PDA

View Full Version : Demaryius Thomas: Time for work to begin with Broncos

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 07:45 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_15032624

Demaryius Thomas: Time for work to begin with Broncos
By The Denver Post
Posted: 05/07/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

You have a very unusual first name. Where did your mother get the name Demaryius from? Are you named for someone?
--Vikki, Albuquerque

Demarius Thomas: I really don't know where the name came from. My mom just told me I would be the only one with the name. So that's good, because so far that's been true. I've never heard anybody else with the name.

What can we expect from you as a Bronco on and off the field? Also, what is the purpose behind your number 88?
--Eric, Grand Rapids, Mich.

DT: On the field, I'm going to do my job. Whatever I am asked to do, I will do. I'm here to help make the team better. Off the field, I will stay out of trouble, I know that.

As for 88, I really don't have a connection with that number. But they told me the last time a wide receiver wore 88 was when the Broncos won a championship, so that's good.

(Editor's note: Though numerous tight ends have worn No. 88 in recent years, the last Broncos wide receiver to do so was Sir Mawn Wilson in 1997)

Who have you 'clicked' with the best since arriving in Denver?
--Jon, Pennsylvania

DT: I got to know Eddie Royal a little bit and he seems like a good guy. We texted a lot after I was drafted. We have the same agent (Todd France), so that's how we kind of got to know each other. Mostly by texting.

Three questions: 1. How did you overcome obstacles such as growing up with both your mother and grandmother in prison? 2. Do you have, or will you have, a great work ethic like Jerry Rice did? 3. What do you think of the high altitude in the Mile High city?
--Jerry, Tucson

DT: 1. Like I've said, at first it was real tough. Once they were gone, I tried to get around the right crowd and the right group of people. I told myself, "If you work hard, you can make it some day, you can be somebody." I had a lot of help from my coach at West Laurens (Ga.) High. His name was John Kenny.

2. Yes, I will. I am trying to work out hard. I just want to be the best at my position. I like working out because I know that will get me where I need to be.

3. It whooped me when I was (in Denver) for that first time. But I hadn't done a lot of working out because of my (foot) injury, so that was part of it. I'm going to be fine with the altitude.

Is there any difference in catching and turning to run with the football when the throw is from a left-handed vs. a right- handed QB?
--Ken Stacey, Surprise, Ariz.

DT: I didn't work out at the mini-camp, so I didn't catch passes from (left-hander) Tim Tebow. But I heard from people that it is a little different. So I will have to make some adjustments, I guess, but I don't think it will be a problem.

What is your favorite catch as a football player so far?
--Brad, Philadelphia

DT: I would have to say that I really don't have one single catch. But I did have a pretty good catch against Clemson back in 08. It was third-and-long and I ran a post-corner route. I broke it outside and the ball was like 2 yards out of bounds, but I caught it and got my foot down in bounds. So that was a pretty good catch.

I know you're busy, but do you have any plans to work with our youth? So many kids need direction now, so it would be good to use your status as a Bronco to help these kids have a better future. It appears you have overcome long odds to arrive at where you are at. Most people in your shoes would have taken a lesser path.
--Rick, Durango

DT: I do plan to work with kids. I like kids a lot. When I came back home, I spoke to the kids at my old elementary school. (Northwest Laurens Elementary). I liked that. So I think I will always want to work with kids.

Hey "Bay-Bay," congrats on being a first-round draft pick. My question is are you looking forward to going one-on-one with former Georgia Bulldog and sure fire Hall of Famer Champ Bailey in practice?
--Jon

DT: I'm looking forward to it, but I'm also kind of scared about it. It will be a big challenge. But the good thing is, I will learn a lot going against a guy like Champ.

You credit sports with saving you from a troubled path when you were younger. Do you think that has built a stronger love for the game in you, as opposed to most people who don't have that kind of adversity growing up?
--Guy, Tucson

DT: I feel like I would have done the same thing with sports no matter what my upbringing, only maybe in a little different way. But I always had going to the pros in my mind.

Besides "Bay-Bay," do you have any other nicknames? Can we all you 'Dee' instead of Demaryius?
--Robert, Kilmichael, Miss.

DT: You can call me whatever you want. I really don't have any other nicknames, but some people just started calling me DT when I got to the Broncos. Some of the other rookies called me that.

Are you aware that between you and Tebow, the Broncos' Southern fan base has expanded incredibly? Lots of my Tech friends and (Florida) Gator enemies are now following the Broncos from afar.
--Rock, Dallas, Georgia

DT: I'm aware of it because we have two guys from the South taken in the first round of the draft. So that's big. I met Tebow at the NFL combine. Everybody loves Tebow.

How many questions have you gotten about Tim Tebow since you arrived in Denver? I would guess around 50 million. Also, who were your favorite athletes in any sport growing up?
--Kevin, Fort Collins

DT: I haven't really gotten that many questions about Tebow. Just a couple, really.

My favorite athletes? I have loved Michael Jordan since I was a little kid. I like LeBron James a lot now. Basketball was always my first love. I like both of those guys because they are really good players who stayed out of trouble. They always played tough and they knew how to win.

It must be a tremendous change going from the limited passing option offense you ran in college to the demands of the NFL passing game. Have you found any of the read routes (especially the seam read) to be challenging or exciting?
--Ben, Glenwood Springs

DT: Basically, that's hard to answer because I didn't get to be on the field during minicamp. (Thomas sat out because of a foot injury). But it's going to be tough to learn it all. I have been looking at the playbook and it's a lot different than what I ran at Georgia Tech. I will just have to study it and learn it.

What are you looking forward to the most about being in Colorado now?
--Nicole, Colorado Springs

DT: I just want to get there and get along with my teammates and coaches, and work hard and stay out of trouble.

SOCALORADO.
05-07-2010, 07:56 AM
I smell trouble with this guy. He just seems to a very troublesome kid. If i was a bettin man, i would say he wont be staying outta trouble.
Trouble. yep, he's trouble.

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 08:04 AM
I smell trouble with this guy. He just seems to a very troublesome kid. If i was a bettin man, i would say he wont be staying outta trouble.

Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine. :lol:

claymore
05-07-2010, 08:10 AM
Im concerned that his first love was basketball. But Montana, GOnzalez, Gates etc... All liked basketball more than football and they are/were pretty good.

MileHighCrew
05-07-2010, 08:13 AM
I think he sounds very young and needs someone to mentor him. I like his focus and the fact that he seems dedicated to the Broncos.

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 08:18 AM
Im concerned that his first love was basketball. But Montana, GOnzalez, Gates etc... All liked basketball more than football and they are/were pretty good.

I really didn't think anything of it because there are a lot players that come into the League with a love for another sport besides football. Look Elway and Marino both of them loved baseball as well.

SOCALORADO.
05-07-2010, 08:29 AM
Well aren't you just a ray of sunshine. :lol:

Trouble with a capital "T"!

j/K!!:lol:

LTC Pain
05-07-2010, 08:33 AM

Interesting perspective. In all the stuff I've read about Bay Bay I haven't gotten any perception of "troublesome" asscoiated with him? In fact just the opposite, many positives.

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 08:34 AM
Trouble with a capital "T"!

j/K!!:lol:

I wont mind if he causes trouble for defensive backs. In fact I hope he terrorizes them for the next 10 to 15 years. :beer:

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 08:35 AM
Interesting perspective. In all the stuff I've read about Bay Bay I haven't gotten any perception of "troublesome" asscoiated with him? In fact just the opposite, many positives.

Ah don't mind Socal he's just being a turd. :D

SOCALORADO.
05-07-2010, 08:38 AM

Sarcasm ON! :D

LTC Pain
05-07-2010, 09:12 AM
Sarcasm ON! :D

Okay, turdmeter is back in the black ;)

Dirk
05-07-2010, 09:41 AM
(Editor's note: Though numerous tight ends have worn No. 88 in recent years, the last Broncos wide receiver to do so was Sir Mawn Wilson in 1997)

:confused: Who?

CoachChaz
05-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Im betting Thomas ends us as a bust. Seriously. I just see him as a 50 reception guy at best
Mobile Post via Mobile.BroncosForums.com/forums

broncobryce
05-07-2010, 09:45 AM
This guy might be TOO honest. He seems to be obsessed with staying out of trouble, lol. Which is good, just funny to hear someone say it over and over. I think he will be a star.

broncobryce
05-07-2010, 09:50 AM
Im betting Thomas ends us as a bust. Seriously. I just see him as a 50 reception guy at best

I hope and think you are wrong. I don't think he will match Marshall's reception total, but I think he will be more of a deep threat. While Marshall could go deep, he was generally a possession receiver. If he got deep it was usually either blown coverage or the QB let him go up and get the ball. This guy has better speed.
Coach you aren't a believer in Decker either right? So we wasted both picks in your opinion?:shocked:

SOCALORADO.
05-07-2010, 10:40 AM

Well, to make up for this drop in receptions, your favorite coach made sure to draft Decker to make up for it just for you! :D

T.K.O.
05-07-2010, 10:56 AM
i'll take 2 50 catch wr's who want to be here over 1 100 catch wr who does not.....anyday.;)

CoachChaz
05-07-2010, 11:50 AM
If Thomas and Decker can combine for 50 receptions with good contributions from Royal and Gaffney, I'll be happy. From watching film and listening to interviews...I just dont get a good vibe from DT as a guy that has the "hunger" to excel.

Decker...well, if he can go a full season without injury...that alone will impress me.

When Taylor Price and Golden Tate are lighting it up and our guys are mediocre, the proof will be there.

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-07-2010, 12:45 PM

:touchdown:

rcsodak
05-07-2010, 01:11 PM

At 25ypc, that's 1250yds.

I'll take that.

Softskull
05-07-2010, 01:15 PM
If Thomas and Decker can combine for 50 receptions with good contributions from Royal and Gaffney, I'll be happy. From watching film and listening to interviews...I just dont get a good vibe from DT as a guy that has the "hunger" to excel.

Decker...well, if he can go a full season without injury...that alone will impress me.

When Taylor Price and Golden Tate are lighting it up and our guys are mediocre, the proof will be there.

It's hard to tell what we'll get at this point. I just want them both healthy. We can analyze them after they've made one NFL reception.