PDA

View Full Version : Westbrook to visit Denver

rationalfan
05-12-2010, 01:46 PM
From Schefter via Twitter:

Filed to ESPN: Fresh off visit with Redskins, former Eagles RB Brian Westbrook is now en route to Denver to visit the Broncos on Thursday.

slim
05-12-2010, 01:50 PM
He was visiting Washington?

Wouldn't he put them over the roster limit for washed up running backs?

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Westbrook>>>Lamont Jordan

dogfish
05-12-2010, 01:59 PM
this is good, very good. . .

not that i necessarily think westbrook is a great pickup at this point in his career, but i was just complaining about our utter lack of depth at the position in the buckhalter thread. . . i've been hoping we'd bring in another veteran back. . . westbrook's health IS a serious concern, but at least we know the guy can play, and his receiving skills would fit well here. . .

if we don't sign him, i'd like to see us take a look at justin fargas, or maybe ladell betts. . .

broncophan
05-12-2010, 02:01 PM
signing him would be great............................................. ..........if it was 5 years ago

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2010, 02:05 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5183677

Fresh from his visit with the Washington Redskins, former Philadelphia Eagles running back Brian Westbrook is now en route to Denver to visit the Broncos.

Westbrook, an unrestricted free agent, is scheduled to arrive in Denver on Wednesday night and spend Thursday meeting with Broncos officials and coaches.

On Wednesday, Westbrook met with Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, amongst others.

"He had a really positive visit with the Redskins," said Westbrook's agent, Todd France. "We're confident we're going to find the perfect fit."

Westbrook, who was released by the Eagles in February, has passed a physical with the St. Louis Rams, where he also has a familiarity with offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur, a former Eagles assistant.

Westbrook's ailments that have passed physical screenings include knee and ankle injuries, as well as multiple concussions.

slim
05-12-2010, 02:08 PM
Westbrook>>>Lamont Jordan

Insert Name Here >>> Lamont Jordan

Lonestar
05-12-2010, 02:09 PM
not an issues IF he gets a reasonable contract.

I think the mastermind used to say you can never have to many RB's and LB's.

dogfish
05-12-2010, 02:11 PM
signing him would be great............................................. ..........if it was 5 years ago

too bad he wasn't available then, but even now he's better than anyone we have behind buck (buck was backing him up before last year). . . bruce hall and lance ball? may as well be larry, curly and moe. . .

granted, RB is probably the easiest position on the field to fill, and we've seen over the years (especially here in denver) that you can get production out of average backs if your line's effective. . . but. . . those street free agent types are always going to be available. . .

i'd feel a LOT more comfortable going into the season with at least one more proven option. . . westbrook is only 30, and he averaged 4.5 YPC last year. . . if our medical team feels that he's fully over the concussion, it's obvious that he can still contribute. . .

broncofaninfla
05-12-2010, 02:12 PM
Brian Westbrook will visit the Broncos next (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/12/brian-westbrook-will-visit-the-broncos-next/)

Posted by Mike Florio on May 12, 2010 2:55 PM ET
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/assets_c/2010/05/NFL_Westbrook-thumb-250x185-11357.jpg (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/NFL_Westbrook.jpg)By all appearances, the Redskins gave running back Brian Westbrook a courtesy visit, aimed at getting his name out in circulation so that someone else will become interested.

If that was the goal, it worked.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that Westbrook will now visit the Broncos.

"He had a really positive visit with the Redskins," agent Todd France told Schefter. "We're confident we're going to find the perfect fit."

In this regard, the "perfect fit" will be a team inclined to sign an aging player with a potentially wrecked knee and a concussion problem that could make him unavailable for long stretches of the 2010 season.

broncofaninfla
05-12-2010, 02:15 PM
If we didn't already have two gimpy vets on the roster I'd like to see Denver sign him. Denver needs more depth at that position just not sure how much Westbrook has left in his tank and how well he would actually hold up.............

BigBroncLove
05-12-2010, 02:19 PM

not that i necessarily think westbrook is a great pickup at this point in his career, but i was just complaining about our utter lack of depth at the position in the buckhalter thread. . . i've been hoping we'd bring in another veteran back. . . westbrook's health IS a serious concern, but at least we know the guy can play, and his receiving skills would fit well here. . .

if we don't sign him, i'd like to see us take a look at justin fargas, or maybe ladell betts. . .

I agree. I do like westbrooks ability of play, but as you said and is obvious at this point in westbrooks career, that injury timeline he has had these last three years does make you a little unsettled. I will be honest, I prefer Justin Fargas personally. I think Westbrook is a little more effective in open field and mid down situations (and obviously is far more valuable as a receiving RB), but his power at the point of attack has diminished these past few years and that's where I see the Broncos needing the most help. Plus Fargas, while injured last year, does not have the same track record of issues that Westbrook has. I just don't know how comfortable I would be with three backs with major durability issues behind Moreno (who runs harder then his body is prepared for at times). Fargas lacks a lot of talent but he does a lot with his motor and heart, and he sees the field very clearly. Honestly though, either of them would be okay with me.

Also I'm quietly optimistic about Toney Baker from NC State coming in as an undrafted rookie free agent. Guy is speedy with plenty of power. Has a few durability issues as well and needs to seriously address ball security but if you get a chance to check out the NCstate highlight videos (and can endure the terrible music tied to the highlights) theres some flashes of greatness in there. Hopefully it translates into something in the NFL.

WARHORSE
05-12-2010, 02:30 PM
I would like the signing.

I think he still has something to offer and would be a good backup should Buck or Moreno go down.

Let him earn a spot if he can. No harm done.:coffee:

silkamilkamonico
05-12-2010, 03:52 PM
No thanks.

We don't need another injury prone RB.

LordTrychon
05-12-2010, 04:05 PM
*shrug*

It'd be an interesting reunion.

Buck and Westbrook already have some chemistry in trying to time their injuries separately... so we could hope that worked out. :D

ikillz0mbies
05-12-2010, 04:07 PM
I wouldn't mind if he was signed. IF healthy, and that's a big if, he is a great receiver out of the backfield and a good blocker. I doubt he would have the same workload amount as Buckhalter. I see him as a 3rd down running back. Plus, another veteran doesn't hurt the locker room, especially the young rookies on offense. Sign him and see if he makes it through camp.

getlynched47
05-12-2010, 04:14 PM
Sooo......why do we want a glass-back?

Do we all need to be reminded again of how frustrating it is having runningbacks made out of glass? Ryan Torain? Selvin Young? Correll Buckhalter?

I hope we don't sign Westbrook. He's washed up.

Denver Native (Carol)
05-12-2010, 04:55 PM
http://twitter.com/adam_schefter

Sounds like Denver is serious on RB Brian Westbrook, who suddenly has options with the Broncos, Redskins, Rams and who knows who else.

Ziggy
05-12-2010, 04:58 PM
Westbrook would be a great to have in camp. If he still has some talent and can stay healthy, he can be our third back. If not, we can cut him for probably next to nothing.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-12-2010, 05:04 PM
He, in tandem with bucky could teach knowshon alot.

LoyalSoldier
05-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Do I want westbrook? No

Would I be opposed to getting him? Nope.

camdisco24
05-12-2010, 05:34 PM
Personally I think it'd be great to have him behind Knowshon.
Experience on the roster is never a bad thing, but his injuries are a big concern...
I say give it a go if the price is right.

dogfish
05-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Westbrook would be a great to have in camp. If he still has some talent and can stay healthy, he can be our third back. If not, we can cut him for probably next to nothing.

honestly, there's no reason to think he couldn't be our second back-- if buckhalter beat him out, it would be the first time in about half a dozen tries. . .

HORSEPOWER 56
05-12-2010, 05:45 PM
This is the Brian Westbrook, right? Barring injury, this guy would be the best RB on our roster from day one. I know that there are a lot of Moreno fans (I'm one of them) and Buck fans, but it's not like Westbrook was playing poorly when he was released. He has and will have concussion concerns due to past history, but the guy is still extremely talented.

He would be a very nice addition to the roster.

WARHORSE
05-12-2010, 05:59 PM
4.5 ypc last year when he did play.

So if his health is an issue, keeping him as a failsafe is the best thing.

He knows the game inside and out. He will pick up the blitz.

He can still move the chains.

As an insurance policy against injury, hes a good pickup as long as hes not too expensive.

weazel
05-12-2010, 06:35 PM
I like Westbrook, always have. ...But he is a walking injury.

T.K.O.
05-12-2010, 06:45 PM
did'nt we resign jj arrington to be our 3rd back ?
2 years in a row there must be something the team likes about the dude?
but westbrook would be a huge + if he's healthy...but somebody would have to go.....who?

dogfish
05-12-2010, 06:50 PM
in most cases i would be in 100% agreement with the people who are concerned about his durability, but in this case, we really have absolutely nothing to lose. . .

it's a high-reward, no-risk scenario. . . if we bring him in and he can stay healthy, we add a productive talent on the cheap. . . if we bring him in and he gets hurt, what have we lost? a roster spot for bruce hall or lance ball? no biggie. . . those guys aren't going anywhere-- we can always go back and re-sign one of them if westbrook does get hurt. . .

TXBRONC
05-12-2010, 06:59 PM

I wouldn't mind picking up Westbrook, if has anything left in the tank he could be useful in 3rd down packages and picking up a few carries here and there. OTOH Betts and Fargas might be better pick ups at this point.

nevcraw
05-12-2010, 07:30 PM
don't see the downside.. iffy running game at best right now and no one but scrubs would be losing carries..

honz
05-12-2010, 08:15 PM
If he gets hurt, so what? Put him on IR and re-sign Lance Ball.

OaklandRaider
05-12-2010, 08:41 PM
Don't the Broncos already have an injury prone, 30 something year old RB to back up Khowshon in Correll Buckhalter?

I don't think this would be a good signing. Westbrook needs to retire. One more hit to the head, and his after football life could be seriously messed up.

rcsodak
05-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Fargas would LOVE to run against the faiduhs!

He'd definitely push KM! Either KM would improve or he'll find himself the #2.

rcsodak
05-12-2010, 10:51 PM
too bad he wasn't available then, but even now he's better than anyone we have behind buck (buck was backing him up before last year). . . bruce hall and lance ball? may as well be larry, curly and moe. . .

granted, RB is probably the easiest position on the field to fill, and we've seen over the years (especially here in denver) that you can get production out of average backs if your line's effective. . . but. . . those street free agent types are always going to be available. . .

i'd feel a LOT more comfortable going into the season with at least one more proven option. . . westbrook is only 30, and he averaged 4.5 YPC last year. . . if our medical team feels that he's fully over the concussion, it's obvious that he can still contribute. . .

I think you'd be hard pressed to find someone in the medical field that would say ANYBODY gets over multiple concussions, dog.
Ask Trent Green. They just become easier to receive, it seems.

Tempus Fugit
05-12-2010, 11:53 PM
I'm sure that if I looked hard enough, I'd find a downside to a team bringing in Westbrook as a running back competing for a job. However, unless the doctors say that he's not able to return because of concussion repercussions, I don't know why I'd even bother looking.

He'd be a worthwhile signing.

Broncolingus
05-13-2010, 10:32 AM
Yes, it is stupid for me to even say this, but certainly Westbrook is worth a look...

...IF he can stay healthy.

TXBRONC
05-13-2010, 10:42 AM
Yes, it is stupid for me to even say this, but certainly Westbrook is worth a look...

...IF he can stay healthy.

The rub is we wont know if he can stay healthy unless we sign him.

Broncolingus
05-13-2010, 10:44 AM
The rub is we wont know if he can stay healthy unless we sign him.

Yeah, I agree...

...crystal ball time again.

EastCoastBronco
05-13-2010, 11:40 AM
Sign him for a year and go from there. None of our backs seem to be able to stay healthy for an entire year anyway so what's the big deal?

camdisco24
05-13-2010, 12:58 PM
I beginning to think he's gonna be a Bronco more and more.
Of course the visit is the first indicator, but his good friends and ex-teammates are here. (B-Dawk and Buck) I don't know how he feels about a reunion, but if I we're him, I think it'd be pretty cool. Maybe coming to the mile-high city will be his opportunity to use everything thats left in his tank. Yesterday I said I think it'd be ok, now I want him. Its worth the risk IMO.

TXBRONC
05-13-2010, 01:02 PM
I beginning to think he's gonna be a Bronco more and more.
Of course the visit is the first indicator, but his good friends and ex-teammates are here. (B-Dawk and Buck) I don't know how he feels about a reunion, but if I we're him, I think it'd be pretty cool. Maybe coming to the mile-high city will be his opportunity to use everything thats left in his tank. Yesterday I said I think it'd be ok, now I want him. Its worth the risk IMO.

He also visit with the Redskins coming up IIRC.

camdisco24
05-13-2010, 01:16 PM
He also visit with the Redskins coming up IIRC.

Yeah, and thats the only thing that worries me. He's got Buck and B-Dawk here, and McNabb there. Who does he reunite with??

We all know Shanny isn't afraid to have depth at the Rb position so we'll have to wait and see who wants him more. The rams are not out of the picture either.

WARHORSE
05-13-2010, 04:08 PM
Buck and Moreno could lose carries if Westbrook is signed.

The competition will be fierce.

And thats a good thing.

Arringtons versatility in the return game would be crucial to his making a return, but does anyone remember that Westbrook is one of the better K.O. and punt returners in the league when healthy?

The Fleagulls just stopped using him there. In a third back role, he could be an option as well, and hes better than Arrington if healthy.

We shall see.......:coffee:

BigBroncLove
05-13-2010, 06:02 PM
Interest in Brian Westbrook was slow to develop this offseason, but has picked up rapidly.

Westbrook visited his third team since the draft and second this week on Thursday when he wrapped up a visit with the Broncos. It appears he's satisfied medical questions about him.

"He's healthy now, and that's a really important part for him and everyone else concerned," Josh McDaniels told Lindsey Jones of the Denver Post regarding Westbrook Thursday. "So we'll see where it goes."

Westbrook met with the Redskins for "exploratory meetings" on Wednesday and sat down with the Rams a few weeks ago. Washington G.M. Bruce Allen said, "We'll probably have some meetings down the road."

McDaniels also suggested Westbrook won't be signing soon. "He's in no hurry."

Westbrook also probably isn't getting the contract offer he's hoping for or he'd make a decision.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/13/mcdaniels-on-westbrook-hes-healthy/

TXBRONC
05-14-2010, 07:53 AM
McDaniels thinks the meeting with Westbrook went well FWIW.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15080535

RB Westbrook's meeting with Broncos in Denver goes well
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 05/13/2010 04:32:51 PM MDT
Updated: 05/13/2010 05:33:32 PM MDT

Veteran free agent running back Brian Westbrook met with Broncos officials at Dove Valley today about the possibility of joining the team for the 2010 season. Westbrook, who spent eight years with the Philadelphia Eagles, also has visited the Rams and the Redskins.

"We had a great meeting with him," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said after delivering the keynote speech at the scholarship luncheon for the John Lynch Foundation. "He's not in a hurry. He's a talented player, but certainly we wanted to do our research, so we got him in here. We had an opportunity to speak with him. He's a great person, a great football player and he's healthy now."

Westbrook played in only eight games last season because he suffered two concussions, but McDaniels said the Broncos "feel pretty good" about Westbrook's current health.

"I think he fits in with the molds of our backs. They're not one dimensional and he certainly isn't either. If we have the opportunity to add him we just think it would make our football team better."

TXBRONC
05-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Yeah, and thats the only thing that worries me. He's got Buck and B-Dawk here, and McNabb there. Who does he reunite with??

We all know Shanny isn't afraid to have depth at the Rb position so we'll have to wait and see who wants him more. The rams are not out of the picture either.

I would guess that Westbrook might prefer working with his former quarterback. But I bet it comes down to where he believes he'll get the best opportunity for playing time.

G8trBronc
05-14-2010, 08:18 AM
Damaged goods. One good shot to the head and he's concussed again. The sad truth is that is the reason why Philly let him go.

CoachChaz
05-14-2010, 10:56 AM
As was said in a previous post...give me Ladell Betts instead

Lonestar
05-16-2010, 03:13 PM
RB Westbrook's meeting with Broncos in Denver goes well
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
POSTED: 05/13/2010 04:32:51 PM MDT
UPDATED: 05/13/2010 05:33:32 PM MDT

Running back Brian Westbrook, right (AP)
Veteran free agent running back Brian Westbrook met with Broncos officials at Dove Valley today about the possibility of joining the team for the 2010 season. Westbrook, who spent eight years with the Philadelphia Eagles, also has visited the Rams and the Redskins.

"We had a great meeting with him," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said after delivering the keynote speech at the scholarship luncheon for the John Lynch Foundation. "He's not in a hurry. He's a talented player, but certainly we wanted to do our research, so we got him in here. We had an opportunity to speak with him. He's a great person, a great football player and he's healthy now."

Westbrook played in only eight games last season because he suffered two
concussions, but McDaniels said the Broncos "feel pretty good" about Westbrook's current health.

"I think he fits in with the molds of our backs. They're not one dimensional and he certainly isn't either. If we have the opportunity to add him we just think it would make our football team better."

Lonestar
05-20-2010, 02:22 PM
No decision on Westbrook yet
By LINDSAY JONES
Add a comment
Print
TOPICS
Brian Dawkins, Brian Westbrook
Veteran free agent running back Brian Westbrook remains just that: A free agent.

Westbrook spent last week flying across the country to meet first with the Washington Redskins and then here with the Denver Broncos.

Redskins coach Mike Shanahan told reporters in Washington today that Westbrook is “looking at his options,” and that both sides remain in communication. Broncos coach Josh McDaniels spoke glowingly about Westbrook late last week. McDaniels was not available for comment Wednesday.

But Brian Dawkins was. Dawkins and Westbrook were teammates for seven years in Philadelphia, and Dawkins said he has spoken to Westbrook about the possibility of Westbrook joining him in Denver.

“He’s just one of those dynamic guys that at any given second, he’ll be the reason you win the football game,” Dawkins said. “He can do so many things for our team and for our offense, that if that did happen, it would add a whole lot to this team.”
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2010/05/19/no-decision-on-westbrook-yet/