PDA

View Full Version : Whose career would you want, Horry or Barkley?

Retired_Member_001
05-15-2008, 05:11 PM
Post from a Lakers forum, I thought it was interesting:

I saw this topic being discussed on another forum I frequent and found the question really interesting. Here's the original post:

"If you could be either Horry or Barkley and have their careers which guy would you choose to be and why?

Barkley was a hall of fame player a dominant force on the basketball court, who got paid max money and has major fame. One of the best players of all time. But...he never won the big one.

or...

Robert Horry - A guy who made good money, and won 7 rings. Probably not as much cash, nor as much fame, but he has the jewelry. A role player with the rings...

So, which Career or life would you want?"

Retired_Member_001
05-15-2008, 05:13 PM
I'd go for Barkley. He's a legend and Horry isn't. Usually in an NBA Career, I'd want a long career and Rings galore. The thing is, Horry has acheived this, but not really as a starter. Because of this I've got to go for Sir Charles.

Retired_Member_001
05-15-2008, 05:14 PM
Damn, I copy and pasted and the guy spelt Barkley wrong.

Mods could you please change this whenever please.

BroncoJoe
05-15-2008, 05:15 PM
I'd go with Horry. I don't want Las Vegas and potentially the Federal Government after me for a $400,000 gambling debt.

haroldthebarrel
05-15-2008, 05:17 PM
charles barkley by far. My favorite basketball player ever.

I am only 6 foot and played forward but he was my basketball idol and I modeled my game after him. No game is a good game unless you have at least two charging fouls and get to throw 10 free throws a game.

ApaOps5
05-15-2008, 05:50 PM
Put me in the Charles Barkley fan club. Horry might have all the rings but Barley has the notoriety. Its like that movie Tin Cup where the golf pro says years from now they aren't going to remember who won the US Open but they are going to remember the guy who tried 18 times to get on the green in two and carry the water.

honz
05-15-2008, 10:23 PM
On Jazz boards we have had this same discussion, only we substituted Malone for Barkley. It's a tough call...you can be a hall of famer and one of the all time greats while never winning a ring, or you can ride the coattails of other players to 6 rings, or however many rings Horry has.

Personally, I would rather have a career like Malone or Barkley's. Horry has just sort of lucked into his rings by always being on the right team at the right time.

dogfish
05-16-2008, 01:36 AM
if you'd chosen someone with a parallel story that wasn't such an assclown i might have chosen horry's career, but i can't stand the guy. . . barkley's a tremendous loudmouth, but he backed it up on the court and was fun to watch. . .

Nomad
05-16-2008, 07:13 AM
I like Barkely, but Horry was a hero in many games plus has rings to back it up. Plus I'm not a very loud person!

Ziggy
05-16-2008, 08:10 AM
I'd take Horry's career. He got rings, got rich, and can still take his kids to the movies without being mobbed.

dogfish
05-16-2008, 01:56 PM
I'd take Horry's career. He got rings, got rich, and can still take his kids to the movies without being mobbed.

i would agree with that rationale-- a lot of people think it would be great to be famous, but IMO it would totally blow. . .

when i lived in denver i worked at the wild oats (natural foods store for those who don't know) in cherry hills for several years. . . sports stars like sakic and elway lived in that area, and would come into the store occasionally. . . people always wanted to talk to them, get their autographs etc etc. . . but i always felt bad for them-- let the poor bastages buy their milk and go home! :lol:

that's the price of fame, and i'm sure some think that it's part of the territory with the money they make. . . personally, i try to respect everyone's rights, and i think athletes and entertainers deserve a measure of privacy just like anyone else. . .

Scarface
05-17-2008, 10:30 AM
This was actually asked to Robert Horry a couple of years ago and he didn't blink. He said he would choose Barkley's career.

NightTrainLayne
05-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Barkley, hands down. Not for the fame and notoriety, but just having the satisfaction of knowing that you're a HOF'er, and one of the best ever.

Role-player lucky enough to play on several really good teams vs. HOF player who worked his butt off, but never had the team to win with?

I'll take the HOF player every day.

Northman
05-17-2008, 11:15 AM
Horry has always been the 6th man type and it has paid off in terms of the rings he has gotten but i still like and would be in Barkley's position. When all is said and done Horry will be a distant memory to Sir Charles.