PDA

View Full Version : Broncos add Gandy

oubronco
05-16-2008, 07:30 PM
Broncos add Gandy

May 16, 2008 7:13 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

The Broncos made an interesting signing Friday in the form of guard Dylan Gandy. To make room for Gandy, Denver cut guard Isaac Snell.

It'll be interesting to see if Gandy can make a push for playing time. He has some decent experience. The former fourth-round pick from Texas Tech had 14 career starts for the Colts. It takes a certain type of player to succeed in Denver's zone-blocking scheme. The Broncos don't have any opening in the starting lineup at guard but if Gandy has a good camp he has a chance to play a key reserve role.

Broncos, Dylan Gandy

Lonestar
05-16-2008, 09:42 PM
Just went to find some stats on him none to be found at NFL.com not indy or DEn web sites..

Hmmmmm Another sleeper for DEN..;)

Brand
05-16-2008, 11:14 PM
Dylan Gandy | #57 | G

Indianapolis Colts | Official Team Site

Height: 6-3 Weight: 302 Age: 26

Born: 3/8/1982 Harlingen , TX

College: Texas Tech

Experience: 3rd season

High School: Pflugerville HS [TX]

NameUsedBefore
05-16-2008, 11:17 PM
Dandy.

TXBRONC
05-16-2008, 11:36 PM
I have no idea who this guy is.

slim
05-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Coach...what say you?

shank
05-17-2008, 12:00 AM
cool

Timmy!
05-17-2008, 12:42 AM
Gandy>Snell. I'll take it.

BOSSHOGG30
05-17-2008, 05:50 AM
Gandy (6-foot-3, 302 pounds) is a fourth-year player who spent his first three professional seasons with Indianapolis. Selected by the Colts in the fourth round (129th overall) of the 2005 NFL Draft from Texas Tech University, Gandy has played 42 career games with 14 starts in the regular season. The 26-year-old also has appeared in six career playoff games (1 start), including the Colts’ victory in Super Bowl XLI during the 2006 season.

In 2007, Gandy saw time in 10 games for Indianapolis and recorded one start at right guard. He appeared in all 16 regular-season games, starting a career-high 11 contests at left guard, for the Colts’ Super Bowl XLI-champion team in 2006 that allowed an NFL-low 15 sacks and averaged an AFC-best 379.4 yards per game.

He played 16 games (2 starts) for the Colts as a rookie in 2005. At Texas Tech, Gandy started 20 games during his four-year career. He received honorable mention All-Big 12 Conference honors after not allowing a sack as a senior.

Gandy, who attended Pflugerville High School in Pflugerville, Texas, was born on March 8, 1982.

BCJ
05-17-2008, 06:20 AM

but he will be the guy to get us over the top. Super Bowl- HERE WE COME!

elsid13
05-17-2008, 11:19 AM
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/lombardi_trophy3.jpg

Ziggy
05-17-2008, 11:35 AM
Another 300 pound guard. I had never heard of Holland until the Broncos picked him up either. I think that this is a sign of 1 of 2 things:

1. They really want Kuper to compete at RT and expect that he will either win the job or backup job.
2. They think that Lichtensteiger is our next center of the future and want him to stay at that position and learn behind Nails rather than compete at guard.

Now that's a lot of reading into it all, but isn't that what armchair GM's do?

nevcraw
05-17-2008, 12:20 PM
Another 300 pound guard. I had never heard of Holland until the Broncos picked him up either. I think that this is a sign of 1 of 2 things:

1. They really want Kuper to compete at RT and expect that he will either win the job or backup job.
2. They think that Lichtensteiger is our next center of the future and want him to stay at that position and learn behind Nails rather than compete at guard.

Now that's a lot of reading into it all, but isn't that what armchair GM's do?

Or they saw a better player than Isaac Snell and replaced him.

Davii
05-17-2008, 12:32 PM
Or they saw a better player than Isaac Snell and replaced him.

Well that's a boring viewpoint. Come on, go out on a limb like everyone else!

:coffee:

Hope he plays well enough to make the roster. We can obviously use all the competition we can get on the line.

MOtorboat
05-17-2008, 02:26 PM
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/G/GandDy20.htm

NameUsedBefore
05-17-2008, 02:53 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/i/magazine/new/lombardi_trophy3.jpg

Every piece counts!

Acedude
05-17-2008, 04:43 PM
http://search.indystar.com/sp?eId=213&gcId=86255457&rNum=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fnl.newsbank.com%2Fcgi-bin%2Fngate%2FIN%3Fext_docid%3Dind131583404%26ext_ hed%3DGandy%2C+Fletcher+get+pink+slips+in+cost-cutting%26s_site%3Dindystar%26ext_theme%3Dgannett% 26pubcode%3DIN%26usefield%3Dsqn&siteIdType=2

Cost-cutting move by Indy. Good pickup.

TXBRONC
05-17-2008, 04:51 PM
but he will be the guy to get us over the top. Super Bowl- HERE WE COME!

I'm not sure but we might need a little more help on the interior of our defensive line before we're ready for the Super Bowl.

Simple Jaded
05-17-2008, 07:50 PM
C-OG Dylan Gandy (6'-3"/304, 5.17) Texas Tech.

Notes:Was a two-way player in high school who also served as long-snapper and participated in track. Named first-team all-district as a tackle. Started 3-0f-11 games in which he played as a redshirt freshman in 2001, showing the ability to play any position across the line. Started 3-of-14 games in which he played in 02, seeing time at both guard and center. Backing up C Toby Cecil in 03 but saw action at every position on the line and started two games at LG. Started all 12 games at center in 04 and earned second-team All-Big12 honors from the media and honorable mention from league coaches. Three-time Academic All-Big12 selection.

Positives: Very athletic. Quick off the ball. Plays with a good base and natural knee bend. Can sink his hips, play with leverage and finish blocks. Flashes a violent punch. Can pull and trap and adjust on he move. Sets quickly in pass protection. Has long arms and big hands and uses them well to lock out. Gets good positioning and can drive defenders out of the way. Shows quick, active hand work. Versatile and intelligent and learns quickly. Great leader. Tough and aggressive. Competes hard.

Negatives: Lacks great size. Plays with a wide base, will lunge and get overextended at times. Not very explosive and can get knocked around.

Summary: Made big strides in his first year as a full-time starter and should be a fourth-to-fifth-round pick.

I watch about as much Texas Tech as I do Arena Football League (Same difference) so I'd never paid him any attention, but this sounds intriguing. Playing 3 seasons for Howard Mudd doesn't hurt either, but it makes me wonder why would the Colts dumped him......

TXBRONC
05-17-2008, 08:31 PM
C-OG Dylan Gandy (6'-3"/304, 5.17) Texas Tech.

Notes:Was a two-way player in high school who also served as long-snapper and participated in track. Named first-team all-district as a tackle. Started 3-0f-11 games in which he played as a redshirt freshman in 2001, showing the ability to play any position across the line. Started 3-of-14 games in which he played in 02, seeing time at both guard and center. Backing up C Toby Cecil in 03 but saw action at every position on the line and started two games at LG. Started all 12 games at center in 04 and earned second-team All-Big12 honors from the media and honorable mention from league coaches. Three-time Academic All-Big12 selection.

Positives: Very athletic. Quick off the ball. Plays with a good base and natural knee bend. Can sink his hips, play with leverage and finish blocks. Flashes a violent punch. Can pull and trap and adjust on he move. Sets quickly in pass protection. Has long arms and big hands and uses them well to lock out. Gets good positioning and can drive defenders out of the way. Shows quick, active hand work. Versatile and intelligent and learns quickly. Great leader. Tough and aggressive. Competes hard.

Negatives: Lacks great size. Plays with a wide base, will lunge and get overextended at times. Not very explosive and can get knocked around.

Summary: Made big strides in his first year as a full-time starter and should be a fourth-to-fifth-round pick.

I watch about as much Texas Tech as I do Arena Football League (Same difference) so I'd never paid him any attention, but this sounds intriguing. Playing 3 seasons for Howard Mudd doesn't hurt either, but it makes me wonder why would the Colts dumped him......

That's good question, however this wont be coming in here to start but add depth.

Brand
05-17-2008, 08:53 PM
I wouldn't read any more into it than the facts that he has experience, plays guard and is a long snapper. Maybe it its time the Broncos have a long snapper who plays an actual positon and may be more helpful than just taking upa spot except for snapping the ball. It is certaily worth a look-see......

TXBRONC
05-17-2008, 09:15 PM
I wouldn't read any more into it than the facts that he has experience, plays guard and is a long snapper. Maybe it its time the Broncos have a long snapper who plays an actual positon and may be more helpful than just taking upa spot except for snapping the ball. It is certaily worth a look-see......

Leach is a tight end and he's and is very long snapper.

Dreadnought
05-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Leach is a tight end and he's and is very long snapper.

And Frau has a "thing" for Mike Leach. He's gotta stay.

TXBRONC
05-17-2008, 11:03 PM

Hey if Frau has a "thing" for Leach then yeah I guess you're right he needs to stay. :D

Superchop 7
05-17-2008, 11:33 PM
Thank you God,

This guy is better at right guard than anything we've got.

Getting solid now.

Tned
05-18-2008, 12:30 AM
As to Leach, he has pretty much been money as a long snapper, which is like Gold in the NFL. That's why NFL teams are willing to dedicate a precious roster spot to for someone that only long snaps. So, who knows if this guy can do both, but I don't think they will switch long snappers on a whim.

Lonestar
05-18-2008, 01:18 AM
As to Leach, he has pretty much been money as a long snapper, which is like Gold in the NFL. That's why NFL teams are willing to dedicate a precious roster spot to for someone that only long snaps. So, who knows if this guy can do both, but I don't think they will switch long snappers on a whim.

Plus Leach seems to be down field near the punt returner on most plays.

I have never been able to find tackles just on special teams.. Anyone have a link?

Tned
05-18-2008, 01:23 AM
I have never been able to find tackles just on special teams.. Anyone have a link?

For the NFL as a whole, not just the Broncos

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/stats/2007/special_teams/0_bySPEC_TKL.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/stats/2006/special_teams/0_bySPEC_TKL.html

Lonestar
05-18-2008, 01:32 AM
For the NFL as a whole, not just the Broncos

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/stats/2007/special_teams/0_bySPEC_TKL.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/stats/2006/special_teams/0_bySPEC_TKL.html

Hmmmmm

Niko Koutouvides number 3 in tackles

At least something may improve since there was NO DONKEYS on the list at all..

NameUsedBefore
05-18-2008, 02:39 AM
Everytime I see Leach making the tackle on the punt returner I just laugh. I mean what the hell, why is the guy who is snapping the ball and blocking the rushers the same guy tackling the punt returner :lol:

Superchop 7
05-18-2008, 02:57 AM
If you look at the charts,

We had a huge problem at right guard.

This helps.

Ziggy
05-18-2008, 06:36 AM

This helps.

How about a link for those "charts" you are talking about?

elsid13
05-18-2008, 06:36 AM

This helps.

I don't think we have problem right guard, Denver just needs veteran depth in the interior.

gobroncsnv
05-18-2008, 07:49 AM
As to Leach, he has pretty much been money as a long snapper, which is like Gold in the NFL.

Please tell me you don't mean the Ian kind!!! :laugh:

Acedude
05-18-2008, 11:49 AM

Yah, most teams have a roster spot just for a long snapper. Leach makes a lot of tackles on PR's also. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

cmhargrove
05-18-2008, 02:31 PM

This helps.

Montrae Holland was our best O-lineman last year - period.

Watch video of any game last year. Holland was consistently our best blocker all year - especially pass blocking. He really picked up the running scheme as the season went along as well.

It's great to have depth, but RG was our strong point last year. I think it brings more competition to LG if Kuper really has a shot at RT. That means Hamilton and Gandy should fight it out for LG. Lichtensteiger gets a redshirt year.

Acedude
05-18-2008, 08:56 PM
Montrae Holland was our best O-lineman last year - period.

Watch video of any game last year. Holland was consistently our best blocker all year - especially pass blocking. He really picked up the running scheme as the season went along as well.

It's great to have depth, but RG was our strong point last year. I think it brings more competition to LG if Kuper really has a shot at RT. That means Hamilton and Gandy should fight it out for LG. Lichtensteiger gets a redshirt year.

Yah, Holland played well. I saw a lot of DT's try to bull-rush him and he had feet enough and strength enough to hold his ground for the most part. Did he have a holding penalty called against him all year? I don't think so. That's a big deal. Holland may not be All-Pro, but he's a good guy to have at RG with a good RT. Denver needs an RT real bad. Kuper I think is the guy. Tough guy, mean, big, good feet. Adding this Gandy guy was a good move. He's a LG, that frees up Kuper to move to RT and the main man after Hamilton gets a concussion.

I think the O is gonna be good this year. I hope Shanny attacks more.

Bronco9798
05-18-2008, 09:15 PM
He had 2 false starts, 2 holding calls, and allowed 2 sacks for 9 yards.

frauschieze
05-18-2008, 09:35 PM

Damn skippy, I do. And since Elam is gone, he MUST stay. That man plays his heart out every game. He's a solid long snapper and a great teammate. His love of football shows and he's a small bright spot on an otherwise dismal special teams unit.

Plus Leach seems to be down field near the punt returner on most plays.

Everytime I see Leach making the tackle on the punt returner I just laugh. I mean what the hell, why is the guy who is snapping the ball and blocking the rushers the same guy tackling the punt returner :lol:

Ant that is exactly why I love him so much. His job doesn't stop after he's snapped the ball and he never forgets that.

TXBRONC
05-18-2008, 10:20 PM
Yah, most teams have a roster spot just for a long snapper. Leach makes a lot of tackles on PR's also. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it.

Agreed, Leach has played well there's no need to replace him.

Acedude
05-18-2008, 11:13 PM

Dang. Were those in the first 8 games, or over the last 8 games?

Lonestar
05-18-2008, 11:16 PM

Dang. Were those in the first 8 games, or over the last 8 games?

playing in between pears and center of the week it matters not a whole hell of a lot..

False starts should never happen but holding should have been a priority over letting your QB get sacked..

I believe he played every down this past year more that we can say about the rest of the OLINE..

BroncoJunkie
05-19-2008, 12:38 AM

I think leach is our most under rated player. He does make alot of tackles on PR, and I dont recall many botched snaps.

Retired_Member_001
05-19-2008, 04:24 AM

I've heard of him. He started a game for the Colts last year due to injuries. He should provide some competition which is always positive. He's not an absolutely amazing player, but he provides depth.

Good luck to him in making the roster.

cmhargrove
05-19-2008, 09:01 AM
playing in between pears and center of the week it matters not a whole hell of a lot..

False starts should never happen but holding should have been a priority over letting your QB get sacked..

I believe he played every down this past year more that we can say about the rest of the OLINE..

Pears was definitely the weak point last year, followed closely by Lepsis. The interior was ok for protection, but obviously needed a little more power in the run game. I just like all the competition this year, especially now at Tackle. We really, really needed to figure out both OT's and it looks like we will have some good choices.

Ziggy
05-19-2008, 10:06 AM
I think the only strong spots on the line last year were at the G positions with Kuper and Holland. Pears and Lepsis were pitiful, and Meyers couldn't hold up at the point of attack.

Cugel
05-19-2008, 12:14 PM
I think the only strong spots on the line last year were at the G positions with Kuper and Holland. Pears and Lepsis were pitiful, and Meyers couldn't hold up at the point of attack.

Well, you notice that Lepsis and Myers are now gone, so you could have a point! :laugh: Pears isn't going to start, he'll be lucky to keep his roster spot. Kuper will start at RT, while Clady starts at LT. Ben Hamilton and Montrae Holland can be the starting OGs and Nalen comes back to play center.

That's a decent starting lineup, except that Clady lacks experience and he's going to be facing some of the best NFL pass-rushers like Shawne Merriman. At least Jared Allen is no longer in the division!

Ziggy
05-19-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm hoping that Harris is as good as they think he is and wins the RT spot. I'd love to see Kuper get a chance to take Hamilton's job at LG. I know a lot of people in here are high on Hamilton, but I'm not one of them.

topscribe
05-19-2008, 02:13 PM
I'm hoping that Harris is as good as they think he is and wins the RT spot. I'd love to see Kuper get a chance to take Hamilton's job at LG. I know a lot of people in here are high on Hamilton, but I'm not one of them.

Hamilton served the Broncos well, but he was not a star. In fact, I considered
him the weak link on what was then a good line. It helped him a lot to be
between Nalen and Lepsis, I would think.

One thing I did not enjoy reading was that Kuper was going to compete at
tackle. I thought he did a fine job at LG, for his first year at that position and
playing between a done-for Lepsis and (as JR puts it) the center-of-the-week,
and I was looking for him to really help to solidify the interior line.

I'm not sold on the return of Hamilton. Yes, I'm glad he's there, but I hope
he will be a quality backup with Kuper returning to that spot.

But then, the coaches know more than I about it . . . I hope. :whoknows:

-----