PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' Rice Moves Up To Starter On 'D' Line

Skinny
09-11-2007, 05:40 PM
By Arnie Stapleton, AP Sports Writer
CBS4 Broncos Insiders
Sept. 11, 2007

(AP) ENGLEWOOD, Colo. Pass-rusher Simeon Rice showed enough in his 17 snaps to supplant Elvis Dumervil as the Broncos' starter at right defensive end.

Rice made two big plays in his Denver debut, batting down a pass and making a tackle for loss.

"I was happy with him," Shanahan said. "Tim Crowder couldn't play because of his (sprained) ankle. I asked Simeon to come in and play between 15 and 20 plays. He came in there and ... made a couple of big-time plays, that one on a reverse and I just got a good feel, so I think he'll really help us down the line."

Crowder, a rookie, has been dealing with a high ankle sprain for more than a month.

Shanahan also was pleased with his offensive line, where left tackle Matt Lepsis returned to the lineup after missing most of last season with a knee injury and Erik Pears made his first start at right tackle. Both of the guards -- Chris Myers on the left and Montrae Holland on the right -- made their Broncos debut.

"I thought they did great," Shanahan said. "I was pretty pleased with how they handled themselves."

The loss of Lepsis last year had a domino effect that stalled the offense.

"It was good to get Matt back. He's got a lot of confidence in that knee," Shanahan said.

EXTRA POINTS: CB Domonique Foxworth is nursing a sprained ankle and LB Louis Green is recovering from a blow to the head. ... K Jason Elam missed just twice last year when Jake Plummer was his holder. With Todd Sauerbrun holding, he missed twice on Sunday. "I think there's always an adjustment," Shanahan said. "But Jason would be the first person not to blame it on the holder, that's for sure." ... New MLB D.J. Williams led the Broncos with nine tackles. "It's going to be a growing experience, he's going to get better each game," Shanahan said. "I thought for his first game he played well."

http://cbs4denver.com/broncos/local_story_254070201.html

Skinny
09-11-2007, 05:42 PM
Having him on the feild more should definitely give our pass rush a boost.

Even if it is at the expense of my Adoptee! :sad:

Lonestar
09-11-2007, 06:41 PM
Having him on the feild more should definitely give our pass rush a boost.

Even if it is at the expense of my Adoptee! :sad:

Your adpotee should be an orphan drop him and get someone usefull.

The Horses Mouth
09-11-2007, 06:57 PM

Rice really looked in good shape. I am glad we signed him..

Also, really loved the way DJ looked out there. He had some big plays. His speed is nice. :salute:

shank
09-11-2007, 07:01 PM

whatever, elvis looked great on sunday, he was the only one giving his man any trouble (and he did it very consistently).

Slick
09-11-2007, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the info, Skinny. I'm excited about Rice. I think he can be a difference maker.

I still think there's plenty of playing time for Elvis too.

broncosinindy
09-11-2007, 07:46 PM
You had to figure this would happen. I wonder how this will affect Third Down. Whether Rice will stay in or will they replace him with Doom. Intresting stuff. i like Doom hes great but you cant go wrong with a guy like Rice. I wonder if hell stay around next year if he is effective.

Skinny
09-11-2007, 08:41 PM
Your adpotee should be an orphan drop him and get someone usefull.Ugh! Looks like somebody got up on the wrong side of the rock! :boxing:

S'all good JR!

Your still my buddy! http://forums.denverbroncos.com/images/smilies/th_broadgrin.gif

Rick
09-11-2007, 08:43 PM
I love that Rice has been named starter but I am not keen on Elvis having to be the one to ride the pine.

Guess I am just more impressed with him then Engle.

Elvis will still come in on all passing downs though I would bet.

arapaho2
09-11-2007, 09:12 PM

geeesh even on this new board, you still havent found a bronco player you like besides former ones living in the idaho mountains

Requiem / The Dagda
09-11-2007, 09:14 PM
I won't even get started with the absolutely ridiculous bashing of Elvis Dumervil.

dogfish
09-11-2007, 09:41 PM
I won't even get started with the absolutely ridiculous bashing of Elvis Dumervil.

seriously, just ignore it, there's no point even addressing it. . . JR just plain doesn't like most of our players, and he's never going to-- we can't make him and there's no sense arguing about it. . .

it was only a matter of time before rice cracked the starting lineup, and i expected it would be sooner rather than later. . . we like to use a DL rotation, and rice isn't getting younger, so i'm sure dumervil and probably moss as well will still get plenty of chances. . . i can't say how much i love the idea of having a fresh wave of pass rushers for 3rd downs. . . last year elvis was the only consistent pass rusher on the team-- this year we should have two for sure, assuming rice still has it, and maybe even three. . . "too many" pass rushers is never a bad problem to have!

DenBronx
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM

no please do...because who in their right mind would bash a rookie that notch 8 1/2 sacks for a below average dline last year. jrwiz, i dont get why you would say that, i hope you were being sarcastic because outside of rice we really have no proven pass rusher on the team.

when elvis starts putting up 2 or 3 sacks per game im pretty sure they will try and move him opposite of rice.

shank
09-11-2007, 11:13 PM
^ no sarcasm. jr has been a dumervil bash factory for a while now. 'cause he's undersized'

... but go ahead and ask him about quentin griffin and all of his 67 inches...

topscribe
09-11-2007, 11:47 PM
^ no sarcasm. jr has been a dumervil bash factory for a while now. 'cause he's undersized'

:shocked:

-----

ChampWJ
09-12-2007, 12:00 AM
I really like this. Elvis will be fresh when he comes in to wreak havoc on passing downs. Rice is going to be a machine if he stays healthy.

shank
09-12-2007, 12:16 AM
:shocked:

-----

67 inches TALL top. his height. the measurement from the bottom of his feet to the top of his head.

you didn't think... :listen:... :lol::lol:

Lonestar
09-12-2007, 01:22 PM
geeesh even on this new board, you still havent found a bronco player you like besides former ones living in the idaho mountains

seriously, just ignore it, there's no point even addressing it. . . JR just plain doesn't like most of our players, and he's never going to-- we can't make him and there's no sense arguing about it. . .

it was only a matter of time before rice cracked the starting lineup, and i expected it would be sooner rather than later. . . we like to use a DL rotation, and rice isn't getting younger, so i'm sure dumervil and probably moss as well will still get plenty of chances. . . i can't say how much i love the idea of having a fresh wave of pass rushers for 3rd downs. . . last year elvis was the only consistent pass rusher on the team-- this year we should have two for sure, assuming rice still has it, and maybe even three. . . "too many" pass rushers is never a bad problem to have!

no please do...because who in their right mind would bash a rookie that notch 8 1/2 sacks for a below average dline last year. jrwiz, i dont get why you would say that, i hope you were being sarcastic because outside of rice we really have no proven pass rusher on the team.

when elvis starts putting up 2 or 3 sacks per game im pretty sure they will try and move him opposite of rice.

Skinny got it the way it was intended sorry you can't/did not.

PAINTERDAVE
09-12-2007, 05:59 PM
Jeez... what huge problem to have.

Shanny has to decide wether to play Elvis or Simien.

I bet there are some coaches around the league who WISH they had that problem.

deal is... it is a long season and we are gonna need BOTH guys.

Starter... backup.. all those guys want is a WIN.

Me, too!

Lonestar
09-12-2007, 08:05 PM

Me, too!

Good post. Most HC's would kill to have the option. IN fact some might even cheat to get it done.

I would hope that having Rice will allow the rush DE alot of rest time on the sidelines that they are always fresh when they come in.

Simple Jaded
09-12-2007, 08:41 PM
...is in good enough shape right now to make much of a difference in the playing time of these two anyway.

I'll be willing to bet that Dumervil plays just as much as he did in the first game.

I also wonder if the promise of a starting job was one of the things that got Rice to sign here....

broncosfanscott
09-12-2007, 10:03 PM
From what he showed on the snaps he was in the game for, I am not surprised to see him bumped up to starter. As long as he stays healthy he will provide plenty of pressure on the QB. I like Elvis and I hope this doesn't mean his playing time will diminish because he proved himself last year. He almost returned that INT for a TD right before halftime.

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 02:51 PM

JR it was Dumervil that came up with interception in the Bills game. The kid has a habit of being around turnovers.

Watchthemiddle
09-13-2007, 02:54 PM

Me, too!

Agreed.

In years past we were scratching at finding personel to fill the DE..now we have some actual talent and potentially a future HOF in Rice.

TXBRONC
09-13-2007, 03:03 PM
Shanahan brought Rice in to eventually start. I think Bates will still use Elvis quite often this year.