PDA

View Full Version : Nepotism at it's finest: Another Goodman to the Scouting Arena.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Not that I have a problem with it. . . but seriously -- who is next, the family dog? (http://myespn.go.com/blogs/hashmarks/0-7-223/A-third-Goodman-in-Denver.html)

Cleveland Rocks
05-15-2008, 11:53 PM
You know, I heard that Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru were looking for some work. They swear that moisture farming will be the death of them.

05-16-2008, 12:05 AM
Well he has a network all built in from his Dad.

Still......

dogfish
05-16-2008, 12:53 AM
You know, I heard that Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru were looking for some work. They swear that moisture farming will be the death of them.

nice. . . .

Cleveland Rocks
05-16-2008, 12:56 AM
nice. . . .

Oh, come on Dog.

That was supposed to be funny.

At least give a little chuckle.

dogfish
05-16-2008, 01:01 AM
this was just posted on PFT:

A FEW GOOD MANS?
Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2008, 10:58 p.m.

The experiment in nepotism that has unfolded in the Denver Broncos’ front office will soon take on a new dynamic.

Following the termination of G.M. Ted Sundquist, Jim Goodman became the team’s V.P. of football operations/player personnel. His son, Jeff, is now an assistant General Manager. (The Broncos curiously have two Assistant General Managers, but no General Manager. It’s like having an assistant to the traveling secretary, without a traveling secretary.)

A third Goodman will be added to the mix on Friday, we’re told. Jim Goodman’s other son, Tyler, will be hired as a college scout, and assigned to the talent-rich Southeast Region, which is generally regarded as the plum assignment for any college scouting staff.

Tyler Goodman has, as far as we can tell, no prior NFL experience. And thus the appearance that Tyler Goodman is getting the job not because of what he knows or what he can do but who he’s related to is a bit troubling, especially when there are plenty of capable scouts out there who lose their jobs every year and have to scratch and claw to get a new one.

we know how florio feels about the broncos, so i always take anything he has to say about the team with a grain of salt. . . but, i did think it was worth posting, because the last paragraph kinda caught my attention. . . the original article from burger bill says that "Tyler Goodman worked on Chan Gailey's staff at Georgia Tech last season. This is a juicy gig for a young man. If Goodman succeeds in this role, he could be well on his way.". . .

sooo. . . this guy has a grand total of one year's experience at the college level-- in an undefined capacity? i undrestand that everyone has to start somewhere, and i'm certainly not against a young person getting a shot. . . BUT. . . i do have to wonder whether he really got the job because he was the most qualified candidate we could find. . . does he have ANY real scouting experience?? if not, maybe he should cut his teeth scouting western missouri valley state, instead of the football factories of the SEC-- it's kinda important to get those right. . .

dogfish
05-16-2008, 01:02 AM
Oh, come on Dog.

That was supposed to be funny.

At least give a little chuckle.

i did laugh-- guess i shoulda used one of these guys ---> :lol:

BCJ
05-16-2008, 03:28 AM
Just got a letter from his other son, Tony. Seems they are taking over my season tickets so they can set up some video cameras in the south and north stands. Seems Goodell has no problem with this method of "screening" and Tony is the new Video Coordinator. His experience is still growing as he is wrapping up his senior year's high school video yearbook. But, I am told he has much experience taping the JV football team's practices.

Ziggy
05-16-2008, 08:01 AM
If Denver keeps drafting the way they have the past few years, they can put the family dog, cat, and hamster on the payroll for all I care. They've changed thier philosiphy in both the draft and free agency, and I like what I'm seeing. Hire them all.

haroldthebarrel
05-16-2008, 08:41 AM
There's no doubt that nepotism exists at its finest in the NFL. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.
As Ziggy said, as long as our drafts are getting better there isnt a real issue. At least our drafts the last three years have made sense at draft day, and not when you read about it later and start to like these picks as you want them to succeed.

JoeF
05-16-2008, 09:09 AM
Wonder if there are any more Bailey's to join Champ & Boss?
Bring em on!

cmhargrove
05-16-2008, 09:13 AM
If Denver keeps drafting the way they have the past few years, they can put the family dog, cat, and hamster on the payroll for all I care. They've changed thier philosiphy in both the draft and free agency, and I like what I'm seeing. Hire them all.

Amen. But let's stay away from the hamster...

Brand
05-16-2008, 10:03 AM
Conspiracy? Nepotism? Shenanigans? Jealousy?

