Lonestar
05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Broncos a win-first team with shiny Tim's help
Readers talk and columnist Mark Kiszla responds
By Mark Kiszla
The Denver Post
POSTED: 05/09/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Talkin' Tebow.

"I seldom agree with your columns, Mr. Kiszla, but I must agree with your assessment of Broncos first-round draft pick Tim Tebow. He's way overrated and, in my opinion, won't make it as an NFL quarterback. He should switch to linebacker. I hope coach Josh McDaniels has the good sense (although that's questionable) to make Brady Quinn the starter and put Kyle Orton in the No. 2 spot."

Betty Jo, Conifer

Kiz: So you're saying Denver drafted the next Tedy Bruschi? The pick of Tebow reaffirmed a winning-first mentality that McDaniels is very serious about establishing with the Broncos. Gotta love that. On the other hand, the comparison of Tebow to Tom Brady by McDan- iels sent a clear message how head- over-heels in love the coach is with this rookie. Orton and Quinn gotta hate that.

Hero worship.

"Something tells me that if Tebow were not a proud Christian, you, too, would be falling all over him. I know you can't help yourself, but it is a sad state of affairs when you and many other sportswriters let your prejudices come into your writing."

Bob, Grand Lake

Kiz: I have been blessed to be awakened in Turkey with a call to prayer, felt the serenity of a temple in China and experienced the kinship of a candle-light service in Colorado. So, if we're talking prejudice, let me humbly ask: Would you cheer just as ardently for Tebow if he had been raised in a Muslim or Buddhist household? I'm confident Tebow will do his religion proud. A quarterback, however, is judged on touchdowns, interceptions and victories.

Preserved prediction.

"There has never been another athlete like Tim Tebow in the NFL. Not Michael Vick. Not Donovan McNabb. Tebow will lead the Broncos to many championships, and I want you to keep this e-mail."

Beau, Cornelius, N.C.

Kiz: Au contraire (pardon my French). There

Denver didn't make No. 15 the 25th pick overall to pass him off as a linebacker. (Craig F. Walker, The Denver Post )
has been a quarterback like Tebow. His name was Steve Young, a lefty thrower who entered the pro game with the mentality of a runner. Young made it to the Hall of Fame. But he didn't really make it as a starter until after his 30th birthday. McDaniels doesn't have that long to wait on Tebow.
Rebuild with Brown.

"Without coach George Karl on the bench, the Nuggets' fragile chemistry evaporated, and his return to coaching seems more and more unlikely. The Nuggets are looking at a complete rebuild. Is there any chance of coaxing Larry Brown out of Charlotte?"

Bob, Boulder

Kiz: You have hit the touchiest subject at Nuggets headquarters. In their hearts, team officials pray for Karl's return to health and the bench. But in terms of running a business, how long can the team endure the uncertainty about the coach for next season?

Let's move Melo.

"The Nuggets could get a couple good team players for Carmelo Anthony. It's always about Melo (my team, my town). How many times have you heard Todd Helton, John Elway or other great Denver players say anything like that and be so divisive?"

Ron, Greeley

Kiz: Maybe his leadership skills could use refinement, but Melo cares about winning as much as Helton or Elway ever did. Think Larry Bird, Magic Johnson or Michael Jordan was easy to live with as a teammate? Think again.

Players are people too.

"Hey,

MARK KISZLA
Send your sports-related feedback and analysis to Denver Post sports columnist Mark Kiszla.
Browse the Kickin' It With Kiz archive.
Read Mark Kiszla's most recent column.
dummy. We get it. You're upset and this isn't the Nuggets team you want to see on the floor. But the fact you're so eager to trash these individuals is shoddy. They are people! J.R. Smith has been affected by a lot of stuff the past few years. My beef: We're going to hand this 24-year-old problem to someone else? He's a kid who needs help."
Jud, area code 415

Kiz: Area code 415? Isn't that within shouting distance of the Golden State Quarrelers? Now there's a team where Smith would fit in perfectly.

Seeking closure.

"How long do we have to wait until Rockies manager Jim Tracy sends reliever Franklin Morales back to the minors, as was done with catcher Chris Iannetta, to straighten out his head?"

Steve, Westminster

Kiz: Here's a suspicion that neither Morales nor Manuel Corpas is the long-term answer in the ninth inning. Either Huston Street returns to health, or the Rockies aren't winning the NL West.

Positive to a point

And today's parting shot is an amusing little lesson in 1) The power of positive reinforcement, and 2) Do as I say, not as I do.

"Dear Mark: I am not one of your many fans. In regard to the University of Denver men's lacrosse team, you wrote the first positive column I can remember. But you wrote too much about the players and much too little about coach Bill Tierney (right)."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15047861?source=rsssimplepiebronco