PDA

View Full Version : Elway Hoping to "Get More Connected"

milehigh
05-07-2010, 12:04 PM
John Elway has no immediate plans to get into coaching.

In fact, after competing in the Colorado Golf Association 4-Ball tournament in Westminster on Tuesday, he called it something he can “always fall back on.”

In the meantime, the Hall-of-Fame quarterback is hoping to be seen a little more often around Dove Valley, helping out the Broncos any way he can while “on the outside looking in.”

“I’m hoping to get to know Tim (Tebow), and if he’s got questions I’d love to be able to help him out, as well as Kyle (Orton) and Brady (Quinn),” Elway told a group of reporters in a sit-down interview. “That’s kind of what I’ve missed is that connection, so I’m hoping to get more connected.”

After speaking to parents and students in the “Teaming up to Take Charge of Asthma” event at Montbello High School on Wednesday, Head Coach Josh McDaniels couldn’t help but smile when he heard Elway’s plans to get more involved.

“John Elway is going to be a part of this organization forever,” McDaniels said. “Anytime he wants to come around, he knows that he can. I have a relationship with John and I will continue to have a relationship with John. Any resource like that, you have to try to reach out and use it if you can.”

“What he’s been able to accomplish in his career I think is a great influence for some of our younger players and even our veteran players that have been in the league for a long time,” he continued. “Any guidance that he can give any of us or any of our players is well-received.”

Elway said he has had a chance to grab lunch with the Broncos head coach several times and after getting to know him, he has concluded that the two have plenty in common.

Both have fathers who were coaches and both have been to the top of the NFL — McDaniels has three Super Bowl trophies as an assistant coach, and Elway, as every Broncos fan remembers, won back-to-back Super Bowls as a quarterback before retiring at the conclusion of the 1998 season.

“I think he’s a fantastic young coach with that energy, and he knows the game,” Elway said. “He’s learned in the right situation being in New England — he knows how to do it.

“I’m excited for the Broncos and think that they have a lot of good things ahead of them.”

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com

Link (http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/elway-hoping-to-get-more-connected/)

rcsodak
05-07-2010, 12:57 PM
John Elway has no immediate plans to get into coaching.

In fact, after competing in the Colorado Golf Association 4-Ball tournament in Westminster on Tuesday, he called it something he can “always fall back on.”

In the meantime, the Hall-of-Fame quarterback is hoping to be seen a little more often around Dove Valley, helping out the Broncos any way he can while “on the outside looking in.”

“I’m hoping to get to know Tim (Tebow), and if he’s got questions I’d love to be able to help him out, as well as Kyle (Orton) and Brady (Quinn),” Elway told a group of reporters in a sit-down interview. “That’s kind of what I’ve missed is that connection, so I’m hoping to get more connected.”

After speaking to parents and students in the “Teaming up to Take Charge of Asthma” event at Montbello High School on Wednesday, Head Coach Josh McDaniels couldn’t help but smile when he heard Elway’s plans to get more involved.

“John Elway is going to be a part of this organization forever,” McDaniels said. “Anytime he wants to come around, he knows that he can. I have a relationship with John and I will continue to have a relationship with John. Any resource like that, you have to try to reach out and use it if you can.”

“What he’s been able to accomplish in his career I think is a great influence for some of our younger players and even our veteran players that have been in the league for a long time,” he continued. “Any guidance that he can give any of us or any of our players is well-received.”

Elway said he has had a chance to grab lunch with the Broncos head coach several times and after getting to know him, he has concluded that the two have plenty in common.

Both have fathers who were coaches and both have been to the top of the NFL — McDaniels has three Super Bowl trophies as an assistant coach, and Elway, as every Broncos fan remembers, won back-to-back Super Bowls as a quarterback before retiring at the conclusion of the 1998 season.

“I think he’s a fantastic young coach with that energy, and he knows the game,” Elway said. “He’s learned in the right situation being in New England — he knows how to do it.

“I’m excited for the Broncos and think that they have a lot of good things ahead of them.”

-Gray Caldwell, DenverBroncos.com

Link (http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/elway-hoping-to-get-more-connected/)

Anybody else hear the "thud" of every McD-hater hitting their collective heads against a brick wall? :D

I think McD just got his contract extension penciled in. ;)

T.K.O.
05-07-2010, 01:02 PM
"i'd be happy to help tebow.....uhhh and those other guys":laugh:
j/k i think it's great that john wants to help and josh welcomes it !

shank
05-07-2010, 01:03 PM
i hope that someday john and rod are officially part of the organization again.

Softskull
05-07-2010, 01:06 PM
Anybody else hear the "thud" of every McD-hater hitting their collective heads against a brick wall? :D

I think McD just got his contract extension penciled in. ;)

Oh No, John likes the coach...and the new QB. This changes everything.

Ah, nevermind. It changes nothing. John like the last coach and QB.

I did think that McDaniels was diplomatic enough to not say, "hey John, I have this under control....Back Off! There's a reason we didnt hire you as the QB coach".

T.K.O.
05-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Oh No, John likes the coach...and the new QB. This changes everything.

Ah, nevermind. It changes nothing. John like the last coach and QB.

I did think that McDaniels was diplomatic enough to not say, "hey John, I have this under control....Back Off! There's a reason we didnt hire you as the QB coach".

O.R. errr i mean softskull,
i missed that qoute ,i think the article is about the fact that john is not interested in coaching at this point in his life,and that he may fall back on it someday.
i doubt even the biggest mcD hater would believe that if the broncos could sooth the fanbase by giving elway a spot on the staff,they would be dumb enough to pass it by

Softskull
05-07-2010, 01:21 PM
O.R. errr i mean softskull,
i missed that qoute ,i think the article is about the fact that john is not interested in coaching at this point in his life,and that he may fall back on it someday.
i doubt even the biggest mcD hater would believe that if the broncos could sooth the fanbase by giving elway a spot on the staff,they would be dumb enough to pass it by

No, I agree with you, John sells. But I think McDaniels is considered one of, if not the best QB coach in the business these days. I doubt John will be very helpful in fixing Tebow's mechanics. I think Big John would be a better office guy than a field Marshall.

milehigh
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
No, I agree with you, John sells. But I think McDaniels is considered one of, if not the best QB coach in the business these days. I doubt John will be very helpful in fixing Tebow's mechanics. I think Big John would be a better office guy than a field Marshall.

Where in the article did it say he was going to try and fix Tebow's mechanics?

BroncoWave
05-07-2010, 01:40 PM

Yeah all I read is that he wants to answer Tebow's questions and help him out. That could mean any number of things.

Softskull
05-07-2010, 01:43 PM

Yikes, it didn't say that in the article.
I was responding to TKO comment that we would be foolish to not use Big John on the staff. I was just making the leap that if John was on the staff, he'd be helping in the QB realm.

Now Coach McDaniels did say that any guidance would be well recieved from all of John's experience. Just dont do what Elway did for his first year or two would be a good start.

milehigh
05-07-2010, 01:54 PM
Yikes, it didn't say that in the article.
I was responding to TKO comment that we would be foolish to not use Big John on the staff. I was just making the leap that if John was on the staff, he'd be helping in the QB realm.

Now Coach McDaniels did say that any guidance would be well recieved from all of John's experience. Just dont do what Elway did for his first year or two would be a good start.

I see wasn't trying to single you out or anything just a question.

All the quotes I have read from John he just seems really impressed at how humble and hungry to get better Tebow really is. John seems like he just wants help Tebow get adjusted to the NFL.

"I think there's a connection already with Tim Tebow and the way he's acted, come in answered with the media, the type of person he is. He fits perfect into this community," Elway said. "I think that's why everyone is excited about him because they kind of feel like you know he's the next son of Denver. That's how I felt when I came in." "When he did come in town, he texted me. So I texted him back and said welcome to town and looking forward to meeting him."

"We've text back and forth, so he did text me when he came in town, which I thought was pretty neat, so I'm looking forward to meeting him and if I can help in any way, I'm more than glad to," Elway said.

T.K.O.
05-07-2010, 01:59 PM
if elway can show him how to buy an extra second and beat nfl's defenses with it.....i say HELL YEAH !
let the coaches show tebow how to throw and move his feet in the pocket....let the master show him how to use that heart and will to win to his advantage at the pro level !

MileHighCrew
05-07-2010, 02:02 PM
Anytime John wants to be involved with the Broncos, it is great news.

Softskull
05-07-2010, 02:03 PM
I see wasn't trying to single you out or anything just a question.

All the quotes I have read from John he just seems really impressed at how humble and hungry to get better Tebow really is. John seems like he just wants help Tebow get adjusted to the NFL.

I'm sure Elway is impressed with Tebow. I haven't read anyone who's met TT and hasn't come away impressed. I think even Claymore would like him given half a chance.

broncofaninfla
05-07-2010, 02:44 PM
John is and will always be Mr. Bronco. I hope he is right about Mcd and the direction Denver is headed.

dogfish
05-07-2010, 02:52 PM
come on down any time, john, we'll leave the light on for ya. . .

:welcome:

dogfish
05-07-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm sure Elway is impressed with Tebow. I haven't read anyone who's met TT and hasn't come away impressed. I think even Claymore would like him given half a chance.

i'm afraid clay might like him a little too much. . . :shocked:

Softskull
05-07-2010, 04:33 PM
i'm afraid clay might like him a little too much. . . :shocked:

Oh Timmy, you look so naughty with that scripture on your face....:eek:

Broncolingus
05-07-2010, 04:38 PM
All I hope that Elway teach's Tebow is how to win Super Bowls...

Denver Native (Carol)
05-07-2010, 04:44 PM
if elway can show him how to buy an extra second and beat nfl's defenses with it.....i say HELL YEAH !
let the coaches show tebow how to throw and move his feet in the pocket....let the master show him how to use that heart and will to win to his advantage at the pro level !

That's what #7 was best doing :salute:

Softskull
05-07-2010, 04:46 PM
All I hope that Elway teach's Tebow is how to win Super Bowls...

Hell, I can teach him that. Doing it just like Big John did, just get yourself a great offensive line, a great pass catching TE, two solid WRs, and the best running back in the NFL. Having an opportunist special teams and defense helps too. It's easy.

Broncolingus
05-07-2010, 04:59 PM
Hell, I can teach him that. Doing it just like Big John did, just get yourself a great offensive line, a great pass catching TE, two solid WRs, and the best running back in the NFL. Having an opportunist special teams and defense helps too. It's easy.

Yeah...

Like Phillip Rivers, huh?

Softskull
05-07-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah...

Like Phillip Rivers, huh?

Dont get me wrong, Elway had the heart of a lion and definately had the "it" that everyone is applying to Tebow, but I remember several Superbowls where Big John didnt have all those other pieces I've listed above. Just having "it" wont win the big game and I'm not really sure that it's something you can teach.

Broncolingus
05-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Dont get me wrong, Elway had the heart of a lion and definately had the "it" that everyone is applying to Tebow, but I remember several Superbowls where Big John didnt have all those other pieces I've listed above. Just having "it" wont win the big game and I'm not really sure that it's something you can teach.

I'm just giving you poop-ola brother...

I knew what you meant...:D

-peace-

Softskull
05-07-2010, 08:42 PM
I'm just giving you poop-ola brother...

I knew what you meant...:D

-peace-

Ah, the old poop-ola. I usually dont recognize it until I'm knee deep in it.

Cheers

Superchop 7
05-08-2010, 04:21 PM
Give him a headset and put him in the box on Sundays, he doesn't need to know the playbook, pretty sure he can provide a few tips to the offensive staff.

Especially if the game plan goes to hell.

rcsodak
05-09-2010, 04:00 PM

So true.

If I'm not mistaken, posters here have claimed this "it" factor as being the end-all-be-all.

How John had it...and won SB's.

How Plummer didn't, though he guided them to playoffs.

How Cutler had it......oops.

Having "it" is nice and all, but they better have more than that. I still say luck is an awful large piece to the puzzle.