PDA

View Full Version : Tebow: Above All, Still a Rookie

BroncoWave
05-17-2010, 05:08 PM
http://maxdenver.com/blog1/2010/05/17/tebow-above-all-still-a-rookie/

Tebow: Above All, Still a Rookie
By Andrew Mason

The order was established quickly for the quarterbacks at passing camp Monday morning, and went exactly in their levels of experience.

http://www.maxdenver.com/maxdenver/images/gallery/100517/tebow.jpg
Tim Tebow flings a pass during an early-practice drill Monday. (PHOTO: MAXDENVER.COM)

First: Kyle Orton, sixth season.

Second: Brady Quinn, fourth season.

Third: Tom Brandstater, second season.

And finally Tim Tebow, who could adjust to being just one of the guys in the locker room and during practice, but was predictably intercepted by cameras, recorders and notepads as he left the field. Such attention to a newcomer who hasn’t been through rookie hazing can breed resentment, and Tebow hopes — and knows — he’ll have to earn respect through how he conducts himself every day.

“That’s not really something I can control; I think if (my teammates) know how hard I can work and know my character, then I don’t think that will bother them too much, to be honest,” he said.

Befitting that sentiment, his introduction to his fellow quarterbacks was low-key. Orton said it went like this:

“Hey, Tim, how are you doing? My name is Kyle.”

“Hey Kyle, (I’m) Tim; nice to meet you.”

Tebow’s first words to the entire team were equally understated and properly deferential.

“He stood up and introduced himself today and told everybody he was a rookie, just like anybody else,” coach Josh McDaniels said.

And befitting a rookie trying to make a diligent impression, he went full speed during windsprints at the end of practice, leading all offensive players to the finish on each of the five down-and-back runs across the football field.

“He’ll earn their respect with what he does,” McDaniels said.

CLEARLY, TEBOW KNOWS his place in the Broncos’ world. He took his repetitions last, and had the fewest. He offered to gather his fellow quarterbacks’ gear. He might be have the highest ‘Q’ score of any Bronco since John Elway, but he’s still a rookie who has to schlep for his elders.

“Tim goes about it the right away. He offered to grab books and get the helmets for everybody,” Orton said. “He knows the deal.”

On the field, Tebow’s first day with veterans saw him opt for caution. Orton and Brandstater have a year in the system; Quinn played in a similar, Patriots-style scheme with the Browns in 2007 and 2008. During a pair of seven-on-seven drills, Tebow completed all five passes he attempted, checking down three times, but also showing some decent zip on a sideline pass to Jabar Gaffney.

“I think I went out there and played hard,” Tebow said, “and I think I’ve got a long way to go.”

http://www.maxdenver.com/maxdenver/images/gallery/100517/quinn.jpg
Brady Quinn playfakes during his first practice as a Bronco. (PHOTO: MAXDENVER.COM)

AS TEBOW WENT SHORT, his fellow passers looked deep. In particular, Quinn comfortably flung 50- to 60-yard bombs, although three of the deep tosses sailed just long of their targets. Such passes were something McDaniels wanted to see.

“There were a lot of balls going down the field. We wanted to make an emphasis on that early in the spring. Those are always the most difficult to hit when you haven’t really worked on them in terms of timing and all that.”

THE ORDER IN WHICH THE QUARTERBACKS WORKED isn’t a final stratification, by any means; McDaniels reminded the media at his press conference that it remains a “competitive situation,” just like all positions. But when Quinn opened one seven-on-seven drill, eyebrows arched.

“We switched up (the order) because of the plays; we didn’t want the same players running the same things in different seven-on-seven periods,” McDaniels said. “We put Quinn in to start the second seven-on-seven, because we didn’t want Kyle to duplicate the things he ran the first period.

“We told everybody, ‘You’re all going to get reps.’ The order doesn’t matter to me, and right now I don’t think it should matter to anybody.”

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-17-2010, 05:53 PM
Cool, training camp.

TXBRONC
05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
I didn't want Denver to pick this kid at least not in the first round but now I'm glad McDaniels did. :elefant:

Hopefully he will be everything that McDaniels thinks he will be.