PDA

View Full Version : Your Top 10 Comic Movies

MasterShake
05-07-2010, 02:39 PM
The last decade has seen a renaissance of comic book movies. I was just curious which ones (of all time) are your favorites. My list (1=the best).

10. Blade 2-Featuring a C list character in an A list type movie. Loved the look of the vampires and had great action.

9. Sin City-For the first time, captured the "look" of a comic book. Great stories to boot.

8. X-Men 2- A good example of improving on the original. Also a good showcase of how to handle multiple heroes and villains.

7. V for Vendetta- One of my favorite graphic novels done to perfection on the screen.

6. Iron Man- The anti-gritty comic book movie. Good fun and action.

5. Batman 1989- Started the resurgence of comic book movies by proving you could make them serious as well as profitable. A milestone.

4. Watchmen- Love it or hate it, this graphic novel is timeless and this is the most true to book translation ever (except for thankfully losing the giant squid.)

3. Superman II- Kneel before Zod! Technically Superman: The Movie is better but this is the one that I loved as a kid and still holds up today to me.

2. Spiderman 2- Arguably the best comic book movie ever. Had a hard time choosing between this and...

1. The Dark Knight- Don't even know where to start with this movie. A little deeper than it needed to be at times, but overall damn near perfection.

Northman
05-07-2010, 03:18 PM
10. The League of Extradinary Gentlemen- Probably could of been done much better but then again most things that Connery touches turns to gold anyway. Good solid cast and very enjoyable to watch.

9. Superman 2- Definitely the best out of the bunch. Just Superman vs 3 outer space criminals.

8. Blade: Trinity- I love the series but this one takes the cake simply because of Ryan Reynolds and his fantastic one liners. Plus, did i mention Jessica Biel is in it?

7. Ironman- Robert Downey was born to do this role.

6. Hellboy- Ron Perlman makes the most of any character he protrays and does this one excellent.

5. 300- Flat out awesome and not overdone like Sin City.

4. Batman Forever- Probably not my favorite Batman because of the horrible job by Jones as 2-face but Carrey is exceptional and if the rumors are true about Carrey reprising the role in the upcoming Batman only darker i have a lot to look forward too.

3. Watchmen- Definitely the most thought provoking of any comic but well worth the price of admission. Haley does an perfect rendition of the character Rorschach.

2. The Crow- Up until recently this was my favorite movie (tied with Brotherhood of the Wolf) and its unfortuante that Lee died while making this film as he was something special.

1. The Dark Knight- Kind of weird having the top 2 movies feature actors who died while making the films but perhaps that is some of the lure to the films themselves as Ledger absolutely squashed my expectations of what the Joker would be like. Nicholson was great, Ledger was worlds better.

MasterShake
05-07-2010, 03:36 PM
10. The League of Extradinary Gentlemen- Probably could of been done much better but then again most things that Connery touches turns to gold anyway. Good solid cast and very enjoyable to watch.

9. Superman 2- Definitely the best out of the bunch. Just Superman vs 3 outer space criminals.

8. Blade: Trinity- I love the series but this one takes the cake simply because of Ryan Reynolds and his fantastic one liners. Plus, did i mention Jessica Biel is in it?

7. Ironman- Robert Downey was born to do this role.

6. Hellboy- Ron Perlman makes the most of any character he protrays and does this one excellent.

5. 300- Flat out awesome and not overdone like Sin City.

4. Batman Forever- Probably not my favorite Batman because of the horrible job by Jones as 2-face but Carrey is exceptional and if the rumors are true about Carrey reprising the role in the upcoming Batman only darker i have a lot to look forward too.

3. Watchmen- Definitely the most thought provoking of any comic but well worth the price of admission. Haley does an perfect rendition of the character Rorschach.

2. The Crow- Up until recently this was my favorite movie (tied with Brotherhood of the Wolf) and its unfortuante that Lee died while making this film as he was something special.

1. The Dark Knight- Kind of weird having the top 2 movies feature actors who died while making the films but perhaps that is some of the lure to the films themselves as Ledger absolutely squashed my expectations of what the Joker would be like. Nicholson was great, Ledger was worlds better.

Good call on The Crow.

BMF Bronco
05-07-2010, 05:37 PM
damn, you both nailed it, can't improve on either list, so I am going to nod and smile.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-07-2010, 05:45 PM
Sin City, the only comic books I ever read as a little one was the punisher, and the movie they made out of that was garbage.

I don't understand why any grown men would watch comic book movies?

MasterShake
05-07-2010, 07:12 PM
Sin City, the only comic books I ever read as a little one was the punisher, and the movie they made out of that was garbage.

Same reason I watch a bunch of "grown men" play a game of football. I enjoy it. :)

Also, many of the movies listed so far are based on very adult graphic novels. It's just an interesting genre to me. I'm mostly compelled by the mythology angle, as comics are essentially modern myths. I'm a big Joseph Campbell fan.

gnomeflinger
05-07-2010, 07:39 PM
I can't name any other movie not listed.

dogfish
05-07-2010, 07:59 PM

you do realize you're talking about a guy who has a milkshake riding a unicorn as his avatar, right?

:lol:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-07-2010, 09:55 PM
I just don't understand the super hero shit, it makes no sense to me as it is as far from reality as could possibly be. You know what I mean? Super man type stuff - I don't understand the appeal. I liked the punisher as a kid because to me he was a BADASS, he shot and punched whoever he wanted at the time, but I don't understand the appeal for young boys and grown men both, when it comes to tight spandex and cape wearing flying men with trapezious muscles. I don't see why it's so appealing to folks, maybe someone could explain?

dogfish
05-07-2010, 10:01 PM
http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/4153/1234443439sincityjessic.gif (http://img41.imageshack.us/i/1234443439sincityjessic.gif/)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us (http://imageshack.us)

MasterShake
05-08-2010, 03:47 PM
I just don't understand the super hero shit, it makes no sense to me as it is as far from reality as could possibly be. You know what I mean? Super man type stuff - I don't understand the appeal. I liked the punisher as a kid because to me he was a BADASS, he shot and punched whoever he wanted at the time, but I don't understand the appeal for young boys and grown men both, when it comes to tight spandex and cape wearing flying men with trapezious muscles. I don't see why it's so appealing to folks, maybe someone could explain?

I'll try to explain a little more then. On my list, a movie like Superman is just that, a movie that I liked as a kid featuring some unrealistic shit. A movie like V for Vendetta however is a social commentary on oppressive fascism, and Watchmen is a cautionary tale set during the cold war dealing how far men will go to obtain piece.

Yes, "Comic Books" for the most part are kid friendly fair, but a lot of the movies we listed are a mix of stuff we liked as a kid and also very hardcore adult graphic novels. As a matter of fact, Watchmen made TIME magazines top 100 novels of the 20th century.

As I've stated before, no one thinks of Greek mythology as kiddie stuff, and that basically what modern day Superheroes and Graphic Novels offer us. Myths give us fantastical settings and Gods with super human powers and thrust them into morality plays. To brush of a movie like Sin City as a childrens book tells me you are confusing 25 cent comic books with actual literary treasures. Sin City features hookers, serial killers, and more blood than a Rambo movie.

I for one don't watch a super hero movie to see some dude in tights and a cape or whatever. If you want to know where I'm coming from you have to lose the short sidedness of thinking this is children's literature. Pick up a movie like V for Vendetta sometime and give it a shot. Its as deep a message as a drama, and has just as much "silly" action as something like Die Hard. If your only complaint is that the movie is not realistic, then you should not watch movies unless they are documentaries. Every movie you see bends the truth to some extent, "comic book" movies just don't hide it. I think to dismiss them as ridiculous nonsense is a mistake.

Its one thing not to like a genre of movies, but there really is some deep undercurrents going on even in something as silly as Batman. Is it just a movie about a guy running around in a bat suit? Or is there some deeper meaning? Some people see it, others don't. To each their own.

So my short answer is this- Comic Book movies are modern day myths and myths are there to teach us humanity. If you look at The Dark Knight and just see people in Halloween costumes, you aren't looking close enough.

LordTrychon
05-08-2010, 04:35 PM
I for one never really got the point of questioning other people's means and tastes in entertainment and leisure regarding things that are generally fairly popular (i.e.... I'm not saying you can't question the sanity of SOME things).

I personally HATE mushrooms. I think they are one of THE MOST vile and horrible things there is. Period. Nasty ugly things. Yet, I know that it's a personal preference of mine, and the fact that other people like them is just that. Fact.

Not trying to pick on any one person... I've seen this sort of question before... and it really makes me curious... why question a fairly popular form of entertainment? If you don't like far fetched movies as an escape (sometimes, for me... the further away something is from our own reality, the more of an escape it is... especially if it's an enveloping, deep, rich, submersive universe (Superheroes, Harry Potter, Star Wars) I'm not sure what it is you do like... but I'm sure there's probably plenty of people who don't enjoy the same things you do.

*shrug*

/offtopic.

Great lists, guys. :salute:

Northman
05-08-2010, 04:38 PM
Movies are generally made for entertainment purposes. I get entertained watching superheroes running around beating up bad guys. Its a nice escape from the real world in which sometimes the bad guys win. But in the end its just pure entertainment. Why make a movie about real life? We already know what thats like so why not show some imagination which is what a superhero movie is about. Obviously, its not for everyone but for me i quite enjoy them if they are well made. But i agree, the Punisher has never had a good movie made about him.

MasterShake
05-08-2010, 05:11 PM
Movies are generally made for entertainment purposes. I get entertained watching superheroes running around beating up bad guys. Its a nice escape from the real world in which sometimes the bad guys win. But in the end its just pure entertainment. Why make a movie about real life? We already know what thats like so why not show some imagination which is what a superhero movie is about. Obviously, its not for everyone but for me i quite enjoy them if they are well made. But i agree, the Punisher has never had a good movie made about him.

I saw the Punisher with Dolph Lundgren and the other one a few years back. I heard Warzone was supposed to be better, but never saw it.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-08-2010, 08:24 PM
I for one never really got the point of questioning other people's means and tastes in entertainment and leisure regarding things that are generally fairly popular (i.e.... I'm not saying you can't question the sanity of SOME things).

I personally HATE mushrooms. I think they are one of THE MOST vile and horrible things there is. Period. Nasty ugly things. Yet, I know that it's a personal preference of mine, and the fact that other people like them is just that. Fact.

Not trying to pick on any one person... I've seen this sort of question before... and it really makes me curious... why question a fairly popular form of entertainment? If you don't like far fetched movies as an escape (sometimes, for me... the further away something is from our own reality, the more of an escape it is... especially if it's an enveloping, deep, rich, submersive universe (Superheroes, Harry Potter, Star Wars) I'm not sure what it is you do like... but I'm sure there's probably plenty of people who don't enjoy the same things you do.

*shrug*

/offtopic.

Great lists, guys. :salute:

I don't know how you're comparing movies to mushrooms, so I don't really have any response to that. :lol:

I like movies that are rooted in reality, if your reality is so bad that you have to temporarily live in a fantasy world for what you call an "escape", maybe you're not fulfilled or something?

LordTrychon
05-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I don't know how you're comparing movies to mushrooms, so I don't really have any response to that. :lol:

I like movies that are rooted in reality, if your reality is so bad that you have to temporarily live in a fantasy world for what you call an "escape", maybe you're not fulfilled or something?

Point was just that it's a difference in preference. lol. There's millions of people that enjoy this sort of entertainment, and it has nothing to do with anything other than that.

Different from you /= maladjusted.

Imagination's not a bad thing. I like things that exercise mine.

Northman
05-08-2010, 09:10 PM

You know dude, everyone's entitled to an opinion or a certain viewpoint. But you dont have to come into this thread and try to insult people. If your here to troll or be a dick just take your garbage elsewhere. If you had a serious question as too why people like fantasy movies than fine, but dont come in and start insulting people. Nobody in this thread is saying they cant deal with "reality" or that its that bad. We are simply saying that we like to watch a movie where it doesnt have to deal with reality. Again, maybe its not your kind of movie fodder but there are many people who dig these kinds of movies just like there are those who only watch black and white movies because they consider that the "heyday" of moviemaking.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-08-2010, 09:16 PM
You know dude, everyone's entitled to an opinion or a certain viewpoint. But you dont have to come into this thread and try to insult people. If your here to troll or be a dick just take your garbage elsewhere. If you had a serious question as too why people like fantasy movies than fine, but dont come in and start insulting people. Nobody in this thread is saying they cant deal with "reality" or that its that bad. We are simply saying that we like to watch a movie where it doesnt have to deal with reality. Again, maybe its not your kind of movie fodder but there are many people who dig these kinds of movies just like there are those who only watch black and white movies because they consider that the "heyday" of moviemaking.

I have a serious question, because overwhelmingly the majority of americans love these movies, and i just can't see the appeal. The summer blockbusters seem like they're always superheroes and stuff, and I get invited to alot of movies and don't like to disappoint people by declining. I love tarantino movies, and alot of times they're not ultra realistic, but are rooted in reality and that's what I like. I'm wondering I guess, why the mass appeal leans toward fantasy and not reality, whereas in some other nations it's more about reality and drama over special effects and scale. That's all I'm trying to figure out here, is why they're liked so much. And it just seems to me that if people want an escape they may not be fulfilled with their reality, that's not meant to offend anybody at all, that's just an observation or guess as to what the appeal may be.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-08-2010, 09:18 PM
but there are many people who dig these kinds of movies just like there are those who only watch black and white movies because they consider that the "heyday" of moviemaking.

Funny you should mention it, as most of the movies I watch are in black and white, and I wasn't even alive when TV was black and white, but I just really like the way movies were made back then. Especially those with sidney portier.

Ravage!!!
05-08-2010, 09:22 PM
I guess all those writers that write fiction are not 'rooted into reality' ...either.

Imagine our movies if everything was rooted into reality? King Kong, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Alien, E.T., Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, Exorcist, Indiana Jones, Airplane!.... not to mention some of the great animated movies.... Fantasia, Bambi, Beauty and the Beast, The 7 Dwarfes,... Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elmstreet... Monty Python, Austin Powers....

Would all be considered for only those that are not "fulfilled."

Northman
05-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I guess all those writers that write fiction are not 'rooted into reality' ...either.

Imagine our movies if everything was rooted into reality? King Kong, Jaws, Jurassic Park, Alien, E.T., Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind, Exorcist, Indiana Jones, Airplane!.... not to mention some of the great animated movies.... Fantasia, Bambi, Beauty and the Beast, The 7 Dwarfes,... Halloween, Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elmstreet... Monty Python, Austin Powers....

I was going to point out a series like the "Jason Bourne" movies. I love those but they arent reality. Sure, i can enjoy stuff closely related and i do. But like Rav has listed here there is a wide range of stuff i enjoy and lot just happens to fall into the line of fantasy whether its "horror", "Sci-fi" or "Superheroes". I even enjoy the animations like "Nemo" and "Cars". But likewise i cant see the appeal for something say like "Casablanca" or "Citizen Kane" which i find totally boring. My wife loves the romantic comedies and dramas which i do watch with her on occasion but just arent my type of films. A movie like "Saving Private Ryan" is great but incredibly depressing and thats not what i want to be feeling when being entertained. To me there is no appeal to those kinds of movies and thus i can laugh at comedies, horrors, or fantasy movies to relax and unload.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-08-2010, 09:36 PM

I liked the exorcist, other than that I hated every one of those movies. Especially Austin Powers, that must be the worst character in the history of entertainment. but whatever, enjoy your movies and thread, I'll make my way back to broncos talk.

Different Strokes for different folks.

ewdVs3txt9M

Ravage!!!
05-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Every one of those movies??? Wow... :lol:

you really must be the life of the party :lol:

Northman
05-08-2010, 09:47 PM
I liked the exorcist, other than that I hated every one of those movies. Especially Austin Powers, that must be the worst character in the history of entertainment.

http://jsoetandi.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/darkknight.jpg

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-08-2010, 09:56 PM
http://jsoetandi.files.wordpress.com/2008/01/darkknight.jpg

I especially loathed that movie. Oh yeah I'm supposed to be in broncos talk. :lol:

dogfish
05-08-2010, 10:20 PM

a LOT of people out there think watching football is a colossal waste of time. . . i've heard people suggest that it's "weird" or even gay for grown men to watch other grown men in tight pants grapple and jump on each other. . .

do you care what they think? is it gonna stop you from watching the game on sunday, or make you feel ashamed that you're pursuing an activity which someone else considers childish, or a waste of time?

does watching football mean that you're a pathetic wannabe jock who's unfulfilled with his life because he couldn't make it in sports and now has to live vicariously through others?

can't the answer actually be something as simple as you just enjoy watching football? given that the outcome of the games has zero relevance in your life, how is taking time out to watch sports any different than watching whatever flick interests you, regardless of the subject matter?

do you watch television? is everything you watch educational, or do you have a few shows you like to veg out to? again, same thing. . .

girler
05-08-2010, 10:28 PM

My reality is that I have always had a thing for biting people. :evil: I learned at a young age that I couldn't really bite others because everyone is just a whiny bitch when you leave those really cool teeth marks on them. :tsk: But now that vampires are totally in style, IT IS AWESOME!!!

That's a movie based in reality for ME! :whip:

MasterShake
05-09-2010, 09:46 AM
Funny you should mention it, as most of the movies I watch are in black and white, and I wasn't even alive when TV was black and white, but I just really like the way movies were made back then. Especially those with sidney portier.

As much as I like modern filmmaking, that is only a facet of my overall interest in movies. Some of my favorite movies are from the 30's and 40's. When making this thread, I was just trying to point out a very small area of interest to me in what is the motion picture industry. It seems (and as you have pointed out) that these comic book movies are appealing to a broader and broader audience. If Marvel or DC puts out a movie, its almost guaranteed to make 100+ million. I just thought it was interesting and a good chance to look back over the last 20 -30 years and list what movies worked better than others in this genre.

I don't think it was your intention, but I think many people have the impression that comic book movie goers a parent basement dwellers who only leave their computer long enough to see a movie. When i stated in my initial post that we are in a Renaissance of comic based films I meant it in the sense that we can no longer view "fantasy" movies as a niche market for the pale and socially awkward among us.

When I saw Iron Man 2 the other day I had a family in front of me consisting of a grandma, a dad, and his two boys. They all seemed to enjoy the movie a lot. And when i saw it I went with my wife, my friend and his wife, and my other friend with his fiancee. Afterwards we didn't go back home and play Dungeons and Dragons, we went back to my house and got drunk then took the lighttrail downtown and got more drunk. I had a blast and seeing a fantasy movie was just part of my night, not my entire world.

There are lots of things everyone here like and does not like, and the only time we should question them is if that thing they like is the Raiders, Chiefs, or Chargers. After all, first and foremost this is a football board! I'd go to a movie site if I wanted to talk about men in tight pants and bright costumes fighting epic battles. When I want to talk about men in tight pants and bright costumes playing football I come here.:lol:

girler
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM
... ... ... When I want to talk about men in tight pants and bright costumes playing football I come here.:lol:

Ooooooh, I love talking about men in tight pants! I also love talking about men in tight (TIGHT!) tights. And men in leather diapers too. Oh, and men who wear their underwear on the outside of their tights... But I don't have a better list than what Shakey and Northy made. :noidea: