PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Report

stevenlourie
05-09-2010, 01:42 PM
I spent a long time on this and I was looking for some feedback/debate/discussion from true die hard fans..

http://www.footballfanspot.com/denverbroncos.htm

gregbroncs
05-10-2010, 08:34 AM
Did you actually say guard is not a big need for the Broncos? Wow your grading was terrible and your knowledge of team needs was shown with that one sentence.

Lonestar
05-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Your front 7 obsession IMO clouded your objectivey on the draft.

We needed OG OL players and got several prospects that all have verastility (play multiple spots)

Also suspect you do not like the head coach much.

From a fans POV I grade this a solid D- a pretty good hachet job.
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

Mr D
05-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Please shut down your site.

#22 WR Demaryius Thomas (Georgia Tech)

Thomas fills a need, but he’s not a very good player. He doesn’t run routes and he has shaky hands. He also is going to struggle to gain seperation at the next level and he is coming off of a foot injury. He was decently productive last year, but Danario Alexander was way more productive in a very similar offense to Thomas and Alexander didn’t even get drafted. I’m not saying they should have drafted Alexander here, but it’s pretty bad when you use a 1st round pick on a guy who, by all indications, is, at the very least, not better than a guy who wasn’t drafted, if not worse.

How can you misspell things with all the spell checkers integrated into everything these days?

Anyways - he is not a very good player? He averaged 25 YPC last season - that's 1/4 of the football field to put it in perspective. You're comparing a player that was more productive and didn't get drafted... what does that tell you about your logic and knowledge compared to the 32 teams in the NFL?

He will struggle to get separation... but in college he was forced to beat coverage all the time in the offense he ran...? He ran a 4.3 40 dash that was sent to all teams...?

This is an interesting pick. I love Tebow and I think he can be a solid quarterback in the NFL. I think Tebow has to be very pleased with going to the Broncos. He won’t have to contribute right away. Josh McDaniels, as moronic of a drafter as he is, is good with quarterbacks. Tebow also fits the shotgun style offense the Broncos run. However, I can’t give them a great grade considering they traded up, losing a ton of value according to the NFL Draft Trade Value Chart in the process, to take Tebow over Jimmy Clausen. Plus, I can’t say quarterback was a huge need for the Broncos considering they already have Kyle Orton and Brady Quinn on the roster and their run defense is still horrible.

Grade: B+

Didn't we upgrade our WHOLE dline in the off-season? Did McDaniels not maneuver the draft like Napoleon maneuvered the land in his prime?

#45 OT Zane Beadles (Utah)

Beadles is a pretty big reach here and I can’t say he fills a huge need. Beadles can play some guard, but guard isn’t a big need for them either.

Grade: F

Considering we lost our starting guard for the past few seasons and our run game was horrible as the season progressed - and we're moving to a new scheme - you're an idiot. :lol:

#80 C JD Walton (Baylor)

Walton is the top center in this draft class in my mind and a decent value in the 3rd round and he does fill a need, but the Broncos still have not addressed the front 7, which was horrible last year. Walton doesn’t have the positional value you’d like out of this pick considering how much help the Broncos need on the defensive line.

Grade: C

Do you follow the off-season or only the draft?

#137 CB Perrish Cox (Oklahoma State)

Cox is a great value as a late 3rd round prospect in the 5th, but cornerback was the one defensive position they didn’t need to address. They have two solid starters in Champ Bailey and Andre Goodman and they traded this year’s first round pick for Alphonso Smith last year. What are they going to do about the front 7? They couldn’t stop anyone on the ground last year, especially late.

Grade: C

What if there was no one in the front 7 that was worth a pick here? We stopped the run game decently in the beginning of the season.

again - ... you realize Cox is a returner too, right? You realize our corners are over 30, right?

#183 C Eric Olsen (Notre Dame)

Huh? Josh McDaniels really hates positional value doesn’t he. Olsen is a solid value, but this is the 2nd center this have taken in this draft. I know it was a need, but two? Considering how low of a value the center position is and how much they need young talent in the front 7, this was pretty stupid.

Grade: F

You realize one of the centers taken is projected as guard/center.... go do some research.

Yep - you definitely need to shut down your site.

Mr D
05-10-2010, 09:22 AM
Seriously - you're making Mel Kiper and John Clayton look like NFL Gods and #1 Broncos fans with that write up.

That was by far one of the worst write ups in any sport from any website - so far off base and way far from reality - I've ever read. I'm talking about the things that aren't even subjective.

You're definitely entitled to your own opinion - but when you're sitting here saying guard isn't a need and that D.Thomas wasn't a good player in college, that pretty much sums up your credibility of anything related to football.

Again, please shut down your site as you're filling the internet with more garbage than it needs.

T.K.O.
05-10-2010, 09:50 AM
thanks for the info......O.R.:laugh:
it will be interesting to see what "hotcarl" thinks of this

xzn
05-10-2010, 10:04 AM
I agree, that was a very poor take. It was outdated, factually incorrect and poorly written.

Sorry dude, but you've got to come stronger than that!

roomemp
05-10-2010, 10:15 AM
I spent a long time on this and I was looking for some feedback/debate/discussion from true die hard fans

Apparently not long enough :laugh:

Just kidding....Welcome to the site and I appreciate the time you took to do this write up.

SOCALORADO.
05-10-2010, 10:43 AM
Someone who should more than likely stick to getting those Jr. College credits outta the way, and give up on your hopes and dreams of becoming an internet sensation as a wanna-be analyst of NFL teams and talent.
Factually incorrect, poorly written, with badly mispelled words everywhere.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-10-2010, 10:56 AM
I spent a long time on this and I was looking for some feedback/debate/discussion from true die hard fans

It was a good effort and I applaud you for your work :congrats:. I have to assume you're not a Broncos fan and it's cool to get your perspective.

You seem to be very concerned about the defensive front 7, but we did just sign Justin Bannan, Jarvis Green, and Jamal Williams (all new starters) in free agency to address just that.

- First, I must question your analysis of Thomas. Even if you, like most "experts", had him below Dez Bryant there's no denying his talent. He's bigger than Bryant, faster than Bryant, blocks well (you have to to play in an option offense), and has all the physical skills you want in an NFL WR. Even the "experts" had him as the #2 WR on the board. He is also a very HIGH CHARACTER guy.

- I agree with your analysis of the Tebow pick even though the value was there. People think we gave up a lot to get Tebow, but Tebow was acquired by trading back in the first and acquiring all those picks to get back into the 1st round. We essentially got Tebow for the cost of a second round pick (he never would've made it, Minnesota, Buffalo, or NE would've grabbed him before us had we waited). HIGH CHARACTER AND LEADERSHIP

- I'm guessing by your analysis of Beadles that you don't know much about Ryan Harris. Harris is one of the top RTs in the league right now, but he has been somewhat "injury prone" and is now coming off two major injuries (back and toe). His backup Tyler Polumbus did okay filling in, but he's just not starting caliber. Beadles provides the ability to:

a) have depth at OT (who knew Ryan Clady would tear his patella tendon this offseason?) in case Harris is hurt or can't come back as soon as we need him to.

b) move inside and compete at Guard where we currently have a vacancy to fill.

I would've preferred Vladimir Ducasse there, but Beadles provides more flexibility so I understand the pick. HIGH CHARACTER TEAM LEADER for the Utes.

- Why did we draft both JD Walton and Eric Olsen? Because we had no real Center on our roster... period. Wiegmann was our starter - gone, Hamilton was though to really be the backup - gone. Olsen can also play Guard (once again, a position of need).

- I agree with you about Decker.

- As you might have seen, Alphonso Smith didn't exactly pan out like we hoped his rookie year and was beaten out by an aging vet (Ty Law) and then an UDFA (Tony Carter). Bailey and Goodman are both north of 30. Even if Smith is the future, we still need a guy on the other side. Cox was a great value pick.

- As for Syd'Quan Thompson and Jammie Kirlew, they're both 7th rounders that will be brought in to compete in camp and probably end up cut or on the practice squad. I don't expect anything from them so I won't be disappointed if we get nothing. All I can be is pleasantly surprised if they pan out and make the team.

missingnumber7
05-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Wow, that whole website is a waste of space, and my time and lunch for reading it. Go look at his picks from last season. Worth a good laugh. But such is the internet...you can write whatever you want, it is an opinion piece. But looks like the work of a HS kid, not a JuCo project.

silkamilkamonico
05-10-2010, 01:30 PM
Anyways - he is not a very good player? He averaged 25 YPC last season - that's 1/4 of the football field to put it in perspective. You're comparing a player that was more productive and didn't get drafted... what does that tell you about your logic and knowledge compared to the 32 teams in the NFL?

He will struggle to get separation... but in college he was forced to beat coverage all the time in the offense he ran...? He ran a 4.3 40 dash that was sent to all teams...?

Are you talking about DThomas, or Troy Williamson here?

Hmm..

WARHORSE
05-10-2010, 01:31 PM
Thanks for sharing. I agree with most here.

You need to know the team youre speaking about. If you dont think a specific area is a need, you need to say why.

But I didnt read past the Beadles comment because all the air was gone from my desire to read further.

Dont get discouraged though!

Learn your craft. The only way to get better is to learn from your mistakes.

Peace! And good luck.:salute:

T.K.O.
05-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I spent a long time on this and I was looking for some feedback/debate/discussion from true die hard fans..

]

i thought it was awesome......completely off base and not worth reading....but awesome!:elefant:

hotcarl
05-10-2010, 02:52 PM
i too care what this guy thinks about the broncos draft http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/861243691/210195_210195_1_.jpg

Mr D
05-10-2010, 05:40 PM
Are you talking about DThomas, or Troy Williamson here?

Hmm..

...what?

silkamilkamonico
05-10-2010, 05:41 PM
...what?

Exactly

Mr D
05-10-2010, 05:43 PM
Exactly

lol no I'm confused because I don't believe Troy Williamson did any of the above other than the 40 time possibly.

I mean the size difference, blocking skills, etc I'm not sure if you can compare.

stevenlourie
05-10-2010, 06:22 PM
Wow, that whole website is a waste of space, and my time and lunch for reading it. Go look at his picks from last season. Worth a good laugh. But such is the internet...you can write whatever you want, it is an opinion piece. But looks like the work of a HS kid, not a JuCo project.

My 66% correct picks, oh, those are funny...

stevenlourie
05-10-2010, 06:23 PM
i too care what this guy thinks about the broncos draft http://a3.twimg.com/profile_images/861243691/210195_210195_1_.jpg

Do you not care because you think I'm wrong or because I look young. Because that comment's really leaving it up to interpretation.

HORSEPOWER 56
05-10-2010, 06:32 PM
...what?

Where?

GGMoogly
05-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Your opinions are your opinions and I have no opinion about it, but you could tighten up your writing with a little editing. I think this article overuses adverbs (decently, stupidly, etc.,) which makes for very flabby prose. Also, rework your run-on sentences and fragments.

I believe one of the worst things you can do is to emulate other sports writers. Only a select few are competent craftsmen. The vast majority are those who chose Journalism as a major only because no math was involved.

GGMoogly
05-10-2010, 08:17 PM
BTW, keep writing. It's a good thing!:salute:

missingnumber7
05-11-2010, 09:19 AM
My 66% correct picks, oh, those are funny...

Wasn't bashing you on your picks...was bashing your breakdown of the games. The broncos games from week 1 to week 6 looked like this.

Week 2
They got lucky in week 1 should squeek by a bad browns team...hmmm...home opener.

Week 3.
Bad raiders team bad broncos team...in oakland i'll pick them.

Week 4
This broncos team is the worst undefeated team in NFL history they lose.

Week 5
If that Cowboys team pulled their heads out of their asses they would've beat this 4-0 team that is the worst ever to play the game.

Week 6
I can't believe that the patriots lost to the broncos...holy crap...well this will learn everyone...the chargers will beat them finally.

I think I paraphrased pretty accurately. Pretty close to a carbon copy of what ESPN complained about the whole season. Oh and nice power rankings.

stevenlourie
05-11-2010, 06:27 PM
Wasn't bashing you on your picks...was bashing your breakdown of the games. The broncos games from week 1 to week 6 looked like this.

Week 2
They got lucky in week 1 should squeek by a bad browns team...hmmm...home opener.

Week 3.
Bad raiders team bad broncos team...in oakland i'll pick them.

Week 4
This broncos team is the worst undefeated team in NFL history they lose.

Week 5
If that Cowboys team pulled their heads out of their asses they would've beat this 4-0 team that is the worst ever to play the game.

Week 6
I can't believe that the patriots lost to the broncos...holy crap...well this will learn everyone...the chargers will beat them finally.

I think I paraphrased pretty accurately. Pretty close to a carbon copy of what ESPN complained about the whole season. Oh and nice power rankings.

How'd they do the rest of the year?

And I wasn't saying anything that wasn't true. In their first 6, they barely beat 3 teams, one in OT where the other team didn't get the ball and they could have easily lost if they had lost the coin toss, and one on the craziest play of the year, and 2 against bad teams (Oakland, Cleveland). I didn't think it was a good team last year, it just took me a while to get it right because they football gods were clearly not on my side to start the year. They could have very easily been 4-2 or 3-3 in those first six had a few things not gone right.

silkamilkamonico
05-11-2010, 07:08 PM
lol no I'm confused because I don't believe Troy Williamson did any of the above other than the 40 time possibly.

I mean the size difference, blocking skills, etc I'm not sure if you can compare.

Both played in run option offenses that left them both in single coverage all game long.

Both ran very limited WR routes in college, and neither one had to incorporate reading a defense liuke the NFL requires.

Both were very fast, big play threats, that dropped numerous footballs thrown to them throughout their career.

Williamson averaged almost 30 ypc in his freshmen year, and then followed that up with almost 20 ypc his junior season before leaving. He wasn't quite the big play threat, but then again, opposing defenses didn't have focus on arguably the best running QB in the nation along with the best RB in the ACC.

I really like Demaryius Thomas, but calling someone's opinion on him wrong and then following that up with college production a terrible counter argument. That's like saying Jason White is a better NFL prospect at QB than Tim Tebow. And anyone that watched Georgia Tech at all, knows he isn't the kind of WR who will get separation. He didn't even get separation from college DB's, he simply won battles at the point of attack.

Thomas is a great talent and prospect, and is very similiar to Marshall in terms of utilizing his body to make catches, as opposed to separating from his defender and catching the ball on the run.

silkamilkamonico
05-11-2010, 07:25 PM
And I wasn't saying anything that wasn't true.

I'm not going to sit here and hate on your opinion about our picks, but your argument for what our "team needs" were was terrible. And you haven't tried to justify your reasoning for that.

Can you explain this?

Guard isn't a big need How do you figure this?

the Broncos still have not addressed the front 7, which was horrible last year. Walton doesn’t have the positional value you’d like out of this pick considering how much help the Broncos need on the defensive line.

If Denver didn't address the dline, how do you explain 3 starting Dlinemen signed via free agency?

If you want to argue that they aren't a long term solution, that's fine, but what's worse is you say we drafted "the top center" in the 3rd round, and then say he "doesn't have the positional value", and is only "decent value" in the 3rd round, even though another C was taking in the first round?

You do realize that Denver doesn't have a legit C with experience on their roster, don't you? So we get the best C in your mind in the 3rd round, and it was 'marginally adequate'? That's a terrible argument.

CB was the one position they didn't need to address

L O L And how do you figure that? Because they have old and experienced players? How is that any different than our dline situation, in which you said was a terrible need?

What's worse, is you went with our second CB chosen in the fifth round, and gave it a "B+", without even acknowledging, according to you, that we absolutely did not address the secondary.

Sorry man, but your evaluation of a good portion of the picks makes absolutely no sense at all, and you contradict an earlier argument you made more than 1 time.

BroncoAV06
05-11-2010, 08:45 PM
I believe one of the worst things you can do is to emulate other sports writers. Only a select few are competent craftsmen. The vast majority are those who chose Journalism as a major only because no math was involved.

True, I am going for journalism because math sucks!

Bosco
05-11-2010, 11:01 PM
Sorry dude, that thing was full of fail.

Bosco
05-11-2010, 11:05 PM
Wow, I just read through the rest of that piece and I hereby upgrade your fail status to the following.

http://halfiranian.com/wp-content/uploads/atomic_bomb_explosion.jpg

Oddly enough, your credibility was in the the epicenter of the blast.

stevenlourie
05-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Wow, I just read through the rest of that piece and I hereby upgrade your fail status to the following.

http://halfiranian.com/wp-content/uploads/atomic_bomb_explosion.jpg

Oddly enough, your credibility was in the the epicenter of the blast.

yea, reasons for why i suck are overrated, pictures of explosions r much cooler

Bosco
05-12-2010, 01:02 AM

I think it's been pretty well covered, so do you really want me to start dissecting your article?

Look, you wrote a really shitty take, came here and asked for our opinions and we told you it was shit. There is no shame in that, especially since you're apparently new to this. Just focus on making your next piece better, which can easily be done with more research, more critical thinking and less emotion.

Oh, and a spell checker too.

Good luck.

silkamilkamonico
05-12-2010, 02:13 AM

Great job explaining your argument once again.

You're failing again, and again, and again on this.

Mr D
05-12-2010, 02:22 AM
Both were very fast, big play threats, that dropped numerous footballs thrown to them throughout their career.

Since when was D. Thomas' hands a question in his game? He definitely was prone to drop balls - but don't start avoiding other aspects of the game. Sure they were similar in THOSE aspects. I can say Miles Austin, Randy Moss, Larry Fitzgerald, TO, Calvin Johnson, Andre Johnson are all big play threats - but they're all completely different receivers.

So to sit here and start pulling out similarities and conclude that their similar as players shows nothing but ignorance. You really think if you asked a coach who study film on both players would say, yeah they're the same?

Williamson averaged almost 30 ypc in his freshmen year, and then followed that up with almost 20 ypc his junior season before leaving. He wasn't quite the big play threat, but then again, opposing defenses didn't have focus on arguably the best running QB in the nation along with the best RB in the ACC.

Are you kidding me? Are you seriously going to use a 17 reception and 6 game season to make a point? That's horrible, and pretty desperate reach to try to prove a point. :lol:

D.Thomas averaged 25 YPC over a full season... which eventually accumulated to over 1000 yards.

I really like Demaryius Thomas, but calling someone's opinion on him wrong and then following that up with college production a terrible counter argument.
:lol: he labeled D.Thomas as not a very good player - that's obviously has reference to his COLLEGE performance, so why wouldn't I counter with college production? REread it and think about it.
Come on man - check your comprehension.

silkamilkamonico
05-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Since when was D. Thomas' hands a question in his game? He definitely was prone to drop balls - but don't start avoiding other aspects of the game

Since the first NFL scouting prospects came out on D Thomas. What other aspects of his game would you like to not avoid? The fact that he did, in fact, play in a run option offense that left him with limited route running abilities? BTW, his route running is a question of ability at this point.

So to sit here and start pulling out similarities and conclude that their similar as players shows nothing but ignorance. You really think if you asked a coach who study film on both players would say, yeah they're the same?

How many elite NFL WR prospects were big play threats in a run option under center offense? Considering both players did, and both players shared a nearly identical scouting report as an NFL prospect, I'd say the simliarities are extremely appliable, and to think otheriwse is ignorant. They're two very different players with the football in their hands, but they both share almost identical strengths/weaknesses as a WR.

Will they be similiar NFL players? That remains to be seen.

Are you kidding me? Are you seriously going to use a 17 reception and 6 game season to make a point? That's horrible, and pretty desperate reach to try to prove a point. :lol:

LMAO...what, his 43 catches his junior year for 19.4 ypc wasn't enough for you?

D.Thomas averaged 25 YPC over a full season... which eventually accumulated to over 1000 yards.

So did Brennan Marion last year. Don't worry, I had to look his name up as well.

:lol: he labeled D.Thomas as not a very good player - that's obviously has reference to his COLLEGE performance, so why wouldn't I counter with college production? REread it and think about it.
Come on man - check your comprehension.

He's forming an opinion on his at the next level. What, you wanna argue opinions? If you honestly believe he's saying he wasn't a good player in college, I don't know what to tell you. He says he's not a very good player, and then goes on to form an opinion on his route running, and hands. along with his separation. Unless you think he was actually good at those, which would be football stupid, it isn't hard to see he was talking about the jump to the next level. He also said he was productive, but I'm betting you're going to choose to overlook that.

Go ahead and say you disagree with his opinions, but before you get to bent out of shape about a guy who has yet to play a down in the NFL, remember more people than not actually tried to defend a prospect like Troy Williamson as well.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-12-2010, 04:05 AM
That was an abomination to journalism, where the hell is King87?

Mr D
05-12-2010, 04:22 AM
Since the first NFL scouting prospects came out on D Thomas. What other aspects of his game would you like to not avoid? The fact that he did, in fact, play in a run option offense that left him with limited route running abilities? BTW, his route running is a question of ability at this point.

When am I "avoiding" this?

How many elite NFL WR prospects were big play threats in an option offense?

How many QB's in the drafted in the 6th round leads teams to 3 super bowls? How many QBs that don't start a game in college get a huge QB contract and is starter in 1 of 32 professional football teams?

Seriously - you can go on forever about this how many _____ turn good when they were _______. It really only takes 1.

Didn't Gtech run the option offense when Calvin was there?

LMAO...what, his 43 catches his junior year for 19.4 ypc wasn't enough for you?

You were desperate - obviously.

19.4 yards and 25.1 yards is a huge difference - that's closer to a 6 yard margin than a 5 yard margin... that is a HUGE margin.

Keep reaching though.

So did Brennan Marion last year. Don't worry, I had to look his name up as well.

This is pathetic - and shows amateurism when attempting to disprove of a point. Seriously - what you're petty much saying is that college production means nothing. :lol:

You can pretty much find any player and start spinning stats in this fashion when it comes to college football... or many other sports as well. Vernon Davis also had 13 TDs! So that means that Larry Fitzgerald's 13 TD's don't mean much either.

Freddie Barnes set a record with 143 receptions last year, so therefore anyone bringing in receptions as backing to an ability of a player becomes completely invalid because of this.

So I guess NFL team's have it all wrong when they have college production in their grading formula.

:lol:

He's forming an opinion on his at the next level. What, you wanna argue opinions? If you honestly believe he's saying he wasn't a good player in college, I don't know what to tell you. He also said he was productive, but I'm betting you're going to choose to overlook that.

He was pretty much attempting he wasn't a good player in college or at all... but he had to give respect with his line, "decently productive"... he was addressing his college performance - OBVIOUSLY.

Regardless - I'm done talking about this dude, he's a joke anyways.

Go ahead and say you disagree with his opinions, but before you get to bent out of shape about a guy who has yet to play a down in the NFL, remember more people than not actually tried to defend a prospect like Troy Williamson as well.

:lol: I'm pretty aware - as you or whomever decides to dispatch one little segment of my post. I believe I actually ENDED the post in regards to this idea.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-12-2010, 04:28 AM
He doesn't need to run 50 routes, he needs to run fast and break tackles, and that's exacty what he does.

Mr D
05-12-2010, 04:36 AM
How many elite NFL WR prospects were big play threats in a run option under center offense? Considering both players did, and both players shared a nearly identical scouting report as an NFL prospect, I'd say the simliarities are extremely appliable, and to think otheriwse is ignorant. They're two very different players with the football in their hands, but they both share almost identical strengths/weaknesses as a WR.

Will they be similiar NFL players? That remains to be seen.

So I guess, size of the player, character, etc has nothing to do with it. The fact that D. Thomas is a much bigger WR, this changes the dynamics.

Demaryius Thomas was noted for his great blocking skills.

You keep showing desperation by pulling up these scouting reports and avoiding everything else. Let's see...

Very fast
Great on the deep ball
Good hands
Greatly effects the game plan of opposing defense

You can probably think of a handful of players with similar "scouting" reports but are completely different players because you're completely disregarding the aspects that actually, DIFFERENT.

Steve Smith, Randy Moss, and Calvin would probably fall under this "scouting report." :lol:

Amazing accuracy
Reads defenses like a magician
Can murder you in the short, mid, and deep ball
Can take games over
Smart, studies the game
Uses the whole field

Who?

Drew Brees and Peyton Manning... however they are two different types of QBs.

You can always try to link people together - just as people tried to link Bay Bay and Marshall... however Bay Bay has a deep ball game.

silkamilkamonico
05-12-2010, 04:41 AM
Didn't Gtech run the option offense when Calvin was there?

No. They ran the typical spread offense. It was only Paul Johnson's second year at GT/

You were desperate - obviously.

19.4 yards and 25.1 yards is a huge difference - that's closer to a 6 yard margin than a 5 yard margin... that is a HUGE margin.

Keep reaching though.

Enter the Brennan Marion = DThomas argument in terms of college stats.

This is pathetic - and shows amateurism when attempting to disprove of a point. Seriously - what you're petty much saying is that college production means nothing. :lol:

In terms of NFL production, yea. Care to argue against colleges stat leaders as NFL players? What's next, the NFL is seriously missing the boat on all previous Texas Tech/Hawaii QB's as well?

LMAO

You can pretty much find any player and start spinning stats in this fashion when it comes to college football... or many other sports as well. Vernon Davis also had 13 TDs! So that means that Larry Fitzgerald's 13 TD's don't mean much either.

What about scouting reports? Can you do that with those as well?

Freddie Barnes set a record with 143 receptions last year, so therefore anyone bringing in receptions as backing to an ability of a player becomes completely invalid because of this.

And he went undrafted. What were you saying about college stats?

So I guess NFL team's have it all wrong when they have college production in their grading formula.

:lol:

LOL How many more times can you contradict your own argument?

He was pretty much attempting he wasn't a good player in college or at all... but he had to give respect with his line, "decently productive"... he was addressing his college performance - OBVIOUSLY.

I'm pretty sure he was talking about his transition into the NFL. If he honestly thought he was not a good player being drafted in the 1st round, his grade should have been an F. Considering he doesn't even know his grading criteria for our CB's, I wouldn't be surprised if it carried over into this argument.

silkamilkamonico
05-12-2010, 04:48 AM
So I guess, size of the player, character, etc has nothing to do with it. The fact that D. Thomas is a much bigger WR, this changes the dynamics.

Demaryius Thomas was noted for his great blocking skills.

You keep showing desperation by pulling up these scouting reports and avoiding everything else. Let's see...

Very fast
Great on the deep ball
Good hands
Greatly effects the game plan of opposing defense

You can probably think of a handful of players with similar "scouting" reports but are completely different players because you're completely disregarding the aspects that actually, DIFFERENT.

Way to include "great hands". He has good hands at times. He's also very inconsistent. Good reach on that one though.

Amazing accuracy
Reads defenses like a magician
Can murder you in the short, mid, and deep ball
Can take games over
Smart, studies the game
Uses the whole field

Who?

Drew Brees and Peyton Manning... however they are two different types of QBs.

You can always try to link people together - just as people tried to link Bay Bay and Marshall... however Bay Bay has a deep ball game.

Just like Texas Tech/Hawaii QB's. The more I think about this, the more scouting reports are a complete joke, and we're both the village idiot along with Fido here.

Mr D
05-12-2010, 04:52 AM
Look - it seems like you have an assumption that I put a lot of weight into college production and it seems as if you're putting a lot of weight into these scouting reports that are not in depth nor realistic to what a real NFL head would see.

I'm really not putting emphasis onto college stats and trying to say that, ok look it means he will be successful in the NFL. It does have relevance, but it's not the only factor and sometimes not even the most important one. However, sometimes it plays a big role (Sam Bradford).

I think it's obvious by now that sometimes, or a lot of times, college stats don't always equate to great NFL production (Reggie Bush).

However, understand that teams do have college production as a criteria under their grading scales. How big it is - I don't know - but if you go and watch all the GMs talk they will always address this.

To be CLEAR, I ultimately think game tape for MOST good teams is what contributes to their grading of a player.

There is way too many variables in the game of football for you, I, or anyone to be arguing about one aspect.

With the stats, I'm saying you just have to take a look and take it into account.

Now with D.Thomas and Williams - you can say they have similar scouting reports - but as I tried to prove with my previous post - there are many other variables that will/does separate them - many important ones too such as size. Even coaching, team, system, etc. Like I said, SO MANY VARIABLES.

I'll agree to disagree, disagree to agree... :lol: