PDA

View Full Version : Pick Your Offensive Skills Rookies .....

omac
05-16-2008, 06:48 AM
For 2008, which of the rookies will have the biggest impact or contribution to their teams, one per skill position, and the offensive rookie of the year. Also, pick out the offensive undrafted skills rookie breakout. Here's mine ...

QB: Joe Flacco (Baltimore)
RB: Jonathan Stewart (Carolina)
WR: Limas Sweed (Pittsburgh)
TE: John Carlson (Seattle)
FB: Owen Schmitt (Seattle)

Offensive ROY: Jonathan Stewart

Best Offensive Undrafted Rookie: Davone Bess (WR, Miami)

For QB, I chose Flacco, because he's entering a usually solid defensive team; that will take a lot of the pressure off of him, and he only has to beat Boller.
Stewart could be the back they've been waiting for DeAngelo to be, and they have to get back their running game, so he'll have tons of opportunities. Sweed is the big receiver Roethlisburger's been calling for, so he could be a great target. Seattle is THE prototypical WCO, yet they haven't had great production from their current TEs, so Carlson could have entered just the right team. Schmitt will can be a valued run blocker for Seattle, who's struggled running the ball last season; he could excel in short yardage situations.

I chose Bess for best undrafted skills rookie, because Miami has no real #1 WR; Wilford's always had #2 type production in Jacksonville, and Ted Ginn hasn't shown that he's a #1 either. I think Bess has the talent to beat out either starter, or at worst be the number 3.

omac
05-16-2008, 06:49 AM
BTW, I posted this here, since I'm sure a few will say Hillis will be the best FB of this class. :D

underrated29
05-16-2008, 09:06 AM
we are close on some things.

qb- flacco
rb- stewart
wr- didnt sea take a wr? If not i like royal actually-homerism aside. Sweed would be my choice if I didnt think royal would see more balls.
te- ????
fb???

silkamilkamonico
05-16-2008, 11:19 AM
FB is more of an obsolete position in the NFL than an offensive skill position.....

cmhargrove
05-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Flacco might start by the end of the season, but I don't see how he beats out Boller to start the season. I could be wrong, but it just seems like a long shot. As usual, Boller should struggle, then Flacco would be the most popular guy in Baltimore until the coaches finally cave and put him in.

Ryan would be the odds-on favorite for best rookie QB because he should be handed the job right away.

I think Henne might be in the best position because of how bad Miami was last year. I think he will actually make a good pro, and he will be given every chance to beat out Beck. I always thought McCown was ok, but for some reason, no nfl team wants to start him.

Stewart should be plugged right in, and I agree with the RB pick.

Sweed could have a good season, but he will still be a #2 behind Hines Ward. He could emerge as a great receiver, but probably won't out up huge numbers for the first half of the season.

I look to the Redskins where they took two top receivers that both have the chance to be their #1 guy. Between Devin Thomas & Malcolm Kelley, one of those guys should emerge as their go to #1 by mid season. That's why I would pick one of those two at WR.

For TE, I would put the money on Dustin Keller for the Jets. They traded back into the first round for him, so they must want him pretty bad. He isn't a great blocker yet, but is a great pass catching TE. He should be the day 1 starter, and have the best chance to succeed.

Unless you measure blocks as success, it's hard to rank a FB. I love Schmidt, and the Seahawks sure love FB's. He will be given a real shot to succeed. I wish him well, but I hope our coaches figure out how to use Hillis even more creatively. As someone else mentioned, I don't quite consider a FB a "skill" position, but it can be done.

underrated29
05-16-2008, 12:44 PM
DEVIN THOMAS is my boy. I have been pimping him before the combine when he was projected a 2nd 3rd rdr.

Only reason why i didnt take him is last year i hAD cooley on my ff team and he or portis were the only ones scoring tds. None of the wr did

omac
05-16-2008, 08:48 PM
DEVIN THOMAS is my boy. I have been pimping him before the combine when he was projected a 2nd 3rd rdr.

Only reason why i didnt take him is last year i hAD cooley on my ff team and he or portis were the only ones scoring tds. None of the wr did

Yeah, if I remember correctly, the TDs were very sparse for their receivers. They actually became a better passing team when the backup QB took over. That's also the reason I've been hesitant about picking Devin Thomas as the best rookie wideout.

Yeah, we are pretty much the same with our picks. :cheers:

omac
05-16-2008, 08:52 PM
FB is more of an obsolete position in the NFL than an offensive skill position.....

Depends on how the FB is used, I guess. Brian Leonard is St. Louis' FB, but when Jackson went down, he filled in nicely as their go to back, both rushing and receiving. With Hillis' skill sets, he's very similar to a tough, pass catching TE.

omac
05-16-2008, 09:04 PM
Flacco might start by the end of the season, but I don't see how he beats out Boller to start the season. I could be wrong, but it just seems like a long shot. As usual, Boller should struggle, then Flacco would be the most popular guy in Baltimore until the coaches finally cave and put him in.

Ryan would be the odds-on favorite for best rookie QB because he should be handed the job right away.

I think Henne might be in the best position because of how bad Miami was last year. I think he will actually make a good pro, and he will be given every chance to beat out Beck. I always thought McCown was ok, but for some reason, no nfl team wants to start him.

Stewart should be plugged right in, and I agree with the RB pick.

Sweed could have a good season, but he will still be a #2 behind Hines Ward. He could emerge as a great receiver, but probably won't out up huge numbers for the first half of the season.

I look to the Redskins where they took two top receivers that both have the chance to be their #1 guy. Between Devin Thomas & Malcolm Kelley, one of those guys should emerge as their go to #1 by mid season. That's why I would pick one of those two at WR.

For TE, I would put the money on Dustin Keller for the Jets. They traded back into the first round for him, so they must want him pretty bad. He isn't a great blocker yet, but is a great pass catching TE. He should be the day 1 starter, and have the best chance to succeed.

Unless you measure blocks as success, it's hard to rank a FB. I love Schmidt, and the Seahawks sure love FB's. He will be given a real shot to succeed. I wish him well, but I hope our coaches figure out how to use Hillis even more creatively. As someone else mentioned, I don't quite consider a FB a "skill" position, but it can be done.

Nice points. :cheers:

I do agree that Matt Ryan will start immediately, but because of the problems in the team, there's a danger of him becoming a David Carr ... the QB with all the skills and toughness who gets shellshocked because of constant sacks. I hope he has a strong mind, because he'll need it.

The Redskins were poor at passing to their WRs (at least for TDs) last season, that's why I was hesitant about them. But you're right, either rookie could definitely beat out one of their starters.

On Keller, I think they're going with QB Clemens this season, and I don't think he's that good, so I don't think Keller will have many opportunities to shine with that QB. I think Pennington is the better QB, but his lack of arm strength make them very predictable, so no way he starts anymore.

We agree on Stewart on Schmidt. I think Hillis will be a very effective, multi-dimensional FB, just like Faulk who does a lot of things for NE.

How about in the undrafted skill rookies?

silkamilkamonico
05-17-2008, 12:30 AM
Depends on how the FB is used, I guess. Brian Leonard is St. Louis' FB, but when Jackson went down, he filled in nicely as their go to back, both rushing and receiving. With Hillis' skill sets, he's very similar to a tough, pass catching TE.

St. Louis uses single back sets with 3-4 WR's the majority of the time. Leonard was drafted as a backup RB in the single back set because of his multi purpose skills. He's ideal in a system like that because of his ability to pick up the blitz.

BOSSHOGG30
05-17-2008, 06:05 AM
QB: Matt Ryan, Atlanta
RB: Jonathan Stewart, Carolina
WR: James Hardy, Buffalo
TE: Dustin Keller, N.Y. Jets
FB: Peyton Hillis, Denver

Offensive ROY: Jonathan Stewart, Carolina

Best Offensive Undrafted Rookie: BenJarvus Green-Ellis, New England

omac
05-17-2008, 06:45 AM
QB: Matt Ryan, Atlanta
RB: Jonathan Stewart, Carolina
WR: James Hardy, Buffalo
TE: Dustin Keller, N.Y. Jets
FB: Peyton Hillis, Denver

Offensive ROY: Jonathan Stewart, Carolina

Best Offensive Undrafted Rookie: BenJarvus Green-Ellis, New England

I like the James Hardy pick; he could be a big, leaping target for Trent Edwards in the endzone.

Superchop 7
05-18-2008, 02:38 AM
I'll stick with Alridge.

broncohead
05-18-2008, 07:31 PM
QB Brian Brohm- Packers: It will all depend on how healthy Aaron Rogers can stay. If Brohm gets in there I think that he'll be productive with a solid group around him.

RB J. Stewart- Panthers: Out of the RBs taken he's probably the only one who will be the day 1 starter. He'll have the best rookie season.

WR Limas Sweed- Steelers: They wanted a big target now they have one. I think that he'll get more looks then anyother WR.

cmhargrove
05-18-2008, 07:58 PM
On Keller, I think they're going with QB Clemens this season, and I don't think he's that good, so I don't think Keller will have many opportunities to shine with that QB. I think Pennington is the better QB, but his lack of arm strength make them very predictable, so no way he starts anymore.

How about in the undrafted skill rookies?

I think that a good pass caching TE is the best tool for a struggling QB, or passing game in general. When the QB learns correctly, he looks to dump it when all else fails. The TE is often the go to "dumpee." I think Keller will blossom for the exact reasons you have mentioned (questionable QB play).

The best undrafted rookie will probably come out of nowhere, and won't make a big impact this season. I look for guys like that 2-3 years down the road when they emerge.

Any guess for me would be throwing a dart.

Inkana7
05-18-2008, 09:13 PM
J. Stewart won't have 800 yards. Book it.

omac
05-18-2008, 09:42 PM

I agree ... he'll have a thousand. :D

broncohead
05-19-2008, 01:15 AM

Just wondering why you don't think that he'll have over 800?