time will tell. But it looks very good to me.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

dunk7
Answer is simple...MANCRUSH

Tebow reminds me of this guy I used to work with. Nicest guy in the world, everyone in management loved him. Any time there was a promotion opportunity, he got it. However once he became the top dog, he took over a project that should have taken 3 months and it ran for 2 years. They tried to reassign him (when most people would have been fired) to a no brainer project and he messed that up too so they had to turf him! I'm worried this will be a similar situation with Tebow.

weazel

an explanation to who exactly? who does the team need to answer to?

Northman
05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Basically McD shit himself.

honz
05-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Why would anyone question McD in the first place?

D1g1tal j1m
05-18-2010, 10:52 AM
Answer is simple...MANCRUSH

Tebow reminds me of this guy I used to work with. Nicest guy in the world, everyone in management loved him. Any time there was a promotion opportunity, he got it. However once he became the top dog, he took over a project that should have taken 3 months and it ran for 2 years. They tried to reassign him (when most people would have been fired) to a no brainer project and he messed that up too so they had to turf him! I'm worried this will be a similar situation with Tebow.

Tebow is a nice guy but also has had the on field performance and awards to match. He won a National Championship and Heismans while under the spotlight of the college football world (he was the marquee player of the NCAA). He will take over in year two and we will see if he can lead us to greener pastures....

T.K.O.
05-18-2010, 10:55 AM
because mcD...."is just trying to win a mother f&%$#@#@! GAME !":laugh:

arapaho2
05-18-2010, 12:27 PM

on the other hand...if he's your guy...if he's the future of the franchise...the qb in your eye....you dont draft a injured wr who cant run a proper route first

you take him at 24...then get a wr

broncobryce
05-18-2010, 12:34 PM
on the other hand...if he's your guy...if he's the future of the franchise...the qb in your eye....you dont draft a injured wr who cant run a proper route first

He thought Baltimore was going to try for Demaryius, so he took him first, which then allowed Baltimore to trade us the 25th pick since Demaryius was gone. At least that's what I understood was the reason.

honz
05-18-2010, 12:37 PM

Ever think that Demaryius was his guy too? Probably not.

arapaho2
05-18-2010, 12:37 PM

and again...if tebow is the qb of the future....you pull the trigger on him at 24...period!!!!

you dont risk not getting him....if the pats wanted him why trade up with them given them a lower pick that could justify them snagging him at 24

if he's the future in your eyes you take him as soon as possible...you dont take a injured wr who is not a polished route runner at 22 and hope you can outbid other teams to move back up

evey body can praise mcd all they want..to me..a franchise qb is worth more than any wr...you take him at 24...and get a wr who is just as good as thomas with a 2nd round pick or a combination ....with benn and tate still there..then thats a good draft

picking a injured wr who has route issues at 22...then packaging picks equivelent to the 21st pick to get a guy at 25..isnt good drafting

arapaho2
05-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Ever think that Demaryius was his guy too? Probably not.

who cares if thomas was his guy...whats more important to a team...a franchise qb or a decent wr

arapaho2
05-18-2010, 12:39 PM
He thought Baltimore was going to try for Demaryius, so he took him first, which then allowed Baltimore to trade us the 25th pick since Demaryius was gone. At least that's what I understood was the reason.

balt just got boldin...why would they draft a injured wr in the first?

broncobryce
05-18-2010, 12:43 PM
balt just got boldin...why would they draft a injured wr in the first?

I don't know, I'm not Ozzie. Because they thought he was going to be a superstar? If you followed the draft, the Ravens were looking at him. Just because you don't like Thomas, doesn't mean NFL teams don't.

broncobryce
05-18-2010, 12:45 PM
http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2010/04/MDS_-_Demaryius_Thomas.aspx

Mock Draft Spotlight: WR Demaryius Thomas
The Georgia Tech product could give the Ravens their deep receiving threat. by Ryan Mink
Apr 13, 2010, 9:27AM
Font Size: resize normalresize largeresize larger

PLEASE NOTE: The opinions, analysis and/or speculation expressed on BaltimoreRavens.com represent those of individual authors, and unless quoted or clearly labeled as such, do not represent the opinions or policies of the Baltimore Ravens' organization, front office staff, coaches and executives. Authors' views are formulated independently from any inside knowledge and/or conversations with Ravens officials, including the coaches and scouts, unless otherwise noted.

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay both have Georgia Tech wide receiver Demaryius Thomas going to the Ravens at No. 25. Here's a little more information about Thomas just in case they're right.

Maybe it's mostly because they both played the same position at the same college.

But Georgia Tech wide receiver prospect Demaryius Thomas and the Detroit Lions' Calvin Johnson are getting a decent amount of comparisons these days.

If Thomas ends up being a similar player to Johnson, then some team in the NFL is going to get an absolute steal. Mel Kiper and Todd McShay of ESPN feel that team will be the Ravens.

Baltimore already took a couple steps to bolster its receiving corps this offseason in trading for Anquan Boldin and signing Donte' Stallworth. But Kiper believes the Ravens would like to find a player to develop behind its current weapons.

"He needs a little bit of time," Kiper said.

Thomas put up huge numbers during his senior year of college, catching 46 passes for 1,154 yards and eight touchdowns. That's' the second-most yards in Georgia Tech history behind, you guessed it, Calvin Johnson. Thomas broke the school and ACC record with a 25.1 yard average per catch.

Stats can be somewhat deceiving, however.

Thomas played in Coach Paul Johnson's triple-option, run-based offense. While that meant fewer passing plays, it also caused opposing safeties to move into the box to help support against the run and left Thomas deep in one-on-one coverage against smaller cornerbacks.

His size (6-foot-3), body control, strong hands and speed meant Thomas won that battle more often than not. The question is whether all those tools translate to the NFL level.

The criticism of Thomas is that he doesn't run good routes, which means it's difficult to see how or if he would be able to break free from NFL cornerbacks. Georgia Tech's system drastically limited the types of routes he was asked to run.

"It was basically throw the bubble screen, let him run and use that 6-3, 225-pound frame and all that speed or throw it up deep to him," Kiper said. "That was it; throw it up or short pass."

Still, many wide receivers have a steep learning curve when it comes to adjusting to NFL defenses and the Ravens are fully aware of that fact. Receivers quite simply can take longer to develop.

Thomas could have answered some of his critics' questions had he not broken his foot training for the Combine. He originally stated he would conduct a Pro Day on April 12, but that has been pushed back to April 18, just four days before the draft.

"I'll be the last man standing," Thomas joked in an interview with the Sporting News.

While there are plenty of concerns surrounding Thomas, there's obvious upside. And, as is the case with many late-round prospects, those positives could be enough to warrant a call from the Ravens.

NightTrainLayne
05-18-2010, 12:47 PM
who cares if thomas was his guy...whats more important to a team...a franchise qb or a decent wr

Why choose between those two options when you can have both?

So many of these "what if" scenarios ignore that McD got both guys he wanted in the first round. Sometimes getting one player you want in round 1 is impossible. .. getting two is good work.

honz
05-18-2010, 12:49 PM
I'd say the front office sees Thomas as more than a decent WR, but nice try. McDaniels said before the draft that he wanted both of those guys. He got them and didn't mortgage the future to do so.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-18-2010, 12:55 PM
and again...if tebow is the qb of the future....you pull the trigger on him at 24...period!!!!

you dont risk not getting him....if the pats wanted him why trade up with them given them a lower pick that could justify them snagging him at 24

if he's the future in your eyes you take him as soon as possible...you dont take a injured wr who is not a polished route runner at 22 and hope you can outbid other teams to move back up

evey body can praise mcd all they want..to me..a franchise qb is worth more than any wr...you take him at 24...and get a wr who is just as good as thomas with a 2nd round pick or a combination ....with benn and tate still there..then thats a good draft

picking a injured wr who has route issues at 22...then packaging picks equivelent to the 21st pick to get a guy at 25..isnt good drafting

Coach McD DRAFTED both players he wanted in the first round, and you are STILL criticizing him for how he went about it :confused: :confused: :confused:

broncobryce
05-18-2010, 01:01 PM
Coach McD DRAFTED both players he wanted in the first round, and you are STILL criticizing him for how he went about it :confused: :confused: :confused:

You don't understand, he was supposed to get the players arapaho wanted....

T.K.O.
05-18-2010, 01:05 PM

so basically if mcD had stood pat at #11 and drafted tebow you would be happy ?
i mean if he believes he is a franchise qb why screw around right?
that's your arguement for saying "is'nt good drafting"
so basically you should be thrilled that he not only got the qb he wanted...he got a potential superstar wide reciever for free !!!!:elefant::salute:
think about it :confused:

BroncoBJ
05-18-2010, 01:05 PM
Not only did he add two picks we have POTENTIALLY fixed every Gaping hole we had in draft day.

OC got perhaps the nastiest one in the draft.

OG got a couple.

WR actually got two that could be better overall than the Departed BM as big, faster and mucho better in the attitude and one of them has magic hands. IIRC dropped only 3 passes in college. Not in each game but out of 350+ that were thrown at him while at school.

Spare OT check. Perhaps a starter at ORT to watch over a potenetially FQB.

CB not a huge need perhaps the best one in the draft however he seems to have some Character issues being in a character laden locker room just may turn him around.

The only spot I was disapointed we could not fill was NT.

Time will tell. But it looks very good to me.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Yea, I agree with that. I really liked this draft and the players and positions that we got. The only thing I wish that we addressed was the LB need via draft though. But overall it was a great draft.

And I feel like next year might be more of a defensive heavy draft with an offensive player or 2. I feel like were fixing our offense now and the defense with free agents. So we'll get younger D players in the upcoming years.

I'm excited though. :salute:

Tempus Fugit
05-18-2010, 01:08 PM

Given that your bitch is that he should have drafted Tebow first in order to secure him, and given that McDaniels was able to draft both players despite not following your suggestion, it's abundantly clear that he knew how to maneuver the draft at least as well as you seem to think you do.

slim
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM
so basically you should be thrilled that he not only got the qb he wanted...he got a potential superstar wide reciever for free !!!!:elefant::salute:

arapaho will never be happy with ANYTHING McD does.

That is a scientific fact.

titan
05-18-2010, 01:12 PM
I heard ex-bronco Mark Schlereth of espn say that he knew of at least 5 teams interested in Tebow who were targeting Tim around the end of the 1st round. Schlereth liked the broncos drafting tebow, and thought the broncos trading up to get a shot at tebow was necessary.

I thought the broncos may have given up too much but at the end of the day if tebow turns out to be a player the price wasn't that great. The worst deal McDaniels ever did was trading a future #1 for Alphonso Smith last year - this deal isn't near as bad as that (in terms of draft choice value given up)

TXBRONC
05-18-2010, 01:28 PM
I heard ex-bronco Mark Schlereth of espn say that he knew of at least 5 teams interested in Tebow who were targeting Tim around the end of the 1st round. Schlereth liked the broncos drafting tebow, and thought the broncos trading up to get a shot at tebow was necessary.

I thought the broncos may have given up too much but at the end of the day if tebow turns out to be a player the price wasn't that great. The worst deal McDaniels ever did was trading a future #1 for Alphonso Smith last year - this deal isn't near as bad as that (in terms of draft choice value given up)

I agree critics wont bring up the cost unless Tebow fails and I also agree that the manuevering to bring Tebow here was better played than the one that brought Smith atm. But like Tebow if Smith becomes a productive player no one will bother to bring up the cost.

arapaho2
05-18-2010, 05:49 PM

im critical of wasting picks...and mcd is making a habit of it

is there any solid proof that thomas with his injury and limited route running ability will be better then benn or tate?...no not really...i believe all three would basicaly benefit a team the same

in that if tebow was the guy...if he was the apple in mcds eye..then take him after stockpiling 3 additional picks at 24 and then get your wr..simple

arapaho2
05-18-2010, 05:52 PM

learn to read ...i said once we dropped down to 24...understand?...savey? with a additional 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick to get a wr

arapaho2
05-18-2010, 05:53 PM
arapaho will never be happy with ANYTHING McD does.

That is a scientific fact.

science is evil..tebow is anti evil...therfore tebow hates you:tsk:

arapaho2
05-18-2010, 06:08 PM
Given that your bitch is that he should have drafted Tebow first in order to secure him, and given that McDaniels was able to draft both players despite not following your suggestion, it's abundantly clear that he knew how to maneuver the draft at least as well as you seem to think you do.

we took thomas at 22...we traded up from 24 to do it....he would have been there at 24...

we then traded a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick to go back up for tebow..those picks had the draft value of the 21st overall pick...so basicaly we trade the 21st pick for the 25th even up

after last years tradeing what was the 14th overall for a 2nd round pick straight up

you all may think thats brilliant drafting...i dont

tebow isnt the issue...i have no problem drafting him at 24..if hes the future...but we didnt, we chose to draft a wr and hope...get it HOPE WE COULD FIND A WAY BACK UP...HOPE!!

THAT WE GOT BOTH IS LUCK NOT BRILLIANT DRAFTING... would have we passed on tebow at 24 or 22 for that matter......and took thomas, and then had the pats take tebow at 24..would we be happy that mcd took a chance on losing a potential franchise qb for a wr with injuryies and issues with routes?

T.K.O.
05-18-2010, 06:38 PM
learn to read ...i said once we dropped down to 24...understand?...savey? with a additional 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick to get a wr

why do you insist on making personal attacks on people who disagree with you ?
learn to read ?
if i was unable to read i would'nt be on a message board now would i ?
though at times it would be nice ,like when i waste my time reading your inept
and consistantly whiny posts

honz
05-18-2010, 06:44 PM
we took thomas at 22...we traded up from 24 to do it....he would have been there at 24...

we then traded a 2nd, 3rd and 4th round pick to go back up for tebow..those picks had the draft value of the 21st overall pick...so basicaly we trade the 21st pick for the 25th even up

after last years tradeing what was the 14th overall for a 2nd round pick straight up

tebow isnt the issue...i have no problem drafting him at 24..if hes the future...but we didnt, we chose to draft a wr and hope...get it HOPE WE COULD FIND A WAY BACK UP...HOPE!!

THAT WE GOT BOTH IS LUCK NOT BRILLIANT DRAFTING... would have we passed on tebow at 24 or 22 for that matter......and took thomas, and then had the pats take tebow at 24..would we be happy that mcd took a chance on losing a potential franchise qb for a wr with injuryies and issues with routes?

Thanks for your perspective from the Broncos' war room.

He got the two guys he wanted and came out down a 4th and up a 3rd. Give it up man.

broncobryce
05-18-2010, 06:58 PM

Spin how you want, chief.

Tempus Fugit
05-18-2010, 08:22 PM

Actually, you have no idea whether or not he'd have been there at 24.

Of course, you're ignoring the first obvious hole in your argument, which is that the Broncos were able to amass extra picks in the first place, by dropping down from the 11th pick.

Nothing wrong with that move.

If anyone besides McDaniels had made these moves, you'd be ecstatic. It's all about you bashing the coach.

You don't seem to understand how the draft works. Perhaps that's your problem. You should probably listen to some interviews with guys like Belichick in order to get a grasp on how it's done. For example, phone calls are made in advance of the draft, so teams already know who's likely to be a trade partner.

"HOPE WE COULD FIND A WAY BACK UP...HOPE!!":rofl: That's just pure comedy gold right there.

It was brilliant draft maneuvering. Whether it was brilliant drafting or not will play out of the course of the next several seasons.

To break it down again, and using NFL.com's draft tracker and trade tracker:

11 to 13 Yields pick 113
13 to 24 yields picks 70 and 87
24 to 22 costs pick 113

Net gain to that point: picks 70 and 87

43 to 25 costs picks 70 and 114.

Yield to that point. 2 players drafted in round 1 instead of one in the first and one in the second, with the loss of pick 114, but the gain of pick 87

The team managed to get the two players it wanted and improve its overall draft position in the later rounds (from 114 to 87) in the process. That's great maneuvering.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#dt-by-round-input:1/dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:den
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817b4621&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Lonestar
05-18-2010, 09:18 PM
Actually, you have no idea whether or not he'd have been there at 24.

Of course, you're ignoring the first obvious hole in your argument, which is that the Broncos were able to amass extra picks in the first place, by dropping down from the 11th pick.

Nothing wrong with that move.

If anyone besides McDaniels had made these moves, you'd be ecstatic. It's all about you bashing the coach.

You don't seem to understand how the draft works. Perhaps that's your problem. You should probably listen to some interviews with guys like Belichick in order to get a grasp on how it's done. For example, phone calls are made in advance of the draft, so teams already know who's likely to be a trade partner.

"HOPE WE COULD FIND A WAY BACK UP...HOPE!!":rofl: That's just pure comedy gold right there.

It was brilliant draft maneuvering. Whether it was brilliant drafting or not will play out of the course of the next several seasons.

To break it down again, and using NFL.com's draft tracker and trade tracker:

11 to 13 Yields pick 113
13 to 24 yields picks 70 and 87
24 to 22 costs pick 113

Net gain to that point: picks 70 and 87

43 to 25 costs picks 70 and 114.

Yield to that point. 2 players drafted in round 1 instead of one in the first and one in the second, with the loss of pick 114, but the gain of pick 87

The team managed to get the two players it wanted and improve its overall draft position in the later rounds (from 114 to 87) in the process. That's great maneuvering.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2010/tracker#dt-by-round-input:1/dt-tabs:dt-by-team/dt-by-team-input:den
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d817b4621&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Outstanding explanation, almost any one should be able to understand that.:salute:

In fact would you add this post to the football 101 area. as someone down the line will again state it was Stupid to do.

If you could add what each of the other draft picks cost us that may be very enlighten also. :salute:

I suspect that some where down the line they will be questioned also. TIA

Shazam!
05-18-2010, 09:19 PM
McDaniels did what he thought he had to do to get the players he wanted that he thinks will make this team a contender.

Really not rocket science here Sneak.

Lonestar
05-18-2010, 09:27 PM
Yea, I agree with that. I really liked this draft and the players and positions that we got. The only thing I wish that we addressed was the LB need via draft though. But overall it was a great draft.

And I feel like next year might be more of a defensive heavy draft with an offensive player or 2. I feel like were fixing our offense now and the defense with free agents. So we'll get younger D players in the upcoming years.

I'm excited though. :salute:

Actually They seem to think they already have budding DL guys on the roster, this year will prove it one way or the other.

They have M Thomas that is moving to his more natural position DE and then they have the kid from Hampton they got last year super RAW he tore it up at the smaller school after getting booted from Penn State.
He has the size and the talent to become a first rate NT IF he can grasp the scheme.

If these kids progress this year then we really only need some one to back them up two years from now. When William's Et al move on to greener pastures.

Broncolingus
05-18-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm sure it's already been posted, but...

"...Denver panicked!"

Right?

http://pal2pal.com/BLOGEE/images/uploads/09000d5d80deda00_gallery_600.jpg

Dude looks like he's on the Al Davis plan of aging by the way...

HORSEPOWER 56
05-18-2010, 09:55 PM
I'm sure it's already been posted, but...

"...Denver panicked!"

Right?

http://pal2pal.com/BLOGEE/images/uploads/09000d5d80deda00_gallery_600.jpg

Dude looks like he's on the Al Davis plan of aging by the way...

All he needs is the ugly-assed track suit! :tsk::lol:

BroncoSojia
05-18-2010, 09:58 PM
All he needs is the ugly-assed track suit! :tsk::lol:

Ralph is actually 11 years older than Al :shocked: