PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of quarterback (tebow article)

titan
05-14-2010, 06:28 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10121

A Different Kind of Quarterback

By Gray Caldwell
DenverBroncos.com

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- Tim Tebow is different.

Different from Sam Bradford. Different from Jimmy Clausen. Different from Colt McCoy. Different from Philip Rivers, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady.

Different in the sense that in addition to his 9,285 passing yards for 88 touchdowns and just 18 interceptions at the University of Florida, he gained 2,947 yards on the ground with an SEC-record 57 rushing touchdowns. Different because he rushed for a touchdown on a designed quarterback scramble on his first play as a Gator and operated mostly out of the shotgun for the rest of his collegiate career. Different because he was the first player in NCAA history to win the Heisman Trophy as a sophomore. Different because he's a two-time BCS National Champion.

But the truth is every quarterback has traits that make him just as different from all the others.

"Rivers doesn't do it the way that Brees does," Head Coach Josh McDaniels said. "Manning doesn't do it the way that Brady does. Donovan McNabb doesn't do it the way that any of those guys do it. Ben Roethlisberger is different than those five. To me, there's not a carbon copy that's being sold around the NFL."

Rather, there is a set of traits that coaches hope every quarterback possesses.

"You want a guy that is tough and smart, a great leader, has those football intangibles that you're looking for and will work hard to fix some things that maybe he doesn't do perfectly," McDaniels said.

After watching Tebow's tape and meeting with him at the NFL Scouting Combine, in Denver and in Gainesville, Fla., the Broncos were convinced that he fits that description, trading up to pick him with the 25th overall selection in the 2010 NFL Draft.

Tebow is the player who rushed for a 20-yard touchdown on a broken leg at Nease High School.

He is the quarterback who famously apologized to Florida fans after a loss to Ole Miss, promising that "you will never see any player in the entire country play as hard as I will play the rest of the season, and you'll never see someone push the rest of the team as hard as I will push everybody the rest of the season, and you'll never see a team play harder than we will the rest of the season."

The Gators closed the season with a National Championship.

He is the prospect who heard the critiques about his throwing motion, so he worked on it to the tune of more than 900 passes a day to ensure he will be ready for the NFL when his number is called. He said his new technique "became muscle memory a long time ago."

And he is the rookie who vows to do everything he can to prove his doubters wrong, and reward McDaniels and the Broncos for taking a chance on him.

"Just like it was when I was at Florida, my biggest thrill was doing things for Coach (Urban) Meyer, winning championships and being able to help him," Tebow said. "That's going to be my greatest joy in Denver -- to repay Coach McDaniels for believing in me."

Tebow readily admits that he has plenty to work on in order to make that happen. In his first minicamp with the team, he worked to improve on his footwork, drops, cadences, identifying middle linebackers and going through his progressions while in the pocket.

"That is my goal -- I want to be a great pocket passer," the rookie said. "That's something I'm working on. Then if it breaks down and you have an opportunity to do something, you add on with God-given ability."

McDaniels has stated that he expects him to operate out of the pocket just like every other signal caller on the squad. But that doesn't mean the team will limit what made Tebow so successful in college -- if he earns the right to get on the field.

"We are going to try to use the talents and abilities of the players we have to make sure that they are always doing something that they can be successful with," McDaniels said. "If he can do something out of the pocket and he deserves to be on the field -- that's the biggest thing -- then maybe that would warrant us doing some other things."

"I won't deny that he gives you an opportunity to create some un-gameplanned production," he continued. "You draw the play up there on the board and all of a sudden it doesn't necessarily look as pretty as I thought it would, but then he makes it work some other way. There is an element to his game like that."

Some of that un-gameplanned production with the Gators is what helped Tebow generate an SEC-record 12,232 yards of total offense in his career. He averaged 7.25 yards every time he touched the ball, which ranks third in conference history. His 145 total touchdowns broke the previous SEC record by 23 scores. He threw at least one touchdown pass in 38 of his 41 starts, completed 66.43 percent of his passes and racked up a 170.79 pass efficiency rating -- an SEC all-time record.

Coaches have already seen that the rookie's work ethic is exactly as advertised.

"Curfew is like a bad word for him, and it's not because he wants to be in a tavern somewhere," McDaniels said. "We've got a long way to go, but we think that if you put a guy with great work ethic together with some people that -- hopefully we know what we're talking about -- maybe we can make something pretty productive out of it."

The changes Tebow will have to make to succeed at the next level don't faze former Bronco and current NFL on FOX color commentator John Lynch.

"Will he have some issues translating his skills from college to the NFL?" Lynch asked at his annual Salute the Stars Awards luncheon. "Yeah, but so will (No. 1 overall pick) Sam Braford. I just think there's a positive feeling to what's going on around here."

Now the quarterback who closed out his college career by setting Bowl Championship Series records with 482 yards passing and 533 yards of total offense in a 51-24 victory against Cincinnati in the Allstate Sugar Bowl is looking to keep that momentum rolling into his professional career.

Still, Tebow recognizes that all the accomplishments in the world don't make him a sure thing in NFL. He joins a team that has an established starter in Kyle Orton, a former first-round pick in Brady Quinn and a 2009 draft pick in Tom Brandstater already in the quarterbacks room, two of which have a year in McDaniels' system under their belts.

He knows he is going to have to work hard to even be able to compete with those players and earn the respect of the locker room. And he can't wait to get started.

"Now it's just time to push into another gear and just go and grind and not show my face until maybe after my rookie year, to be honest with you," Tebow said. "I'm just excited about that. I'm excited about working, learning and competing, because that's what I'm all about. That's who I am."

One person who believes the rookie can make the jump is John Elway.

"He wants to get better, he wants to learn, he wants to change his release to make him better," Elway told a group of reporters. "I think that any time you have a guy that's that open to learning, and then you've got a guy like Josh, who's a young guy who has coached Tom Brady and Matt Cassel and done a great job with them, I think it's a great relationship. He'll continue to learn. I think Tim is too much of a competitor not to get a shot in this league.

"It will be interesting to see how good he can be."

EMB6903
05-14-2010, 06:35 PM
Another article that makes me believe Tebow will start ASAP from reading what Mcdaniels has to say about him.

Northman
05-14-2010, 06:35 PM
http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/rap_sheet/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/superbowl-trophy.jpg

WARHORSE
05-14-2010, 07:10 PM
Bruce Lee developed the art of "Fighting....without fighting"

Tim Tebow developed the art of "Kickin A**......without Kickin A**"

The first rule of Tim Tebow is you suck and he doesnt.:salute:

Tim Tebow can sell so many rookie jerseys people die from it.

TXBRONC
05-14-2010, 08:15 PM
I am very much looking forward to seeing him on the field. I really do hope this kid can flourish.

Softskull
05-14-2010, 08:41 PM
Another article that makes me believe Tebow will start ASAP from reading what Mcdaniels has to say about him.

I hate to rain on the parade, but Tebow played on a great college team. Nine players of the 22 starters were selected in this years draft. He was playing with a stacked deck last year, not to mention Percy Harvin in 2009. It's far to early to get overly excited. He may get his chance against Ray Lewis this year, but dont count on it.

broncobryce
05-14-2010, 09:51 PM
He definitely says the right things. Keep doubting him, this guy is driven. Nobody knows what will happen, but you can't help but get excited when you read this stuff. As far as the rain on the parade, I've got my Tebow umbrella!.......... Ok, that was corny.

TXBRONC
05-14-2010, 10:06 PM
I hate to rain on the parade, but Tebow played on a great college team. Nine players of the 22 starters were selected in this years draft. He was playing with a stacked deck last year, not to mention Percy Harvin in 2009. It's far to early to get overly excited. He may get his chance against Ray Lewis this year, but dont count on it.

That certainly is something to keep in mind. TFT did play on a team that was loaded with some of the best talent in country for four straight years but at the same time he was going up against some of the best talent in college football on a weekly basis. Neither of those things will make or break his pro career but does show he knows how to play with against elite competition.

There is no guarantee that Tim will make it but I'm sure hoping that with good coaching and hard work that he will be very successful for the Broncos in nearby future.

EMB6903
05-14-2010, 10:15 PM

Where in my post did you think I was getting "excited" or that I was ever in favor of Tebow starting at all this year?

Also thanks for mentioning that he played on one of the elite college programs in the nation.. Much appreciated. But Percy was playing with the Vikings in 2009.

WARHORSE
05-15-2010, 04:45 AM

He also played against great college teams.

No rain on the parade.

Nothin but Tebowshine around here..........:cool:

gator_fan
05-15-2010, 08:12 AM
It's far to early to get overly excited. He may get his chance against Ray Lewis this year, but dont count on it.

I must be out of my mind then, because I am extremely excited about Tebow and the rest of the Broncos team. That's why I'm here on this board. He is admired and liked by all of his peers (except for the few that can't get over their dislike of the attention he garners), and the way he behaves both on and off the field, and the work ethic he displays, sets the standard for many. He may get his chance? I expect good things from Tebow, and I don't expect to wait long to see it. I also expect to see the entire team get excited about their prospects. We have some really great players, and their is some reckoning to be done in the NFL this year.

Softskull
05-15-2010, 09:08 AM
Where in my post did you think I was getting "excited" or that I was ever in favor of Tebow starting at all this year?

Also thanks for mentioning that he played on one of the elite college programs in the nation.. Much appreciated. But Percy was playing with the Vikings in 2009.

Where in my post did I say you were in favor of Tebow starting?;) j/k
Nice catch, I meant to say Percy was drafted in 2009.

Of course Florida is an elite college, that wasnt the point. Ohio State and Michigan are elite colleges and they only had 7 players picked combined. Nearly half of the starters from Florida went to the NFL this year. And yes they played against other top teams, but of the 12 SEC schools, 49 players went to the NFL this year. Florida was stacked even by SEC standards.

Tebow may be everything McDaniels dreams he is, but it's easier to look like a winner when you have all that talent around you.

T.K.O.
05-15-2010, 10:08 AM
Where in my post did I say you were in favor of Tebow starting?;) j/k
Nice catch, I meant to say Percy was drafted in 2009.

Of course Florida is an elite college, that wasnt the point. Ohio State and Michigan are elite colleges and they only had 7 players picked combined. Nearly half of the starters from Florida went to the NFL this year. And yes they played against other top teams, but of the 12 SEC schools, 49 players went to the NFL this year. Florida was stacked even by SEC standards.

Tebow may be everything McDaniels dreams he is, but it's easier to look like a winner when you have all that talent around you.

or maybe tebow made all those guys look better than they are ! "swish" he shoots .....he scores !:laugh:
i think it's ok to be a little excited......tebow is the best prospect we've seen around these parts in a while.
everytime i read an article like this i realize that with all his success at the college level ( individual records and as a team) it's amazing we only gave up the 25th pick. (and even that was through some nifty manuevering)
i dont see how this guy turns out bad....even if he is used as a situational player for some time

Softskull
05-15-2010, 02:48 PM
or maybe tebow made all those guys look better than they are ! "swish" he shoots .....he scores !:laugh:

I would agree if all the guys picked from Florida did poorly after college, but Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy had great rookie years without Tebow. :elefant:

T.K.O.
05-15-2010, 04:20 PM
I would agree if all the guys picked from Florida did poorly after college, but Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy had great rookie years without Tebow. :elefant:

and tebow could prove to be the best player on the team.....so basically we wont know for some time .
but we do know that tebow is a proven winner and set multiple records at the college level.

Northman
05-15-2010, 04:27 PM
and tebow could prove to be the best player on the team.....so basically we wont know for some time .
but we do know that tebow is a proven winner and set multiple records at the college level.

Which doesnt always translate to the NFL level. At this point College means nothing to the Denver Broncos unless he can achieve that same success at the pro level. Just have to wait and see.

Lonestar
05-15-2010, 04:38 PM
Looking forward to the season to start though I really doubt that Tebow will play much it should be an intresting year.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

T.K.O.
05-15-2010, 04:40 PM
interesting indeed.....i'm just happy we have 2 potential starters for backups.
we are in alot better shape qb wise than this time last year

Softskull
05-15-2010, 05:07 PM

Unless Tebow wins the Rookie of the year, makes the Probowl, and becomes an All Pro this year, I think Harvin has him beat.

And say hello to Danny Wuerffel's Heisman and National Championship. The NFL failure club is littered with proven college winners. And I'm not saying Tebow is going to fail, I just saying wait before you buy your tickets to Canton.

Softskull
05-15-2010, 05:08 PM
we are in alot better shape qb wise than this time last year

That's not setting the bar very high.:beer:

Northman
05-15-2010, 05:11 PM
Unless Tebow wins the Rookie of the year, makes the Probowl, and becomes an All Pro this year, I think Harvin has him beat.

And say hello to Danny Wuerffel's Heisman and National Championship. The NFL failure club is littered with proven college winners. And I'm not saying Tebow is going to fail, I just saying wait before you buy your tickets to Canton.

Thats one reason why im VERY skeptical. I was a huge Wuerffel fan and thought he would do well in the pro's. My god did he prove me wrong. :lol:

Northman
05-15-2010, 05:11 PM
That's not setting the bar very high.:beer:

Its not, but its certainly a start.

Softskull
05-15-2010, 05:27 PM
Its not, but its certainly a start.

I certainly agree. I was happy when we picked up Quinn. Tebow just makes it more interesting.

gobroncsnv
05-15-2010, 05:34 PM

Some would say Brady and Manning only look like winners because of all the talent they have around them. I'm not among them.

So are you saying Urban Meyer was a great talent evaluator about EVERY other position on the Florida teams that won national championships, but the guy had the wrong QB at the helm with all that talent??? Cue the understatement music, cause, i guess we disagree.

GGMoogly
05-15-2010, 06:13 PM
FTA "That is my goal -- I want to be a great pocket passer"

What goals in life HASN'T he met yet? :first:

T.K.O.
05-15-2010, 06:32 PM
FTA "That is my goal -- I want to be a great pocket passer"

What goals in life HASN'T he met yet? :first:

apparently getting laid......:laugh:

Softskull
05-15-2010, 08:06 PM
So are you saying Urban Meyer was a great talent evaluator about EVERY other position on the Florida teams that won national championships, but the guy had the wrong QB at the helm with all that talent??? Cue the understatement music, cause, i guess we disagree.

I didnt say anything of the sort. I've never taken anything from Tebow. He's a great college player, maybe the best college player from the last 20 years. But his team had more players drafted to the NFL last year than any other college. That's not being surrounded by talent. Florida was men amonst boys last year. Very few team could match them talent wise (Alabama and Oklahoma, maybe).

Now, Brady had his record setting year with two great recievers and a top five defense. The same with Manning in 2004, his best year. His talent of offense was unreal. If youre saying surrounding talent doesnt make any difference, your wrong.

T.K.O.
05-15-2010, 08:28 PM

thats the problem with today's fans they are'nt willing to wait for results.
there is no way tebow needs to do all that in his 1st year to eventually become the best nfl player from his college teams.
there are hundreds of players who eventually proved to have remarkable careers that certainly did'nt attain all those accolades in their 1st season.
that statement is no different than me saying harvin got lucky and will only be in the league 3 years....it's waaaaaaaaay too soon to tell about harvin,moreno,royal,crabtree or any other 1st or 2nd year player.

Softskull
05-15-2010, 08:49 PM
thats the problem with today's fans they are'nt willing to wait for results.
there is no way tebow needs to do all that in his 1st year to eventually become the best nfl player from his college teams.
there are hundreds of players who eventually proved to have remarkable careers that certainly did'nt attain all those accolades in their 1st season.
that statement is no different than me saying harvin got lucky and will only be in the league 3 years....it's waaaaaaaaay too soon to tell about harvin,moreno,royal,crabtree or any other 1st or 2nd year player.

Really, I dont care what the results are, as long as they're entertaining. Harvin may get shot tomorrow, but you have to admit, he's had an incredible start..and did it without Tebow throwing to him.

My point wasnt really about Tebow, again it was about the talent around him. Your "Swoosh" statement was that Tebow carried everyone on their way to NFL careers. Harvin and Murphy seem to show that those around Tebow are doing just fine without him.

gobroncsnv
05-15-2010, 10:50 PM
No, I think what everyone is saying is that there is no doubt at all that Tebow was surrounded by great talent... BUT HE BELONGED THERE WITH THEM... He was not a detriment to the team, he enhanced their success. With his passer completion ratios, and all that jazz, and when he took the snap and ran, it's not like people were saying this clown doesn't belong with this "men amongst boys" team... He fit in with a very talented group, 2 nat'l championships, there are VERY few that get to say that.

I have no idea about how his career will look, but I'm not among those who are doubters right now. I'll give him every benefit of the doubt until HE doesn't pan out. My, nor anybody else's opinion will not have any kind of impact on how successful he will be. He will again need to be surrounded by a quality team, just like ANY QB who has had success in this league. I'm willing to let it go at that.

Lonestar
05-15-2010, 11:00 PM
No, I think what everyone is saying is that there is no doubt at all that Tebow was surrounded by great talent... BUT HE BELONGED THERE WITH THEM... He was not a detriment to the team, he enhanced their success. With his passer completion ratios, and all that jazz, and when he took the snap and ran, it's not like people were saying this clown doesn't belong with this "men amongst boys" team... He fit in with a very talented group, 2 nat'l championships, there are VERY few that get to say that.

I have no idea about how his career will look, but I'm not among those who are doubters right now. I'll give him every benefit of the doubt until HE doesn't pan out. My, nor anybody else's opinion will not have any kind of impact on how successful he will be. He will again need to be surrounded by a quality team, just like ANY QB who has had success in this league. I'm willing to let it go at that.

Best post of the thread.