PDA

View Full Version : The best time in history to be a broncos fan...

Skacorica
05-13-2010, 10:24 AM
I was watching the NFL network last night and it had an hour long recap of the Broncos '98 season. It made me super nostalgic to see TD slashing up defenses, Eddie mac/Rods catches, John's pocket happy dance with trigger fast release and even schlereth 150 lbs heavier.

It also reminded me of watching the games with my grandfather who was a die hard Broncos fan. Id say for me (and probably most fans) that period of the mid 90s had to be the best time to be a Broncos fan.

What do the rest of you think?

weazel
05-13-2010, 11:17 AM
I was watching the NFL network last night and it had an hour long recap of the Broncos '98 season. It made me super nostalgic to see TD slashing up defenses, Eddie mac/Rods catches, John's pocket happy dance with trigger fast release and even schlereth 150 lbs heavier.

It also reminded me of watching the games with my grandfather who was a die hard Broncos fan. Id say for me (and probably most fans) that period of the mid 90s had to be the best time to be a Broncos fan.

I dont flip flop teams, I am still a fan of the same teams I cheered for when I was a kid. For me, it's always the best time to be a fan of the team I cheer for.

This thread just sounds too much like a bandwagon statement

BroncoWave
05-13-2010, 11:18 AM
I dont flip flop teams, I am still a fan of the same teams I cheered for when I was a kid. For me, it's always the best time to be a fan of the team I cheer for.

Wow, way to just be a dick with absolutely nothing to back up what you're claiming. Feel better now?

Shazam!
05-13-2010, 11:20 AM
It was the best time to be a long-suffering diehard Broncos fan after watching the devastating Super Bowl defeats. Seeing the dominance of the powerhouses of the 80-90s era, teams like SF, Dallas, 'Skins and even to the NYG, it was great to see Denver finally be an elite, crushing force.

I even count 1996 in their run. Sure it was disappointing in the end, but I never couldve dreamed I'd ever see the Broncos become so dominant and twice world champions for consecutive years.

I also think the 98 Broncos are one of the most unappreciated teams of all time when stacked up against other legendary squads.

I can only hope to see Denver regain even a smidgeon of those teams and win another Super Bowl.

BroncoWave
05-13-2010, 11:29 AM
The only downside of those years for me is that I was really too young to appreciate it when it happened. I can only hope that now that I am old enough to fully appreciate it that I will have the fortune of seeing the Broncos win another one.

When you're 8 and 9 years old and they win back to back titles you think that's how it's supposed to happen every year! :lol:

camdisco24
05-13-2010, 11:29 AM
I watched both the 97 and 98 season recap last night and was thinking the same thing. I was still pretty young then but I remember going crazy when we won in 97 FINALLY. My uncle, who basically turned me into a Bronco fan at birth, was speechless and it was an awesome moment i'll never forget.

If anyone wants to catch the 98' recap, its on again at 4:00 today on NFLN.

camdisco24
05-13-2010, 11:32 AM

The OP never said they flip-floped teams when the Broncos were playing well. :confused:

It was a great time to be a Bronco fan, I dont see whats wrong with saying that.... What's better than back to back superbowl wins??

EastCoastBronco
05-13-2010, 11:37 AM

No need to be a ***** weazel...

98 was a great season for sure but for me the 97 season will always hold a special place. It was the culmination of years and years of tripping just before we reached the finish line. I cried tears of joy in the middle of my living room when Mobley knocked down that pass.
My first kid was born in April of 98...Right smack in the middle of Denver's gloriousness so 97/98 will be remembered fondly for many reasons for this old Broncos fan...

MasterShake
05-13-2010, 11:37 AM
It was great in the Super Bowl years, but part of me misses the underdog years when we were just a scrappy team with a great QB and one of the best stadiums in the NFL. I'd say the whole Mile High Stadium era was pretty good. Last season I really enjoyed recently was 2005 with the AFCCG. Its like we got spoiled after the second superbowl win, and Invesco is a great stadium but it seems to have lost some of the magic.

That being said, I'm anxiously awaiting the new season! :salute:

Lonestar
05-13-2010, 12:00 PM
I think the up coming years will be something special.

IF the draftees over the last few years show up and are quality kids we have some potentially great ones.

Now that is not to say the SB winning years or the 1977 season was not special but I see a big light at the End of what has been a very long tunnel.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

silkamilkamonico
05-13-2010, 12:04 PM
I've followed the mirage of light for years now, only to contineously be let down. For myself, I'm going to have to see actual results on the field.

As far as the best era, I think it's a no brainer it would be the back to back SuperBowls.

Skacorica
05-13-2010, 12:12 PM

Considering Ive never been a fan of any football team aside from the Broncos Im not sure how thats bandwagon? I started watching games when I was 6 in 1987 and was a broncos fan then and a broncos fan now. Perhaps you should read more closely before trolling?

Tned
05-13-2010, 12:13 PM

Agreed, after the bigger and bigger, blowout SB losses in the '80s, and then some really low points in the early '90s, the '96, '97 and '98 seasons were great as Broncos fans. I know the Jax loss in '96 hurt, but the fact that we could see the team coming together was awesome.

Hopefully, we'll have another run like that before long.

Traveler
05-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Having been one of the many who supported the team since the late sixties/early seventies, I can truly appreciate how dominant the team was from 1996-1998.

I remember the years when Floyd Little brought legitimacy to the franchise.

Suffered through the horrible years when the Raiders would destroy Denver unmercifully.

Attended the 1977 Championship Game against the Raiders.

Enjoyed the years when Denver became more competitive while suffering heartbreaking defeats in the SB's.

The 1997 & 1998 seasons were joyous for many Bronco fans, especially those who have been around before the franchise and the city were referred to as more than a "dusty old cow town with a rotten football team."

It probably also explains why us "old timers" don't see the McDaniels era as dire as some here. We've lived through a time when things were really bad.

Tned
05-13-2010, 12:20 PM
It probably also explains why us "old timers" don't see the McDaniels era as dire as some here. We've lived through a time when things were really bad.

Reading this, and other Broncos, message boards, it is easy to see that Broncos fans are spoiled. I have said it many times. We go bonkers about how horrible our 8-8 or 7-9 seasons are, and lose sight of how few losing seasons we have had since Bowlen took over the team. Compare that to almost any other team in the NFL, and we have been some of the luckiest fans over the last 25+ years.

When we have to endure several 2-4 win seasons, and get to pick in the top 5 (or top 3) several years in a row, then us Broncos' fans will appreciate how good we've had it. Having said that, I would much preferred we live our spoiled life and NOT have to endure those low, single digit wins seasons lilke virtually every franchise other than Denver has to endure.

Slick
05-13-2010, 12:38 PM
I cried when Bowlen said "This one's for John"

arapaho2
05-13-2010, 12:40 PM
my whole 38 or so years of being a bronco fan has been great..the superbowls were a highlight

but who could forget the drive

who didnt cringe when karlis came on in the snow and freezing field to KO or try a fg barefoot

its all been good for me

Skacorica
05-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Reading this, and other Broncos, message boards, it is easy to see that Broncos fans are spoiled. I have said it many times. We go bonkers about how horrible our 8-8 or 7-9 seasons are, and lose sight of how few losing seasons we have had since Bowlen took over the team. Compare that to almost any other team in the NFL, and we have been some of the luckiest fans over the last 25+ years.

When we have to endure several 2-4 win seasons, and get to pick in the top 5 (or top 3) several years in a row, then us Broncos' fans will appreciate how good we've had it. Having said that, I would much preferred we live our spoiled life and NOT have to endure those low, single digit wins seasons lilke virtually every franchise other than Denver has to endure.

I agree; we are spoiled. Having one of the best QBs in history for 15 years tends to do that to you :) But there was also something about that team in the mid 90s, not just the super bowl years, but even the preceding years that was just downright likable. TD, Rod Smith, Eddie Mac, our stars were guys that came out of nowhere (other than ofc John).

Tned
05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
I agree; we are spoiled. Having one of the best QBs in history for 15 years tends to do that to you :) But there was also something about that team in the mid 90s, not just the super bowl years, but even the preceding years that was just downright likable. TD, Rod Smith, Eddie Mac, our stars were guys that came out of nowhere (other than ofc John).

'95/'96 you started to see it moving in the right direction, but from '90-'94, we had some rough times, including Reeves trying to Replace Elway and Elway rumored to be thinking of retiring (can't remember if he ever publicly said it) because of the fan/media pressure and scrutiny.

frenchfan
05-13-2010, 12:47 PM

What do the rest of you think?Well, I'm a Broncos fan since 1985 (year I discovered football)... Let me tell you that after watched some SB losses, it was a great moment in my life... really... And 1998 was a special year for me as a fan :

- Broncos won the SB
- France national soccer team won the world cup
- Lille (my hometown) won the 2nd division soccer championship and came back to the 1st division
- Lens (the other team of my arer) won the 1st division soccer championship.

I don't think a sport fan had a better year ever ! LOL

And cherry on the cake : I asked my gf to be my wife... and she said yes (wedding was in 1999).

SO yeah... i felt really great in 1998 ;)

:beer:

BroncoWave
05-13-2010, 01:43 PM
my whole 38 or so years of being a bronco fan has been great..the superbowls were a highlight

but who could forget the drive

who didnt cringe when karlis came on in the snow and freezing field to KO or try a fg barefoot

its all been good for me

I wouldn't have guessed from all the bitching you do now! :lol:

WARHORSE
05-13-2010, 02:08 PM
Many Broncos fans became fans during the 97 and 98 seasons......wonder why.

Its all good though.

Im with those who have been through the good and the bad. An old timer indeed, my loyalties do not flip flop, and there will never be a day where the Broncos are not 'my' team.

All my kids bleed orange and blue, and my wife as well.

My oldest son once asked me when he was younger, 'what if I didnt like the Broncos and wanted to choose my own team'? I told him he would be a loser the rest of his life cause the Broncos are the best.....always were....always will be.

I had posted some photos from the AFC Championship game on Facebook, and when my eight year old saw them, he posted this:

"ho let the dogs out hohohoho"

I cracked up, and so many cranked on that post.

God I love a kid who loves the B R O N C O S.

No matter what they go through, to the Broncos I'll always be true.

WARHORSE
05-13-2010, 02:09 PM

Im not gonna fess up to cryin, but I'll go as far as sayin I got misty eyed.

At his retirement speech........even more misty eyed.

Ten HUT!!:salute::salute::salute:

Softskull
05-13-2010, 02:15 PM
Looking back, 97 was the best year, but next year is always my favorite.

Northman
05-13-2010, 02:18 PM
Being a fan since 82' i can honestly say that if you had seen my face when we won our first championship let alone with Elway you would of been laughing. I was balling like a baby. I think MANY Bronco fans got a huge weight lifted off their shoulders that day.

Skacorica
05-13-2010, 02:28 PM
Being a fan since 82' i can honestly say that if you had seen my face when we won our first championship let alone with Elway you would of been laughing. I was balling like a baby. I think MANY Bronco fans got a huge weight lifted off their shoulders that day.

Funny you say that; I used to read a book in the school library "history of the denver broncos" or something like that that I would read when I was a kid. I remember I loved reading it but then I would get really upset when it got to the chapter about super bowls...this had to be around '92. Especially the "most lopsided loss" and "never won a super bowl" thing. Its a random thing but it sticks in my memory. I immediately thought of that book when they won in '97

BroncoNut
05-13-2010, 02:50 PM

Im not gonna fess up to cryin, but I'll go as far as sayin I got misty eyed.

At his retirement speech........even more misty eyed.

Ten HUT!!:salute::salute::salute:

what a couple of girls

BigBroncLove
05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
I think the first time you see your team win the superbowl, especially after the long run of heart breaking superbowl losses, it's a special event in your mind. I remember I was 14. I picked out 3 roman candles (yes illegal fireworks :) ) and a nice spot to display them when I set them off if the broncos won. That game in 97 was a nail bitter, but the build up was worth it. When the Broncos won I was screaming unintelligable strange celebratory screams, got my speaking skills back then ran out of the house yelling "we won" and completely forgot about the fireworks. There must of been 4 or 5 houses on my block blaring "We are the champions". My father, after a bit of time, rounded us up from watching Elway hoist the lombardi trophy into the air and got us in the car for a cruise.

I didn't know why exactly at first, but then I understood when we got to Colorado Blvd. There was a massive gaggle of people all over that busy street. I stood out of the sunroof and gave high fives to the people that had formed a psuedo mini parade as we drove through the crowd. I thought for sure I'd get in trouble doing this, but then I realized I had just given a uniformed officer a high five in the middle of a busy street and went back to celebrating. I really don't think, even if the Broncos won it this year, it would be quite the same.

So yeah, It was an awesome time to be a fan but every year is awesome. The offseason is a great reminder of how great every year of Bronco football is.

arapaho2
05-13-2010, 02:57 PM
I wouldn't have guessed from all the bitching you do now! :lol:

dont make the childish mistake of confusing a person being critical of coaching decisions and bitching

Denver Native (Carol)
05-13-2010, 03:08 PM
I think the first time you see your team win the superbowl, especially after the long run of heart breaking superbowl losses, it's a special event in your mind. I remember I was 14. I picked out 3 roman candles (yes illegal fireworks :) ) and a nice spot to display them when I set them off if the broncos won. That game in 97 was a nail bitter, but the build up was worth it. When the Broncos won I was screaming unintelligable strange celebratory screams, got my speaking skills back then ran out of the house yelling "we won" and completely forgot about the fireworks. There must of been 4 or 5 houses on my block blaring "We are the champions". My father, after a bit of time, rounded us up from watching Elway hoist the lombardi trophy into the air and got us in the car for a cruise.

I didn't know why exactly at first, but then I understood when we got to Colorado Blvd. There was a massive gaggle of people all over that busy street. I stood out of the sunroof and gave high fives to the people that had formed a psuedo mini parade as we drove through the crowd. I thought for sure I'd get in trouble doing this, but then I realized I had just given a uniformed officer a high five in the middle of a busy street and went back to celebrating. I really don't think, even if the Broncos won it this year, it would be quite the same.

So yeah, It was an awesome time to be a fan but every year is awesome. The offseason is a great reminder of how great every year of Bronco football is.

Many great memories in your post - and you are absolutely right - the Denver metro area, the State of Colorado - estatic could not even describe it after the 1st superbowl win - people in neighborhoods screaming, celebrating, Bronco fans cruising all over - it was a GREAT moment. I still love hearing Dave Logan's words:

“One play baby, one play. 4th and 6. And I know I’m supposed to be objective but I can’t help it. 4th and 6 with 32 seconds to go. One play to the Championship. Freeman and Mays wide left, Chmura inside of Mickens to the right side, Favre with Levens behind him. 4th and 6 from the 31. Blitz is on. Favre – hit as he throws. Pass is gonna be INCOMPLETE!!!! DENVER HOOOOOLLLLDDDSSS!!! Denver’s gonna win it! Oh baby they’re gonna win this thing! Are you kidding me? Bronco players are all over the field! Oh man! You can stand up and salute in Denver. You got the World Champions that live in your town.” – Dave Logan, Super Bowl XXXII

broncophan
05-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Have been a fan since their superbowl in the late 70's.....and it has always been good to be a bronco fan......although their superbowl blowouts in the 1980's were a little embarrassing.....o.k......alot embarrassing.......I mean we gave up 35 points in ONE QUARTER to the Skins.........I have always been proud to be a fan of a great 1st class organization.

Have been fortunate that we as fans have not had to suffer through terrible losing seasons year after year like some organizations have.

Have been fortunate to not go through a new head coach every 3 years.....and a different rebuilding process as well.

Yes the back to back SB wins were great.........and I honestly think great things are going to happen for this team again very soon..........but it has always been a good time to support the broncos.

buffsroam
05-13-2010, 03:29 PM
That is the first year that I remember watching games with my dad and grandpa. I have been told that I watched games prior to that but I assume I was way to hyper to realize that football was on. I remember all the super bowls and was normally drunk in the late 80's games and of course for the 97-98 SB's.

I was on vacation in mexico the year that Denver lost to the Steelers. I was on a cruise ship between Venezuela and Aruba when the Bronc's lost to Jax. The ocean was heavy so the reception went out for a couple of seconds about every 10 seconds. We watched the game in one of the bars. I did not have a single drink in the first half, but I was toasted by the end of the game. My Cousin did not help that cause as he is a Miami fan and kept giving me a hard time. The next day we were in Aruba and I was very hung over. I needed another pair of swim trunks so I went into town and got the overpriced trunks and went back to the boat.

I guess the moral is I need to stay in Denver when the Broncos play.

WARHORSE
05-13-2010, 03:50 PM
what a couple of girls

Yep.

Girls that can slap some heads.

e-Lou-sive1
05-13-2010, 03:51 PM
It is great being a Broncos fan and there are divisions between those of us who have been fans before the first Super Bowl and those who have been fans since the last Super Bowl. It was monumental watching the Broncos win the first Super Bowl lifting a heavy burden off the team, city and fans who endured countless ridicules.

I was born in Loveland,Colorado and now in Texas and I have always been proud to be a Broncos fan regardless of the negative attention I would receive. I am optimistic about this season and I think the competition is great for the QB position and whoever outperforms the others deserve to be the starter.

Whatever happens will impact Josh Mc Daniels future with the team after completely revamping the team to his standards and parting ways with talented marquee athletes.

Italianmobstr7
05-13-2010, 03:52 PM
The only downside of those years for me is that I was really too young to appreciate it when it happened. I can only hope that now that I am old enough to fully appreciate it that I will have the fortune of seeing the Broncos win another one.

When you're 8 and 9 years old and they win back to back titles you think that's how it's supposed to happen every year! :lol:

I'm just a couple of years older, but I feel like I fully got to appreciate the wins. I think part of it is because my Grandpa, Dad and Brother all suffered through the Super Bowl losses, and growing up around them, I knew how much it meant to them when we finally did win one. I was always a die-hard fan though. I can remember going outside and playing football and pretending to be Elway and friends pretending to be Sharpe and Davis. Like I said, I was a couple years older, but still feel I got to appreciate the wins quite a bit. Especially after being heartbroken the year before when we lost to Jacksonville. I remember being at my dad's friends "Wild-Card party" and it was mostly filled with Packer fans. After the game, I went outside and cried for a while. I thought it was going to be Elway's last shot. So glad they rebounded the next 2 years and got the job done. All that said though, I do think that if they won the Super bowl, say this year or in 3 years, I think I would enjoy it quite a bit. Would be great to recapture the feelings that I had when we won those 2 Super Bowls.

slim
05-13-2010, 03:59 PM
Every day is a good day to be a Bronco fan :salute:

Slick
05-13-2010, 04:15 PM
what a couple of girls

man enough to post a picture of me in my wetsuit.

Where's the mooseknuckle nut?

BroncoWave
05-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I'm just a couple of years older, but I feel like I fully got to appreciate the wins. I think part of it is because my Grandpa, Dad and Brother all suffered through the Super Bowl losses, and growing up around them, I knew how much it meant to them when we finally did win one. I was always a die-hard fan though. I can remember going outside and playing football and pretending to be Elway and friends pretending to be Sharpe and Davis. Like I said, I was a couple years older, but still feel I got to appreciate the wins quite a bit. Especially after being heartbroken the year before when we lost to Jacksonville. I remember being at my dad's friends "Wild-Card party" and it was mostly filled with Packer fans. After the game, I went outside and cried for a while. I thought it was going to be Elway's last shot. So glad they rebounded the next 2 years and got the job done. All that said though, I do think that if they won the Super bowl, say this year or in 3 years, I think I would enjoy it quite a bit. Would be great to recapture the feelings that I had when we won those 2 Super Bowls.

My family is very similar, having suffered through the pain of the SB losses, and John Elway was the first player I ever learned and I also always pretended to be him. I don't remember the Jacksonville loss though, only being 7 years old at that time. The first season I fully remember was the first SB winning season and the only game I really remember from that season other than the SB was winning @KC in the playoffs.

While I appreciate it greatly now, I really couldn't fully appreciate it as it happened, which is why I feel like if we were to win another one in my lifetime it would be a bit more special to me because I would actually remember the experience of the entire season and be able to fully enjoy it.

Medford Bronco
05-13-2010, 04:38 PM
I loved the whole Elway Era. I became a fan before that though.

I just enjoy good football and hopefully some playoff wins in our future.

weazel
05-13-2010, 04:41 PM
Wow, way to just be a dick with absolutely nothing to back up what you're claiming. Feel better now?

I wasn't trying to call the OP a bandwagon fan. I just said that the statement sounded bandwagon. I may have read it wrong.

you feel better?

weazel
05-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Considering Ive never been a fan of any football team aside from the Broncos Im not sure how thats bandwagon? I started watching games when I was 6 in 1987 and was a broncos fan then and a broncos fan now. Perhaps you should read more closely before trolling?

Yeah, I quickly glanced at it and read it wrong... I wasn't trying to say you were bandwagon, just kind of a bandwagon statement... either way, I wasn't trolling, just making an observation.

:beer: