PDA

View Full Version : Tebow brings magic to Memphis

broncobryce
05-13-2010, 05:25 PM
http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/may/12/tebow-brings-magic-to-memphis/

Memphis-based Jimmy Sexton figured he had a foolproof post-NFL draft plan for Tim Tebow, his newest client.

He wanted to find an incognito locale for Tebow, the University of Florida's iconic quarterback and first-round draft choice of the Denver Broncos, to work out away from the glare of the media and out of reach from adoring fans and autograph hounds.

"He couldn't do it in Florida," Sexton said. "I went out with him in Gainesville in January, and we had to drive 20 minutes outside of town to a little hole-in-the-wall place so he could eat."

Tebow couldn't do it in Denver, where on the first day of the Broncos' mini-camp on April 30, five days after the draft, there were 32 rookies and 47 media members, the latter to eyeball Tebow.

Sexton thought the sleepy solitude of Memphis would provide Tebow with the necessary witness-protection atmosphere. The plan was simple -- Tebow would live with Sexton for two weeks, and work out every day at local private high schools like Memphis University School, Christian Brothers and Briarcrest.

But . . .

"It was the craziest thing I've ever seen," Sexton said as word of mouth spread about the Tebow sightings. "I've never had a family knock on my door at 2 in the afternoon, asking me if Tim Tebow was staying in my house. I never had phone calls from so many parents with available 21-year-old daughters wanting to meet Tim. They all know he's that good a guy and that good a player, and he has a hard time saying 'No.' "

Tebow is happy he followed Sexton's plan to come to Memphis.

"I got in a lot of good work, and I met a lot of good people," said Tebow after one final workout Tuesday as he leaves Memphis this morning. "It was so much fun to get back in high school facilities, to get back to your roots and just know that level is where you started. I worked, hung out and just had a great time."

If Tebow thought his life couldn't get any crazier after winning a Heisman Trophy and two national championships at Florida, he was wrong.

Just last week, the NFL announced that Tebow's No. 15 Broncos' jersey is the fastest selling rookie jersey in history, blowing past the record Mark Sanchez set last year.

And Tebow got the stamp of approval from Broncos Hall of Fame quarterback John Elway, who believes Tebow can play quarterback despite the naysayers. He told a Denver TV station that Tebow is a "great competitor so that gives us hope."

"I've texted back and forth with him (Elway), and that's truly an honor," Tebow said. "He has been very supportive of me. He's one of the all-time best."

Endorsement opportunities are flooding Sexton and his team at Athletic Resource Management. Tebow, a devout Christian, has signed with Nike and will be on the cover of EA Sports College Football 2011 video game later this summer.

"Within the next five years, Tim clearly has a chance to be one of the most endorsable athletes on the planet," Sexton said. "I had one CEO of a major Fortune 500 company tell me, 'You know what, Jimmy? For a corporation to put a face on their brand, this guy (Tebow) is the real deal. He's the one guy who's not going to be a scandal two or three years from now.' "

While Tebow has been blown away by the number of endorsement opportunities, he's also declined some seven-figure per year deals because he thought they would interfere with his football preparation.

"I'm trying to work hard and not get my mind cluttered with all that," Tebow said. "When it gets to the point when something needs to be presented to me, I see it. Right now, it's all ball for me."

That's why with everyone wanting a piece of the Tebow magic, it was a relief for him to work out in Memphis, throwing to mostly high school receivers and putting in four- to five-hour workouts.

He also got a chance to take batting practice with the MUS baseball team and hit 12 of 15 pitches out of the park.

"The kids were just awed by how far he hit the ball," Sexton said. "The best thing about Tim is he thinks he's just another guy and acts that way. He's oblivious to everything going on around him. He doesn't think he's a big deal. I asked him the other day how he stayed so humble, how come he didn't get the big head compared to a lot of other athletes."

Well, Tim?

"You have to decide what you have to be proud about, and being a football player doesn't make you any more special than anyone else," Tebow said. "Football gives me a platform and with that platform comes a responsibility and obligation to make a difference in people's lives."

Shazam!
05-14-2010, 12:17 AM
"Within the next five years, Tim clearly has a chance to be one of the most endorsable athletes on the planet," Sexton said. "I had one CEO of a major Fortune 500 company tell me, 'You know what, Jimmy? For a corporation to put a face on their brand, this guy (Tebow) is the real deal. He's the one guy who's not going to be a scandal two or three years from now.' "

While Tebow has been blown away by the number of endorsement opportunities, he's also declined some seven-figure per year deals because he thought they would interfere with his football preparation.

I love him.

Thanks Josh.

Lonestar
05-14-2010, 12:30 AM
Let's just hope he remains grounded. I suspect soon there will be HUGE temptations that he will be hard pressed to take.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Shazam!
05-14-2010, 12:42 AM
God is with him JR. God is with him.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Let's just hope he remains grounded. I suspect soon there will be HUGE temptations that he will be hard pressed to take.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

If I was a superstar (more so than already :D ) I'd be hard pressed to not hard press groupies :lol:

If that's what you mean. :lol:

GGMoogly
05-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Tebow can bring the magic whether he's in Memphis, Maui, or Mozambique. :cheer2:

SOCALORADO.
05-14-2010, 07:40 AM
"I've texted back and forth with him (Elway), and that's truly an honor," Tebow said. "He has been very supportive of me. He's one of the all-time best, and i dont think i have a stronger or bigger arm than Elway."

Glad hes not claiming anything crazy.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-14-2010, 10:33 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Holy-cow-Tim-Tebow-shows-his-power-stroke-in-ba?urn=mlb,240974

You thought a baseball blog was a good place to hide from Tim Tebow news?

Think again!

Considering the hype surrounding his client, Tebow's agent thought it would be a good idea to hide him in Memphis — Elvis, after all, lives there in plain sight — for a few days. Alas, once neighbors figured out who Jimmy Sexton's guest was, they came a-knockin' and blew Tebow's cover.

But not before Tebow got in some whacks. Not at the critics who consider Josh McDaniels and the Denver Broncos cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs for trading up to take Tebow in the first round of the NFL Draft.

No, these whacks came at batting practice with the high school kids on the Memphis University School baseball team.

Tebow hit 12 homers on 15 pitches.

Of course he did.

Via the Memphis Commercial-Appeal:

"The kids were just awed by how far he hit the ball," Sexton said. "The best thing about Tim is he thinks he's just another guy and acts that way. He's oblivious to everything going on around him. He doesn't think he's a big deal. I asked him the other day how he stayed so humble, how come he didn't get the big head compared to a lot of other athletes."

Tebow played high school baseball before giving his heart to Gator football — winning a national championship, along with a Heisman, in the process. I don't know if he could have gone the way of Broncos legend John Elway, who played minor league ball in the Yankees system, but it's a notable near-parallel.

And yet if he did play the grand old game, you have to wonder if we'd be criticizing Tebow's batting stance and swing like we do his throwing motion.

There's no video (yet) of Tebow's batting practice, but there is some footage of him at Memphis practicing snaps. Seen it! Give us some baseball.

SOCALORADO.
05-14-2010, 10:49 AM
"And yet if he did play the grand old game, you have to wonder if we'd be criticizing Tebow's batting stance and swing like we do his throwing motion."

We should have some dim-wit, clown from E!SPN's baseball "analysts" critiquing
Tebows footwork and hand-eye coordination by noon.
Explaining to us that he would have hit all 15 for home runs if he just would listen to them and change his batting stance and his allegiance to God of course.