PDA

View Full Version : Article: Russ Lande (Sporting News) gives "C" grade for Broncos Draft

tomjonesrocks
05-09-2010, 01:55 PM
As usual, this month's Sporting News gives the Broncos draft an overall "C" Grade.

The "D" grade for Walton stands out. Seems the only pick Lande really liked was Thomas. No real in-depth justification to these grades, just thought I'd put them up.

Russ Lande's Report Card
Overall Grade: C

Rd Pick Player Grade
1 22 Demaryius Thomas, WR Georgia Tech A
1 25 Tim Tebow, QB, Florida C
2 45 Zane Beadles, OT, Utah B-
3 80 J.D. Walton, C, Baylor D
3 87 Eric Decker, WR, Minnesota B+
5 137 Perrish Cox, CB, Oklahoma State A-
6 183 Eric Olsen, G, Notre Dame C+
7 225 Syd'Quan Thompson, CB, California C
7 232 Jammie Kirlew, LB Indiana C

Impact Rookie
A strong-running 6-3 230-pound receiver sounds familiar, but Demaryius Thomas isn't in Brandon Marshall's class yet. Still, if Thomas plays to his potential, he'll be int he receiving rotation and pushing for a starting role.

Project
Josh McDaniels' reputation for getting the most out of QB's faces a test in tough, smart and athletic Tim Tebow. The coach must believe Tebow's footwork and mechanics can be polished to an NFL level.

We had to Ask (really hate this quote)
Why are you a better pick than Dez Bryant, taken behind you in Round 1?
Demaryius Thomas: "Well, I don't know. I can't say. I know I'm a better person than Dez. That's how I feel. I feel like I'm a better receiver, too--bigger, faster."

Lande's AFC West Steal
Demaryius Thomas, WR, Broncos. Because he was coming off a broken foot, Denver was able to get the best receiver and one of the 5 best players in the draft with the 22nd pick.

Lonestar
05-09-2010, 02:00 PM
not sure why anyone would be surprised east coast media has rarely been kind to DEN

BroncoWave
05-09-2010, 02:08 PM
I will reserve my opinion on our draft until I hear what Ray Lewis has to say! :salute:

EMB6903
05-09-2010, 02:12 PM
Talk to me in January........................................... ...... of 2012 to judge this class.

silkamilkamonico
05-09-2010, 02:20 PM
He just gave grades, with no explanation to some of the grades he made?

That sounds like a ***** way to go about it.

frenchfan
05-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Well... I really don't care about those grades...
Like it or not, but I think coach McD is better qualified to know what he wants for a QB... And if he can do the job, I think many "experts" would look really dumb...

IMO McD gambled but he had a plan and executed it... I at least respect that... Now, we'll know only in a few years if he was right or wrong...

After all, I have no clue about college football and I think overall draft is just a bet... More or less risky, but a bet... It's like poker... It's not because you have AA in your hand that you'll win...
May be Bradford will turn out as a bust... Sure, it's really more risky to take Tebow... that's for sure... But the reward can be great too... From what I know about him, he's a true leader, he knows football, he knows how to win and his has great attitude and work ethic... I don't see why he couldn't be taught by a good coach... And I think nobody can deny McD doens't know his job about QB...

I liked some the other picks too... As usual, I'll wait before making a real judgement on a draft...

The "experts" don't like our draft? And so what? Let's talk about it later

dogfish
05-09-2010, 03:14 PM
who the **** is russ lande?

whoever he is, he doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground if he thinks the walton pick is a D-- that was one of the better value picks in the whole draft. . .

rcsodak
05-09-2010, 04:10 PM
Love how everybody and their mee-ma knows you're doing nothing but wasting breath by judging a draft before 2-3yrs.

The only way these idiots judge by, is whether or not you got a big-name college player. And if you pick the way they predicted you would.

camdisco24
05-09-2010, 07:47 PM
When God himself grades a Broncos draft, i'll be behind it.
When some air-head named Russ gives us a C... I just yawn.
... I think my high school Janitor was named Russ....

Softskull
05-09-2010, 08:06 PM
When God himself grades a Broncos draft, i'll be behind it.
When some air-head named Russ gives us a C... I just yawn.
... I think my high school Janitor was named Russ....

Actually, I heard that God did give us a C. He hated the Cox pick. :shocked:
And Russ in german translates to satan.

Ravage!!!
05-09-2010, 08:15 PM
yeah.. how bad it is to grade before 2-3 years down the road.. because there won't be "regrades" 2-3 years down the road. Everyone grades. If the guy gave us an A, you would be cheering his intelligence.

I don't think an "average" grade is bad considering the reaches we made with our two first round picks.

Broncolingus
05-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Agree with everyone, who is this clown, ask me in a year or two, etc...

Curious, though, why the 'D' for Walton?

Most of the 'experts' (and there are so many of them right?) had him - as I do - as a solid pick...

TWT...

Softskull
05-09-2010, 08:40 PM
Agree with everyone, who is this clown, ask me in a year or two, etc...

Curious, though, why the 'D' for Walton?

Most of the 'experts' (and there are so many of them right?) had him - as I do - as a solid pick...

TWT...

I was shocked on that one too. Walton was my favorite pick in this draft.

rcsodak
05-09-2010, 08:41 PM
yeah.. how bad it is to grade before 2-3 years down the road.. because there won't be "regrades" 2-3 years down the road. Everyone grades. If the guy gave us an A, you would be cheering his intelligence.

I don't think an "average" grade is bad considering the reaches we made with our two first round picks.

Don't know who you're aiming this at....one can only assume.... :lol:

But I've yet to hear actual football people say a college player can be "graded" before he even steps into his jockstrap. Let alone determine his "worth" by his draft slot.

Timmy!
05-09-2010, 11:10 PM
I give Russ Lande a D+

Mr D
05-09-2010, 11:26 PM
Draft grades are so pointless - it's obviously based off of the opinion of a writer/analyst which means absolutely NOTHING.

The only grade that matters is the one inside the organization - and that is probably based off of execution and if they got who they wanted.

Theoretically - these draft grades given by these idiots can be given before the actual draft if teams would just let them know what their board looks like - and let them know who and what positions they're looking to take.

These fools are idiots...

Honestly - the way Denver maneuvered around and got who they wanted - ending up with 2 firsts - it should be an A+.

No one sees the 2 first round picks from 1 first round pick tho - all they see is Tebow.

frenchfan
05-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Draft grades are so pointless - it's obviously based off of the opinion of a writer/analyst which means absolutely NOTHING.

The only grade that matters is the one inside the organization - and that is probably based off of execution and if they got who they wanted.

Theoretically - these draft grades given by these idiots can be given before the actual draft if teams would just let them know what their board looks like - and let them know who and what positions they're looking to take.

These fools are idiots...

Honestly - the way Denver maneuvered around and got who they wanted - ending up with 2 firsts - it should be an A+.

No one sees the 2 first round picks from 1 first round pick tho - all they see is Tebow.Exactly my point... They had a plan (hate it or like it), but they did have one and they excuted it perfectly... I respect that... The rest is just a bet and time will tell....

:beer:

Northman
05-10-2010, 11:07 AM

But i got to defend their honor!! :lol: