PDA

View Full Version : Name Our 2008 Starting Backs

Ziggy
05-14-2008, 12:06 PM
OK, it's the offseason and we're running out of things to talk about. So....once a week I'll start a thread to predict who will be on the opening day roster at different positions. This week it's back-RB's and FB's. Here is my very bold prediction.:D

RB- Henry FB- Hillis
Torrain Sapp
Alridge
Sapp

Henry is the incumbent and after restructuring his contract gives us a bulldozer back and proven NFL veteran until he gets hurt again. I think Torrain impresses in camp and is the solid #2 backup. Alridge replaces Selvin Young as a change of pace back and becomes our second KO and Punt returner behind Royal.

At FB, Hillis helps Shanny to open up the playbook in the redzone with his versatility and blocking. Sapp makes the team for his special teams play and ability to back up both the FB and RB spots.

Mike Bell offers no more to this team than a 3rd back, and is no help on special teams. Hall was makes the team if Henry gets hurt before the season starts. I know that Alridge making the team is quite a stretch, but it gives us speed in both the running game and return game. I think the Broncos go with 5 backs (until or unless injuries hit) to have an extra TE or LB on the roster.

dogfish
05-14-2008, 12:57 PM
tailback:

henry weeks 1-4
young weeks 5-7
henry weeks 8-11
hall week 12
torrain weeks 13-17

fullback

sapp weeks 1-10
hillis weeks 11-17

:laugh:

underrated29
05-14-2008, 12:59 PM
henry
young
torrein
hall
aldridge

Fb- hillis, sapp

If aldridge is all he is cracked up to be I see him instead of young.

cmhargrove
05-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Man, I don't know why everyone is selling Selvin short. Remember, he was a rookie behind a sub-par line last year and was averaging 5.7 YPC. You need to re-watch some video of Selvin before you decide to replace him.

I think another year of offseason conditioning will make him even better. And, I think we have significantly improved our O-line (barring major injuries). I think Travis Henry and Selvin keep their spots. Hillis plays ST so he will be there. Aldridge better show something spectacular to make the roster. Otherwise, we might just give him a year on the practice squad.

Selvin video from December (denverbroncos.com):
javascript:openWindow('page.php?id=349&videoID=2309&type=broncosTV&year=2007&month=12','mmWindow','resizable=no,scrollbars=no,w idth=615,height=580')

Dang, I can't get that to work. follow this link: http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609&year=2007&month=12

Then scroll down to Dec 10th "Young Running With Opportunity." Selvin should be even better this year.

SBboundBRONCOS
05-14-2008, 01:50 PM
henry
torrain
young/hall not sure yet

hillis
sapp

alridge is just too small to play RB, i could see him sticking around as KR, or he goes to the PS

Nature Boy
05-14-2008, 01:54 PM
There was a poll about the who will be our starting TB not to long ago.

O-ManePunisher
05-14-2008, 02:12 PM
RB:Henry
FB:Sapp

NightTrainLayne
05-14-2008, 02:22 PM
If Torrain can work himself into position behing Henry, then that's great news, and we did well drafting him. However, I think Young will be able to hold his #2 position behind Henry for this season.

dogfish
05-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Man, I don't know why everyone is selling Selvin short. Remember, he was a rookie behind a sub-par line last year and was averaging 5.7 YPC. You need to re-watch some video of Selvin before you decide to replace him.

I think another year of offseason conditioning will make him even better. And, I think we have significantly improved our O-line (barring major injuries). I think Travis Henry and Selvin keep their spots. Hillis plays ST so he will be there. Aldridge better show something spectacular to make the roster. Otherwise, we might just give him a year on the practice squad.

Selvin video from December (denverbroncos.com):
javascript:openWindow('page.php?id=349&videoID=2309&type=broncosTV&year=2007&month=12','mmWindow','resizable=no,scrollbars=no,w idth=615,height=580')

Dang, I can't get that to work. follow this link: http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=609&year=2007&month=12

Then scroll down to Dec 10th "Young Running With Opportunity." Selvin should be even better this year.

i would agree with that. . . not that i don't think torrain can be a good back, but people around here have really been gulping the kool aid regarding this guy IMO (no offense intended to anyone). . . young is proven at this level while torrain is not, and i don't think selvin is just going to step aside. . .

obviously, they're different types of backs, and that could factor in. . . young is more of a complimentary back (again, my opinion, but shanahan has publicly stated the same thing), while torrain at least projects as someone with more starter/workhorse potential. . . we'll see how it plays out, but my guess as of right now is that young will be second in line for carries as long as henry is healthy, while he and torrain might split carries fairly evenly once henry gets his inevitable dings and misses time. . . in fact, given the inability of ANY of these guys to ever stay healthy, i expect that we're going to see another full-blown committee situation this year, as much by necessity as design. . . hopefully sharing the load will help reduce the wear and tear on all of them. . .

as for alridge. . . there's no doubt that his speed is very intriguing, but at his size i just can't view him as more than a gimmick type of player who can contribute from time to time in sub packages, but will have to make a big contribution in the return game if he's going to stick on the roster-- at least until he proves otherwise. . .

i do think we've got a stable of backs that can be effective if the rest of the O is working properly, but i'd still vastly prefer to have that real quality starter, that every down, multi-dimensional back that can carry the load and really put the fear into opposing defenses. . . i really hope we put a high priority on finding a true starting tailback going into next year's draft, unless one of our current guys really takes the job and runs with it (no pun intended) this season. . .

Brand
05-14-2008, 03:09 PM
If the new guys work out, Hall will likely be the odd man out, IMO. But, I just cheer for whoever is out there, so what do I know?

I want to see Royal do a reverse......

Nature Boy
05-14-2008, 03:14 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13683

Let's reexamine this poll about who will likely be our starting TB.

My my my, it appears Travis Henry is the overwhelming favorite. Does this mean he is the best RB the team has? Yes, despite all the "Travis Henry sucks" sayers.

Nature Boy
05-14-2008, 03:21 PM
I find it funny that so may people are so high on Ryan Torrain, the 5th rounder whom most you guys never even heard of much less seen on TV. I like him too, but I have him penciled into the back of the line til I can get some camp reports on him. The band wagon really starts early don't it and these are the same people that will be the 1st to jump off as well.

dogfish
05-14-2008, 03:22 PM
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13683

Let's reexamine this poll about who will likely be our starting TB.

My my my, it appears Travis Henry is the overwhelming favorite. Does this mean he is the best RB the team has? Yes, despite all the "Travis Henry sucks" sayers.

OR, it means that he's the most proven, the most experienced, and at this point possibly the most versatile back on the team. . . he's the most familar with NFL duties such as blitz pickup, and he's also the highest-paid back on the roster (although that hasn't necessarily been a big factor with shanahan in the past). . .

but, if he's really the best back on the team, why did selvin young average 5.3 YPC to henry's 4.1 behind the same line, and get the starting nod and more carries down the stretch, even after henry returned from injury?

hmmm. . .

either henry isn't as superior as you think, or he's seriously damaged goods. . . .

Nature Boy
05-14-2008, 03:33 PM
but, if he's really the best back on the team, why did selvin young average 5.3 YPC to henry's 4.1 behind the same line, and get the starting nod and more carries down the stretch, even after henry returned from injury?

hmmm. . .

either henry isn't as superior as you think, or he's seriously damaged goods. . . .

**EDIT**

With all the circumstances that plagued Henry's 2007 season, all I hear is that he sucks. Come on.

Henry never fully recovered from his Knee and ankle last season. After the 4th game, Henry was 70% healthy at best.

dogfish
05-14-2008, 03:35 PM
Henry never fully recovered from his Knee and ankle last season. After the 4th game, Henry was 70% healthy at best.

so, in other words you agree that he's seriously damaged goods-- after all, a guy who can't give you more than three or four good games in a season sure isn't worth much. . .

as much as you defend the guy, i'm starting to think that you're on his payroll. . .

Nature Boy
05-14-2008, 03:40 PM
Every one gets hurt. This is the NFL.

Mike
05-14-2008, 03:41 PM
Every one gets hurt. This is the NFL.

Not everyone gets hurt every year though.

broncohead
05-14-2008, 03:47 PM
**EDIT**

With all the circumstances that plagued Henry's 2007 season, all I hear is that he sucks. Come on.

Young was dinged up last year to wasn't he?

Nature Boy
05-14-2008, 03:50 PM
I'm sure Young was dinged up, but Henry was banged up. Knee and ankle, on the same legg I believe.

Ziggy
05-14-2008, 03:51 PM
There was a poll about the who will be our starting TB not to long ago.

Yes, there was. Next time I'll title the thread, who will be the Backs on our roster on opening day. Perhaps a mod can change the thread title for me. That's really what I was trying to get at and not just name the starting backs. My bad. I have edited my thread entry to reflect the change.

broncohead
05-14-2008, 03:54 PM
I'm sure Young was dinged up, but Henry was banged up. Knee and ankle, on the same legg I believe.

And he is supposed to be the workhorse back when he gets "banged up." I see Henry starting the year but Young or Torrain will eventually take over. Henry won't be around after this year IMO.

cmhargrove
05-14-2008, 04:43 PM
**EDIT**

Don't forget, he most likely had a sore groin for most of the season (ask the nine ladies scattered across the southern US). No wonder he needed a little "medicinal" mary jane...

Superchop 7
05-14-2008, 04:59 PM
I saw Selvin Young.

He is the real deal and "undoubtedly" the best back we've got.

But you have to limit his gametime or risk injury.

I see Bell out.

The real competition will be between Alridge and Hall.

The better special teams player will win.

My philosophy is that you flip flop carries to keep guys fresh, one week your the workhorse, the next week your not. If I have to, I'll pull a hammy on a guy for him if it's in his best interests and prolongs his career.

Timmy!
05-14-2008, 05:28 PM
RB: Henry, Young, Torrain
FB: Sapp, Hillis
ST: Aldridge (maybe)

Ricky
05-14-2008, 05:34 PM
RB:Henry
FB:Sapp
This will be the opening day starters. After that, I hope these two do well enough to not get demoted.

Divinelegion
05-14-2008, 10:39 PM
I think Young suprises eveyone and comes out of camp as the starter. Bobby Turner loves this kid and the only back Bobby turner has invested inthusiasm into that hasent panned out was Drinking in the Locker room.

TXBRONC
05-14-2008, 11:09 PM
henry
torrain
young/hall not sure yet

hillis
sapp

alridge is just too small to play RB, i could see him sticking around as KR, or he goes to the PS

Alridge will have to beat out Royal for kick return duties.

56crash
05-14-2008, 11:22 PM
I hope Bell puts a End to the Brittle Henry . Bell needs to come in chiseled

Hogan11
05-14-2008, 11:42 PM
Bell is history.

I look for Henry to be the Man this year....he'll be more than driven as he has a lot to prove and make up for

dogfish
05-14-2008, 11:53 PM
I hope Bell puts a End to the Brittle Henry . Bell needs to come in chiseled

so maybe we can actually trade him this time around. . . .

Stargazer
05-15-2008, 12:26 AM
Alridge will have to beat out Royal for kick return duties.

It depends. Typically one player does KR and the other does PR.

Now if Royal has an amazing camp playing WR, the Broncos might promote someone else to do KR/PR dutues. Alridge does have a chance to make the team. And I think some of it lies in the success of Royal playing WR. He was selected in the 2nd round so there are definately expectations. There's a lot of time now between opening day. A lot will happen. And I am looking forward to it.

Npba900
05-15-2008, 06:22 AM
I predict Henry will not be in the starting rotation for very long this season either b/c someone beats him out or he can't stay Healthy!!!! By week 4 you will notice he starts to get nicked up, by week 8 he will have missed a few games. Those games he missed another RB will have great games in his place. This will cause Shanahan to go with the more consistent player.

Tned
05-15-2008, 06:41 AM
Henry/Young will likely start the season splitting time in a 70/30 fashion.

Hillis will battle Sapp for the starting job, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Hillis win the starting FB job, but Sapp has the edge going into TC. If Sapp wins the job, then I see Hillis slowly being worked into the game over the first half of the season.

Torain will be the 5th RB/FB on the roster.

HolyDiver
05-15-2008, 08:35 AM
henry
young
torrein
hall
aldridge

Fb- hillis, sapp

If aldridge is all he is cracked up to be I see him instead of young.

Alridge is going to get killed in the NFL...............He's fast, so what...........He's only 165 pounds or so.

broncohead
05-15-2008, 02:20 PM
Another interesting thought would be that we only have 2 active TEs and 2 FBs on game day. Hillis could be the H-back. If Henry goes down I see most of the carries go to Torrain but either way Young will be the change of pace back inless he can prove to stay healthy.
RB:
Henry
Young
Torrain

FB:
Sapp
Hillis

O-ManePunisher
05-15-2008, 02:24 PM
Alridge is going to get killed in the NFL...............He's fast, so what...........He's only 165 pounds or so.

The mans got a point but well see ... :rolleyes:

Retired_Member_001
05-15-2008, 02:44 PM
tailback:

henry weeks 1-4
young weeks 5-7
henry weeks 8-11
hall week 12
torrain weeks 13-17

fullback

sapp weeks 1-10
hillis weeks 11-17

:laugh:

You are probably quite accurate with that prediction.

Henry will start off 3 games strong. Struggle in the 4th game and then get injured.

Then Selvin Young will pick it up and run lights out, and then get injured.

Andre Hall will then hold it down for a game putting up a solid 100 yards.

Then Torrain will takeover for what remains in the season.