The SEC is Dad Goodman's main interest and area of expertise. Having his kid as a gofer is not a bad idea for info gathering and travel preps, and so on. Who knows? He might even be able to make sure the beer is cold, the rooms are available, tickets bought, coaches available, and so on......

I don't think "WE" had anything to do with the entire process. The BRONCOS' FO can hire whomever the heck they wish. I am interested in the scouting outcome, and the drafts have been pretty darn good the past four years, and I ain't complaining.

I reject the nepotism crap. Whose business is it anyway?

Lonestar
05-16-2008, 12:01 PM
this was just posted on PFT:

A FEW GOOD MANS?
Posted by Mike Florio on May 15, 2008, 10:58 p.m.

The experiment in nepotism that has unfolded in the Denver Broncos’ front office will soon take on a new dynamic.

Following the termination of G.M. Ted Sundquist, Jim Goodman became the team’s V.P. of football operations/player personnel. His son, Jeff, is now an assistant General Manager. (The Broncos curiously have two Assistant General Managers, but no General Manager. It’s like having an assistant to the traveling secretary, without a traveling secretary.)

A third Goodman will be added to the mix on Friday, we’re told. Jim Goodman’s other son, Tyler, will be hired as a college scout, and assigned to the talent-rich Southeast Region, which is generally regarded as the plum assignment for any college scouting staff.

Tyler Goodman has, as far as we can tell, no prior NFL experience. And thus the appearance that Tyler Goodman is getting the job not because of what he knows or what he can do but who he’s related to is a bit troubling, especially when there are plenty of capable scouts out there who lose their jobs every year and have to scratch and claw to get a new one.

we know how florio feels about the broncos, so i always take anything he has to say about the team with a grain of salt. . . but, i did think it was worth posting, because the last paragraph kinda caught my attention. . . the original article from burger bill says that "Tyler Goodman worked on Chan Gailey's staff at Georgia Tech last season. This is a juicy gig for a young man. If Goodman succeeds in this role, he could be well on his way.". . .

sooo. . . this guy has a grand total of one year's experience at the college level-- in an undefined capacity? i undrestand that everyone has to start somewhere, and i'm certainly not against a young person getting a shot. . . BUT. . . i do have to wonder whether he really got the job because he was the most qualified candidate we could find. . . does he have ANY real scouting experience?? if not, maybe he should cut his teeth scouting western missouri valley state, instead of the football factories of the SEC-- it's kinda important to get those right. . .

Perhaps DEN can't hire qualified folks, perhaps the real NFL world has seen enough of the regime in DEN and does not want to be associated with it..

Much like in YEARS past if a FA came to DEN if we wanted them they were never allowed to leave to go to the next stop. That has not been the case over the past coupe of years a few folks came and went and in one or two cases signed for less than reportedly they were offered here..

Is DEN a place that people really want to come to anymore?

Nepo city!

IMO Something is not right in Dove Valley..

G_Money
05-16-2008, 12:24 PM
It took you 12 whole hours to get here Jr. I'm disappointed. ;)

I'm with Brand for the moment though - I don't care about hiring family, as long as they are qualified.

Peyton and Eli Manning didn't win get "hired" because they were Archie's kid, they got hired because they were damn good. They both then went on to win Super Bowls.

If Goodmans were behind the '06 draft, and if the '08 draft without Sundquist turns out to be awesome (WAY premature, but let's pretend all is sunshine and roses right now) then the Goodmans would seem to be getting their jobs through worth, irrespective of their same last names.

I'll wait and see.

~G

turftoad
05-16-2008, 12:32 PM
Perhaps DEN can't hire qualified folks, perhaps the real NFL world has seen enough of the regime in DEN and does not want to be associated with it..

Much like in YEARS past if a FA came to DEN if we wanted them they were never allowed to leave to go to the next stop. That has not been the case over the past coupe of years a few folks came and went and in one or two cases signed for less than reportedly they were offered here..

Nepo city!

Agreed.

I don't like it. There must have been someone else worthy of the job.

If Tyler screws up or doesn't do the job, who fires him? Jim? Jeff? No, Shanny of Bolen will have to. If this happens then what happens with Jim, his father or Jeff, his brother? There will be hard feelings. That's exactly why you don't do something like this.
It's either all three of them or none of them.

dogfish
05-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Agreed.

I don't like it. There must have been someone else worthy of the job.

If Tyler screws up or doesn't do the job, who fires him? Jim? Jeff? No, Shanny of Bolen will have to. If this happens then what happens with Jim, his father or Jeff, his brother? There will be hard feelings. That's exactly why you don't do something like this.
It's either all three of them or none of them.

hmmm. . .

david gibbs, anyone?

haroldthebarrel
05-16-2008, 01:37 PM
hmmm. . .

david gibbs, anyone?

or jeremy bates or a lot of others.

the Gibbs is a good example though. I dont think a son has ever gotten several jobs and still be so incompetent. I was screaming for his head for three years. there can be no other reason but his father.
and that idiot still gets new high gigs and still screws up time and time again.

Kinda like dennis ericson or norv turner for some stupid reason still get head coach gigs.

Lonestar
05-16-2008, 01:43 PM
It took you 12 whole hours to get here Jr. I'm disappointed. ;)

I'm with Brand for the moment though - I don't care about hiring family, as long as they are qualified.

Peyton and Eli Manning didn't win get "hired" because they were Archie's kid, they got hired because they were damn good. They both then went on to win Super Bowls.

If Goodmans were behind the '06 draft, and if the '08 draft without Sundquist turns out to be awesome (WAY premature, but let's pretend all is sunshine and roses right now) then the Goodmans would seem to be getting their jobs through worth, irrespective of their same last names.

I'll wait and see.

~G

Been busy family duties,

IF the goodmans were indeed behind the past three drafts then perhaps.. BUT folks, did they restrain mikey from reaching in any of they drafts or was it PAT? Or has mikey finally stopped taking high reward/risk players.

Lots of injury concerns in this years list of acquisitions, will they all pan out? If so he/they look good if not they do not..

MOtorboat
05-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Been busy family duties,

IF the goodmans were indeed behind the past three drafts then perhaps.. BUT folks, did they restrain mikey from reaching in any of they drafts or was it PAT? Or has mikey finally stopped taking high reward/risk players.

Lots of injury concerns in this years list of acquisitions, will they all pan out? If so he/they look good if not they do not..

:rolleyes:

Cugel
05-16-2008, 03:21 PM

Nepo city!

No. :coffee:

No top-quality GM wants to come to Denver because Shanahan will be looking over his shoulder and the guy won't have the last say on player personnel.

But, scout? That's a different matter. Those guys will take any NFL scouting job they can get. There are only 32 teams and a lot of guys who want jobs. A good scout is a good scout, they get paid to do a job and it doesn't matter too much which team hires them.

They haven't fired a bunch of scouts or something. Rather, they promoted their long-term scout to assistant GM.

No, this is nepotism pure and simple. I think it's about as likely to be a good idea as the Nepotism of the Bush family. And we all know how well THAT turned out! :coffee:

topscribe
05-16-2008, 03:35 PM
No. :coffee:

No top-quality GM wants to come to Denver because Shanahan will be looking over his shoulder and the guy won't have the last say on player personnel.

But, scout? That's a different matter. Those guys will take any NFL scouting job they can get. There are only 32 teams and a lot of guys who want jobs. A good scout is a good scout, they get paid to do a job and it doesn't matter too much which team hires them.

They haven't fired a bunch of scouts or something. Rather, they promoted their long-term scout to assistant GM.

No, this is nepotism pure and simple. I think it's about as likely to be a good idea as the Nepotism of the Bush family. And we all know how well THAT turned out! :coffee:

No. How did that turn out?

On second thought, I guess that's best saved for P&R . . .

-----

NameUsedBefore
05-16-2008, 03:58 PM
Nepotism or not, the changes seem to have worked these past few years and that's good enough for me.

Brand
05-16-2008, 04:07 PM
So much passion for such an insignificant event.

If you don't like the way the organization is being run, then why don't you buy the team and do it your way?

I cannot believe the degree of cynicism on this board....

topscribe
05-16-2008, 04:09 PM
The circumstances behind the Goodmans does not concern me. And I don't
care whether nepotism has resuted in incompetence in past examples.

All I care about is whether this ensemble can do the job. After listening
carefully to their individual interviews, I believe they can do the job.

That's all I care about. :coffee:

-----

TXBRONC
05-16-2008, 05:38 PM
The circumstances behind the Goodmans does not concern me. And I don't
care whether nepotism has resuted in incompetence in past examples.

All I care about is whether this ensemble can do the job. After listening
carefully to their individual interviews, I believe they can do the job.

That's all I care about. :coffee:

-----

No kidding, if Tyler can do the job does it matter?