PDA

View Full Version : Who becomes the #1 target if Marshall is delayed?

omac
05-17-2008, 07:28 AM
(poll above)

We all hope that Brandon Marshall makes a full recovery, not just for the Broncos sake, but for his career, which is hopefully long and prosperous.

But if Marshall's recovery falls a little behind, which of our players becomes Jay's #1 target (looks/attempts)?

Colbert? Parker? Stokley? Scheffler? Other?

Fan in Exile
05-17-2008, 07:45 AM
I'm going with Darrell Jackson, because I think he's got the experience and has shown the production that he would take the number one spot if Marshall doesn't come back like we want him to.

omac
05-17-2008, 07:53 AM
I'm going with Darrell Jackson, because I think he's got the experience and has shown the production that he would take the number one spot if Marshall doesn't come back like we want him to.

Ack, I knew I forgot someone in the poll! :D

Drill-N-Fill
05-17-2008, 09:08 AM
Roy-AL :elefant::elefant::elefant::elefant:

SmilinAssasSin27
05-17-2008, 09:46 AM
Scheff is the only real option in my eyes. He and Cutty already have a rhythm and he presents mismatches like noone else we have...outside of BMarsh.

underrated29
05-17-2008, 09:51 AM
as wr go it will be djax or royal unless colebrt goes lights out and beats djax.

if no marshall i see this:

djax
royal
colbert
stokes is only good for about 15 plays per game so he will be targeted when in, but obviously he will not be in as much as the other guys.

obviously scheff, but since he is a te i left him off the list.

Northman
05-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Ive heard some rumors the kicker Anubis might get some playing time at Wideout. He could be a HUGE threat.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Darrell Jackson is an obvious fit for the #1 position because he has actual experience there in a WCO. Eddie Royal isn't going to be that guy as a rookie, but he'd get increased looks if Marshall was a little slow to come back. Royal at best will become the SE opposite of Marshall. Despite the aforementioned, I think Tony Scheffler and Jay Cutler will do great things this year. I'm not saying that a Jason Witten type receiving season is in the works, but I think Scheffler could easily pull 50 catches and 700 yards or so. He did a lot of damage last year and he was hampered down the first part of the season.

On the outside looking in, I think that: Marshall, Jackson, Colbert, Royal and Stokley would be our receivers for this year. If we kept another, Sammie Parker. At any case, we seem to be a lot better off this year than we were last year with receivers. It's hard for me to imagine players who were given multiple year contracts (Colbert) to get the axe, so we'll see.

TXBRONC
05-17-2008, 11:20 AM
(poll above)

We all hope that Brandon Marshall makes a full recovery, not just for the Broncos sake, but for his career, which is hopefully long and prosperous.

But if Marshall's recovery falls a little behind, which of our players becomes Jay's #1 target (looks/attempts)?

Colbert? Parker? Stokley? Scheffler? Other?

Hands down it's Scheffler because Jay already has re pore established Scheffler.

WARHORSE
05-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Ryan Clady.

He can do it all.

He was the 12th pick in the draft you know.

BOSSHOGG30
05-17-2008, 11:27 AM
I will go with Colbert, even though I think it is clearly Scheffler, just because of Shanahan. I think he wants Colbert to do well and prove to everyone that passing up guys like Bryant Johnson, Donte Stallsworth, and some of the other decent free agent receivers was the right thing to do. Cutler is always looking to go deep or vertical, so this might be a horrible pick..but what the hell, someone has to go out on a limb here.

TXBRONC
05-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Ryan Clady.

He can do it all.

He was the 12th pick in the draft you know.

I guess Ryan will have to learn how to be in two places at once. :D

Ziggy
05-17-2008, 11:44 AM
I guess Ryan will have to learn how to be in two places at once. :D

Tackle eligible.:D I think Colbert is going to be a solid #2 this season, and if Marshall doesn't come back, our best WR. DJack should give him some competition, but I think Colbert wins out in preseason. Royal will be a solid backup for the slot this season and learn from the slot machine himself. I only see Stokely playing 1-2 more years.

atwater27
05-17-2008, 11:59 AM
Scheff all the way! He is the MAN!

Tned
05-17-2008, 12:56 PM
I honestly don't know. That's a tough question. Could be Scheffler, if he is used in the slot when not lined up next to the tackle. I think it will all depend on how he is used. If Graham is still the every down TE and Scheffler the passing, TE, then I don't see it happening.

If Scheffler is an every down TE, sometimes lined up in a traditional TE spot and other times in the slot or wide, as Sharpe was once used, then anything is possible.

I wouldn't completely rule out Stokely if he is healthy all year.

Sassy
05-17-2008, 02:48 PM
I'd vote for Tony...but if it was Eddie...that would be fun! :devil:
(I like Brandon as a player but there are a few of you that know what I think of him as a person...)

On a side note...I love what Stokely does for the Broncos...but I don't think he has it in him to be a #1 WR now...too many injuries.
Oh yeah...fun info...we had Brandon's family staying at the same hotel as we did in Houston last year. They were roaming around the hotel wearing
Stokely tees and I asked them where they got them and they said they had them made...then it dawned on me to ask if they were
Brandon's family...

TXBRONC
05-17-2008, 03:37 PM
I'd vote for Tony...but if it was Eddie...that would be fun! :devil:
(I like Brandon as a player but there are a few of you that know what I think of him as a person...)

On a side note...I love what Stokely does for the Broncos...but I don't think he has it in him to be a #1 WR now...too many injuries.
Oh yeah...fun info...we had Brandon's family staying at the same hotel as we did in Houston last year. They were roaming around the hotel wearing
Stokely tees and I asked them where they got them and they said they had them made...then it dawned on me to ask if they were
Brandon's family...

Stokely has never been suited to be a number one wide receiver. I don't mean that as a slam its just he's not that kind of receiver. He's ok as number two receiver although I think that kind of work leads to him breaking down.

Tned
05-17-2008, 03:41 PM
Stokely has never been suited to be a number one wide receiver. I don't mean that as a slam its just he's not that kind of receiver. He's ok as number two receiver although I think that kind of work leads to him breaking down.

I don't disagree. I though his name out not because he is a #1 WR, but simply that he might be thrown into that role (or at least lead the team in receptions), depending how injuries and other things work out.

TXBRONC
05-17-2008, 04:07 PM
I don't disagree. I though his name out not because he is a #1 WR, but simply that he might be thrown into that role (or at least lead the team in receptions), depending how injuries and other things work out.

I hear ya. Injuries could force him into that role if wide receiver corp is decimated by injuries. I hope that doesn't happen not because Stokely isn't a good receiver but because he just excels in the slot.

Italianmobstr7
05-17-2008, 04:20 PM
Darrell Jackson. He's got the experience, and the talent. He's going to surprise a lot of people this season.

Hobe
05-17-2008, 04:36 PM
As long as he's health Tony Scheffler is the go-to guy.

BCJ
05-17-2008, 06:21 PM
Tony was his go to guy for those few games he finished up the season of 2006. He feels comfortable with him then and in 2007. I trust Tony and so does Jay.

Simple Jaded
05-17-2008, 06:25 PM
Darrell Jackson. He's got the experience, and the talent. He's going to surprise a lot of people this season.

I think Colbert was brought in to be the long-term-ish No2 WR, Jackson was brought in as short-term Marshall insurance after the arm injury because he's actually proven to be a No1.

If Marshall doesn't hurt himself, I don't know if Jackson is brought in at all.

With a healthy Marshall, there becomes a logjam at WR's No2 and 3, Stokley, Colbert and Jackson......that's a good problem to have but it's hard to get 2 free agent's to buy into that, and it creates more questions than answers.

Stokley is clearly the favorite for the 3rd WR/slot role he was brought in for last year, they're paying Colbert too much to be the 4th WR and Jackson doesn't take that role unless he's desperate......this, along with the fact that Jackson signed only a one-year deal, makes me wonder if he's Marshall/No1 role insurance (He is also insurance against another Stokley injury plagued season, imo).

Btw, I'm voting for Jackson, but hoping it never comes to that. Let the Broncos bad luck take a break for a while......

Broncospsycho77
05-17-2008, 06:44 PM
I hope Keary gets it, just so after every catch we can make some witty reference to the Colbert Report :heh:

Superchop 7
05-18-2008, 02:59 AM
Ummmm,

Scuze me,

Darrell Jackson is one of the best route runners I have ever seen.

He is textbook.

Oh, and BTW, he blocks like a linebacker.

Trust me, Bronco's did their homework on this guy.

Ziggy
05-18-2008, 06:32 AM
Jackson has a nasty little habit of dropping passes on 3rd and 4th downs. That was one of the main reasons why the Seahawks didn't keep him, and why he didn't work out in San Fran. There's a reason he came to Denver cheap, and teams weren't falling all over themselves to sign him.

