PDA

View Full Version : Hillis-- Due Diligence Report

Superchop 7
05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
At Arkansas, he blocked for McFadden and Jones.

He also played the following positions during his career,

Fullback
Tailback
H-Back
Tight End
Wide Receiver
Punt Returner

Of his rushing yards, almost half came after contact (hard to bring down)

Of his 537 receiving yards, 201 were YAC.

He had 52 knockdown blocks.

Simply put, this is something we haven't seen before.

The defense has to account for him.

Oh, and the mind games we can play.:salute:

Sometimes I wonder if the Broncos put this offense together or Mike Martz did.

Everywhere you turn there's a weapon.

TXBRONC
05-14-2008, 11:00 PM
I hope he can develop into a solid NFL caliber blocking fullback with running and pass catching skills.

scott.475
05-14-2008, 11:53 PM
Howard Griffith v2.0...:pray:

Brand
05-15-2008, 12:04 AM
Don't remember seeing one like him in Denver, although Griffith came close. I think of the fullback that played for Sandy Eggo - Neal, I believe - as being the type I'd like to see in Denver. I am sure there are other examples as well, but it seems to me that the Broncos have gotten away from having the true fullback in their Offense over the past three or four years. Kyle Johnson tried and I was sorry to have seen him be dismissed from the team.

Maybe there will be a change in the Offensive philosophy. I wonder where that change might have been suggested. Heimerdinger was a believer in throwing the ball, but Shanahan is a running game coach, and that leads to moving towards bigger Olinemen. The troubles in the red zone - particularly with goal to go situations - showed a lack of running proficiency and the limits of the smaller Olinemen. So, I think we saw a couple of efforts to address that problem along with the STs and WRs.

I am getting excited for the Camps to start.....

Stargazer
05-15-2008, 12:14 AM

Hopefully Griff on steroids.

We'll see if he makes the team.

shank
05-15-2008, 12:48 AM

i'll be upset if he doesn't make the team. rbs have been making the team as fullbacks for too long now, if a real fb (especially one as ridiculously versatile as hillis) can't make the team, then something is basted with lamesauce.

hillis for starting FB!

O-ManePunisher
05-15-2008, 12:52 AM

:pray: :pray: :pray:

SOCALORADO.
05-15-2008, 12:59 AM

He'll make the team..........cmon! sheeeeesh!!!
Show some :love:

05-15-2008, 01:15 AM
Simply put, this is something we haven't seen before.

The defense has to account for him.

Oh, and the mind games we can play.:salute:

Drinking the kool-aid, are ya?

Lets see if his game can even translate to the pros before we start saying defenses have to 'account for him'.

Set realistic expectations and you will be disappointed less.

Remember. Baby steps.

http://www.bennadel.com/resources/uploads/bill_murray_what_about_bob_i_feel_good.jpg

topscribe
05-15-2008, 01:58 AM
Drinking the kool-aid, are ya?

Lets see if his game can even translate to the pros before we start saying defenses have to 'account for him'.

Set realistic expectations and you will be disappointed less.

Remember. Baby steps.

http://www.bennadel.com/resources/uploads/bill_murray_what_about_bob_i_feel_good.jpg

I'm with ya.

So what are realistic expectations? Do we know yet?

If not, I'd prefer to set them high. Just sayin' . . .

-----

honz
05-15-2008, 02:09 AM
Baby steps into college stardom.

Baby steps into the NFL Draft.

Baby steps into the Broncos locker room.

Baby steps onto the playing field on Sundays.

Baby steps into 7 consecutive Pro Bowls.:elefant:

JoeF
05-15-2008, 02:55 AM
http://http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/af/What_About_Bob.jpg
Baby steps into college stardom.

Baby steps into the NFL Draft.

Baby steps into the Broncos locker room.

Baby steps onto the playing field on Sundays.

Baby steps into 7 consecutive Pro Bowls.:elefant:

So, in this scenario he grows in leaps n bounds via baby steps.
Then, who is playing DR LEO MARVIN?

Superchop 7
05-15-2008, 05:42 AM
I'm not making excuses for him.

He has the talent.

My expectations are for him to succeed.

Npba900
05-15-2008, 06:12 AM
Hillis and Aldridge will make the team and be two of the steals in the draft. The 2008 draft maybe better than the 2006 draft

Clady, Powell, Royal, Torain, Hillis, and Alridge will have impacts this season.

Tned
05-15-2008, 06:50 AM
Remember. Baby steps.

Love that movie :D

Nomad
05-15-2008, 06:57 AM
Hillis and Aldridge will make the team and be two of the steals in the draft. The 2008 draft maybe better than the 2006 draft

Clady, Powell, Royal, Torain, Hillis, and Alridge will have impacts this season.

I like the optimism! Why draft a guy if a team thinks they'll be a bust. Hillis has all the ingredients to be a great fullback/utility player, and I hope people give him the benefit of the doubt before shooting him down. I'm taking the wait-and-see approach for all of the new players.

Tned
05-15-2008, 07:03 AM
I like the optimism! Why draft a guy if a team thinks they'll be a bust. Hillis has all the ingredients to be a great fullback/utility player, and I hope people give him the benefit of the doubt before shooting him down. I'm taking the wait-and-see approach for all of the new players.

Like many of these guys, he is first going to have to prove himself on special teams, whether that is in training camp/pre-season or in the season too.

TXBRONC
05-15-2008, 07:16 AM

I like his chances of making the team better than i do Mike Bell's chances.

Nomad
05-15-2008, 07:17 AM
Like many of these guys, he is first going to have to prove himself on special teams, whether that is in training camp/pre-season or in the season too.

He should do fine and he's a hard worker.

One good thing out of all this is at least LSU won't have to face him the day after Thanksgiving anymore!:D

cmhargrove
05-15-2008, 08:57 AM

I think Andre Hall has a much better chance of making the team than Mike Bell, and I think Andre needs to have a great TC and Preseason to make the team.

At least Hall was productive when he was in the game (like the Titans game). And, Hall does well on ST and actually makes some pretty good tackles on kickoffs.

I would be totally comfortable with Andre Hall in the backfield, he has shown nothing to knock my confidence. The only thing we haven't seen is whether he can be a starting back for an entire game.

After his first season, Bell has totally caved in. I love the kid, I wanted him to succeed, but he's toast. The most we could do is feature him a little in the preseason and see if he's worth a seventh round pick to another team before the final roster cuts.

cmhargrove
05-15-2008, 09:04 AM
About Hillis, I think he is an all around playmaker. Honestly, this kid is a rocket out of the backfield. I totally underestimated this kid's speed and especially his pass catching ability. Our coaches need to bend a little of the playbook to his skills, instead of just trying to hammer him into the lame mold they have used for Sapp and KJ. Hillis should be as good of a blocker as either Sapp or KJ, and a much more potent offensive weapon (that's where his real value lies IMO).

Love the highlights:
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CI8jgpz_K_g&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CI8jgpz_K_g&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

How do I embed video?
I'm used to just copying and pasting, but that doesn't seem to work on this board. Can anyone help me with embedding video?

Ziggy
05-15-2008, 09:10 AM
Don't remember seeing one like him in Denver, although Griffith came close. I think of the fullback that played for Sandy Eggo - Neal, I believe - as being the type I'd like to see in Denver. I am sure there are other examples as well, but it seems to me that the Broncos have gotten away from having the true fullback in their Offense over the past three or four years. Kyle Johnson tried and I was sorry to have seen him be dismissed from the team.

Maybe there will be a change in the Offensive philosophy. I wonder where that change might have been suggested. Heimerdinger was a believer in throwing the ball, but Shanahan is a running game coach, and that leads to moving towards bigger Olinemen. The troubles in the red zone - particularly with goal to go situations - showed a lack of running proficiency and the limits of the smaller Olinemen. So, I think we saw a couple of efforts to address that problem along with the STs and WRs.

I am getting excited for the Camps to start.....

None of us really know why the Broncos went away from using the FB in the offense on a regular basis. Some say it's because Shanny had a change in philosiphy and that him and most of the rest of the NFL has removed the roll of a pure FB. Others, like myself, think that it's because he hasn't had the right man for the job since Howard Griffith left.

The closest thing we've had to a true blocking FB since Griffith was Kyle Johnson. He had the right attitude, but was an average blocker at best. Even so, he saw his share of time on the field for a while. If Hillis turns out to be a good blocker, I think we'll see him on the field quite a bit. Not only in that traditional FB role, but being moved in motion to split out wide, and in one back sets on obvious passing downs. He showed in college that he can take on a blocking role, and still be a weapon. He has the unselfishness and attitude you look for in a FB, with the speed of a big tailback. He also has very good hands.

Those of us who remember this offense in it's heyday remember just how important Howard Griffith was to TD's success and our 2 Super Bowl winning seasons. If Hillis can block, Shanny will be able to open up another 20 or so pages in the old playbook.

frauschieze
05-15-2008, 09:18 AM
How do I embed video?
I'm used to just copying and pasting, but that doesn't seem to work on this board. Can anyone help me with embedding video?

The only video you can embed is Youtube. Just use the video number in youtube brackets.

Requiem / The Dagda
05-15-2008, 10:34 AM
The kid is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. He's the perfect fit for the WCO and can contribute in a myriad of ways. He'll bring a dimension to this team that we haven't seen for a while at the position. :salute:

cmhargrove
05-15-2008, 11:39 AM
The only video you can embed is Youtube. Just use the video number in youtube brackets.

Let's try that again...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI8jgpz_K_g

cmhargrove
05-15-2008, 11:43 AM
None of us really know why the Broncos went away from using the FB in the offense on a regular basis. Some say it's because Shanny had a change in philosiphy and that him and most of the rest of the NFL has removed the roll of a pure FB. Others, like myself, think that it's because he hasn't had the right man for the job since Howard Griffith left.

The closest thing we've had to a true blocking FB since Griffith was Kyle Johnson. He had the right attitude, but was an average blocker at best. Even so, he saw his share of time on the field for a while. If Hillis turns out to be a good blocker, I think we'll see him on the field quite a bit. Not only in that traditional FB role, but being moved in motion to split out wide, and in one back sets on obvious passing downs. He showed in college that he can take on a blocking role, and still be a weapon. He has the unselfishness and attitude you look for in a FB, with the speed of a big tailback. He also has very good hands.

Those of us who remember this offense in it's heyday remember just how important Howard Griffith was to TD's success and our 2 Super Bowl winning seasons. If Hillis can block, Shanny will be able to open up another 20 or so pages in the old playbook.

I think the Broncos left the FB for the TE a few years back. We had little talent at FB, while the TE's were pretty decent. And, we used the TE as a hybrid fullback after Droughns became the starting tailback. I know we did that out of necessity, but I thought it had real potential in the gameplan. I would still be excited to see Scheffler or Graham line up in the backfield and see how they would do at FB. They could block with a head of steam, or catch dump passes in the flat. It could take some heat off Cutler.

Anyway, Hillis is now a FB that can pass catch like a TE, so we might have some interesting times ahead. I like his potential.

SOCALORADO.
05-15-2008, 12:00 PM
The kid is a jack of all trades, but a master of none. He's the perfect fit for the WCO and can contribute in a myriad of ways. He'll bring a dimension to this team that we haven't seen for a while at the position. :salute:

DING! Give the man his prize!

G_Money
05-15-2008, 03:14 PM
Hillis may be a better RB prospect than Torain. I'm not discounting anything he could do.

Being a 3rd back behind DMC and Jones, in a system that is not tailored for your style of running, is not a crime.

If Jerome Bettis played at Arkansas, in that scheme, he would have been a fullback too.

The Broncos LOVE to have an accomplished blocker as lead RB so they can leave him on the field on passing downs, to give themselves more options. Hillis isn't the best blocker in the world, but he probably is the best blocker amongst the RBs on the team - and once we teach him how to block the way we want he should excel.

That - and his receiving skills and ability to break tackles once he's holding the ball - will get him on the field on 3rd and longs. If he can hold on to the football when in traffic then we'll see if he can get on the field on 3rd and short.

It's a very short journey from being the back entrusted with 3rd-and-short, and third-and-ten, to being the one toting the rock on a lot of 1st and 2nd downs...

I'm not sold on his ability to hold onto the ball (he can be careless with it from the plays I saw) but if he can clean that up he really does have a LOT more offensive upside than most guys labeled "FB" in college.

I'm looking forward to seeing him run over some poor CB and stiff-arm the LB to get the 1st down.

If Torain also happens to work out, even better - talk about a great running attack when you have thunder and more thunder as your 2 main options - but I really like the chances Hillis has to be a first year player that allows us to incorporate changes to our offensive attack simply by the plusses he brings to the table.

Doesn't happen with a lot of first year "weapons," especially those drafted late.

~G

honz
05-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Mike Bell even fumbles in Madden...he fumbled 3 times on 10 carries once.:tsk:

TXBRONC
05-15-2008, 05:21 PM
Mike Bell even fumbles in Madden...he fumbled 3 times on 10 carries once.:tsk:

Delete his ass. :lol:

elsid13
05-15-2008, 05:31 PM
Before everyone get to excited remember a) we are going to see more two TE sets to level up the 3/4 defense (meaning less need of FB) b) he a 7th rounder that going have to show that he understand a complex pass blocking scheme.

I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't cut and brought back on PS.

gobroncsnv
05-15-2008, 06:26 PM

Man, we could only hope!!!!!!! Grips was a PLOW!

rcsodak
05-15-2008, 07:54 PM

I'm with ya. But there are still some on here that think the FB is 'old school', and that's what TE's are for.

I guess one needs to have been around back in the heydays, when Griff was blasting holes for TD to know the difference, though. Too bad for them. ;)

I posted Hillis' bio, pre-draft....and was happy to see Shanny pull the string. Guess us 'old farts' ain't so dumm after all. :laugh:

rcsodak
05-15-2008, 08:04 PM

That's why I suggested him to Mike. :coffee:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=213836&postcount=17

Buff
05-15-2008, 08:34 PM
That's why I suggested him to Mike. :coffee:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=213836&postcount=17

I don't know what the bigger shocker is, the fact that you had that good of foresight, or the fact that you suggested someone other than an Okie Sooner... :laugh:

rcsodak
05-15-2008, 09:26 PM
I don't know what the bigger shocker is, the fact that you had that good of foresight, or the fact that you suggested someone other than an Okie Sooner... :laugh:

*cough*

Did you NOT see who the next kicker is? :D

Watchthemiddle
05-15-2008, 09:30 PM
As far as I am concerned, he can blow up special teams.

Plain and simple, he is a football player. We need a hard nosed punch you in the mouth presence on this offense.

Maybe he will be the next GREAT 7th rounder to put on Broncos gear.

Buff
05-15-2008, 09:31 PM
*cough*

Did you NOT see who the next kicker is? :D

Yeah, I'll take him, but Lofton's the one I wanted...

slim
05-15-2008, 09:36 PM

smh...there is no way you can maintain the regimen I prescribed for you and continue to post here. You really need to take a look at what is important to you.

rcsodak
05-15-2008, 09:44 PM

True that. But maybe Shanny'll get a certain OU DT in next year's draft. Can't have too many.....;)

TXBRONC
05-15-2008, 09:57 PM
I'm with ya. But there are still some on here that think the FB is 'old school', and that's what TE's are for.

I guess one needs to have been around back in the heydays, when Griff was blasting holes for TD to know the difference, though. Too bad for them. ;)

I posted Hillis' bio, pre-draft....and was happy to see Shanny pull the string. Guess us 'old farts' ain't so dumm after all. :laugh:

Well if fullback is 'old school' I'm all for it. Wasn't just two years ago that LT set the record most rushing touchdowns in a season and that was with an 'old school fullback.'

Tned
05-15-2008, 10:16 PM
Ok, I know it's the offseason, and I am threadjacking a little, but we have to figure a way to pump up the football talk. There are only so many pics of hot woman I can look at in the lounge ;) Ok, there are never enough, but still...

So, with Hillis, did he lead the team in receiving the last two years because he is a hell of a receiver, or because they had no other receiving options (Monk hurt at times) and crap for QBs?

What about this yards after contact stuff. Anyone that watched Hillis much (only sparinly on my part, as few games were televised), do we have a Tom Rathman type FB, who can catch the ball and when he is running with it, whether a reception or carry, refuses to go down?

I think the Giants or Jets in the late '80s, early '90s had one of those types. A FB, but also almost an H-back being able to fill multiple roles.

So, does anyone think Hillis has the potential to be that type of FB, or just more of the same that we have seen at the position (KJ, Sapp, Anderson) in converted RB's stuck at the FB position?

TXBRONC
05-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Ok, I know it's the offseason, and I am threadjacking a little, but we have to figure a way to pump up the football talk. There are only so many pics of hot woman I can look at in the lounge ;) Ok, there are never enough, but still...

So, with Hillis, did he lead the team in receiving the last two years because he is a hell of a receiver, or because they had no other receiving options (Monk hurt at times) and crap for QBs?

What about this yards after contact stuff. Anyone that watched Hillis much (only sparinly on my part, as few games were televised), do we have a Tom Rathman type FB, who can catch the ball and when he is running with it, whether a reception or carry, refuses to go down?

I think the Giants or Jets in the late '80s, early '90s had one of those types. A FB, but also almost an H-back being able to fill multiple roles.

So, does anyone think Hillis has the potential to be that type of FB, or just more of the same that we have seen at the position (KJ, Sapp, Anderson) in converted RB's stuck at the FB position?

Since I don't know much about the Razorbacks I don't what to say about his receiving numbers other than you still have to catch the ball and if he was the only option that they trusted the most well I think that says something right there.

Hillis has edge over guys like Sapp and Bell because he has actually been a fullback before he came to the pros so he has a little idea what the position entails. I think he's going make the team and I also think he has chance to be the starting fullback at some point.

Watchthemiddle
05-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Since I don't know much about the Razorbacks I don't what to say about his receiving numbers other than you still have to catch the ball and if he was the only option that they trusted the most well I think that says something right there.

Hillis has edge over guys like Sapp and Bell because he has actually been a fullback before he came to the pros so he has a little idea what the position entails. I think he's going make the team and I also think he has chance to be the starting fullback at some point.

Where is Arkansas Bronco when you need him??

Tned
05-15-2008, 10:39 PM
His numbers aren't half bad:

YEAR ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD FUM LST
2004 63 240 3.8 42 6 12 97 8.1 18 2 0 0
2005 65 315 4.8 32 3 38 402 10.6 45 4 0 0
2006 13 57 4.4 12 1 19 159 8.4 21 0 0 0
2007 62 347 5.6 65 2 49 537 11 34 5 0 0

A 400 yard and 500 yard receiving year both with over 10 YPR out of the FB position, along with averaging 4.7 YPC when rushing.

So, stats don't tell the full story, but beyond whatever blocking he did for McFadden and Jones, he was a fairly productive back in his own right.

TXBRONC
05-15-2008, 10:44 PM

A 400 yard and 500 yard receiving year both with over 10 YPR out of the FB position, along with averaging 4.7 YPC when rushing.

So, stats don't tell the full story, but beyond whatever blocking he did for McFadden and Jones, he was a fairly productive back in his own right.

Do you know if he was injuried in 2006? The reason I ask is because he there such dramatic drop off in production in both rushing and receiving from '05 to '06 and then his number pick right back up again in '07.

Watchthemiddle
05-15-2008, 10:45 PM
Do you know if he was injuried in 2006? The reason I ask is because he there such dramatic drop off in production in both rushing and receiving from '05 to '06 and then his number pick right back up again in '07.

Could have been, but getting a 4 year starter is going to be valuable.

Tned
05-15-2008, 10:48 PM

Not sure if he was injured, but that is the year they brought in QB Mich Mustain from Springdale High School, and made his High school coach the OC. They tried to open things up from the start, running shotgun offenses and such. I think the scheme the new OC ran wasn't suited to much FB production. Then, when that didn't work very well, they started running the wildcat formation (later named the wildhog formation), where the real QB would come into the huddle, but then when they broke the huddle, the QB would go wide to a WR spot, and McFadden would drop into shotgun.

So, I my guess, and someone that followed the backs closer in '06 might tell me I am way off, is that Hillis was kind of shelved in the high flying offense they were trying to run in '06.

rcsodak
05-15-2008, 10:53 PM

ummmm.....

*clears throat*

....yes, yes, yes.....yes....and....yes.

*clears throat*

TXBRONC
05-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Not sure if he was injured, but that is the year they brought in QB Mich Mustain from Springdale High School, and made his High school coach the OC. They tried to open things up from the start, running shotgun offenses and such. I think the scheme the new OC ran wasn't suited to much FB production. Then, when that didn't work very well, they started running the wildcat formation (later named the wildhog formation), where the real QB would come into the huddle, but then when they broke the huddle, the QB would go wide to a WR spot, and McFadden would drop into shotgun.

So, I my guess, and someone that followed the backs closer in '06 might tell me I am way off, is that Hillis was kind of shelved in the high flying offense they were trying to run in '06.

Well overall he was still very productive other than that one year.

rcsodak
05-15-2008, 10:56 PM

The most telling, though, is the last two categories....Fumbles/Lost. ZIPPO!

Tned
05-15-2008, 10:58 PM
The most telling, though, is the last two categories....Fumbles/Lost. ZIPPO!

Good point. 23 TD's and zero lost fumbles.

TXBRONC
05-15-2008, 10:59 PM

Hopefully he takes as good of care of the football at this level as he did at the college level.

G_Money
05-15-2008, 11:42 PM

Not true. I watched him fumble more than once. Fumble stats on websites are usually wrong. I don't think ESPN has anyone at Arkansas losing a fumble in any of the last 3 years.

That's just not true.

For instance:

http://www.thecabin.net/stories/010208/spo_0102080019.shtml

In his final collegiate football game Tuesday, Peyton Hillis rushed for a net of 20 yards on five carries, caught five passes for 52 yards, lost a fumble after a reception and failed to complete his one pass.

"It was frustrating to have it end like this; this is not what you want your final college game to be like" said Hillis, after the Hogs absorbed a 38-7 thumping to Missouri in the AT&T Cotton Bowl. "It's more frustrating to see my teammates lose. It's even more frustrating to see the team lose."

But if you go here:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/gamelog?playerId=161982

And look up his line for the Cotton Bowl at the bottom, it says no lost fumbles.

Don't trust internet fumble stats. Just a word of warning.

Still love the kid. :salute:

~G

G_Money
05-16-2008, 12:01 AM

He was also injured.

Article on Peyton in '06: (http://peytonhillis.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=section&id=1&Itemid=2)

A calcium deposit built up in Hillis' right thigh through the season and put him out of action after the Hogs' 31-14 win over Tennessee. Hillis' return to the team was in question.

Here was a guy who had fast-tracked his own return as a precocious freshman in 2004 after suffering a fractured back vertebrae. Many wondered last year if Hillis was mentally spent playing what appeared to be third fiddle to the Hogs' wondrous tailback duo of Darren McFadden and Felix Jones.

But as the results last year showed, Hillis must be on the field, somewhere, almost all the time. While McFadden may be the Razorbacks' first real threat to win the Heisman Trophy, Hillis must be their player who always takes it for the team while still using his good hands, good feet, strength and vision to make big plays blocking, receiving or running.

McFadden says of Hillis, "He's a great blocker and a great pass catcher and is very important for our offense. A lot of plays revolve around him."

Hillis admits it's been an interesting and up-and-down four years at Fayetteville.

"Yeah, ever since I've been here it seems like I've been plagued with injuries, but I know it ain't true," the Conway native said. "My sophomore year I was healthy and I've just had a couple of freak deals. I can look at it in a negative way, but I try to look at it in a positive way. I look at this year as a new beginning and hopefully a new adjustment that I play in this offense."

Hillis says the thigh injury, which he said occurred when he was hit by a helmet on the thigh fielding a punt in last year's opener against Southern Cal, is now 100 percent healed.

It was, because he played great again this year.

And part of who he is as a man:

Maybe he didn't want to be such a part of it in the past, Hillis says. After a vital freshman year he found himself no longer the top tailback, or even the top backup. His skills fit elsewhere in the offense, but Nutt tried to give Hillis as many touches as he could, including having him return punts. Few teams ever have put a 6-foot-2, 243-pounder in a deep back for punts, but after a couple of shaky moments, Hillis became Mr. Sure Hands and got the Hogs a handful of return yards to boot. Plus, he led the Razorbacks in receptions from the fullback spot in 2005.

Still, Hillis had the belief he could be an I-back for someone else.

"Well, yeah, I'm not going to lie. It's true," he said of considering a transfer, "but God put me in this situation for a reason and I'm going to play to the best of my ability. As much as people say they'd like me to run the ball a whole lot, they're helping me out to become a better fullback blocking for [McFadden and Jones]. I'm trying to look at it the best way I can ... This is my last year, and I have to play the best I can."

Tned
05-16-2008, 06:44 AM
Great stuff G. As I said, I only got to watch handful of games, as each year fewerer Hawg games are televised locally. When I was watching, I will admit to being more focused on Jones and McFadden than the fullback :lol:

So much for the no fumbles. It will be interesting to see how he is used, and how, if at all, he impresses the coaches in TC.

TXBRONC
05-16-2008, 07:23 AM
Great stuff G. As I said, I only got to watch handful of games, as each year fewerer Hawg games are televised locally. When I was watching, I will admit to being more focused on Jones and McFadden than the fullback :lol:

So much for the no fumbles. It will be interesting to see how he is used, and how, if at all, he impresses the coaches in TC.

Mister observant. :D

Lonestar
05-16-2008, 12:39 PM
After watching the video the 243 he is purported to be just does not seem to be accurate.. Either that or everyone else on the field is 230+ themselves..

Superchop 7
05-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Think outside the box.

If you spread the field.

Create a ton of one on ones on offense.

Does he pitch to Selvin going right ?

Or are they setting a screen to Hillis left.

Who the hells got Stokely ?

Who the hells got Scheffler.

Why are they all running fly routes ??

WHERE ARE THE SAFETIES ???????????????????

Sorry, but you just ran out of cover men.

It used to be.

You could take the fullback out of the equation (exception red zone)

Now ya can't.

Our guy can take it to the house.

Sucks to be you.

Game over.

haroldthebarrel
05-16-2008, 12:52 PM
Think outside the box.

If you spread the field.

Create a ton of one on ones on offense.

Does he pitch to Selvin going right ?

Or are they setting a screen to Hillis left.

Who the hells got Stokely ?

Who the hells got Scheffler.

Why are they all running fly routes ??

WHERE ARE THE SAFETIES ???????????????????

Sorry, but you just ran out of cover men.

It used to be.

You could take the fullback out of the equation (exception red zone)

Now ya can't.

Sucks to be you.

Game over.

what he said. if Hillis is a good a pick as I believe him to be, the matchups you describe are moutwatering.

Superchop 7
05-16-2008, 01:03 PM
what he said. if Hillis is a good a pick as I believe him to be, the matchups you describe are moutwatering.

__________________________________________________ _________________________________

He was the number one fullback coming out of college.

Personally,

I wanted Schmitt (for the attitude)

And I don't think I'm wrong for wanting him,

As for the Broncos,

They went with character in "every" position,

They didn't want one Schmitt, (attitude wise) they wanted a bunch,

And they got em,

As for fullback "talent" ?

Thats why scouts get paid.

And I don't.

In the end.

We just picked up the number 1 rated (by actual scouts, not me) fullback in the 7th round.

Gotta love it.

Tned
05-16-2008, 06:16 PM
Mister observant. :D

HEY, in those 5 or 6 televised games, I was usually splitting attention between the game and this forum!!

05-16-2008, 06:34 PM
First and foremost....he HAS to be able to block effectively.

As a FB, job #1 is to protect Cutler and lead block for Henry.

Everything else is possible if he can accomplish this. Otherwise he becomes a 'specialty' finesse player like Aldridge....only suitable for 3rd downs and trick plays.

Personally I am a little sick of being a finesse team on O and on D. I want smash mouth football. Line up and punch the Sparklers in the month. That is why I would have preferred Owen (regardless of WCO adaptability).

2008 Goals for Peyton should be:

1) Stay healthy
2) Make roster
2) Excel at ST
3) Become effective blocker
4) Catch 2-4 touchdowns out in the flat..per Broncos FB playbook.

As sexy as everything else is for all those Madden players out there......it is all gravy if he wants playing time.

TXBRONC
05-16-2008, 06:43 PM
HEY, in those 5 or 6 televised games, I was usually splitting attention between the game and this forum!!

I was kidding Tned.

Tned
05-16-2008, 06:45 PM
I was kidding Tned.

I know :D

Superchop 7
05-18-2008, 03:13 AM
Yeah, on his resume, he has never blocked.

Sucks to be his running back.

To put 2 rb's in the first round,...... just plain lazy.

Ziggy
05-18-2008, 06:22 AM
I wanted Schmitt too, but Hillis can be used in a lot of different ways. He's a great FB for the West Coast Offense.

05-18-2008, 05:11 PM
Yeah, on his resume, he has never blocked.

Sucks to be his running back.

To put 2 rb's in the first round,...... just plain lazy.

Not really sure where you are going with this....

Who said he was lazy....or never blocked?

My point was that when you read his scouting reports, the one area that they tend to criticize ....is his blocking. Like this one from Scott Wright.

Strengths:
Very athletic...Above average timed speed...A fantastic receiver...Smart with good awareness...Displays good technique...Has a non-stop motor...Extremely versatile weapon...Hard worker with top intangibles..Offers a lot of special teams potential.

Weaknesses:
A bit of a FB / RB 'tweener...Doesn't have the type of bulk that you'd prefer...Just an average blocker...Durability is an issue...Not very powerful...Isn't a great short yardage runner...Not very elusive...Probably won't be a good fit for every scheme

The only game I saw of Peytons' this past year in its entirety...was the LSU game. So until I see him suit up for Denver, I will have to factor in comments from those who have scouted him.

Do I think he is a great prospect? Yes!
Excited that the Broncos selected him? Absolutely! Cant wait to see him play.

He needs to see the field though beyond just 3rd down....and that will happen a lot more if he is an above average blocker.

Somebody like Peyton will add a lot of wrinkles to the O and should be exciting to watch....but somebody like a Griffith or Neal will just line up and punch you in the month from the FB position.

Given the choice....I prefer the more physical FB that brings the wood.

It will be very interesting to see if Peyton can be the full time starting FB or if he will be more of a specialty role player similar to what Aldridge is destined for.

Inkana7
05-18-2008, 07:18 PM

My point was that when you read his scouting reports, the one area that they tend to criticize ....is his blocking. Like this one from Scott Wright.

Strengths:
Very athletic...Above average timed speed...A fantastic receiver...Smart with good awareness...Displays good technique...Has a non-stop motor...Extremely versatile weapon...Hard worker with top intangibles..Offers a lot of special teams potential.

Weaknesses:
A bit of a FB / RB 'tweener...Doesn't have the type of bulk that you'd prefer...Just an average blocker...Durability is an issue...Not very powerful...Isn't a great short yardage runner...Not very elusive...Probably won't be a good fit for every scheme

The only game I saw of Peytons' this past year in its entirety...was the LSU game. So until I see him suit up for Denver, I will have to factor in comments from those who have scouted him.

He needs to see the field though beyond just 3rd down....and that will happen a lot more if he is an above average blocker.

Somebody like Peyton will add a lot of wrinkles to the O and should be exciting to watch....but somebody like a Griffith or Neal will just line up and punch you in the month from the FB position.

It will be very interesting to see if Peyton can be the full time starting FB or if he will be more of a specialty role player similar to what Aldridge is destined for.

Didn't he score like 4 TDs that game?

Bronco9798
05-18-2008, 07:27 PM
The guy just needs a little coaching and some reps. He'll be fine. I'm excited to see him. It's amazing what the next level of coaching can do for a guy like him. He has a motor and I'm sure a real desire to learn.

05-18-2008, 08:26 PM
Didn't he score like 4 TDs that game?

Dude was the MAN that game. Single-handedly caused me to get drunk in New Orleans that day.

If he has those types of results.......then it won't matter if he blocks or not.

TXBRONC
05-18-2008, 10:31 PM

Strengths:

Weaknesses:

It will depend on Hillis motivation but if he is motivated his blocking can improve.