The Denver Post
POSTED: 05/16/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Josh McDaniels has demonstrated beyond the shadow of a doubt that he can:

1) Show who is the boss.

2) Erase all signs of Mike Shanahan.

3) Pump his fist and twirl his whistle.

4) Curse on national TV.

5) Exploit the NFL marketing machine.

So what's left for McDaniels to prove he can do?

Win.

During the first year McDaniels was on the job, the Broncos might have made more headlines than any 8-8 team in the history of the league.

Now, it is time for McDaniels to get down to the business of winning the Super Bowl.

Isn't that why the Broncos hired him?

Or is selling a gazillion Tim Tebow jerseys all franchise owner Pat Bowlen really desires at this point in his life?

Listen, it's no secret I like McDaniels.

His instant recognition that quarterback Jay Cutler didn't get it was spot on (ask the Chicago Bears). The non- negotiable demand to put team before self is what every legendary coach from Vince Lombardi to John Wooden has always preached. McDaniels is the brightest young mind to come through the doors at Dove Valley since, well, Shanahan.

But there are no five- year plans allowed at the professional level. This ain't college football, brother. It's the NFL.

Anything less than winning the AFC West this year must be considered a failure by the Broncos.

With all due respect to feisty Philip Rivers, the San Diego Chargers are staler than yesterday's fish tacos.

The Oakland Raiders have no future until Al Davis is watching games from heaven.

And the Kansas City Chiefs have pinned their hopes on somebody named Matt Cassel. (Whoever thought he could be a player in this league, anyway?)

Real NFL coaches don't mess around. Check the history of the Broncos. Red Miller traveled to the Super Bowl in his first season. Shanahan went 13-3 in his second season on the job. And what happened to Wade Phillips in Year 2? Hmm, he got fired. Proves the point.

This is not to suggest McDaniels must make the playoffs or hit the bricks. But, if he doesn't win at least 10 games in 2010, it's a strong sign the Broncos hired a young coach to learn from his mistakes here rather than to win big in Denver.

McDaniels truly believes character counts, which is refreshing. But if it doesn't count on the scoreboard, even good, churchgoing Broncomaniacs will take the coach's name in vain.

In Justin Bannan, Jamal Williams and Jarvis Green, the team obviously believes it has the run-stoppers to make the switch to the 3-4 defensive alignment worthwhile.

If the Broncos start Kyle Orton at quarterback, they will be deader than a lame duck. If Denver gives the job to rookie Tebow before his time, that's 10 losses waiting to happen. So here's thinking that if McDaniels doesn't see something special in Brady Quinn, the coach might be smile-challenged all season long.

The Broncos, who report to practices this week, are McDaniels' players. The malcontents have been shipped out. It's his team now. The fingerprints of Shanahan have been scrubbed clean.

There is a trait shared, however, between McDaniels and Shanahan. Both coaches always give the vibe of being the absolute smartest football man in the room.

For those who questioned anything from his play-calling to his draft choices, Shanahan stared back with how-dare- you condescension.

For the creator of the Facebook page named "Josh McDaniels is a Power-Hungry, Ego-Tripping Circus Clown" or anybody else who doubts him, however, McD responds with an almost playful glee.

Here's a prime example. Asked for the umpteenth time how well a coach could fix the flawed throwing motion of Tebow, McDaniels did not take offense.

The coach instead offered a no-doubt-about-it grin and said: "What would you think of (Tebow) if his throwing motion was perfect?"

OK, we like the spunk.

Now go out and prove it translates into victory.

Mark Kiszla: 303-954-1053 or mkiszla@denverpost.com

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_15095130

Broncolingus
05-16-2010, 03:17 PM
I have no problem with this article...

His instant recognition that quarterback Jay Cutler didn't get it was spot on (ask the Chicago Bears).

100% correct...

With all due respect to feisty Philip Rivers, the San Diego Chargers are staler than yesterday's fish tacos.

I agree wholeheartedly...

The Oakland Raiders have no future until Al Davis is watching games from heaven.

Harsh...but totally correct.

But, if he doesn't win at least 10 games in 2010, it's a strong sign the Broncos hired a young coach to learn from his mistakes here rather than to win big in Denver.

I support McD 100%, but have no problem with that...maybe not the AFC West title outright (although that'd be sweet), but another 8-8 season isn't going to make folks happy...me included.

Nuff said...

Lonestar
05-16-2010, 03:21 PM
I have no problem with this article...

100% correct...

I agree wholeheartedly...

Harsh...but totally correct.

I support McD 100%, but have no problem with that...maybe not the AFC West title outright (although that'd be sweet), but another 8-8 season isn't going to make folks happy...me included.

Nuff said...

normally I do not think IT is worth a crap but seems to be spot on for much of this article.

Northman
05-16-2010, 03:22 PM
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
POSTED: 05/16/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Anything less than winning the AFC West this year must be considered a failure by the Broncos.

Absolutely.

Yet they keep leaving their stink on us as they have owned us the last few years. Until we beat them on a regular basis and dethrone them from AFCWEST champs there isnt much smack we can direct their way.

That could seriously change starting this year. Not too mention they beat us in our house to help remove us from playoff possibility.

And the Kansas City Chiefs have pinned their hopes on somebody named Matt Cassel. (Whoever thought he could be a player in this league, anyway?)

See above.

This is not to suggest McDaniels must make the playoffs or hit the bricks. But, if he doesn't win at least 10 games in 2010, it's a strong sign the Broncos hired a young coach to learn from his mistakes here rather than to win big in Denver.

Yet Bowlen said he wants to be back on playoff and SB contention so that tells me the leash isnt that long.

McDaniels truly believes character counts, which is refreshing. But if it doesn't count on the scoreboard, even good, churchgoing Broncomaniacs will take the coach's name in vain.

100% correct.

If the Broncos start Kyle Orton at quarterback, they will be deader than a lame duck. If Denver gives the job to rookie Tebow before his time, that's 10 losses waiting to happen. So here's thinking that if McDaniels doesn't see something special in Brady Quinn, the coach might be smile-challenged all season long.

This paragraph made no sense. Right now its safe to say that Orton should be the starter unless he is hurt.

Bingo.

Broncolingus
05-16-2010, 03:24 PM
normally I do not think IZ is worth a crap but seems to be spot on for much of this article.

You be straight up, G!!!

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/c/c3/Wigger_chinstrap.jpg

Lonestar
05-16-2010, 03:27 PM
Absolutely.

Yet they keep leaving their stink on us as they have owned us the last few years. Until we beat them on a regular basis and dethrone them from AFCWEST champs there isnt much smack we can direct their way.

That could seriously change starting this year. Not too mention they beat us in our house to help remove us from playoff possibility.

See above.

Yet Bowlen said he wants to be back on playoff and SB contention so that tells me the leash isnt that long.

100% correct.

This paragraph made no sense. Right now its safe to say that Orton should be the starter unless he is hurt.

Bingo.

Yeppo the comment about OAK and KC was right on I suspect they are ahead of us in talent across the board now just who has the best scheme and coaching is the real question.

san had the talent but had crappy coaching, now their talent pool is getting old or is off RIODS so the crappy coaching we drag them down.. But then they seems to have like 12 6'4"+ WR/TE on the team so their passing game should be pretty decent.

tomjonesrocks
05-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Worthless article, except it got me to become the 37th member of the group "Josh McDaniels is a Power-Hungry Ego-Tripping Circus Clown" on Facebook...

silkamilkamonico
05-16-2010, 06:57 PM
Sorry, but McDaniels needs to win now.

Italianmobstr7
05-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Sorry, but McDaniels needs to win now.

Did you read the article? That's what it's saying. That McD needs to win this year and anything less than 10 wins is a disappointment.

silkamilkamonico
05-16-2010, 07:38 PM
Did you read the article? That's what it's saying. That McD needs to win this year and anything less than 10 wins is a disappointment.

That's what I'm saying!!

Broncolingus
05-16-2010, 07:52 PM
That's what I'm saying!!

'That's what I'm sayin to you!'

'...touché!'

http://dvdmedia.ign.com/dvd/image/DODGEBALL_WS-0_1100125513.jpg

BroncoSojia
05-16-2010, 08:01 PM

A LOT of people are going to be disappointed then

silkamilkamonico
05-16-2010, 08:22 PM
A LOT of people are going to be disappointed then

Kind of like last year when Denver should only have won 4 games.

Tempus Fugit
05-16-2010, 10:03 PM
I'm sure that it would have to be analyzed by some computer program, and then double checked by the world's most famous writers, but that just may be the worst article ever written. The stupidity of the Shanahan comment alone should probably get the author fired and blacklisted.

Mike Shanahan was 1-3 in his second season as an NFL head coach.

Italianmobstr7
05-16-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm sure that it would have to be analyzed by some computer program, and then double checked by the world's most famous writers, but that just may be the worst article ever written. The stupidity of the Shanahan comment alone should probably get the author fired and blacklisted.

Mike Shanahan was 1-3 in his second season as an NFL head coach.

He probably should have put that sentence in different context, but he was talking about Shanahan's 2nd season as BRONCOS head coach. That's why he mentioned Red Miller and Wade Phillips as well.

Tempus Fugit
05-16-2010, 11:01 PM
He probably should have put that sentence in different context, but he was talking about Shanahan's 2nd season as BRONCOS head coach. That's why he mentioned Red Miller and Wade Phillips as well.

Yes, he deliberately twisted the facts in order to come to a silly conclusion. That's why the article was so terrible. One could look to Shanahan and just flip it around:

The Raiders were stupid enough to fire Mike Shanahan during his second season. He went on to win 2 Super Bowls as the head coach of the Denver Broncos.