PDA

View Full Version : Broncos outlook for 2008

O-ManePunisher
05-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Solomon Wilcotts discusses Broncos outlook for 2008 and if they can challenge the Chargers in the AFC west.
http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8083e831

Lonestar
05-13-2008, 02:40 PM
pretty good analysis of the problem..

Thanks for the link..

shank
05-13-2008, 02:43 PM
while i don't disagree with his analysis, he doesn't mention that we dropped from the top 5 down to only 9 iirc. i think if we are top 5, that we will be playing very well, the fact that we are THAT reliant on a dominating run game to win, it reveals that we have other holes, that when fixed, will limit the affect of the run game on our record.

Lonestar
05-13-2008, 03:19 PM
while i don't disagree with his analysis, he doesn't mention that we dropped from the top 5 down to only 9 iirc. i think if we are top 5, that we will be playing very well, the fact that we are THAT reliant on a dominating run game to win, it reveals that we have other holes, that when fixed, will limit the affect of the run game on our record.

stats are nice but scoring is more important..

running between the 20's does not count..

all that much.. thats where most of the yards for the 9th spot came from..

NorthernLights
05-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Being the off season, I have read through everything available, watched NFL Network to the point where channel 212 turns my wife towards the dark side, and continously perused this and other forums and one thing that isn't mentioned as a big deal for the Broncos is the lack of a kicking game.

According to three different websites, the only field goal kicker on the Broncos right now has one career figgie. Considering the Broncos won 4 games last year with game ending FG's, and with Elam nowhere to be seen, I would have thought this would have been more of a talker. Maybe as the off season drags along, we'll see.

Am I missing something here?

Nature Boy
05-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Our running game is the least that we should worry about on the offensive side assuming that Nalen and Hamilton will come back at the same caliber as when they sat out and Clady filling his role as the 12th overall pick LT.

It's the passing corps that is in question. We do not have a reliable #2 much less someone to fill the #1 WR spot if Marshall isn't 100%. Hopefully Marshall's right arm and hand is healed 100% without permanent nerve damage and he'll be able to go full speed this summer.

Lonestar
05-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Our running game is the least that we should worry about on the offensive side assuming that Nalen and Hamilton will come back at the same caliber as when they sat out and Clady filling his role as the 12th overall pick LT.

It's the passing corps that is in question. We do not have a reliable #2 much less someone to fill the #1 WR spot if Marshall isn't 100%. Hopefully Marshall's right arm and hand is healed 100% without permanent nerve damage and he'll be able to go full speed this summer.

you sound alot like Obama with HOPE and Change..

shank
05-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Being the off season, I have read through everything available, watched NFL Network to the point where channel 212 turns my wife towards the dark side, and continously perused this and other forums and one thing that isn't mentioned as a big deal for the Broncos is the lack of a kicking game.

According to three different websites, the only field goal kicker on the Broncos right now has one career figgie. Considering the Broncos won 4 games last year with game ending FG's, and with Elam nowhere to be seen, I would have thought this would have been more of a talker. Maybe as the off season drags along, we'll see.

we have 2. we have prater, who has a big leg, but as you've seen lacks consistency. we also signed garett hartley out of oklahoma to compete. between the two we will get a FG and kickoff kicker, but i'm not exactly happy that we passed on coutu in the 7th...

Nature Boy
05-13-2008, 04:37 PM

You know, the upcoming season relies on weather Nalen and Hamilton can come in and secure that Oline once again. Those 2 guys are the core of the that line. The last 2 seasons fell apart after Hamilton, then Nalen then Lepsis went out with injuries. Lepsis isn't coming back but we've got Clady. Hopefully Hamilton's head is OK now and Nalen isn't too old to play still.

Much of your sarcasms in general and downright narcissistic wrong assessments of the Broncos F/O, particularly the head coach, and downright negative pessimistic views for the Broncos makes me think you are the "Great Zamboni" of the late awful forum site BroncosFreak.com. If you are, don't be ashamed, go "poof" and reveal yourself.

Lonestar
05-13-2008, 04:55 PM
You know, the upcoming season relies on weather Nalen and Hamilton can come in and secure that Oline once again. Those 2 guys are the core of the that line. The last 2 seasons fell apart after Hamilton, then Nalen then Lepsis went out with injuries. Lepsis isn't coming back but we've got Clady. Hopefully Hamilton's head is OK now and Nalen isn't too old to play still.

Much of your sarcasms in general and downright narcissistic wrong assessments of the Broncos F/O, particularly the head coach, and downright negative pessimistic views for the Broncos makes me think you are the "Great Zamboni" of the late awful forum site BroncosFreak.com. If you are, don't be ashamed, go "poof" and reveal yourself.

your correct about the OLINE wrong about the later..

Sorry if I'm not mister happy enough for you about the Broncs, but so far we have a bunch kiddies trying to take the place of grizzled old vets or what should be the back bone of this team.. Those drafted and acquired 1996 though 2005, but none is home other than Champ, DJ, Lynch ..Nalen and Hamilton..
five maybe starters and a bunch of backups IF most of them make the roster this year...

here is a list..
21 Abdullah, Hamza S 6' 2" 216 24 4th Washington State PS(TB)- '05
24 Bailey, Champ CB 6' 0" 192 29 10th Georgia T (Was)-'04
91 Ekuban, Ebenezer DE 6' 4" 275 31 10th North Carolina T (Cle)-'05
60 Engelberger, John DE 6' 4" 260 31 9th Virginia Tech T (SF)-'05
22 Foxworth, Domonique CB 5' 11" 180 24 4th Maryland D3b-'05
53 Green, Louis LB 6' 3" 237 28 5th Alcorn State FA-03
50 Hamilton, Ben G/C 6' 4" 290 30 8th Minnesota D4a-'01
81 Jackson, Nate TE 6' 3" 235 28 6th Menlo T (S.F.)-'03
83 Leach, Mike TE/LS 6' 2" 240 31 9th William & Mary FA-02
47 Lynch, John S 6' 2" 220 36 16th Stanford FA-'04
66 Nalen, Tom C 6' 3" 286 36 15th Boston College D7c-94
41 Paymah, Karl CB 6' 0" 195 25 4th Washington State D3a-'05
64 Pears, Erik T 6' 8" 305 25 3rd Colorado State CFA-'05
37 Sapp, Cecil RB 5' 11" 229 29 6th Colorado State CFA-'03
55 Williams, D.J. LB 6' 1" 242 25 5th Miami (Fla.) D1-'04

Is truly sorry roster that has to rely on EVERY draft choice making a contribution to the squad for it to have a .500 season. IF that..

What are the odds of all of those players drafted 2006 and beyond will be on this team in 3 years.. let alone starting..

Those my young friend, are the facts.. as I see them..

NameUsedBefore
05-13-2008, 05:07 PM

2-1-2 is so easy to put into the remote... I've missed it for too long... :(

Anyway, I can't see us pushing the Chargers. I can see the Chargers absolutely falling apart because that team really seems like it's on the verge of imploding after yet another playoff disappointment. But if the Chargers stick together I can't see us touching them, run game or not.

BroncoWave
05-13-2008, 05:10 PM

And that sounds alot like a P&R post. :D

Lonestar
05-13-2008, 05:36 PM

Anyway, I can't see us pushing the Chargers. I can see the Chargers absolutely falling apart because that team really seems like it's on the verge of imploding after yet another playoff disappointment. But if the Chargers stick together I can't see us touching them, run game or not.

I thought the dolts would implode with Norv at the helm he just made them better. DO think he can coach them to the super bowl.. but they are the team we have to beat consistently to get a playoff berth and I do not see that happening this year..

WARHORSE
05-14-2008, 12:00 AM

Cant touch the Dolts?

Open yer eyes........BE HEALED!!!!!:argh::argh::argh:

WARHORSE
05-14-2008, 12:00 AM

Cant touch the Dolts?

TXBRONC
05-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Cant touch the Dolts?

Ok Jimmy Swaggert. :D

Nature Boy
05-14-2008, 12:08 AM
Is truly sorry roster that has to rely on EVERY draft choice making a contribution to the squad for it to have a .500 season. IF that..

Those my young friend, are the facts.. as I see them..

Come on. We went 7-9, should have beat GB and Chicago and went 9-7, this with the most atrocious defense and running game I have even seen from a Denver team. What makes you think we wont break .500 with all the off season moves and implementing a more basic defense?

Have some optimism or you might as well hibernate for the winter.

O-ManePunisher
05-14-2008, 12:15 AM
Come on. We went 7-9, should have beat GB and Chicago and went 9-7, this with the most atrocious defense and running game I have even seen from a Denver team. What makes you think we wont break .500 with all the off season moves and implementing a more basic defense?

Have some optimism or you might as well hibernate for the winter.

Oh don't remind me of the Chi town game...I have a broken window because of that game...:rolleyes:

TXBRONC
05-14-2008, 12:19 AM
Oh don't remind me of the Chi town game...I have a broken window because of that game...:rolleyes:

The way Denver lost both of those games bothered me quite a bit.

O-ManePunisher
05-14-2008, 12:22 AM
The way Denver lost both of those games bothered me quite a bit.

Bothered You? You should of seen me after the Green Bay game i think i woke up everybody on my street....