PDA

View Full Version : Sew what? Broncos fans save money on Tebow jerseys Read more: Sew what? Broncos fans save money on Tebow jerseys - Denver Business Journal:

Denver Native (Carol)
05-09-2010, 05:53 PM
http://denver.bizjournals.com/denver/stories/2010/05/10/story14.html

Before playing a single game, Denver Broncos rookie quarterback Tim Tebow already is a big hit off the field. Replicas of his No. 15 team jerseys are flying off store shelves across Colorado.

But Tebow jerseys can cost a lot. NFLShop.com and FansEdge list “replica” jerseys for $80 on up; “authentic” jerseys run well over $200 on the Broncos’ website.

Some thrifty fans, however, are getting a Tebow jersey at a recession-beating price. They’re snatching up deeply discounted jerseys bearing the name of a former Broncos No. 15 — wide receiver Brandon Marshall, who left the team recently for the Miami Dolphins — and having Tebow’s name sewed on.

For embroiderer Daniella Grieve, the fans’ cost-saving play has meant some extra business. “It could turn into something big,” she said.

Grieve runs Lombardi’s Embroidery in Arvada. The shop is located, ironically, on Marshall Street.

VIDEO: Watch CBS4's report on this story. http://cbs4denver.com/video/?id=70760@kcnc.dayport.com

She’s already completed the jersey transformation for some eager fans, including members of her own family.

“My brother had the idea,” Grieve said with a laugh. “He was watching the draft, and he said that was one of the first things that popped into his head.”

The discounted Marshall jerseys are going for less than $10 at some local sports outlets. “They’re $7.47 on clearance. It’s a great deal,” said Ashley Delk at The Sports Authority in Glendale.

Grieve uses a special machine to stitch the Tebow name over Marshall’s. She charges $20 for her work, which means Broncos fans can save more than $100 on their custom-embroidered Tebow jerseys.

Of course, the extra business coming to Lombardi’s Embroidery may be short-lived. Tebow won a Heisman Trophy at the University of Florida, but he hasn’t thrown a single pass in an NFL game yet, and there have been questions about how well his unusual throwing style will translate to the pros.

Still, Tebow’s college talent and clean-scrubbed image have made him a rookie favorite among Broncos fans hungry for a return to the playoffs.

In the four days after the Broncos drafted Tebow on April 22, he led all players — rookies or otherwise — in jersey sales, passing a draft-weekend mark set the previous year by rookie New York Jets signal caller Mark Sanchez, Bloomberg News reported.

“Hopefully he’ll stick around and do something well for the Broncos,” Grieve said, “and maybe do something for our business.”

Read more: Sew what? Broncos fans save money on Tebow jerseys - Denver Business Journal:

Northman
05-09-2010, 05:59 PM
Im starting to feel like we drafted Ricky Martin rather than a football player. lmao

Denver Native (Carol)
05-09-2010, 06:07 PM
Ch4 always runs ideas on "how to beat the recession". This is just another way to save money - I think it is a great idea.

girler
05-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Im starting to feel like we drafted Ricky Martin rather than a football player. lmao

It's not like he's sewing them himself. :date:

Broncolingus
05-09-2010, 08:30 PM

I thought Quinn was supposed to be the ghey one???

Bwwwwwaaaaaaaahhhhhhh!

:D

jhildebrand
05-09-2010, 09:37 PM
The NFL will intervene. I assure you.

girler
05-09-2010, 10:10 PM
The NFL will intervene. I assure you.

Oh ya, we MUSTN'T mess with the NFL's access to all our money! :croc:

Denver Native (Carol)
05-09-2010, 10:27 PM
I wonder if the NFL could intervene - they are not making a new product, they are not changing the logo, etc., they are an embroidery shop, and people are taking the jerseys to them. Could be interesting.