PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Favorite Metal Bands

CoachChaz
05-12-2008, 09:33 AM
List your top 10 metal bands of all time.

MOtorboat
05-12-2008, 09:48 AM
1. Metallica
2. Soundgarden
3. Black Sabbath
4. Korn (forgot about them the other day)
5. Guns 'n' Roses
6. Ozzy Ozbourne
7. AC/DC
8. Judas Priest
9. Pantera (A few songs I like, like I said...I'm more of a rock guy than a hardcore metal fan)
10. Led Zeppelin

CoachChaz
05-12-2008, 09:50 AM
1. Pantera - the kings of American metal
2. Fear Factory - made techno metal sounds really good
3. Queensryche - Prog-metal, but VERY good at it.
4. Slayer - Best speed metal EVER
5. Iron Maiden - Classic
6. Black Sabbath - the fathers of it all
7. Anthrax - awesome thrash band
8. Death - did they ever release a bad album?
9. Motorhead - Godfathers of speed metal
10. Sepultura - Always evolvong and always kicking a$$

A few more...

11. Venom - without these guys, there would be no Anthrax/Slayer/Metallica
12. Morbid Angel - Heaviest Death Metal ever.
13. Overkill - most underrated metal band ever
14. Testament - A little off in the 90's, but anything prior was awesome
15. Judas Priest - no need to say more

BigDaddyBronco
05-12-2008, 09:53 AM

What if you don't have 10? Also are we talking about 80's and early 90's Metal or some of the new stuff as well?

If we are talking late 70's to early 90's and not including any crossover stuff like punk-metal or grunge-metal, here is my list.

1. Metallica
2. AC/DC
3. GNR
4. Anthrax
5. Slayer
6. Megadeath

Davii
05-12-2008, 09:56 AM
Metallica
Judas Priest
Iron Maiden
Cradle Of Filth
Acid Bath
Slayer
Megadeth
Slayer
Ozzy
Sepultura

CoachChaz
05-12-2008, 09:57 AM
What if you don't have 10? Also are we talking about 80's and early 90's Metal or some of the new stuff as well?

If we are talking late 70's to early 90's and not including any crossover stuff like punk-metal or grunge-metal, here is my list.

1. Metallica
2. AC/DC
3. GNR
4. Anthrax
5. Slayer
6. Megadeath

There are about a million variations of metal, but I figure metal is what the listener thinks it is. If one of your all time favorites is a new band...so be it. it's your list.

MOtorboat
05-12-2008, 09:58 AM
There are about a million variations of metal, but I figure metal is what the listener thinks it is. If one of your all time favorites is a new band...so be it. it's your list.

Actually, I will be making the decision on what is and what is not metal :coffee:

Davii
05-12-2008, 09:59 AM
Actually, I will be making the decision on what is and what is not metal :coffee:

We're screwed then. Might as well just go ahead and say the Jackson 5 is allowed on the list.

CoachChaz
05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Let's put it this way...whatever is on your list...it should give your mother a headache. If she wants to dance too it...you're in the wrong thread.

BigDaddyBronco
05-12-2008, 10:03 AM
Well I don't consider grunge to be metal, nor do I consider the crossover rap metal stuff like Limp Bisket, Korn, etc. to be metal and I like most of this stuff more than metal. My senior year of high school and first two years of college was the grunge/alternative period which killed metal (which at that time had turned into Glam-metal, shit like Nelson and Poison).

Also have any of you guys seen Ministy live? They were louder and crazier than any metal concert I ever went to.

CoachChaz
05-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Well I don't consider grunge to be metal, nor do I consider the crossover rap metal stuff like Limp Bisket, Korn, etc. to be metal and I like most of this stuff more than metal. My senior year of high school and first two years of college was the grunge/alternative period which killed metal (which at that time had turned into Glam-metal, shit like Nelson and Poison).

Also have any of you guys seen Ministy live? They were louder and crazier than any metal concert I ever went to.

I saw them a long time ago in California. The shit was crazy. They had a screen up in front of the stage and everything. I couldn't see them in Texas for the longest time because Al Jourgensen got busted for manufacturing heroin on his Texas ranch and wasn't allowed to perform in Texas for a long time. Only recently could they do it again and I saw them not too long ago and while it was good...it was much tamer.

BigDaddyBronco
05-12-2008, 10:14 AM
I saw them a long time ago in California. The shit was crazy. They had a screen up in front of the stage and everything. I couldn't see them in Texas for the longest time because Al Jourgensen got busted for manufacturing heroin on his Texas ranch and wasn't allowed to perform in Texas for a long time. Only recently could they do it again and I saw them not too long ago and while it was good...it was much tamer.
Yea, he's getting old. I saw them three times, the best was at Lolapalooza in 1992, I think. They had come out with the Psalms 69 CD (which was their most commercially popular album I think) and just blew the minds of the crowd that was there to see the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Pearl Jam. They got fined for playing too loud, my ears rung for two days.

The thing I remember the most was there was two mosh pits and one of them was in the field area behind the seats (outside ampetheater) around a bonfire. Freaking crazy.

dunk7
05-12-2008, 10:19 AM
Gonna Throw a bit of Prog Metal in my list:

1. DREAM THEATER
2. SYMPHONY X
3. IRON MAIDEN
4. FEAR FACTORY
5. TOOL
6. Metallica
7. Pantera
8. Motorhead

CoachChaz
05-12-2008, 10:22 AM
Yea, he's getting old. I saw them three times, the best was at Lolapalooza in 1992, I think. They had come out with the Psalms 69 CD (which was their most commercially popular album I think) and just blew the minds of the crowd that was there to see the Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Pearl Jam. They got fined for playing too loud, my ears rung for two days.

The thing I remember the most was there was two mosh pits and one of them was in the field area behind the seats (outside ampetheater) around a bonfire. Freaking crazy.

Alot of the big metal concerts in Dallas are at a place that has a huge lawn area. There are always a few fires lit with 6 or 7 different mosh pits out there. I took my wife once and she said it reminded her of the Armageddon. Fires and brutality...she might have been right.

BroncoFanatic
05-12-2008, 02:47 PM
In no particular order...

Savatage
Metallica
Queensryche
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Ted Nugent
Iron Maiden

Some not metal, but honorable mention:

Led Zeppelin
Rush

Thnikkaman
05-12-2008, 02:56 PM
As much as I like my colored music, these bands strike a chord in me:

AC DC
System of a Down
Faith No More

Um, that's about it. And I really need to be in the mood (unless its ACDC)

Northman
05-12-2008, 03:13 PM

Oh yea, sure. Make it easy why dont ya? :lol:

Northman
05-12-2008, 03:21 PM
No Particular Order here.

1. Devin Townsend
2. Strapping Young Lad
3. Fear Factory
4. Type O Negative
5. Prong
6. Judas Priest
7. Testament
8. W.a.s.p
9. Sepultura (Max era)
10. Death

CoachChaz
05-12-2008, 03:25 PM
No Particular Order here.

1. Devin Townsend
2. Strapping Young Lad
3. Fear Factory
4. Type O Negative
5. Prong
6. Judas Priest
7. Testament
8. W.a.s.p
9. Sepultura (Max era)
10. Death

Have you listened to the new Cavalera Conspiracy CD? Fuking BADASS!!!

Northman
05-12-2008, 03:26 PM
Have you listened to the new Cavalera Conspiracy CD? Fuking BADASS!!!

Yea, it was pretty good. Sort of wish they could of just ironed things out and got back in Sep but CC will do just as well. :D

CoachChaz
05-12-2008, 03:27 PM
Yea, it was pretty good. Sort of wish they could of just ironed things out and got back in Sep but CC will do just as well. :D

I haven't taken it out of the cd player in a week. Max's vocals are brutal on hat one.

EastCoastBronco
05-23-2008, 12:17 PM
Judas Priest
Metallica
Guns N Roses
Iron Maiden
Ozzy Osbourne
Ratt
Def Leppard (Up to Pyromania...Everything after sucks)
Nine Inch Nails
Queensryche
Monster Magnet

Broncospsycho77
05-23-2008, 02:31 PM
Not a huge metal fan (more traditional/garage rock guy), but here's a few in no particular order:

Metallica
Guns N Roses (borderline rock and metal)
Killswitch Engage
Ozzy Osbourne
Pantera

CrazyHorse
05-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Dokken
Scorpions
Dio
Megadeth
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Manowar
Helloween
Saxon
Diamond Head

Foochacho
11-22-2008, 10:13 PM
I see no one has put up children of bodom.

This is my favorite band they have been around for about ten years I've only known of them for about 3 and still cannot get enough of it. They are from finland.

Here are a few songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJBTFRZRJ04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzkIsR3Nv7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q96pdhy5bdg

My favorite album from them is hate crew deathroll but all of them are good.

Northman
11-22-2008, 10:21 PM
I see no one has put up children of bodom.

This is my favorite band they have been around for about ten years I've only known of them for about 3 and still cannot get enough of it. They are from finland.

Here are a few songs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJBTFRZRJ04

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzkIsR3Nv7c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q96pdhy5bdg

My favorite album from them is hate crew deathroll but all of them are good.

Decent band, Alexi is a great guitarist. If you like that style of metal be sure to check out the bands Skyfire, Mors Principium Est, Norther, and Chain Collector. :beer:

gnomeflinger
11-22-2008, 10:22 PM
What would qualify as metal? It's kinda grey when the alt/goth bands get in the mix. The bands I like best that I would think would qualify as metal would be:

Metallica
Ratt
Avenged Sevenfold
Nightwish
Evereve

I'll have to think of more later.

Foochacho
11-22-2008, 10:28 PM
There is way to many genres of metal and alot of people bitch about newer stuff and call it something else but if it is harder and has some nice guitar riffs it is all metal to me. It is just easier to call it all metal. Children of Bodom is called melodic death metal but metal is alot easier to say.

Skinny
11-22-2008, 10:30 PM
Tesla

Everbody is else interchangeable 2 through 10.

SR
11-22-2008, 10:33 PM
In no specific order

Parkway Drive
I Killed the Prom Queen
Darkest Hour
Bleeding Through
In This Moment
August Burns Red
All That Remains
Katatonia
October Tide