PDA

View Full Version : Browns Frye Delt to Seahawks

BroncoAV06
09-11-2007, 01:16 PM
Well Derek Anderson did look better, but dang after one game Frye gets teh boot. Brady Quinn era in Cleveland looks like it is approaching fast.

http://http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014233

Just one game into the season, the Cleveland Browns will make a change at quarterback, as the team on Tuesday afternoon dealt third-year veteran Charlie Frye, who started Sunday's regular-season opener but was benched early in the game, to the Seattle Seahawks.

Frye
It is believed that the Browns, who spent much of Monday seeking a trade partner for Frye, received a draft choice in return.

There is no word yet on who will start for Cleveland in next Sunday's home game against the Cincinnati Bengals. The departure of Frye could pave the way for the Browns to turn the starting job over to first-round draft pick Brady Quinn of Notre Dame, but general manager Phil Savage on Monday cautioned that it might be too early for the former Notre Dame star to be elevated to that status.

Savage cited the 1999 season when, after a blowout loss to Pittsburgh, the Browns benched starting veteran Ty Detmer and moved first-round pick Tim Couch, the top overall selection in the draft that year, into the lineup. Cleveland finished 2-14 that season, and Couch, clearly not ready yet to start, struggled throughout the year.

There had been rumors following Sunday's lopsided loss to the Steelers that Frye might be traded or released. Frye completed only four of 10 passes for 34 yards and an interception in the game -- a QB rating of 10.0 -- and was replaced by Derek Anderson at 6;34 of the second quarter. Anderson did not fare much better, going 13-of-28 for 184 yards.

Those rumors gained some steam Monday when journeyman quarterback Ken Dorsey, who had been a mentor to Quinn in training camp, arrived at the Browns' complex. The team is expected to re-sign Dorsey, a four-year veteran, on Tuesday afternoon.

Frye, 26, was a third-round choice in the 2005 draft, and the former Akron star moved into the starting lineup in the final month of his rookie campaign. He started the first 13 games in 2006, then missed the final three outings of the year with a wrist injury.

In camp this summer, Frye competed with Anderson for the top job on the depth chart, and was named the starter the week before the opener. But the loss to Pittsburgh was disastrous and the Browns decided to make a quick change.

In his three-year career, Frye has completed 354 of 568 passes for 3,490 yards, with 14 touchdown passes and 24 interceptions, for an efficiency rating of 70.2. He has started in 19 of his 21 appearances.

With the Seahawks, Frye will be the No. 3 quarterback on the depth chart, behind starter Matt Hasselbeck and primary backup Seneca Wallace, who recently signed a contract extension. The Seahawks have been seeking another veteran quarterback since releasing David Greene in the final cutdown to the 53-player roster.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com.

Mike
09-11-2007, 01:21 PM
Why would the Seachickens want Frye? :confused:

Cleveland Rocks
09-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Well Derek Anderson did look better, but dang after one game Frye gets teh boot. Brady Quinn era in Cleveland looks like it is approaching fast.

http://http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3014233

That sucks, I liked Frye as everyone already knows. I can't believe this ... this was his last year under contract too. It would have been nice to keep him as backup. I have to agree with you though. Plus they brought back Dorsey - who was Quinn's mentor. To ease Quinn into the starting lineup and all. Man, I can't believe this ... Frye gone.

dogfish
09-11-2007, 03:25 PM
trade the nominal starter one week into the season, sheesh. . . well, at least crennel and savage FINALLY made up their minds! of course, even now i won't be surprised if they continue to play musical quarterbacks for the rest of the season-- which is probably the worst thing they could do. . . they need to just pick a guy and stick with him already! make a choice and let him play for more than a few quarters. . .

when you keep switching guys in and out, NONE of them get a chance to build any confidence or rhythm, let alone do any serious learning or development. . . if they decide to play quinn, they'd better be ready to let him play his way through some mistakes instead of pulling him for anderson at halftime if they aren't winning. . . i know those guys want to win to save their jobs, but there comes a point where you need to suck it up and do what's best for the franchise that's paying your check, and that would be committing to developing one of their QBs. . . if quinn has to play with anderson watching over his shoulder and waiting to come in at the first bad throw, it's not going to be good for his confidence at all. . .

i know charlie probably doesn't want to hear it, but i have a strong feeling crennel will be gone by the end of the year at the latest, and it's possible that savage could be gone as well. . . i see them making a run at someone like cowher or schottenheimer. . .

Medford Bronco
09-11-2007, 03:31 PM
its time for the Browns to go with Quinn, who will be better than Frye
Anderson et all by a mile.

Just my opinion Chrarlie. Let him learn on the job, Better than rotting on the bench

Kapaibro
09-11-2007, 04:23 PM
Bye bye Frye.

Though Charlie Brown did tell me the the chant went up for Quinn with 9:24 left in the 2nd quarter!

Watchthemiddle
09-11-2007, 04:46 PM
Watch for Brady soon. I would start him this week. You have already traded your starter, so what do you have to lose?

I would like to hear a dawg fans opinion on this.

Cleveland Rocks
09-11-2007, 05:38 PM
Let him learn on the job, Better than rotting on the bench

Worked well for Ryan Leaf didn't it?

He sure learned a lot on the job.

Cleveland Rocks
09-11-2007, 05:49 PM
Bye bye Frye.

Though Charlie Brown did tell me the the chant went up for Quinn with 9:24 left in the 2nd quarter!

People say extremely stupid things when they are angry and upset. Crennel should have known better than to give in to the mob. BTW, it's Cleveland Rocks now.

I want to disassociate with Charlie Brown. I hated that name and still hate it - I only changed it because everyone wanted me to change it (from Dawgfan).

dogfish
09-11-2007, 06:12 PM
People say extremely stupid things when they are angry and upset. Crennel should have known better than to give in to the mob. BTW, it's Cleveland Rocks now.

I want to disassociate with Charlie Brown. I hated that name and still hate it - I only changed it because everyone wanted me to change it (from Dawgfan).

as long as you promise to never change your sig, we'll call you whatever you want. . .

Cleveland Rocks
09-11-2007, 06:16 PM
as long as you promise to never change your sig, we'll call you whatever you want. . .

No worries, I am not changing it anytime soon.

the real one is a lot bigger.

But, I figured it was TOO big. I may give it a try later, see if it works out.

Gonna try it out.

dogfish
09-11-2007, 06:58 PM
No worries, I am not changing it anytime soon.

the real one is a lot bigger.

But, I figured it was TOO big. I may give it a try later, see if it works out.

Gonna try it out.

with that GIF, definitely not too big! :2thumbs:

Slick
09-11-2007, 07:17 PM

Quoted for emphasis!!! I love me some Jessica Alba. :eek:

I may have made a CB reference in another thread. I'm bad about not typing out others names.

I dig your new name....CR. :D

Cleveland Rocks
09-11-2007, 07:22 PM
Quoted for emphasis!!! I love me some Jessica Alba. :eek:

I may have made a CB reference in another thread. I'm bad about not typing out others names.

I dig your new name....CR. :D

Apparantly the "Girls" don't like my signature. I have to take it down.

BroncoWave
09-11-2007, 07:25 PM
Remember what happened last time the Browns inserted a rookie QB in week 2...Tim Couch. We all know how that turned out. I really don't see any point in putting him in right now. Maybe closer to the end of the season.

Slick
09-11-2007, 07:30 PM

What!!!!! That is a travesty!!!

It better go both ways. I've never complained about shirtless men or some workout freak posing as a fireman.

To qoute my man Jeffrey Lebowski..."That's a bummer man."

dogfish
09-11-2007, 08:13 PM

WHAT???!!!

said who? what a bunch of crap-- she was properly covered. . .

Cleveland Rocks
09-11-2007, 08:15 PM
WHAT???!!!

said who? what a bunch of crap-- she was properly covered. . .

It was in a PM. That the women weren't happy with my signature and have been complaining and head's up to take it down.

dogfish
09-11-2007, 08:17 PM
It was in a PM. That the women weren't happy with my signature and have been complaining and head's up to take it down.

wow. . . just wow. . .

not sure what else to say. . .

but i agree with slick 100%, we better not be seeing any half-naked dudes posted around here if that's the way the wind blows!

omac
09-11-2007, 10:16 PM
trade the nominal starter one week into the season, sheesh. . . well, at least crennel and savage FINALLY made up their minds! of course, even now i won't be surprised if they continue to play musical quarterbacks for the rest of the season-- which is probably the worst thing they could do. . . they need to just pick a guy and stick with him already! make a choice and let him play for more than a few quarters. . .

when you keep switching guys in and out, NONE of them get a chance to build any confidence or rhythm, let alone do any serious learning or development. . . if they decide to play quinn, they'd better be ready to let him play his way through some mistakes instead of pulling him for anderson at halftime if they aren't winning. . . i know those guys want to win to save their jobs, but there comes a point where you need to suck it up and do what's best for the franchise that's paying your check, and that would be committing to developing one of their QBs. . . if quinn has to play with anderson watching over his shoulder and waiting to come in at the first bad throw, it's not going to be good for his confidence at all. . .

i know charlie probably doesn't want to hear it, but i have a strong feeling crennel will be gone by the end of the year at the latest, and it's possible that savage could be gone as well. . . i see them making a run at someone like cowher or schottenheimer. . .

Excellent post, I agree with every point you mentioned.

And Frye getting traded to Seattle may actually be a good thing; Mike Holmgren is a great coach whose brought along Favre and his former backup, Hasselback, quite well. Frye might become a better quarterback under a better team with a better coach. :cool:

Medford Bronco
09-11-2007, 10:19 PM
Worked well for Ryan Leaf didn't it?

He sure learned a lot on the job.

The main diffrence between Ryan Leaf
and Brady Quinn

is Quinn is not a moron with an IQ of a salad bar like Leaf had
Also I dont see Quinn as lazy as Leaf

Mark my words, Quinn will be better than Frye and Leaf combined
Frye is not going to see the field in Sea. I wonder why they wanted him.

dogfish
09-11-2007, 10:23 PM
The main diffrence between Ryan Leaf
and Brady Quinn

is Quinn is not a moron with an IQ of a salad bar like Leaf had
Also I dont see Quinn as lazy as Leaf

Mark my words, Quinn will be better than Frye and Leaf combined
Frye is not going to see the field in Sea. I wonder why they wanted him.

they wanted another QB so they can use seneca wallace in more of a "slash" role, getting him invloved as a receiver and returner to take advantage of his speed and athletic ability. . . they were afraid to before, because he's also their primary backup QB-- now, they can use frye as their "gameday" backup, meaning they have another QB with some experience and aren't hosed if wallace does happen to get dinged. . . wallace will still be their primary backup if hasselbeck goes down, but this improves their depth at QB and allows them to get more out of wallace. . .

Medford Bronco
09-11-2007, 10:25 PM
they wanted another QB so they can use seneca wallace in more of a "slash" role, getting him invloved as a receiver and returner to take advantage of his speed and athletic ability. . . they were afraid to before, because he's also their primary backup QB-- now, they can use frye as their "gameday" backup, meaning they have another QB with some experience and aren't hosed if wallace does happen to get dinged. . . wallace will still be their primary backup if hasselbeck goes down, but this improves their depth at QB and allows them to get more out of wallace. . .

I did not know that thanks Dogfish

now would you like a steak :grillin: :laugh: (I just love these smilies)

I hope you agree with me that Quinn will be better than
Ryan "cement head" Leaf?

Cleveland Rocks
09-11-2007, 10:26 PM

I don't remember if I posted a response to this or not.

First off, Frye performed very badly in the game. This was his contract year. The Browns could have either:

A - Bench him and then let him become a free agent
B - Cut him
C - Trade him and maybe get something in return

Which is the better choice?

I went with Option C. So did the Browns. The team got something for a player who by all accounts was going to be gone. I don't think Crennel is going to play "musical chairs" at QB. Anderson is the starter now and Dorsey (who should have never been let go) was brought back. Dorsey knows the system very well and Chud was with him in Miami. Dorsey will help both QB's.

Bill Cowher was born 4 miles West of Pittsburgh. Bill Cowher coached the Pittsburgh Steelers. Bill Cowher has a street in Pittsburgh named after him. Do you REALLY think that people in Cleveland are going to "welcome" him? I sure as heck wouldn't and I am in Colorado. I am a very big Browns fan and I know that there are fans more fanatical than me. If I hate Cowher and do not want him in Cleveland just think of the others.

dogfish
09-11-2007, 10:26 PM
I did not know that thanks Dogfish

now would you like a steak :grillin: :laugh: (I just love these smilies)

I hope you agree with me that Quinn will be better than
Ryan "cement head" Leaf?

sorry buddy, no can do-- i've actually been calling him brady leaf since he was at ND, and i think he's gonna be a bust. . .

dogfish
09-11-2007, 10:28 PM
I don't remember if I posted a response to this or not.

First off, Frye performed very badly in the game. This was his contract year. The Browns could have either:

A - Bench him and then let him become a free agent
B - Cut him
C - Trade him and maybe get something in return

Which is the better choice?

I went with Option C. So did the Browns. The team got something for a player who by all accounts was going to be gone. I don't think Crennel is going to play "musical chairs" at QB. Anderson is the starter now and Dorsey (who should have never been let go) was brought back. Dorsey knows the system very well and Chud was with him in Miami. Dorsey will help both QB's.

Bill Cowher was born 4 miles West of Pittsburgh. Bill Cowher coached the Pittsburgh Steelers. Bill Cowher has a street in Pittsburgh named after him. Do you REALLY think that people in Cleveland are going to "welcome" him? I sure as heck wouldn't and I am in Colorado. I am a very big Browns fan and I know that there are fans more fanatical than me. If I hate Cowher and do not want him in Cleveland just think of the others.

if he could take them to the playoffs, cleveland fans would welcome jack the freakin' ripper. . .

okay, obvious exaggeration, but i think they'd be delighted to have cowher. . . in fact, hold on a minute, i'll find out for you. . .

EDIT: i just called my dad, who's been a brown's fan since the '50s, and he said "hell yes!". . . i had him ask his poker buddies, and he said the sentiment was split pretty evenly. . .

Cleveland Rocks
09-11-2007, 10:29 PM
if he could take them to the playoffs, cleveland fans would welcome jack the freakin' ripper. . .

okay, obvious exaggeration, but i think they'd be delighted to have cowher. . . in fact, hold on a minute, i'll find out for you. . .

Don't tell me you are going to go to the wonderful, wonderful

ESPN or some other "news" network.

If Crennel is fired, his replacement should be Shottenheimer. NOBODY else. You are dead wrong in your assertion that "Browns fans would welcome ANYBODY" so long as they make the playoffs. Squeeler fans are enough trouble as is without having to deal with taunts of "It took a Steeler...."

Medford Bronco
09-11-2007, 10:31 PM
sorry buddy, no can do-- i've actually been calling him brady leaf since he was at ND, and i think he's gonna be a bust. . .

Maybe Brady Couch but not Leaf. Quinn will work hard, unlike that stiff
moron Heath Shuler Type QB Ryan Leaf or was it David Klingler :laugh:

BroncoBJ
09-11-2007, 11:52 PM
How Horrible. :laugh:

I dont know why Seattle needs him though?
They have Hasselback, Seneca Wallace, and Green I think.

eh Doesn't effect me any