Dean
05-18-2008, 07:00 AM
Ummmm,

Scuze me,

He is textbook.

Getting open is only part of a receiver's job. He then must make the catch. If that were not the case Watts woul still be a Bronco. . . oh, LB's are not noted for their blocking prowess. :eek:

champbronc2
05-18-2008, 08:35 AM
Well as for looks/attempts it would be Scheffler, but lining up as the #1 target I think it would be Parker since I find Kolbert would stay as a #2 and Stokley would keep slot.

TXBRONC
05-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Ummmm,

Scuze me,

He is textbook.

I'm sure they did, but he doesn't have a re pore built up with Jay like Scheffler does.

Divinelegion
05-18-2008, 10:57 AM
At the begining of last season Stokley was Jays favorite option so I imagine he would be again until Brandon got back. Theres a fair argument for Tony because of the offseason work he did with Jay, but im not sure how productive Jay was in Atlanta after reading how depleted he felt. Darrell Jackson could suprise us all with a strong showing because hes never caught passes from a big armed QB like Jay. I think Colbert will have to progress very quickly and develope alot more consistancy to fill this roll, its going to help having a more accurate QB.

Eddie Royal is going to take some time to develope as well, but he has such a high celling compared to Parker and Colbert I think we will see alot more of him toward the second half of the season. WRs comming into the NFL realy have to adjust to the overwelming speed of NFL corners, Eddie has one thing going for him and thats his awsome top speed. His ability to hit that 5th gear will get him into alot of games early because we can line D Jac and Stokley up at 1 and 2 and stick Eddie in the slot. When Brandon comes back if hes fully healthy im not sure how much playing time Eddie will see as a WR because of Stokley and his production last season when healthy.

All in all I think we did a realy good job on addressing a position of concern, with Brandon Marshall already in tow, Brandon Stockley recovered then you add Eddie Royal, Darrell Jackson, Sammie Parker, and Kerry Colbert. Jay will have lots of options and good depth to keep those options rolling. If Brandons not back by week 1 or even 4 I think hes going to do a pretty good job of spreading the ball out utilizing all of his options. You have to remember Brandon Marshall was the only guy Jay though the ball to last season because Javon was hurt then gave up on the season (hence why hes a raider), and Glenn Martinez was his other option.

cmhargrove
05-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Guys, use the brain here. How can Scheffler be a #1 target when he will be splitting snaps with Graham? We paid Graham gobs of money and he wants to also catch passes. While we have both on the roster, Scheff will never be a "superstar" receiver. That's not because of his talent, its economics.

Add in some tailbacks that can catch, maybe Hillis at FB, and you are splitting touches between a lot of skill players.

If Marshall can't go, I'll be amazed if Jackson doesn't top the depth chart, with Colbert at #2, and Stokley at #3 where he belongs. With Brandon healing up, Jay will have a good amount of time to build repoire with all the new guys. It's great to finally have some fierce competition at WR.

Tned
05-18-2008, 02:47 PM
Guys, use the brain here. How can Scheffler be a #1 target when he will be splitting snaps with Graham? We paid Graham gobs of money and he wants to also catch passes. While we have both on the roster, Scheff will never be a "superstar" receiver. That's not because of his talent, its economics.

That is the point I tried to make above. Based on Scheffler has been used to date, there is no way for him to be the number 1 target. I am not sure who will be, a lot has to be seen between now and opening day to know which FA's and other receivers rise to the top.

The only way Scheffler could become the number 1 target is if he is on the field virtually every down. In order for that to happen, he will have to be lining up in the slot or out wide on a regular basis.

Lonestar
05-18-2008, 02:59 PM
That is the point I tried to make above. Based on Scheffler has been used to date, there is no way for him to be the number 1 target. I am not sure who will be, a lot has to be seen between now and opening day to know which FA's and other receivers rise to the top.

The only way Scheffler could become the number 1 target is if he is on the field virtually every down. In order for that to happen, he will have to be lining up in the slot or out wide on a regular basis.

And this could happen he is big enough and while he does not have blazing speed is fast enough to cause some match up issues..

Frankly he still may line up as a TE and get the majority of the catches.. Sharpe has demonstrated that a great TE can indeed get a lot of traffic.. The year the Eddie and Rod got a thousand yards he had IIRC 900+.

We very well may be alot of receivers with 700 yards or so.. With no true #1..

Tned
05-18-2008, 03:55 PM
And this could happen he is big enough and while he does not have blazing speed is fast enough to cause some match up issues..

Frankly he still may line up as a TE and get the majority of the catches.. Sharpe has demonstrated that a great TE can indeed get a lot of traffic.. The year the Eddie and Rod got a thousand yards he had IIRC 900+.

We very well may be alot of receivers with 700 yards or so.. With no true #1..

The problem with Scheff becoming the #1 target (as the thread title asks), is that if he doesn't line up in the slot and out wide quite often, he probably isn't on the field enough to the be the #1 target.

The team can only run so many two TE sets, and unless Graham becomes a backup, Graham will probably be on the field quite a bit, which means Scheff is on the sidelines or playing a 'receiver' role in the slot or out wide, on the non-two TE sets.

Bronco9798
05-18-2008, 08:33 PM
As long as the running game is working and moving the chains, it really doesn't matter. Cutler will find a receiver whether it's the #1, #2, #3 or a TE or RB.

Retired_Member_001
05-19-2008, 04:27 AM
Darrell Jackson will be te #1 target if Marshall is delayed. He's a good receiver with experience. He can be a safe option untill Marshall gets back.

Anyone saying Eddie Royal needs to take off their Orange Coloured Glasses. It's very hard for a rookie to come in from day 1 and start playing effectively. How many casses of this do you see in the NFL? He probably won't see much time even if Marshall isn't healthy for the first few weeks. The only time on the field he will see is returning kicks/punts.

LRtagger
05-19-2008, 08:21 AM
Ocho Cinco :D

Nah just kidding, it will be Jackson.

Retired_Member_001
05-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Ocho Cinco :D

Nah just kidding, it will be Jackson.

I still can't get over how gay Ocho Cinco sounds.

Cugel
05-19-2008, 11:48 AM
If Marshall can't go, then Darrell Jackson immediately becomes the #1 WR and general #1 target. No matter what Sheffler does he isn't going to be the #1 option. He could be a nice #2 though if he continues to develop.

Frankly, the Broncos will try and get Daniel Graham into the offense more this year. He was signed to catch passes, not just to block, but the OL sucked so bad last year that he had to stay in on every play just to prevent Cutler from being de-capitated.

With Ben Hamilton and Nalen coming back, plus Harris having more experience, and the drafting of Ryan Clady to be the LT the Broncos OL should be vastly improved. That could allow Graham to catch a lot more passes. He proved he was a pass-catching threat on the Patriots, he was just buried on the depth chart behind Ben Watson who is an elite pass-catching TE.

We haven't seen what he can do here in Denver yet. Hopefully that will change this season! :beer:

56crash
05-19-2008, 02:20 PM
Darrell Jackson

56crash
05-19-2008, 02:22 PM

Add in some tailbacks that can catch, maybe Hillis at FB, and you are splitting touches between a lot of skill players.

If Marshall can't go, I'll be amazed if Jackson doesn't top the depth chart, with Colbert at #2, and Stokley at #3 where he belongs. With Brandon healing up, Jay will have a good amount of time to build repoire with all the new guys. It's great to finally have some fierce competition at WR.

Oh he cold be the # 1 target Sharp was our #2 TE and seemed to catch plenty of balls .

Ziggy
05-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Oh he cold be the # 1 target Sharp was our #2 TE and seemed to catch plenty of balls .

Actually, Sharpe was our #1 TE, and Carswell came in on 2 TE sets.

Beantown Bronco
05-19-2008, 03:30 PM
Given the fact that the Broncos are going to field a rookie left tackle out there from day one, I think it's safe to say that Daniel Graham will be out there full time helping out with blocking at least early-on in his development. That will hurt Schef's numbers some.

D. Jackson is the only logical choice here. Any other name is either wishful thinking or going out on a serious limb with no facts or logic to back it up. No other person on that list has ever assumed a #1 role in their NFL career, nor have they even been close to doing so.

G_Money
05-19-2008, 04:30 PM
Peyton Hillis. He caught as many balls last year as any of those guys.

Colbert: 32 for 332, 0 TD
Stokley: 40 for 635, 5 TD
Scheffler: 49 for 549, 5 TD
Jackson: 46 for 497, 3 TD
Hillis: 49 for 537, 5 TDs (college season, not 16 games)

Seriously, it should be Jackson. He should be our #2 guy unless he's just atrocious, with Stokley in the slot where he's most effective. Stokley's production comes down because Scheffler's role functions like a Big Slot receiver, so they're sort of splitting the production of that role. I don't expect Colbert to get on the field much, Royal will probably spend his time mostly as a KR unless we run some 4 or 5 wide sets this year, and Hillis will have his receptions limited by a) whether Shanny remembers how to throw to a back out of the backfield consistently and b) how long Henry holds up.

Of course, if Cutler doesn't like throwing to Jackson (or Jackson returns to his "I make Darius Watts look like he has glue on his fingers" roots), it's all up in the air.

Here's hoping Marshall is immaculately healthy come pre-season and remains so all year.

~G

MOtorboat
05-19-2008, 04:37 PM
Peyton Hillis. He caught as many balls last year as any of those guys.

Colbert: 32 for 332, 0 TD
Stokley: 40 for 635, 5 TD
Scheffler: 49 for 549, 5 TD
Jackson: 46 for 497, 3 TD
Hillis: 49 for 537, 5 TDs (college season, not 16 games)

Seriously, it should be Jackson. He should be our #2 guy unless he's just atrocious, with Stokley in the slot where he's most effective. Stokley's production comes down because Scheffler's role functions like a Big Slot receiver, so they're sort of splitting the production of that role. I don't expect Colbert to get on the field much, Royal will probably spend his time mostly as a KR unless we run some 4 or 5 wide sets this year, and Hillis will have his receptions limited by a) whether Shanny remembers how to throw to a back out of the backfield consistently and b) how long Henry holds up.

Of course, if Cutler doesn't like throwing to Jackson (or Jackson returns to his "I make Darius Watts look like he has glue on his fingers" roots), it's all up in the air.

Here's hoping Marshall is immaculately healthy come pre-season and remains so all year.

~G

FWIW, I'm not sure Casey Dick could make a crossing throw, so that dump off to Hillis was about their only passing game, until Monk got healthy...

G_Money
05-19-2008, 04:46 PM
Yep.

Casey Dick was throwing in the general direction of the big guy in the red shirt, probably with his eyes closed.

I'm amazed Hillis didn't get killed when everyone had to know that play was coming over...and over...and over...

~G

Lonestar
05-19-2008, 08:16 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. (CBS4) ― The Denver Broncos opened quarterback camp on Monday and, somewhat surprisingly, Brandon Marshall was an active participant.

The injured receiver, who emerged as Cutler's primary target during a breakout 2007 season, did everything but catch the football during practice.

Marshall hurt his arm in March at a resort in Florida when he fell into a television set while was horsing around with his older brother. He cut an artery, a vein, a nerve, two tendons and three muscles in his right arm.

The receiver's fast recovery comes as something of a surprise. Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan said Marshall should be catching the ball by late June.

After the injury, Broncos quarterback Jay Cutler publicly expressed his disappointment at Marshall's off-the-field incidents, something that Hall of Famer John Elway reacted negatively to, telling the media he wouldn't have publicly expressed disappointment with any teammate. Cutler later said that Marshall was a little bit mad at him over the comments but that he didn't regret making them.

Marshall was in court in Denver last Friday for a hearing. He faces a DUI charge stemming from an October incident.

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/brandon.marshall.hand.2.727847.html

Bronco9798
05-19-2008, 08:40 PM
At least he brought his hammy!!

O-ManePunisher
05-19-2008, 08:44 PM
Scheff is the only real option in my eyes. He and Cutty already have a rhythm and he presents mismatches like noone else we have...outside of BMarsh.

Yea i think Scheff will have more balls thrown his way

Bronco9798
05-19-2008, 08:47 PM
Scheff should have a healthy foot too!!!

MOtorboat
05-19-2008, 08:51 PM

We'll gameplan towards him this year, anyway, imo...especially if Marshall is hurt, and especially if our running game is good again.

Lonestar
05-19-2008, 08:51 PM

he is big and fast makes great catches, no real reason that DEN could not have a Gates or TG, type TE that is a team leader in receiving.

SmilinAssasSin27
05-19-2008, 09:23 PM
he is big and fast makes great catches, no real reason that DEN could not have a Gates or TG, type TE that is a team leader in receiving.

I think you mean Shannon Sharpe. I'll let this one slide.

Lonestar
05-19-2008, 09:26 PM
I think you mean Shannon Sharpe. I'll let this one slide.

NO I mean Scheffler.. has the potential to be a great one.. lets see if he rises to the occasion.. NOT like thenry!! pardone the pun

TXBRONC
05-19-2008, 11:56 PM
If Marshall can't go, then Darrell Jackson immediately becomes the #1 WR and general #1 target. No matter what Sheffler does he isn't going to be the #1 option. He could be a nice #2 though if he continues to develop.

Frankly, the Broncos will try and get Daniel Graham into the offense more this year. He was signed to catch passes, not just to block, but the OL sucked so bad last year that he had to stay in on every play just to prevent Cutler from being de-capitated.

With Ben Hamilton and Nalen coming back, plus Harris having more experience, and the drafting of Ryan Clady to be the LT the Broncos OL should be vastly improved. That could allow Graham to catch a lot more passes. He proved he was a pass-catching threat on the Patriots, he was just buried on the depth chart behind Ben Watson who is an elite pass-catching TE.

We haven't seen what he can do here in Denver yet. Hopefully that will change this season! :beer:

I don't doubt that Shanahan wants to get Grahm more involved in the passing game that being said Sheffler is one Jay's favorite targets. In fact, Scheffler was second on the team in reception last year.

pilfin
05-20-2008, 07:49 AM
Lorne Sam

Beantown Bronco
05-20-2008, 08:12 AM
The injured receiver, who emerged as Cutler's primary target during a breakout 2007 season, did everything but catch the football

And let the Darius Watts comparisons begin. :D

BroncoBuff
05-20-2008, 09:33 PM
Darrell Jackson. I love Scheffler, but even Shannon Sharpe couldn't catch as many balls as the wideouts.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-20-2008, 09:37 PM
Darrell Jackson. I love Scheffler, but even Shannon Sharpe couldn't catch as many balls as the wideouts.

Welcome Buff. It's Req. Glad you found your way over here. :salute:

BroncoBuff
05-20-2008, 10:13 PM
Welcome Buff. It's Req. Glad you found your way over here. :salute:

HEY!

Sheesh, 4100 posts? You're a big wheel around here. How's the new guitar?

Requiem / The Dagda
05-20-2008, 10:16 PM
HEY!

Sheesh, 4100 posts? You're a big wheel around here. How's the new guitar?

Non-existant. I racked up a 1,000 dollars in CC debt and am paying that off and I am still on the job hunt for this summer. It's going to have to wait a while, but I fixed my old electric up, so it's all good. I figure this summer will give me an opportunity to get good again, and then I'll go from there. If I'm going to get new equipment, I'm going to do it right so I won't have to get new stuff for a long time. :salute:

SmilinAssasSin27
05-20-2008, 10:28 PM
NO I mean Scheffler.. has the potential to be a great one.. lets see if he rises to the occasion.. NOT like thenry!! pardone the pun

nevermind

Superchop 7
05-21-2008, 02:25 AM
It's Jackson, the guy could hold clinics on route running.

broncohead
05-21-2008, 02:34 AM
Whoever wins the #2 WR spot will be the target behind Marshall. I don't see Tony being on the field enough to be the main target. No doubt he has the potential but thats all it is right now. Unless Tony can take the starting job away from Graham then it won't be him.

broncohead
05-21-2008, 02:50 AM
We already have a WR thread and I didn't want to start another one but heres an article on Colbert:

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=8016

TXBRONC
05-21-2008, 07:13 AM
All of these new receivers are going to have to develop a re pore with Cutler before anyone of them could possibly be his go to guy. That being said I look back at his rookie year who was his favorite target? Tony Scheffler. Last year as we all know it was Marshall followed by Scheffler. It doesn't matter how good Jackson runs routes he has to gain the trust of quarterback and that is going to take time. All that being said at this time it looks like Marshall is well on his way to recovery so this may end up being a moot point.

WhatEver!!!
05-21-2008, 08:48 AM
My guess would be either Stokley or Scheffler. Cutler has a good feel for both. I know from experience that Colbert sucks so I hope he will be cut.

Lonestar
05-21-2008, 12:01 PM
My guess would be either Stokley or Scheffler. Cutler has a good feel for both. I know from experience that Colbert sucks so I hope he will be cut.

Your correct but I think Stokely will see limited time on the field, for many reason mostly he is a TRUE slot guy and is not designed to take a beating getting off the LOS by the top CB's on the field.

While graham is a solid blocking TE, if the new OLINE gels faster than some think (myself included) then while he can catch the Ball Scheffler is by far the better receiving TE on this team..

This thread is probably moot as it sounds like Marshall will be back earlier than thought..

BroncoBuff
05-21-2008, 01:05 PM
It's Jackson, the guy could hold clinics on route running.

Yeah, Jackson is truly a first-rate NFL wideout ... some of us forget that.

They're committed to using Stokley less often, and even though Scheffler is great, like I said he won't catch more than Shannon Sharpe did, and Shannon was never #1 in terms of number of catches. I love the way they line up Scheffler all over the field, though.

Lonestar
05-21-2008, 01:21 PM
Yeah, Jackson is truly a first-rate NFL wideout ... some of us forget that.

They're committed to using Stokley less often, and even though Scheffler is great, like I said he won't catch more than Shannon Sharpe did, and Shannon was never #1 in terms of number of catches. I love the way they line up Scheffler all over the field, though.

Yet Sharpe had some really good WRs outside of him not so today, If Marshall is not back to his level of last year they have Martinez and Stokely..

Had Sharpe been in that position he just might have been the leading receiver..

Cugel
05-21-2008, 02:06 PM
Yet Sharpe had some really good WRs outside of him not so today, If Marshall is not back to his level of last year they have Martinez and Stokely..

Actually, IF Marshall can't play because of injury, they have Darrell Jackson and Keary Colbert fighting for #1 and #2 and Brandon Stokely #3. That would be less than ideal of course, but it's just like any other team. If they lose their #1 WR it hurts. Not many teams have 2 legitimate #1 WRs so that if one goes down they have another ready to go. The Colts, maybe a couple of others, but that's it.

Marshall is important to the team, naturally. But Darrell Jackson wouldn't be horrible if he had to play #1 WR. He's done it before. As for Colbert, he has to prove he can hold onto the ball. We'll see. :coffee:

G_Money
05-21-2008, 02:37 PM

Right, but Sharpe was on the field every down. Scheff isn't, because he blocks like a little girl in pigtails.

Scheffler and Stokely essentially split the receptions that would be going to a full-time Pro Bowl TE like Sharpe.

Because of that, even if Marshall goes down I don't see Scheff's receptions going through the roof.

Unless Cutler demands he basically play a WR position, anyway. That COULD happen with the loss or delay of Marshall. He'll want somebody on the field he's totally comfortable with, and I'd expect us to run a lot more RB screens and passes in the flat, and 2 TE sets where both guys might actually run patterns.

Then all Scheffler would have to do is not get injured himself...

~G

Lonestar
05-21-2008, 02:45 PM
Actually, IF Marshall can't play because of injury, they have Darrell Jackson and Keary Colbert fighting for #1 and #2 and Brandon Stokely #3. That would be less than ideal of course, but it's just like any other team. If they lose their #1 WR it hurts. Not many teams have 2 legitimate #1 WRs so that if one goes down they have another ready to go. The Colts, maybe a couple of others, but that's it.

Marshall is important to the team, naturally. But Darrell Jackson wouldn't be horrible if he had to play #1 WR. He's done it before. As for Colbert, he has to prove he can hold onto the ball. We'll see. :coffee:

While I understand what your saying here and it is perfectly logical the real question of the thread is

Who becomes the #1 target if Marshall is delayed? ..

I still think Scheffler is going to be target numero uno.. Until Jay gets someone else he has timing with..

That is what I have been consistently been saying..

Had the question thread title been who will be the number one WR then Scheffler would not have been a logical answer.. :salute:

Lonestar
05-21-2008, 02:49 PM
Right, but Sharpe was on the field every down. Scheff isn't, because he blocks like a little girl in pigtails.

Scheffler and Stokely essentially split the receptions that would be going to a full-time Pro Bowl TE like Sharpe.

Because of that, even if Marshall goes down I don't see Scheff's receptions going through the roof.

Unless Cutler demands he basically play a WR position, anyway. That COULD happen with the loss or delay of Marshall. He'll want somebody on the field he's totally comfortable with, and I'd expect us to run a lot more RB screens and passes in the flat, and 2 TE sets where both guys might actually run patterns.

~G

Until the last couple of season Sharpe blocking was done with his mouth.. As buff as he was his blocking was not a forte..

If the OLINE steps up blocking is not a huge deal.. Especailly on passing downs..

Your also correct Scheffler has seemed to be in the mash unit alot also..

the real thread name is

Who becomes the #1 target if Marshall is delayed?

:focus:

Beantown Bronco
05-21-2008, 03:44 PM
Any of you thirty that picked Scheff care to change your vote now?

G_Money
05-21-2008, 04:08 PM

~G

This one's my fault, fellas. Jinxed him. I will do my part to try not to bring up Scheff's injury potential when we're playing the games for real. :salute:

~G

TXBRONC
05-21-2008, 09:24 PM
This one's my fault, fellas. Jinxed him. I will do my part to try not to bring up Scheff's injury potential when we're playing the games for real. :salute:

~G

Thanks a lot G. :tsk: j/k

BroncoJunkie
05-21-2008, 10:09 PM
I talked to my spine Dr. today who is a Bronco fan and was unaware of Marshall's injury. I told him about his injury and his forearm being sliced open. He said if his nerves were severed that he wont be playing again. Now thats just his opinion , and I hope that he is wrong. I know this spine Dr. graduated med school out of Colorado but to say you're a Bronco fan but didnt know about marshall's injury ? Well maybe he's to busy to keep up w/ the team.

TXBRONC
05-21-2008, 10:20 PM
I talked to my spine Dr. today who is a Bronco fan and was unaware of Marshall's injury. I told him about his injury and his forearm being sliced open. He said if his nerves were severed that he wont be playing again. Now thats just his opinion , and I hope that he is wrong. I know this spine Dr. graduated med school out of Colorado but to say you're a Bronco fan but didnt know about marshall's injury ? Well maybe he's to busy to keep up w/ the team.

Your Dr is right. If Marshall had severed the nerves the likelihood of him playing again would be minimal. Nerve tissue doesn't regenerate like most other human tissue.

pnbronco
05-21-2008, 11:20 PM

~G

Well G, it's good to know. I think you need to go dance in the moon light and sacrifice a Raider or Chief jersey...:laugh:

G_Money
05-21-2008, 11:22 PM
Your Dr is right. If Marshall had severed the nerves the likelihood of him playing again would be minimal. Nerve tissue doesn't regenerate like most other human tissue.

Denver Broncos star wide receiver Brandon Marshall severed an artery, a vein and a nerve in his forearm along with tendons to five muscles in a freak accident last weekend, NFL Network's Adam Schefter reported Monday.

He did sever a nerve TXBronc. I just dunno which one it was, and nobody has ever said that I know of. My guess would be the radial nerve, potentially.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_nerve

If he cut the extensor bundle that'd be the 5 muscles they mention being cut as well.

It'd make it a chore to get his hand open all the way until he was done with rehab and (hopefully) some nerve regeneration, but he'd still have the touch sensations in his fingertips, palm, etc, and his grip would not be affected.

IIRC, anyway - it's been 9 years since I was in school for that. :confused:

I'll take "hand closes fine and he can catch anything he can reach, but the stretch of his hand and arm may be affected" over the alternative (grip and touch sensation for the hand) any day.

We'll find out at the end of June, I guess.

~G

BMF Bronco
05-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Well we might be able to take Scheffler off that list now.

TXBRONC
05-22-2008, 06:58 AM
Well we might be able to take Scheffler off that list now.

Bite your tongue. :tsk:

BMF Bronco
05-22-2008, 10:29 AM
I hope I am wrong, but have you seen the latest reports?

LRtagger
05-22-2008, 10:55 AM

~G

Tomlinson can have a really good year this season as long as he doesnt get hurt :eyebrows:

TXBRONC
05-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I hope I am wrong, but have you seen the latest reports?

That last thing I heard was that test were inconclusive on his foot but the coaching staff is going to hold him out until camp and he has wear a protective boot.

Dean
05-22-2008, 05:42 PM
He did sever a nerve TXBronc. I just dunno which one it was, and nobody has ever said that I know of. My guess would be the radial nerve, potentially.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radial_nerve

If he cut the extensor bundle that'd be the 5 muscles they mention being cut as well.

It'd make it a chore to get his hand open all the way until he was done with rehab and (hopefully) some nerve regeneration, but he'd still have the touch sensations in his fingertips, palm, etc, and his grip would not be affected.

IIRC, anyway - it's been 9 years since I was in school for that. :confused:

I'll take "hand closes fine and he can catch anything he can reach, but the stretch of his hand and arm may be affected" over the alternative (grip and touch sensation for the hand) any day.

We'll find out at the end of June, I guess.

~G

We don't know which nerve was severed but Here is a llitle information on the nerves in the arm and their function.

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00069

Nature Boy
05-26-2008, 08:58 PM
Just as I suspected the minute I heard about Marshall's mangled arm. With a severed nerve, he'll be playing with a club hand. Cross your fingers but I think Marshall career may be over.