PDA

View Full Version : Good Question About Tebow

WARHORSE
05-16-2010, 06:34 AM
McDaniels posted a question about Tebow to Kizla, and I thought it made for good discussion:

What would you think of Tim Tebow if his throwing motion were perfect?

My thoughts? He would have gone number one overall, and broke the rookie jersey sales record................:coffee:

broncophan
05-16-2010, 06:44 AM
I don't buy into all the throwing motion stuff.
Right now....I think of him as a very successful qb from Florida who is a proven winner......although I guess if the media etc. didn't make a big deal of his throwing motion.....he would have been a top 5 or top 10 pick.

I realize there is a big difference between college....and the nfl......but to my knowledge......none of his coaches at Florida had any concerns about his throwing motion......and things seemed to work out o.k. there.

T.K.O.
05-16-2010, 09:48 AM
Right now....I think of him as a very successful qb from Florida who is a proven winner......although I guess if the media etc. didn't make a big deal of his throwing motion.....he would have been a top 5 or top 10 pick.

I realize there is a big difference between college....and the nfl......but to my knowledge......none of his coaches at Florida had any concerns about his throwing motion......and things seemed to work out o.k. there.

i do agree tebow seems to have what it takes to be a winner,i seriously doubt nfl scouts and coaches base their draft picks on media speculation.
i suppose there may be a team or 2 who dont want the heat from fans etc... that could cause them to lean in a different direction.but i think most teams felt that tebow was a project qb with huge upside.so he was likely on many teams "wish list" but many could'nt justify a 1st rnd pick when they had other needs.we just lucked out that the trades worked the way they did and filled a big need at wr and still got mcD his shiny new toy for Christmas !:D

BroncoJoe
05-16-2010, 09:55 AM

we just lucked out that the trades worked the way they did and filled a big need at wr and still got mcD his shiny new toy for Christmas !:D

Not sure if "luck" is the right word here. JMcD had a plan and implemented it to perfection.

camdisco24
05-16-2010, 10:36 AM

I soooo agree with what you're saying. I'll call it a "flawed" throwing motion when I see it NOT working. If that motion wins games, it can be as flawed as Tebow wants it to be. We'll just have to wait and see....

broncobryce
05-16-2010, 10:47 AM
Well the belief is D-lineman can force a fumble easier if he dips the ball that low. Plus defensive backs supposedly could get a jump on the throw because he 'dips his shoulder' or something. (I'm sure you all know this already). But I think he will work hard enough to fix it enough to work in the NFL. Supposedly he already has.

BroncoJoe
05-16-2010, 11:03 AM
Well the belief is D-lineman can force a fumble easier if he dips the ball that low. Plus defensive backs supposedly could get a jump on the throw because he 'dips his shoulder' or something. (I'm sure you all know this already). But I think he will work hard enough to fix it enough to work in the NFL. Supposedly he already has.

I can't find stats anywhere on fumbles in the pocket. What I could find is he never had a fumble, but that was in regard to rushing stats, which were nearly 700 attempts, nearly 3,000 yards with ZERO fumbles.

EDIT: That was from ESPN, which IIRC doesn't list fumbles. Still checking...

broncobryce
05-16-2010, 11:13 AM
I can't find stats anywhere on fumbles in the pocket. What I could find is he never had a fumble, but that was in regard to rushing stats, which were nearly 700 attempts, nearly 3,000 yards with ZERO fumbles.

Yeah, I'm not sure if he ever did because I never watch college football, but he did fumble in the senior bowl from the pocket. I'm not that concerned about it I was just pointing out what everyone was so 'worried' about with his motion. As far as the senior bowl too, I don't put too much stock in it because on an NFL team you have a lot longer to get the ready and the coach can gameplan to your strengths. I doubt the coaches in the senior bowl made their gameplan to fit Tebow's strengths.

BroncoJoe
05-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure if he ever did because I never watch college football, but he did fumble in the senior bowl from the pocket. I'm not that concerned about it I was just pointing out what everyone was so 'worried' about with his motion. As far as the senior bowl too, I don't put too much stock in it because on an NFL team you have a lot longer to get the ready and the coach can gameplan to your strengths. I doubt the coaches in the senior bowl made their gameplan to fit Tebow's strengths.

I put ZERO stock in the senior bowl.

Lonestar
05-16-2010, 11:53 AM
Time will tell IF JAX made the right decision NOT to take a guy who could have sa ved their ffranchise from being locally blacked out most of the season.

Or if we got the steal of the draft 7 picks before the "experts" thought he should go.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

TXBRONC
05-16-2010, 01:39 PM

I think what Tim has worked on in his throwing motion was necessary. All he really did is cut some of the waisted motion which should translate to him getting rid of the ball quicker. That's a good thing.

Lonestar
05-16-2010, 02:23 PM
Not sure if "luck" is the right word here. JMcD had a plan and implemented it to perfection.

the only thing I see as an imperfection was having to give up 3 choices to BAL to move up.

Although it sounds like they had had an agreement to do so if they needed the spot .

The only thing that did not ring true was Ozzie making fun of it is the press, sounds like boasting to me.

honz
05-16-2010, 04:08 PM
He already "fixed" his throwing motion anyways. Now it's just a matter of perfecting it, working on his footwork, getting comfortable takings snaps under center, reading NFL defenses, etc...just like any other rookie QB. When you think about it, Tim Tebow is just as NFL ready as Sam Bradford is. Both come from spread systems, but Bradford had a pretty throwing motion while Tebow's needed some work.

Am I right, or am I simply talking myself into this stuff?

TXBRONC
05-16-2010, 04:18 PM
He already "fixed" his throwing motion anyways. Now it's just a matter of perfecting it, working on his footwork, getting comfortable takings snaps under center, reading NFL defenses, etc...just like any other rookie QB. When you think about it, Tim Tebow is just as NFL ready as Sam Bradford is. Both come from spread systems, but Bradford had a pretty throwing motion while Tebow's needed some work.

Am I right, or am I simply talking myself into this stuff?

I wouldn't say that Tebow is as NFL ready as Bradford not that juncture. You may be proven right by the end preseason but I think Sam has the edge in readiness right now. McDaniels has been talking Tebow and as being ready we'll see it's just talk or if it's really true.

honz
05-16-2010, 04:20 PM
I wouldn't say that Tebow is as NFL ready as Bradford not that juncture. You may be proven right by the end preseason but I think Sam has the edge in readiness right now.
How so though? Because he was the #1 pick and wasn't torn apart by the media during the draft process? Tebow was just as productive as Bradford was in college...both in shotgun heavy spread systems.

BroncoWave
05-16-2010, 04:35 PM
I agree with Honz. I will also add the fact that the SEC has MUCH better defenses than the big 12. Look at the offensive stats in the big 12. Everyone lights everyone up. I think given the fact that Tebow faced such tough defenses, you could argue that that's better prepared him for the NFL than Bradford.

honz
05-16-2010, 04:49 PM
To make it clear though, I don't expect Tebow to start this year or play at a high level. I think both Tebow and Bradford would struggle if thrown into the fire.

Lonestar
05-16-2010, 05:09 PM
To make it clear though, I don't expect Tebow to start this year or play at a high level. I think both Tebow and Bradford would struggle if thrown into the fire.

I would be surprised to see Tebow in the games except for some 3rd and shorts or when we may play the wild horse formation.

then he may see snaps. as for bradford Sorry I did not see enough from him to prove he was worth a #1 pick and even less that he should be playing right away.

TXBRONC
05-16-2010, 05:18 PM
How so though? Because he was the #1 pick and wasn't torn apart by the media during the draft process? Tebow was just as productive as Bradford was in college...both in shotgun heavy spread systems.

The criticism that Tebow went through has nothing to do with why I think Bradford is more ready. I say that because the things Tebow has had to work could still be a work in progress. Bradford mechanics and foot work are already good. Bradford I do know worked some under center I don't know if Tebow ever did go under center in Meyer's version of the spread.

I've stated many times over that I like TFT and that I am hoping he will be great quarterback but only time will tell. Me thinking that Bradford is more NFL ready is not slap at TFT. All it means is that I think Bradford is a little further along.

WARHORSE
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
Clausen is the most ready if youre looking at what they did in college.

But in reality, each person is different and they will each have opportunity to flaunt their skills.

Tebow has the convenience of no pressure though, and a situation where he has to beat someone out.

Thats a different mindset then Bradfords who is expected to walk under center and perform right away.

Bradford has pressure. Tebow has learning to do.

Big difference.

Tebow is fourth on the depth chart........to me that means hes going to be trying to outplay everyone else.

honz
05-17-2010, 04:18 PM
Tebow may not have the pressure to play well right away, but he may be under the biggest microscope out of all this years' QB's when he does hit the field. I hear what you are saying though, Mr. Horse.

BroncoWave
05-17-2010, 04:26 PM
Tebow may not have the pressure to play well right away, but he may be under the biggest microscope out of all this years' QB's when he does hit the field. I hear what you are saying though, Mr. Horse.

I honestly don't think Tebow cares about that microscope though. From his quotes and what I've read about him, the only input he cares about is that of his coaches, and he could give less than a shit what the media says. They may be heaping the most pressure on him, but I don't think he really cares.

arapaho2
05-17-2010, 05:09 PM

if that plan was to trade up to 22, from 24 and take a wr that would have been there at 24....or to trade the equivelent of the 21st pick to take a player at 25...then yes his plan worked out:rolleyes: