View Full Version : Reilly doesn't care for Broncos' McDaniels, Tebow

Lonestar
05-17-2010, 04:11 AM
Writer Reilly doesn't care for Broncos' McDaniels, Tebow
Dusty Saunders reports on the airwaves
By Dusty Saunders
The Denver Post
POSTED: 05/17/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Rick Reilly is not a fan of Josh McDaniels or Tim Tebow.
Rick Reilly is becoming testier as he moves into his electronic age.

And such testiness has been tossed toward Josh McDaniels and Tim Tebow.

In a taped interview aired Wednesday on KMGH-7, the noted ESPN writer-broadcaster criticized McDaniels — Reilly called him, sarcastically, "McGenius" — for making Tebow a first-round draft choice.

Reilly added, "As a coach, he hasn't done anything right."

And while many members of the Denver media have been fawning over the character and potential stardom of Tebow, Reilly took the opposite approach, saying the former Florida star hasn't demonstrated the ability to be an NFL quarterback.

Reilly also took on his pal John Elway, a strong Tebow cheerleader. Reilly wants to bet a dinner (at Elway's, naturally) that Tebow won't make it in the NFL as a quarterback.

Actually, Reilly has been much harsher in print than on the broadcast, regarding his feelings about Tebow and his good guy reputation.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15100024?source=rsssimplepiebroncos

Dirk
05-17-2010, 05:19 AM
People just love to hate, don't they.

The kid hasn't even had a chance to develop and show anything and some people just want to hate on him.

GGMoogly
05-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Years from now, Rick Reilly will claim credit for the greatness Tebow will have then achieved. He will say it was his writing that spurred young Tim on!:ridinghorse:

broncofaninfla
05-17-2010, 07:51 AM
Until Mcd proves his way is the right way, his decisions will continued to be question. Good thing for him is he is doing it 100% his way and has had full support from the Broncos brass. No excuses, if he wins he silences the critics, if not the criticism will grow until he is fired.

BroncoWave
05-17-2010, 09:43 AM
People will claim I'm only saying this because he's criticizing Tebow, but I've always found Reilly to be a self-righteous blowhard. I really don't understand why he's so well liked. He has a decent article every once in a while but for the most part he's just annoying.

Also, Reilly has been against McDaniels from the very start. He said before the season last year that Denver would be the worst team in the league, I don't remember if he ever admitted he was wrong or not. Reilly and Shanny must have been BFF's because he just has an outright hatred for McDaniels.

And from reading what he's written about McDaniels and Tebow, I have no doubt that he WANTS them to fail. Talk about being bitter about your boy being fired.

topscribe
05-17-2010, 10:37 AM
People just love to hate, don't they.

The kid hasn't even had a chance to develop and show anything and some people just want to hate on him.

Hmmm . . . sounds like what happened to a certain Orton I know of . . . :coffee:

-----

topscribe
05-17-2010, 10:39 AM
People will claim I'm only saying this because he's criticizing Tebow, but I've always found Reilly to be a self-righteous blowhard. I really don't understand why he's so well liked. He has a decent article every once in a while but for the most part he's just annoying.

Also, Reilly has been against McDaniels from the very start. He said before the season last year that Denver would be the worst team in the league, I don't remember if he ever admitted he was wrong or not. Reilly and Shanny must have been BFF's because he just has an outright hatred for McDaniels.

And from reading what he's written about McDaniels and Tebow, I have no doubt that he WANTS them to fail. Talk about being bitter about your boy being fired.

Well, so you have the haters such as Reilly on one side and the groupies such
as Woody (an appropriate name in this case) on the other. As long as we
understand the truth is probably somewhere in the middle . . .

-----

BroncoWave
05-17-2010, 10:42 AM
Well, so you have the haters such as Reilly on one side and the groupies such
as Woody (an appropriate name in this case) on the other. As long as we
understand the truth is probably somewhere in the middle . . .

-----

Oh I fully agree with that, that was just a side-tangent of my dislike for Reilly. I find myself annoyed at reading a number of his articles. As for Paige, I don't take much he says seriously either. He can at least be funny and entertaining at times though.

jhildebrand
05-17-2010, 10:58 AM
Who asked Reilly for his opinion? :confused:

jhildebrand
05-17-2010, 11:01 AM
Hmmm . . . sounds like what happened to a certain Orton I know of . . . :coffee:

-----

That's what is so interesting about the Tebow situation to me.

A lot of the people who backed Orton, preached patience with him, and made big proclomation for the guy in the face of all critics are now the same people ready to write the guy off (for all the same reasons listed by the Orton critics) now.

slim
05-17-2010, 11:21 AM
I also liked Reilly.

He has had some pretty good stories over the years.

JDL
05-17-2010, 12:02 PM

Well, I would imagine ESPN who pays his salary and asks him to write and talk about provocative subjects. Sort of his job and all.

Not that I agree with him, but I understand his perspective, everything McD has done to this point has run counter to the prevailing wisdom of those in the media and their sources around the league. You can't just simply ignore the amount of headscratching being done by those who get paid just like McDaniels and are every bit if not more respected for their decision-making capability (I bring up since people love to sit around and say how much more he knows than everyone else.)

Still, I've learned a long time ago, prevailing wisdom is not the same thing as wisdom and often greatness appears this way. We'll find out soon enough though and I would say there should not be ANY apologists for McDaniels should he fail (because there will have been plenty of warning signs of impending failure) - however, if he comes up big, a lot of people will need to silence themselves greatly and admit that McDaniels, while unorthodox, has a style that works - if indeed it does and he will have earned FAR more leeway to be given the benefit of the doubt after proving these methods effective.

Make no mistake the odds are stacked heavily against McD, Tebow and this whole experiment, I am personally fascinated by it (if not a little horrified since it is the team I support), but nonetheless fascinated by the sheer out of the box thinking going on. You just don't have the power struggles he has had with Execs (the Goodmans), Players (Marshall, Cutler and various others rumored) and possibly his own hired coaches (depending on what and who you believe about the Nolan situation.) What can be said with great accuracy is that uncertainty and drama have followed McDaniels since day 1 and that lack of stability can be a very difficult thing to overcome. We should all be wishing the best for him as what is best for him is best for us as fans, but his decision-making is going to be brought under scrutiny when he makes decisions like he has, doesn't mean he is wrong, but in the NFL the media is usually better off predicting failure than success because you are correct FAR more often than not, because success is such a difficult thing to achieve in the league.

Northman
05-17-2010, 12:27 PM

Ray Lewis.

LRtagger
05-17-2010, 12:38 PM
Didn't Reilly used to dog on shanny and cutler too?

Superchop 7
05-17-2010, 01:40 PM
I liked the show with Zappolo, agree with Rick for the most part.

Out of the box thinking gets out of a job results.

Or a 5ft 8inch cornerback.

slim
05-17-2010, 01:47 PM
Thinking outside the box gets you Darrell Green?

Sweet, sign me up.

LordTrychon
05-17-2010, 02:35 PM
You don't have to be BFF with Shanny to dislike McD's moves. :confused:

However, I think it's ridiculous to point out that a rookie who is months away from even sitting on the bench in an NFL game 'has yet to prove he can be an NFL QB'.

No kidding?

Gimme a list of the other draftees from last month, and I'll give you hundreds of names that have yet to prove they can produce in the NFL. Gimme last year's, and I'll add quite a few.

Lonestar
05-17-2010, 02:43 PM
Didn't Reilly used to dog on shanny and cutler too?

IIRC he is an East pundit that is in the NE area. there fore anything not Patriots is bad.

BroncoWave
05-17-2010, 02:48 PM
IIRC he is an East pundit that is in the NE area. there fore anything not Patriots is bad.

He is from Colorado actually. He wrote for the Denver Post and LA Times before he joined Sports Illustrated. So from that, he is quite the opposite of an East pundit.

Lonestar
05-17-2010, 02:53 PM
He is from Colorado actually. He wrote for the Denver Post and LA Times before he joined Sports Illustrated. So from that, he is quite the opposite of an East pundit.

I was pretty sure I saw his anti Bronco stuff years ago all the while kissing Billies butt.

But I have not been in DEN for decades to watch the local papers.

Thanks for the info.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-17-2010, 02:58 PM

Reilly began his career in 1979 taking phoned-in high-school volleyball scores for his hometown Boulder (Colo.) Daily Camera while a sophomore at the University of Colorado, from which he was graduated in 1981. He wrote for two years at the Camera, two more at the Denver Post and two more at the Los Angeles Times, before moving to Sports Illustrated in 1985.

Reilly dabbles in magic, piano, mountain biking, SCUBA, back-alley basketball, skiing and snowboarding. He lives in Denver and Hermosa Beach, CA, with his wife—The Lovely Cynthia—and a putter he’s not currently speaking to.

broncophan
05-17-2010, 03:21 PM
Reilly is not the only person in this world who does not care for Tebow/McD........doesn't bother me any...

OrangeHoof
05-17-2010, 03:46 PM
I've said many times that Reilly is tight with Elway and tight with Shanahan. While Elway may be on board with Tebow, I'm sure there is still some resentment over the Shanahan firing as well the whole Cutler incident.

I really wouldn't rely on Reilly's assessment when it comes to the Broncos.

WARHORSE
05-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Well, I would imagine ESPN who pays his salary and asks him to write and talk about provocative subjects. Sort of his job and all.

Not that I agree with him, but I understand his perspective, everything McD has done to this point has run counter to the prevailing wisdom of those in the media and their sources around the league. You can't just simply ignore the amount of headscratching being done by those who get paid just like McDaniels and are every bit if not more respected for their decision-making capability (I bring up since people love to sit around and say how much more he knows than everyone else.)

Still, I've learned a long time ago, prevailing wisdom is not the same thing as wisdom and often greatness appears this way. We'll find out soon enough though and I would say there should not be ANY apologists for McDaniels should he fail (because there will have been plenty of warning signs of impending failure) - however, if he comes up big, a lot of people will need to silence themselves greatly and admit that McDaniels, while unorthodox, has a style that works - if indeed it does and he will have earned FAR more leeway to be given the benefit of the doubt after proving these methods effective.

Make no mistake the odds are stacked heavily against McD, Tebow and this whole experiment, I am personally fascinated by it (if not a little horrified since it is the team I support), but nonetheless fascinated by the sheer out of the box thinking going on. You just don't have the power struggles he has had with Execs (the Goodmans), Players (Marshall, Cutler and various others rumored) and possibly his own hired coaches (depending on what and who you believe about the Nolan situation.) What can be said with great accuracy is that uncertainty and drama have followed McDaniels since day 1 and that lack of stability can be a very difficult thing to overcome. We should all be wishing the best for him as what is best for him is best for us as fans, but his decision-making is going to be brought under scrutiny when he makes decisions like he has, doesn't mean he is wrong, but in the NFL the media is usually better off predicting failure than success because you are correct FAR more often than not, because success is such a difficult thing to achieve in the league.

Prevailing wisdom in the world of football usually doesnt have the benefit of true behind the doors information.

People have to remember who the head honcho in Denver is: Pat Bowlen.

Pat isnt one of those owners who sits backs and cheers on game day, and says hes sad after losses.
He also isnt a Jerry Jones who sticks his 'expertise' in where it doesnt belong. (Side note to that is Jerry, like any competitor, will learn from his mistakes as long as he reflects genuinely on his performance)

Bowlen is in on EVERY aspect of the team, and big decisions dont pass by his desk without his stamp of approval.

That being said, we can all understand that Bowlen likes what Josh is doing in the areas he has control of. Josh cannot control the decisions or actions of specific players, he can only react to them. And like any headcoach, he has the right to say I dont want that guy on my team.

Also, Pat knows that Josh will make mistakes that a rookie HC will make. He is not so naive and business ignorant to think hes going to hire a kid who was never a HC and think he wont make mistakes. In reality, its no different than drafting Tim Tebow. McD has shown potential as a coach, and Bowlen liked what he saw of Josh enough to draft him and give him time to develop.

Its unfortunate that McD had to come into a situation where a teams brightest athletes were immature, selfish players.

If Belicheat had told the media and Cutler that he did not try to trade Cutler, but that he will listen to every offer, no one would have said anything. If Belicheat had been the one to come in and can Cutler and Marshall no one would have said a peep, and I guarantee you that 95% of the media and the pundits would have said Belichick trading Cutler, Marshall and Scheff was the right thing to do.

So its hogwash to say you cant do that as a young HC, and that hes an egotistical idiot because he made those moves. If Josh recognizes the fact that the leaders on his team are ME people, and that this will permeate his lockeroom because they are, then its not ego that makes him make the moves. He moves according to what he believes is right. Getting rid of ME players isnt the correct move when a Belichick makes the move, and incorrect when a rookie HC makes the move. Its simply the right move. No one is bigger than the team.

I appplaud McD for having the BALLS, to let go of these guys. Any LESSER HC in their rookie stint, would would have been hiding their shrinking nads with a clipboard. Kissing Cutler and Marshalls rear, thinking they were the keys to his success.

Not so.

The key to success is.......TEAM.:coffee:

honz
05-17-2010, 04:29 PM
Tim Tebow > Jesus > McDaniels > Dr. Kevorkian > Rick Reilly

BroncoWave
05-17-2010, 04:30 PM
Prevailing wisdom in the world of football usually doesnt have the benefit of true behind the doors information.

People have to remember who the head honcho in Denver is: Pat Bowlen.

Pat isnt one of those owners who sits backs and cheers on game day, and says hes sad after losses.
He also isnt a Jerry Jones who sticks his 'expertise' in where it doesnt belong. (Side note to that is Jerry, like any competitor, will learn from his mistakes as long as he reflects genuinely on his performance)

Bowlen is in on EVERY aspect of the team, and big decisions dont pass by his desk without his stamp of approval.

That being said, we can all understand that Bowlen likes what Josh is doing in the areas he has control of. Josh cannot control the decisions or actions of specific players, he can only react to them. And like any headcoach, he has the right to say I dont want that guy on my team.

Also, Pat knows that Josh will make mistakes that a rookie HC will make. He is not so naive and business ignorant to think hes going to hire a kid who was never a HC and think he wont make mistakes. In reality, its no different than drafting Tim Tebow. McD has shown potential as a coach, and Bowlen liked what he saw of Josh enough to draft him and give him time to develop.

Its unfortunate that McD had to come into a situation where a teams brightest athletes were immature, selfish players.

If Belicheat had told the media and Cutler that he did not try to trade Cutler, but that he will listen to every offer, no one would have said anything. If Belicheat had been the one to come in and can Cutler and Marshall no one would have said a peep, and I guarantee you that 95% of the media and the pundits would have said Belichick trading Cutler, Marshall and Scheff was the right thing to do.

So its hogwash to say you cant do that as a young HC, and that hes an egotistical idiot because he made those moves. If Josh recognizes the fact that the leaders on his team are ME people, and that this will permeate his lockeroom because they are, then its not ego that makes him make the moves. He moves according to what he believes is right.

I appplaud McD for having the BALLS, to let go of these guys. Any LESSER HC in their rookie stint, would would have been hiding their shrinking nads with a clipboard. Kissing Cutler and Marshalls rear, thinking they were the keys to his success.

Not so.

The key to success is.......TEAM.:coffee:

Of all the posts I have seen for or against McDaniels in his tenure as the Broncos Head Coach, this is the best one yet. Could not have said any of this better myself! :salute:

dogfish
05-17-2010, 05:32 PM
Thinking outside the box gets you Darrell Green?

Sweet, sign me up.

dude. . . darrell green's like fifty years old, and i'm pretty sure he could still outrun phonse. . .

slim
05-17-2010, 05:35 PM
dude. . . darrell green's like fifty years old, and i'm pretty sure he could still outrun phonse. . .

Yeah, I think he ran a 4.3 forty within the last year or two (read that somewhere).

But, the subject was height.

Don't take this off topic again :welcome: