PDA

View Full Version : if you did'nt know about eric decker....you should !

T.K.O.
05-10-2010, 04:36 PM
87 Eric Decker, Wide Receiver

Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 215 lbs.
College: Minnesota
Born: in Cold Spring, Minnesota
Acquired: Draft #3b (87th overall), 2010
Pro Year: R
Year with Broncos: 1st
NFL Games Played/Started: /
Postseason: /

OVERVIEW
A two-sport standout, Decker is regarded as the premier pass catcher in the collegiate game. Professional scouts have compared him to former NFL greats, Don Maynard of the New York Jets and Raymond Berry of the Baltimore Colts for his outstanding hands, route running ability and fearlessness going for the ball in a crowd. An excellent blocker with a teamfirst attitude, he competes with great work ethic.

Few receivers can boast the Velcro-like hands that Decker possesses. Minnesota quarterbacks have targeted him for 354 passes during his career, as he has dropped just three of those tosses in 45 games (0.085%). But, it is his ability to get to the simply impossible throws and what he does once he gets the ball in his hands that separate him from the “rest of the pack.”

and the rest of his bio is pretty amazing check it out if you have time !
from denverbroncos.com
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=11100

arapaho2
05-10-2010, 05:29 PM
87 Eric Decker, Wide Receiver

Height: 6' 2"
Weight: 215 lbs.
College: Minnesota
Born: in Cold Spring, Minnesota
Acquired: Draft #3b (87th overall), 2010
Pro Year: R
Year with Broncos: 1st
NFL Games Played/Started: /
Postseason: /

OVERVIEW
A two-sport standout, Decker is regarded as the premier pass catcher in the collegiate game. Professional scouts have compared him to former NFL greats, Don Maynard of the New York Jets and Raymond Berry of the Baltimore Colts for his outstanding hands, route running ability and fearlessness going for the ball in a crowd. An excellent blocker with a teamfirst attitude, he competes with great work ethic.

Few receivers can boast the Velcro-like hands that Decker possesses. Minnesota quarterbacks have targeted him for 354 passes during his career, as he has dropped just three of those tosses in 45 games (0.085%). But, it is his ability to get to the simply impossible throws and what he does once he gets the ball in his hands that separate him from the “rest of the pack.”

and the rest of his bio is pretty amazing check it out if you have time !
from denverbroncos.com
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=498&contentID=11100

i hope the dude works out ....he seems to be a solid pick to me

NittanyBuff24
05-10-2010, 07:16 PM
Saw him play in College, kids a stud!

nevcraw
05-10-2010, 07:26 PM
Don Maynard of the New York Jets and Raymond Berry of the Baltimore Colts

Don't get me wrong - I love this kid but comparing him to 2 HOF players before he's even recovered from his foot injury or caught one pass in the NFL is absurd and makes denverbroncos.com seem like some pimple face fan page instead of the web flagpole for a multi million dollar business.

honz
05-10-2010, 07:41 PM
Don't get me wrong - I love this kid but comparing him to 2 HOF players before he's even recovered from his foot injury or caught one pass in the NFL is absurd and makes denverbroncos.com seem like some pimple face fan page instead of the web flagpole for a multi million dollar business.

They said that professional scouts made those comparisons...they aren't actually making the comparison themselves.

Dreadnought
05-10-2010, 07:46 PM
The comparisons with Berry and Maynard seem odd in that IIR they weren't that big. Maynard was a deadly home run threat, and a great WR. Ray Berry was one of the best WR ever, even with one leg being shorter than the other. He was precise, with superb hands, and brave - the three important characteristics for a WR IMO. Size and speed are nice too, but thats not what Berry was about.

honz
05-10-2010, 07:52 PM
C'mon people, read! They made the comparisons because of "his outstanding hands, route running ability, and fearlessness going for the ball in a crowd."

Dreadnought
05-10-2010, 07:55 PM
C'mon people, read! They made the comparisons because of "his outstanding hands, route running ability, and fearlessness going for the ball in a crowd."

Understood - but Berry didn't have anything like his size, and was a different animal because of it. He was the artist of the sideline catch, for example. There are much better examples than him for Decker

EMB6903
05-10-2010, 08:04 PM
Decker reminds me of Jurivicious/Keyshawn Johnson as to the way he plays on the field.

nevcraw
05-10-2010, 08:04 PM

I read it 3 times and it's still a freakin' silly comparison, even if it was by scouts.

Their reasoning is basically covering the most important atributes for a WR, save speed.. So ---they are comparing him before he has done squat to 2 HOF players..ridiculous..

rcsodak
05-10-2010, 10:17 PM
I read it 3 times and it's still a freakin' silly comparison, even if it was by scouts.

Their reasoning is basically covering the most important atributes for a WR, save speed.. So ---they are comparing him before he has done squat to 2 HOF players..ridiculous..

Guess they should have instead compared him to Watts (route running)/Lelie(speed). :rolleyes:

BroncoWave
05-10-2010, 10:34 PM

Have you ever read a scouting report? College players are compared to accomplished/great pro players all the time. They aren't saying that they will definitely be as good as those players, they are just saying that the have characteristics of their game that are similar to those players. Good lord.

nevcraw
05-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Have you ever read a scouting report? College players are compared to accomplished/great pro players all the time. They aren't saying that they will definitely be as good as those players, they are just saying that the have characteristics of their game that are similar to those players. Good lord.

