PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Which QB will be the Broncos' week one starter?

Tned
05-11-2010, 07:44 AM
Ok, there has been a lot of talk about whether or not Orton will be traded. In order to think he should be traded, that indicates that people are either ready to give up on the 2010 season, or believe that one or more of the other QB's are capable of starting and winning this year.

So, regardless of whether it is through a trade or simply winning the QB competition in training camp/pre-season, which QB do you think will start week 1 and why?

Tned
05-11-2010, 08:06 AM
I'll start with the who and why.

I 'think' Orton will start week 1, so I voted for him. I think he is the stable solution.

However, I 'hope' that Quinn or Tebow wins the competition and wins the starting job. Fair or not, Orton has the 'game manager' title hanging around his neck, because he hasn't shown to be a very dynamic QB. He tends to focus on only half of the field. He never stretches the field (yea, I know, there were those three throws against Washington). He hurts the running and passing game with the constant 3-6 yard passes, as the defense can compress up against the LOS.

Quinn, while inconsistent, is a more dynamic QB that could help open the offense up a bit. So, if he can win the job, he has more upside than Orton. Will he make more mistakes? Most likely, but you can't QB a team to victory if your first priority is avoiding mistakes.

However, while a longshot, I would love to see Tebow impress to the point where he wins the starting job. Would it result in a rocky season? Most likely, but if he outplays Orton and Quinn in TC, then I would love to see them hand him the ball and see if that dynamic college play can work in the NFL.

Dirk
05-11-2010, 08:23 AM
I'm thinking Orton will start.

Giving the fact that he has had a year under his belt in the offense and the fact that he doesn't "lose" the games per se.

I would love it if Tebow were such an astonishing QB he could unseat Orton and outshine him during TCs and Preseason that it would be a no brainer to start him, but I just don't think that will happen.

As far as Quinn is concerned, after a lot of thought, I think that McD wanted a quality backup for Orton going into the 2010 season. He thought he could get that with Simms but we all know how that ended. Quinn is a backup for now unless he shows a lot more than Orton does which I am thinking he will not, just because Orton knows the system better.

Traveler
05-11-2010, 09:41 AM
I say Quinn will be the starter.

It's clearly evident that they don't see Orton as the long term solution at the QB spot. They would have already given him an extension if they believed he was the QB that gives us the best chance to win.

McDaniels showed early last year by naming Orton the starter before training camp that he'll insert the best available player at a position if he believes he can best execute what he wants done.

Now that we have three capable QB's- then Tebow-why waste another year with a game manager?

As Tned stated earlier, Orton has reached his plateau. There is comfort in knowing that Orton is familiar with the system and should get better. But, JMcD is building this team to win over the long term, not to win now IMO.

Quinn, while still unknown, brings traits as a QB that will at least open up the field more and keep plays alive. Something that limits Orton.

TXBRONC
05-11-2010, 09:42 AM
I said Orton because that's what McDaniels has said, so I take him at his word I'm ok with that. However, should Tebow win the job by outplaying Orton and Quinn for that matter then I trust that McDaniels feels he gives them best chance to win.

Honestly I wouldn't doubt if McDaniels in the back of his mind would like to Tebow win the job outright.

TXBRONC
05-11-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm thinking Orton will start.

Giving the fact that he has had a year under his belt in the offense and the fact that he doesn't "lose" the games per se.

I would love it if Tebow were such an astonishing QB he could unseat Orton and outshine him during TCs and Preseason that it would be a no brainer to start him, but I just don't think that will happen.

As far as Quinn is concerned, after a lot of thought, I think that McD wanted a quality backup for Orton going into the 2010 season. He thought he could get that with Simms but we all know how that ended. Quinn is a backup for now unless he shows a lot more than Orton does which I am thinking he will not, just because Orton knows the system better.

I don't think it's far fetched for Tebow to have a good preseason because he'll be facing vanilla defensive schemes. If Tim can as you said outshine Orton in training camp and play well in the preseason I think McDaniels will give serious consideration to Tim starting on opening day.

xzn
05-11-2010, 10:14 AM
Unless T2 is playing like Marino did as a rookie I'd rather work him in slowly with special packages, Wild Horses, etc. for at least his first season. Meanwhile, I am hoping for Quinn to be able to apply his knowledge of the offense he learned under Weiss to effectively compress the standard learning curve and demonstrate sufficient proficiency to be named the starter. I favor Brady over Kyle because of the overwhelming difference in athletic ability that would hopefully lead to more dynamic play than we've witnessed from Mr. Orton.

I see Brandy on the PS and #8 gone next year with Tebow pushing to start by then and let the chips fall. Whoever loses out would figure to be an above average backup.

claymore
05-11-2010, 10:17 AM
Orton will start week one. But McD will be itching to replace his mediocre QB with a bonafied starter. When Ortons ankles burst into flames in Week 8, McD will have his chance..

Mark it on the calendar.

xzn
05-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Orton will start week one. But McD will be itching to replace his mediocre QB with a bonafied starter. When Ortons ankles burst into flames in Week 8, McD will have his chance..

Mark it on the calendar.

Can I get the lotto numbers for that day from you as well Nostradamus?

TXBRONC
05-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Unless T2 is playing like Marino did as a rookie I'd rather work him in slowly with special packages, Wild Horses, etc. for at least his first season. Meanwhile, I am hoping for Quinn to be able to apply his knowledge of the offense he learned under Weiss to effectively compress the standard learning curve and demonstrate sufficient proficiency to be named the starter. I favor Brady over Kyle because of the overwhelming difference in athletic ability that would hopefully lead to more dynamic play than we've witnessed from Mr. Orton.

I see Brandy on the PS and #8 gone next year with Tebow pushing to start by then and let the chips fall. Whoever loses out would figure to be an above average backup.

We carried three quarterbacks on the active roster last season, so I expect that we will again this season as well.

LordTrychon
05-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Orton.

claymore
05-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Can I get the lotto numbers for that day from you as well Nostradamus?

18-26-46-12-47-32 I cant tell you which day though. :(

arapaho2
05-11-2010, 10:47 AM
orton....now if you said who would i preferr to start...quinn

orton if still here knows the offense, but its not as simple as that, because he doesnt know thomas or decker just as quinn doesnt , but he does know stokley, grahm and may have occassionaly met royal in the locker room, so i would preferr to go with the knowledge and expirience of orton over the more talented quinn, at least for the first few weeks

now if we suck ...then i say throw the rookie in and be done with it

Timmy!
05-11-2010, 11:06 AM

Mark it on the calendar.

I think your dead on with this one Clay. Orton will start, probably play decently and be hurt by mid season. If the Broncos had a backup worth a crap last year Orton probably would have missed 4 or 5 games. His ankle is a liability and I don't think he makes it through the whole season. In my mind the question is whether McD puts in Quinn or Tebow once Orton's ankle explodes and what the teams record is at that point.

SOCALORADO.
05-11-2010, 11:12 AM

Mark it on the calendar.

How can you people not know this? Guess what!?!?! I do. I know that one day Tim Tebow and Brady Qwinn are gonna get married on top of a mountain, and there's going to be flutes playing and trombones and flowers and garlands of fresh herbs. And they will dance till the sun rises. And then their children will form a family band. And they will tour the countryside and you all won't be invited.

Obviously this all happens after Tebow starts week 1.
And i guess i might be able to get a couple invites if anyones interested...

Ravage!!!
05-11-2010, 11:37 AM
I think Tebow is the starter by week 8 of the season. A lot of rookies have started their rookie year, and EVERY QB in the NFL will tell you that 'watching' just isn't getting you ready for the games. The only way to learn, is to be on the field. So simply sitting on the sidelines isn't getting it done if you want to 'groom' a QB. Its not like we are letting Tebow learn behind some savvy vet.

Personally.... if you are going to spend those kind of picks to move into the first round to draft your "franchise QB"... you should be starting him sooner rather than later.

Its all on Tebow, and not Orton..imo. Orton isn't the guy, and he's not someone you just "have" to have your QB sit behind and learn from. Rookies have played all over the NFL and have taken teams to the playoffs. If Tebow is the playmaker, then put him in as starter and lets get it going. He's going to learn a LOT more from the field than he will from the sidelines.

arapaho2
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
I think Tebow is the starter by week 8 of the season. A lot of rookies have started their rookie year, and EVERY QB in the NFL will tell you that 'watching' just isn't getting you ready for the games. The only way to learn, is to be on the field. So simply sitting on the sidelines isn't getting it done if you want to 'groom' a QB. Its not like we are letting Tebow learn behind some savvy vet.

Personally.... if you are going to spend those kind of picks to move into the first round to draft your "franchise QB"... you should be starting him sooner rather than later.

Its all on Tebow, and not Orton..imo. Orton isn't the guy, and he's not someone you just "have" to have your QB sit behind and learn from. Rookies have played all over the NFL and have taken teams to the playoffs. If Tebow is the playmaker, then put him in as starter and lets get it going. He's going to learn a LOT more from the field than he will from the sidelines.

for a mobile atheltic qb to sit and learn qb'ing from orton would be like a brain surgeon learning brain surgery from a proctologist

T.K.O.
05-11-2010, 12:06 PM

the question is 'would you be willing to go 2-6 in the first half of the season while tebow gets used to the nfl game....or would you rather be 6-2 and give him time to watch and learn?
these are both very real possibilities.
do we want to risk a possible playoff spot for the sake of getting him playing time and real game experience?
not saying either way is the RIGHT way but the odds of him being ready to start week 1 are slim.
i know we drafted him to be the future....but that does,nt mean we forsake the present.and orton CAN give us a good shot at starting strong:confused:

arapaho2
05-11-2010, 12:18 PM
the question is 'would you be willing to go 2-6 in the first half of the season while tebow gets used to the nfl game....or would you rather be 6-2 and give him time to watch and learn?
do we want to risk a possible playoff spot for the sake of getting him playing time and real game experience?
not saying either way is the RIGHT way but the odds of him being ready to start week 1 are slim.
i know we drafted him to be the future....but that does,nt mean we forsake the present.and orton CAN give us a good shot at starting strong:confused:

and the off season moves as well as the draft really shows the coach believes that too

D1g1tal j1m
05-11-2010, 12:24 PM
Orton will start the season. Quinn is the back up QB in case Orton gets hurt. Tebow is the project that replaces Brandstater and will get a year under his belt to learn the NFL game. Brandstater will most likely get released and may come back next year as the third string QB again once Orton and the Broncos part ways...

T.K.O.
05-11-2010, 12:29 PM
and the off season moves as well as the draft really shows the coach believes that too

yeah he should not plan for the future....he should have kept simms !
orton only realistically had 1 year left so i dont see how the offseason had much to do with who will start and if it's smarter to start the rookie.
apparently you missed my point.

Shazam!
05-11-2010, 12:34 PM
Wno I think will start is different from who I want.

I want Tim Tebow.

I think Orton will be the starter but I dont expect him to last the season if things get rough.

arapaho2
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM
yeah he should not plan for the future....he should have kept simms !
orton only realistically had 1 year left so i dont see how the offseason had much to do with who will start and if it's smarter to start the rookie.
apparently you missed my point.

you dont bring in a former 1st round qb ...with three season in the league...then draft a rookie qb in the first round

because you have a 5 year vet qb who is young enough to play for ten more season and you fully believe in him

fact is after last season mcd despite his show of faith in proclaiming..orton is the starter...i believe he said some of the same things about cutler to...mcd had no faith in orton..period

you dont bring in two first round qbs just to plan for the future even though you fully believe orton is your guy and can do the job

SOCALORADO.
05-11-2010, 12:35 PM

Yeah. clearly these "rumors" that Orton could be traded and the fact that MCD/DEN FO went out and traded for Qwinn, then proceeded to make a number of moves before and during the draft to aquire Tebow in the 1st, only futher improves Ortons status as the starter in DEN.
Plus MCD said so himself before he did all of the above, so i am positive Ortons over at MCDs right now eating pizza and watching film preparing for the season, while Qwinn and Tebow wash their cars outside.

arapaho2
05-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Wno I think will start is different from who I want.

I want Tim Tebow.

I think Orton will be the starter but I dont expect him to last the season if things get rough.

heres the ticket...are we gonna sacrifice two more seasons prepareing for the inevitable emergence of tebow? another year of orton, followed by tebows first season ...or bradys first season in our offense , followed by tebows first season?

we all know its one or the other if tebow doesnt play this year

so if he is the real deal..throw him in and hopefully like the jets, ravens and atlanta we have the defense and running game that can help him out

get his first year out of the way and move forward

Lonestar
05-11-2010, 12:40 PM
Whomever Josh thinks gives us the best chance to win.

It is a given that Tebow is the future.

But I believe that Josh will start when he is ready and not before.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

arapaho2
05-11-2010, 12:41 PM
Yeah. clearly these "rumors" that Orton could be traded and the fact that MCD/DEN FO went out and traded for Qwinn, then proceeded to make a number of moves before and during the draft to aquire Tebow in the 1st, only futher improves Ortons status as the starter in DEN.
Plus MCD said so himself before he did all of the above, so i am positive Ortons over at MCDs right now eating pizza and watching film preparing for the season, while Qwinn and Tebow wash their cars outside.

u musta missed my sarcasm:rolleyes:

arapaho2
05-11-2010, 12:42 PM

But I believe that Josh will start when he is ready and not before.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

you mean this is all a ploy and josh means to be the first head coach/ starting qb in history?

Shazam!
05-11-2010, 12:53 PM
Originally Posted by Jrwiz

But I believe that Josh will start him (Tebow) when he is ready and not before.

you mean this is all a ploy and josh means to be the first head coach/ starting qb in history?

I think that's what he meant.

BroncoJoe
05-11-2010, 12:59 PM

I'd rather go 2-8 to begin the season, and finish 6-0. Not the other way around.

Of course 19-0 would be nice too.

SOCALORADO.
05-11-2010, 01:15 PM
u musta missed my sarcasm:rolleyes:

Oh i got it! I just was agreeing with some of my own!:laugh:

LTC Pain
05-11-2010, 01:51 PM
Orton and Quinn will battle for the starting job this year. Tebow will sit and learn thorugh the upcoming season and battle with Quinn for the starting job next season. Brandstater will be sent to the practice squad and likely get scarfed up by another team. Orton is gone at the end of this season.

RedFalcon
05-11-2010, 01:55 PM
Depending on how each of the QBs will perform in training camp, and pre-season games, that would be when McD will make his choice. But, so far, I'll give it to Orton, at least until he screws things up, which might not happen until mid-season.

SOCALORADO.
05-11-2010, 01:58 PM
Question
By Week 1, will Tebow be

More ready than Cassell was in NE when Brady was injured.
Equally ready as Cassell was in NE when Brady was injured.
Less ready than Cassell was in NE when Brady was injured.

TXBRONC
05-11-2010, 02:14 PM
Orton and Quinn will battle for the starting job this year. Tebow will sit and learn thorugh the upcoming season and battle with Quinn for the starting job next season. Brandstater will be sent to the practice squad and likely get scarfed up by another team. Orton is gone at the end of this season.

Right now I say Orton is starting quarterback, but that's exactly what our head coach has said. However I don't think McDaniels will hesitate to start Tebow if he out plays Orton and Quinn in training camp and the preseason. It hasn't been that long ago that McDaniels said something to the effect that "the only thing Tim doesn't know about the offense is what he hasn't been told yet." That says to me he'll start Tim as soon as he thinks he's ready.

I really don't think we'll keep four quarterbacks between the active roster and practice squad.

TXBRONC
05-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Question
By Week 1, will Tebow be

More ready than Cassell was in NE when Brady was injured.
Equally ready as Cassell was in NE when Brady was injured.
Less ready than Cassell was in NE when Brady was injured.

It ought be intertaining to find out. :pop2:

Broncolingus
05-11-2010, 02:43 PM
My crystal ball says Orton...

(...assuming no 'variable' - camp injury, Quinn/Tebow do as expected, etc...)

GGMoogly
05-11-2010, 04:07 PM
I think Orton the Adequate starts opening day because it's the sensible thing to do, but...

...if McD does start TT...

...I'M GEEKING TO HIGH HOLY HEAVEN!!!!! :elefant::dancing2:
:dancing::shots::dancing::dancing2::beer::woot:
:cheer2::cheer2::cheer2::horn:

Day1BroncoFan
05-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Unless Orton is injured or for some other reason cannot play he will be the one on opening day.

T.K.O.
05-11-2010, 05:01 PM
just found a poll on the post's site that has fans wanting orton traded 70% to 30% who think he deserves to start.......people are getting their hopes up a bit high for a rook with mech. issues and a starter who has won what ?3 games?
i'm not sayin orton is going to be our best option but.....it's a bit early to tell
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_15047949

broncophan
05-11-2010, 05:01 PM
Yea.....I picked Orton......but I would like to see Quinn or Tebow have a great camp/preseason and earn the starting job.....Orton.is o.k....but.....as we all know is not in our best interests to be the future of the broncos...at least imo...

arapaho2
05-11-2010, 05:04 PM
I think that's what he meant.

yeah i know...

arapaho2
05-11-2010, 05:07 PM
Oh i got it! I just was agreeing with some of my own!:laugh:

crap with all the excitement of my "thread" im pretty well on high defense mode

TXBRONC
05-11-2010, 05:14 PM
just found a poll on the post's site that has fans wanting orton traded 70% to 30% who think he deserves to start.......people are getting their hopes up a bit high for a rook with mech. issues and a starter who has won what ?3 games?
i'm not sayin orton is going to be our best option but.....it's a bit early to tell
http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_15047949

McDaniels said not to long ago Tebow's mechanics are fine. That in and of itself isn't reason for Tim to start but atm the coach says it's not issue.

Btw I took the poll and I'm one of the 30% not in favor trading Orton.

TXBRONC
05-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Yea.....I picked Orton......but I would like to see Quinn or Tebow have a great camp/preseason and earn the starting job.....Orton.is o.k....but.....as we all know is not in our best interests to be the future of the broncos...at least imo...

I picked Orton as well but I also believe that if Tebow outplays Orton during camp he'll be starting sooner rather than later.

Slick
05-11-2010, 05:29 PM
I think Orton will start, but I don't think it'll take much for McDaniels to find a way to get his shiny new toy in there.

I'd seriously consider evaluating the offensive line after a few games if I'm the Coach even if Tebow plays well in camp. I think he could handle the pressure of being the starter, just not if he is running for his life on every play.

broncophan
05-11-2010, 05:35 PM
I hope Brandstater doesn't frequent this message board.....his feelings may get hurt, considering that he has a grand total of "0" votes.

BroncoWave
05-11-2010, 07:39 PM
Brandstater probably wouldn't even vote for himself if he were being honest.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-11-2010, 07:48 PM
Here's the long and short of it...

We spent a first round pick on Tebow. He's not going anywhere. We just gave up a draft pick and a player for Quinn. The likelyhood we'd turn around and trade him right after he got here is very slim. Nobody wanted him two months ago when we acquired him, why would they now? He's also under contract for at least 2 more years. Brandstater is a backup. He's cheap and most importantly, he's still PS eligible... not likely going anywhere.

Then we have Orton who, while he did an okay job last year, far from dazzled anyone in the front office into believing he's the future in Denver as evidenced by the Quinn and Tebow acquisitions. Orton has this year remaining on his contract (RFA tender). We had every opportunity to sign him long term before acquiring Quinn and/or Tebow. We haven't. There's NO WAY ON EARTH that we re-sign Orton long term to what he thinks he's worth (starting money) with 2 first round picks on the bench. No way.

It is possible that McDaniels still wants Kyle to start this year in hopes we can make a playoff run, but any way you slice it, this will be Orton's last year in Denver. If he stays, we might have a better shot at the playoffs - I said might because there's no guarantees that this team will actually be better this year no matter what Orton does/doesn't do. Then, he becomes a free agent. Or, we shop him now and maybe get value from one of the teams that missed out on a QB in FA or the draft. I still don't see us getting much in return (5th or 6th rounder) but it's something more than nothing.

Either way, it makes no difference to me. I'm behind the team whoever the QB is. I have very little faith in Orton to be able to lead this offense back into the top ten, but I know he's temporary and that makes me willing to be patient if McDaniels decides to keep him one more year.

I do think Orton stays and gets the start. For how long? How long can we keep winning?

silkamilkamonico
05-11-2010, 08:31 PM
I'm going to have to say Quinn only because I really do ont like Orton. Deep down I think Orton starts, but if he struggles in the first couple games I really think Quinn will see the field for the rest of the year.

Go Broncos!

Shazam!
05-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Then we have Orton who, while he did an okay job last year, far from dazzled anyone in the front office into believing he's the future in Denver as evidenced by the Quinn and Tebow acquisitions.

I dont think Orton was ever a possibility longterm for Denver. He was the best starter he could get for Cutler until McD got his men and he came cheap. That's why he's here.

Chris90210
05-11-2010, 10:43 PM
I hope Brandstater doesn't frequent this message board.....his feelings may get hurt, considering that he has a grand total of "0" votes.

i helped him out:D

:salute:

even though he won't be a starter:laugh:

Ziggy
05-11-2010, 10:53 PM
I think that Orton will start, but will come out on 3rd and short and goal line packages. I think McD will have packages in for Tebow in those situations, similar to what Urban Meyer had for him his freshman year at Florida. This serves 2 purposes:

1. Orton has the most experience in this system, and gives the offense the best chance to move the ball on early downs, at least to start the season.
2. It works Tebow into the system from week 1, allowing him to adjust to the speed of NFL defenders. It also allows him to win over his teammates early.

It's great to have a young QB that's a natural leader, but you can't lead your team from the bench. John Elway was benched during his first season, and said the games that he watched from the sidelines helped him a ton. In this scenario, Tebow will have the best of both worlds.

TXBRONC
05-11-2010, 10:54 PM
I dont think Orton was ever a possibility longterm for Denver. He was the best starter he could get for Cutler until McD got his men and he came cheap. That's why he's here.

If there was some thought in McDaniels mind that Orton was a possible long term solution I would bet it was gone well before the season ended. When Orton wasn't offered any kind of contract extension then I felt reasonably sure he was going to be looking for a long term solution in relatively short order.

TXBRONC
05-11-2010, 11:05 PM
I think that Orton will start, but will come out on 3rd and short and goal line packages. I think McD will have packages in for Tebow in those situations, similar to what Urban Meyer had for him his freshman year at Florida. This serves 2 purposes:

1. Orton has the most experience in this system, and gives the offense the best chance to move the ball on early downs, at least to start the season.
2. It works Tebow into the system from week 1, allowing him to adjust to the speed of NFL defenders. It also allows him to win over his teammates early.

It's great to have a young QB that's a natural leader, but you can't lead your team from the bench. John Elway was benched during his first season, and said the games that he watched from the sidelines helped him a ton. In this scenario, Tebow will have the best of both worlds.

Right now I think that might be the plan going into camp but if Tim out plays Orton in training camp and the preseason then I wouldn't bet against Tim starting sooner.

honz
05-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Looks like Brandstater's mom has an account on BroncosForums!

FanInAZ
05-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Brandstater won't be given a chance. The best he can hope for is to not be cut before he has a chance to play in a couple of pre-season games. Hopefully, he can give a good enough performance to get a try out with another team. The Pats have had a good track record with 6th QBs.

I cringe anytime a rookie QB starts opening day. Yes, it does work out for some; like Sanchez from last year. However, how many of you watched Elway's 1983 NFL debut against the Steelers? He got benched at half time of both of his 1st 2 games as well as his 4th and 5th games before he finally got demoted to 2nd string. He got the starting job back when Deberg got injured in week 10 against the Seahawks.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/1983.htm

He played a lot better after having sat those 5 weeks. This is why I'd prefer to see Tebow sit a few games and get his first start no sooner then November.

I don't care what PR spin McD tries to feed us, he got Quinn because he was not satisfied with Orton. Unless Quinn stinks it up during the pre-season, he will start.

TXBRONC
05-12-2010, 09:57 AM
Brandstater won't be given a chance. The best he can hope for is to not be cut before he has a chance to play in a couple of pre-season games. Hopefully, he can give a good enough performance to get a try out with another team. The Pats have had a good track record with 6th QBs.

I cringe anytime a rookie QB starts opening day. Yes, it does work out for some; like Sanchez from last year. However, how many of you watched Elway's 1983 NFL debut against the Steelers? He got benched at half time of both of his 1st 2 games as well as his 4th and 5th games before he finally got demoted to 2nd string. He got the starting job back when Deberg got injured in week 10 against the Seahawks.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/den/1983.htm

He played a lot better after having sat those 5 weeks. This is why I'd prefer to see Tebow sit a few games and get his first start no sooner then November.

I don't care what PR spin McD tries to feed us, he got Quinn because he was not satisfied with Orton. Unless Quinn stinks it up during the pre-season, he will start.

I remember it well Elway had a rough go of it in his rookie season but ultimately he was benefit more by starting than by sitting on bench.

I agree with that McDaniels is not sold on Orton as the starting quarterback and that's one of the reasons he brought in Quinn. It's also the same reason he drafted Tebow. While I think both of those things are true I also think it's Orton's job to lose atm.

SOCALORADO.
05-12-2010, 10:02 AM
I remember it well Elway had a rough go of it in his rookie season but ultimately he was benefit more by starting than by sitting on bench.

I agree with that McDaniels is not sold on Orton as the starting quarterback and that's one of the reasons he brought in Quinn. It's also the same reason he drafted Tebow. While I think both of those things are true I also think it's Orton's job to lose atm.

The same could be said of Aikman, Manning, Marino, Sanchez, Flacco etc, etc.