Good lord.... Thanks for the decipher.. but.. sadly a stupid thing to compare a third round newbie with a potential career threatening injury to 2 of best WR's to ever play the game.. IMHO

honz
05-10-2010, 10:54 PM

They make comparisons to great players because people know who they are. Compare prospects to some hack that was in the league for a few years and was a great route runner, nobody knows who the hell they are talking about.

BroncoWave
05-10-2010, 10:59 PM
Good lord.... Thanks for the decipher.. but.. sadly a stupid thing to compare a third round newbie with a potential career threatening injury to 2 of best WR's to ever play the game.. IMHO

You're right, they should just compare him to some scrub who the average reader has never heard of! :lol:

nevcraw
05-10-2010, 11:23 PM
You're right, they should just compare him to some scrub who the average reader has never heard of! :lol:

Ok - One more try.. I know I'm clearly fighting a losing battle.. I had no idea there was so much protective fervor for the fluffy drivel of a scouting report..

If he was truly comparible to not just one but two HOF players in the areas most important to his postion, would he really be passed on in the draft 86 times??

EDIT
This is a good read with pictures on the subject of overhype:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.1.html

honz
05-10-2010, 11:39 PM
Dude, it's not that I or those scouts are saying that he will be a HOFer one day. Young players are always compared to well known players simply so casual fans can know who the hell they are talking about. I'm not sure what the deal is here.

Lonestar
05-11-2010, 01:22 AM
Obviously some do not care unless the is a long time 2 two Pro blow WR. no one else will do.

Having three drops in 354 catches is short of unbelievable.

Lets hope he can produce that kind of skill at the NFL level.

then all WRs that produce at his level can be compared to HIM.:salute::salute:

bcbronc
05-11-2010, 03:10 AM
Ok - One more try.. I know I'm clearly fighting a losing battle.. I had no idea there was so much protective fervor for the fluffy drivel of a scouting report..

If he was truly comparible to not just one but two HOF players in the areas most important to his postion, would he really be passed on in the draft 86 times??

EDIT
This is a good read with pictures on the subject of overhype:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.1.html

they're comparing skill sets not potential.

gobroncsnv
05-11-2010, 07:08 AM
If one of his attributes is "courage", then I'll look for him to get past the foot injury. THAT is likely why he fell so far in the draft, but if he has the perseverance to work through this kind of setback, he will go a long way to becoming a fan favorite. Sounds like, to really bring this home, the comparisons would be more in line with Eddie Mac. Before I get roasted on the hyperbole spit, perhaps I should say his attributes displayed during his collegiate career would serve as a grudging reminder of one of my favorite (ever) Bronco players. Who wouldn't want to see that play out?

broncofaninfla
05-11-2010, 07:47 AM
I'm happy with the pick, hope he can stay healthy, could be a stud for us.

T.K.O.
05-11-2010, 09:38 AM
career ending injury ? says who?
do you guys remember watching eddie mac's leg split in two on national tv?
this kid will come back just fine from his foot injury.....he is already reported to be close to 100%
think positive:beer:

GEM
05-11-2010, 10:21 AM
He's good looking too.....:D

http://www.rookiedraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/eric-decker.jpg

xzn
05-11-2010, 10:24 AM
Before we ever drafted him I saw him play in the Big Ten. I had no idea that Denver would ever take him but the immediate comparison that lent itself to my eyes was with the former #87 and future ROFer Ed Mc Caffrey Jr.

Comparing unproven players to proven players is standard practice. I can compare a lightbulb to the sun. They both emit light but the difference in intensity is one of orders of magnitude.

Whether Eric Decker lives up to any comparisons is yet to be determined and is not to be mistaken for a prediction per se but there is nothing wrong with comparing a skill set perfected by a legend to a college kids who flashes similar potential.

LordTrychon
05-11-2010, 10:26 AM
Decker reminds me of Jovon Bouknight.

Better?

:laugh:

T.K.O.
05-11-2010, 10:44 AM
He's good looking too.....:D

http://www.rookiedraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/eric-decker.jpg

and appears to have a 12-14 foot wingspan:laugh:

BroncoNut
05-11-2010, 11:28 AM
and appears to have a 12-14 foot wingspan:laugh:

In that pic he looks like Kurt Warner, I thought

I've heard great things about him. I think it's cool that he is white. no offense.

T.K.O.
05-11-2010, 12:13 PM
In that pic he looks like Kurt Warner, I thought

I've heard great things about him. I think it's cool that he is white. no offense.

i thought the same thing.....the warner part,not the white part.:laugh:
but in some circles it is still "cool to be white"
take kc and the sunshine band for example.......:D

BroncoNut
05-11-2010, 12:14 PM
i thought the same thing.....the warner part,not the white part.:laugh:
but in some circles it is still "cool to be white"
take kc and the sunshine band for example.......:D

or the Bay City Rollers. Maybe a bit before your time.

LTC Pain
05-11-2010, 02:23 PM
We had six WRs on the active roster last season. So who is going to be the WR who gets a pink slip? McKinley or Lloyd? Royal, Gafney, Stokely, Bay Bay and Decker are clearly the top five. I liked McKinley in the pre-season last year and give him the nod over Lloyd.

T.K.O.
05-11-2010, 02:30 PM
or the Bay City Rollers. Maybe a bit before your time.

unfortunately....no,not quite before my time:laugh:

BroncoNut
05-11-2010, 02:31 PM
unfortunately....no,not quite before my time:laugh:

no shyt! I always thought you were like 30 or something.

T.K.O.
05-11-2010, 02:39 PM
no shyt! I always thought you were like 30 or something.

i am 30 something.....30-17:laugh: