PDA

View Full Version : Paige: McD says Tebow has the "It" factor

Mr D
05-07-2010, 06:55 AM
Tim Tebow has IT.

Not if.

And he gets it.

So says Josh McDaniels.

"I think the thing about Tim is what everybody calls the 'It'. There are those kind of people that have that 'It,' " the coach said emphatically this week in his office at Dove Valley. On the wall beside McDaniels' desk is a large TV, and frozen on the flat screen was Tim Tebow, in his orange Broncos practice jersey with a football by his left ear — a start button for throwing a pass.

McDaniels looks at the image of the Broncos' rookie quarterback and compares Tebow's "It" factor to another quarterback he directly coached for five seasons in New England.

"When Tom (Brady) came to us in 2001, I wasn't on the offensive side of the ball, but I can remember the feeling in the building was that he had something that nobody else had . . . and how strongly he felt that ultimately he would be a great player. It was obviously apparent in subsequent seasons.

"I think when you get a guy, and he's waiting for me to tell him he's going to be a great player, we might be waiting a long time," he said.

McDaniels respected the confidence Brady showed then and admires the confidence Tebow shows now.

"That confidence affects everybody," he said. "We could see it last week at rookie camp. There were a bunch of rookies out there with no confidence, except him. He's got such confidence that he will just not let himself fail.

"And that quality sometimes is very underrated. There are people with a great deal of God-given ability who are fun to watch, and it's really interesting to see what kind of seasons they'll put together. Then there are guys who will say they won't fail, our team's not going to fail, and they have a 'I'm not going to let you down' attitude. And that's what you notice with Tim."

NFL scouts, coaches and analysts offered two alarming criticisms about Tebow the quarterback: his long, looping delivery and his lack of arm strength.

McDaniels has no concern about either. The Monday before the draft, McDaniels and other members of the organization flew to Florida to decide if Tebow would be their man.

"We spent seven hours with him, and I came away thinking that everybody keeps talking about the thing I think we can fix — that's my job as a coach — and nobody's talking about the things we don't have to teach him because he already has all that.

"I was struck by his intelligence, the way he understands the game, how I can have a great football conversation with him. I didn't have to sit there and draw it up. I would say, 'If they do this, here's what I want you to do,' and he says, 'I got it, Coach.' "

McDaniels implies that Tebow could play quarterback for the Broncos sooner rather than later.

"To me, (Tebow's acumen) gives him an advantage, an opportunity to play earlier than other people have played. Everybody keeps talking about it will be two, three years before he can play, and I think they don't know this guy. His mental capacity, and the way that he works, and the fact that he's on such a fast pace, will give him the chance to compete apples-to-apples.

"It's all going to be about his production and performance. There are a lot of rookies who can't run plays because they can't figure it out yet. That's not going to be the case with Tim. He'll be able to do the things (veterans) do."

During that final visit with Tebow, the coach began to explain the Broncos' offensive terminology, and the quarterback picked it up immediately. When McDaniels quizzed the QB about defensive fronts, Tebow proved he could recognize every variation and how to respond.

"You know what Tim doesn't know about our playbook?" McDaniels asked, then answered. "Only what we haven't told him yet."

And when Tebow threw at his private workout, McDaniels knew he wanted to figure out a way to wheel and deal in the first round to get him.

In Florida and at rookie camp, Tebow "threw into the wind, with it, across it, and there were no issues," McDaniels said. When Tebow threw long, "he would be looking, looking, then stand up, without winding up and all that stuff, throw 60 yards, just like that. He's got a really strong arm."

McDaniels points his remote control at the television, and Tebow is brought to life. Back and forth, fast forward, rewind, the coach reveals the rookie's throwing motion.

The problem with his delivery, McDaniels said, was not as much the left arm action as the right side body reaction. Tebow's nonthrowing arm was flailing, and his right side was bailing out. He's corrected the throwing motion and cocked position, is releasing the ball quicker, and has eliminated the inaccurate sidearm passes. McDaniels had Tebow tuck his right elbow, straighten his shoulders and concentrate on forcing the "15" (on his jersey front) to fall off (figuratively) when he throws.

"See, he's doing it, after just a couple of days," McDaniels said, looking at the screen. "What's it going to be like after 65 practices? He gets it."

IT is happening with Tim Tebow.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncosheadlines/ci_15035778?source=rss&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=twitter

Dirk
05-07-2010, 07:01 AM
"And that quality sometimes is very underrated. There are people with a great deal of God-given ability who are fun to watch, and it's really interesting to see what kind of seasons they'll put together. Then there are guys who will say they won't fail, our team's not going to fail, and they have a 'I'm not going to let you down' attitude. And that's what you notice with Tim."

Elway had that kind of attitude also. He knew he could win, he didn't want to lose, and he gave everything, every game. That kind of attitude brings everyone on the team up a notch, or more.

claymore
05-07-2010, 07:03 AM
Great article.

From the Broncos mouth.... My favorite part. "To me, (Tebow's acumen) gives him an advantage, an opportunity to play earlier than other people have played. Everybody keeps talking about it will be two, three years before he can play, and I think they don't know this guy. His mental capacity, and the way that he works, and the fact that he's on such a fast pace, will give him the chance to compete apples-to-apples.

SOCALORADO.
05-07-2010, 07:40 AM
Great article.

From the Broncos mouth.... My favorite part. "To me, (Tebow's acumen) gives him an advantage, an opportunity to play earlier than other people have played. Everybody keeps talking about it will be two, three years before he can play, and I think they don't know this guy. His mental capacity, and the way that he works, and the fact that he's on such a fast pace, will give him the chance to compete apples-to-apples.

Well, he's already on Joshs screensaver, and as everyone knows, thats the green light for starting this year.
So get ready! ;)

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 08:02 AM
Great article.

The way this sounds Orton may not be the starter by the time season ends. For that matter he may not be the starter before the season even begins.

EastCoastBronco
05-07-2010, 08:03 AM
I bet he's starting by week 4...;-)
Let me rephrase that.
I hope he's starting by week four.

I'm anxious to see what this kid can do.

claymore
05-07-2010, 08:06 AM
The way this sounds Orton may not be the starter by the time season ends. For that matter he may not be the starter before the season even begins.

That coupled with this... "You know what Tim doesn't know about our playbook?" McDaniels asked, then answered. "Only what we haven't told him yet."

I agree. I think Tebow would have to have a lights out camp though.

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 08:10 AM
That coupled with this... "You know what Tim doesn't know about our playbook?" McDaniels asked, then answered. "Only what we haven't told him yet."

Agreed. Knowing the playbook is half the battle but doing it at game speed is another matter altogether.

SOCALORADO.
05-07-2010, 08:14 AM

Its Tim freakin Tebow! Of course he is going to have a lights out camp. Cmon!

Paige should have asked him what Orton doesnt know about the playbook yet?
"Theres alot we havent told Kyle yet.....(glances over to sreensaver of Tim) and more than likely we will never tell him......"

claymore
05-07-2010, 08:25 AM

"Theres alot we havent told Kyle yet.....(glances over to sreensaver of Tim) and more than likely we will never tell him......"

I think Orton runs three plays. All involve passes to Marshall which is no longer here. :laugh:

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 08:30 AM

I do hope TFT has great camp but still one thing to grasp the terminology and another to execute it at game speed.

SOCALORADO.
05-07-2010, 08:36 AM
I do hope TFT has great camp but still one thing to grasp the terminology and another to execute it at game speed.

He'll be fine. Its the other factors TFT has that Orton doesnt, that MCD has a mind to utilize. TFT will get the terminology, but having a guy that can take off at any momonet, or on plays specifically designed for him to run, allows MCD to do so much more with TFT than with orton.
TFT just needs to get the playbook and scheme under his belt , and the confidence to run the system is already there.

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 08:54 AM
He'll be fine. Its the other factors TFT has that Orton doesnt, that MCD has a mind to utilize. TFT will get the terminology, but having a guy that can take off at any momonet, or on plays specifically designed for him to run, allows MCD to do so much more with TFT than with orton.
TFT just needs to get the playbook and scheme under his belt , and the confidence to run the system is already there.

It sounds like TFT knows the playbook (as far as it has been given to him), understanding the scheme, and having confidence is have the battle. The speed of game to me is a different matter. I don't think that can fully be simulated in camp and preseason games. It something that has to be experienced when the games actually count.

SOCALORADO.
05-07-2010, 09:17 AM
It sounds like TFT knows the playbook (as far as it has been given to him), understanding the scheme, and having confidence is have the battle. The speed of game to me is a different matter. I don't think that can fully be simulated in camp and preseason games. It something that has to be experienced when the games actually count.

Good thing hes Tebow! ;)

T.K.O.
05-07-2010, 09:47 AM
the big question here is do you .....
a) keep orton at starter knowing he will be efficient and give you a chance to compete and possibly make the playoffs if the other offseason moves have been enough to get the team "over the hump"?

b)knowing orton will be gone after this year (not gonna pay franchise money for a guy you don't believe is a future star)get tebow as much experience as you can while still riding the "he's a rookie" card in a "win now or else league"?

c) use orton while you have him and give tebow a fair shot at having the system down and his mechanics up to par with the pro level,using tebow as a situational qb and getting reps as the #2 ?

d)honestly let the best guy have the position (orton,quinn or tebow....even brandy) regardless of public perception?

Ravage!!!
05-07-2010, 10:13 AM

I honestly think that Tebow is the starter before mid season. I just don't think (as a coach) you take the chance on this draft choice and sit him. I think he wants him on the field... and.... we all know the best place to learn is in the games and not sitting on the sidelines.

So I think Tebow will be the starter sooner rather than later.

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 10:42 AM
I honestly think that Tebow is the starter before mid season. I just don't think (as a coach) you take the chance on this draft choice and sit him. I think he wants him on the field... and.... we all know the best place to learn is in the games and not sitting on the sidelines.

So I think Tebow will be the starter sooner rather than later.

I agree but I don't think you want start him before he ready. That's not to say even if the coach thinks he's ready that the player wont take some lumps along the way.

Northman
05-07-2010, 10:49 AM
The best thing Denver can do is let the kid sit.

T.K.O.
05-07-2010, 11:00 AM
The best thing Denver can do is let the kid sit.

i think you're right for 2 big reasons
he needs time to work on his mechanics and playbook etc...
AND the expectations on him are so high and will be scrutenized like never before....if he has the usual rookie issues,people will label him an "insta-bust"
i would hate to see his confidence shattered because people are unrealistic.
that being said he is an odds beater so who knows:confused:

BroncoWave
05-07-2010, 11:12 AM
AND the expectations on him are so high and will be scrutenized like never before....if he has the usual rookie issues,people will label him an "insta-bust"

Do you really think Tebow will let what the fans/media say affect his confidence? All he lets that do is motivate him to work even harder. I hope the media labels him a bust if he does struggle early. It will make him want to improve that much more.

underrated29
05-07-2010, 11:24 AM
the big question here is do you .....
a) keep orton at starter knowing he will be efficient and give you a chance to compete and possibly make the playoffs if the other offseason moves have been enough to get the team "over the hump"?

b)knowing orton will be gone after this year (not gonna pay franchise money for a guy you don't believe is a future star)get tebow as much experience as you can while still riding the "he's a rookie" card in a "win now or else league"?

c) use orton while you have him and give tebow a fair shot at having the system down and his mechanics up to par with the pro level,using tebow as a situational qb and getting reps as the #2 ?

d)honestly let the best guy have the position (orton,quinn or tebow....even brandy) regardless of public perception?

D and C monty.

D- whoever wins the job wins the job. But C- because we know Tebow will see playing time this year. Just like the eagles did with mcnabb and vick. Give TMFT some reps in games this year, gain exp. etc. Then next year its all out between him and quinn.

dogfish
05-07-2010, 11:36 AM
philip rivers just peed down her leg a little bit. . .

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 11:38 AM

I agree with you as much as I agree with Ravage. That's why I say I don't think McDaniels will start Tebow until he's ready. You mentioned that TFT needs time to work on the his mechanics and the playbook which is true. McDaniels spoke about both of those things specifically and there is no problem with either those.

"You know what Tim doesn't know about our playbook?" McDaniels asked, then answered. "Only what we haven't told him yet."

He's corrected the throwing motion and cocked position, is releasing the ball quicker, and has eliminated the inaccurate sidearm passes.

As far as worrying about TFT's confidence being scattered if he struggles well he's made of mettle that we hear that is that shouldn't be an issue either. Elway said he was glad to get start when he was rookie even though he took some lumps along the way.

T.K.O.
05-07-2010, 11:44 AM
Do you really think Tebow will let what the fans/media say affect his confidence? All he lets that do is motivate him to work even harder. I hope the media labels him a bust if he does struggle early. It will make him want to improve that much more.

no not at all.
i dont think the media will have any impact,but i do think hearing the boo's rain down at invesco will bother him.
the biggest thing is if he is thrown to the wolves too quickly he has alot better chance of screwing up.and that more than anything will hurt his confidence.
again like i said he has beat the odds before and i agree he will work his butt off to do it again.but being smart and patient with a guy like him may be the best for all,even when the fans and league want it all and want it NOW !

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 11:51 AM
philip rivers just peed down her leg a little bit. . .

A little bit? I was just watching the news and they said San Diego is under a flash flood watch. :laugh:

BroncoWave
05-07-2010, 11:53 AM
The days of sitting rookie QB's for a whole year are basically over IMO. Think of all the recent rookies, all of whom got starts as a rookie: Cutler, Young, Leinart, Russell, Roethlisberger, E. Manning, Ryan, Sanchez, Flacco, Freeman... The list goes on an on. Other than Palmer and Rivers, I can't think of any first round QB's in recent memory who sat for an entire season.

Northman
05-07-2010, 11:58 AM
The days of sitting rookie QB's for a whole year are basically over IMO. Think of all the recent rookies, all of whom got starts as a rookie: Cutler, Young, Leinart, Russell, Roethlisberger, E. Manning, Ryan, Sanchez, Flacco, Freeman... The list goes on an on. Other than Palmer and Rivers, I can't think of any first round QB's in recent memory who sat for an entire season.

Especially for first rounders which goes back to my point about 1st round draft choices needing to be THE guy. However, Denver is rebuilding for the future so they have a luxury right now to just let the kid sit and learn which can only benefit him even more.

T.K.O.
05-07-2010, 12:16 PM

was rodgers a 1st rounder? i dont know if their draft position has as much to do with it as their "readiness"
draft position is something fans worry about...good coaches know when the time is right.
cutler was tossed in early (though he did sit for 11 games) and has yet to pass the .500 mark for a season.
rodgers sat behind favre for what 4 years?(that's too long and was favre's fault)but came in ready to be a top qb.
so like with any player drafted in any round,you dont know what you got til' gameday.i just hope mcD makes the decision based on "player readiness" not "public pressure"

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 12:19 PM

It's never has been absolute that rookie quarterback will sit his entire first season.

BroncoWave
05-07-2010, 12:30 PM
It's never has been absolute that rookie quarterback will sit his entire first season.

No, but the trend is definitely shifting toward getting them in as early as possible.

BroncoWave
05-07-2010, 12:32 PM
was rodgers a 1st rounder? i dont know if their draft position has as much to do with it as their "readiness"
draft position is something fans worry about...good coaches know when the time is right.
cutler was tossed in early (though he did sit for 11 games) and has yet to pass the .500 mark for a season.
rodgers sat behind favre for what 4 years?(that's too long and was favre's fault)but came in ready to be a top qb.
so like with any player drafted in any round,you dont know what you got til' gameday.i just hope mcD makes the decision based on "player readiness" not "public pressure"

Forgot about Rodgers. But yeah, when you do have an established QB like Favre or like Brees when Rivers was picked, that is when you tend to see a rookie sit for his first year. And while Orton is decent, I will be surprised if Tebow doesn't supplant him for the starting spot by the end of the year.

T.K.O.
05-07-2010, 12:41 PM
Forgot about Rodgers. But yeah, when you do have an established QB like Favre or like Brees when Rivers was picked, that is when you tend to see a rookie sit for his first year. And while Orton is decent, I will be surprised if Tebow doesn't supplant him for the starting spot by the end of the year.

i am one of those "RARE" fans who does'nt care as long as the broncos WIN !:laugh:
i hope you are wrong because if tebow does'nt start ....that means we are winning!and tebow gets his time to prepare for next year (when i believe he will definately be the broncos starter week 1)
on the other hand if there are any signs that we are headed for another 8-8 season ....i'm all for putting him in !:salute:

SOCALORADO.
05-07-2010, 12:43 PM

End of the year?!?!?
End of last week!
Tebows on Josh's screensaver, em kay?
Do i have to do the math here?
Tebow will start week 1 of 2010.
Write that down.

underrated29
05-07-2010, 12:48 PM
End of the year?!?!?
End of last week!
Tebows on Josh's screensaver, em kay?
Do i have to do the math here?
Tebow will start week 1 of 2010.
Write that down.

what happened to QWINN?

SOCALORADO.
05-07-2010, 12:49 PM
what happened to QWINN?

Qwinn will start too!
At towel/gatorade boy.
He's very fast...and nimble.

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 01:15 PM
No, but the trend is definitely shifting toward getting them in as early as possible.

That's always been the case BTB.

BroncoWave
05-07-2010, 01:28 PM
That's always been the case BTB.

I disagree. Before rookies got absolutely massive contracts in the first round, I think teams were more willing to sit them for a year or two. Now top QB picks make so much money teams don't want to have that money spent on someone sitting on the bench.

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 01:36 PM
I disagree. Before rookies got absolutely massive contracts in the first round, I think teams were more willing to sit them for a year or two. Now top QB picks make so much money teams don't want to have that money spent on someone sitting on the bench.

You can disagree but you're still mistaken. Many times throughout history of League teams have started rookie quarterbacks.

BroncoWave
05-07-2010, 01:38 PM
You can disagree but you're still mistaken. Many times throughout history of League teams have started rookie quarterbacks.

I never said that teams DIDN'T start rookie QB's. Obviously they did. I am saying that it wasn't AS common in the past as it is now. There wasn't the financial motivation to get them in ASAP as there is now.

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 01:41 PM
I never said that teams DIDN'T start rookie QB's. Obviously they did. I am saying that it wasn't AS common in the past as it is now. There wasn't the financial motivation to get them in ASAP as there is now.

And you would still be mistaken, it was as common early the League's history as it is even now.

BroncoWave
05-07-2010, 01:58 PM
And you would still be mistaken, it was as common early the League's history as it is even now.

Whatever you say bro...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=4482913

In NFL drafts from 2000 through 2009, 131 quarterbacks were selected, including 26 in the first round. Yet those 10 lotteries produced only eight QBs who started the opening game of their careers.
And four of those starters, two each in 2008 and 2009, came from the past two drafts.

That represents a dramatic sea change of sorts in the league's long-held philosophy about starting rookie quarterbacks.

"I don't know if it's a big change or not, because I really don't think about those kinds of things, to tell the truth," said Atlanta QB Matt Ryan, the 2008 NFL Rookie of the Year. "I know it's hard to play quarterback in this league if you're in your first year or in your 10th year ... and it's even harder to play well."

But judging from the events of the most recent two seasons, it's apparently not quite as unthinkable as it used to be. Ryan and Baltimore's Joe Flacco started their teams' opening games as rookies last season and led their franchises into the postseason, and Detroit's Matthew Stafford and Mark Sanchez of the New York Jets started in Week 1 of 2009.

Conventional wisdom is that the immediate success of Ryan and Flacco last season, with the two youngsters winning 11 games apiece and the latter taking the Ravens to the conference championship game, prompted the radical change in thinking around the league. That's probably true in part. It's not coincidence, after all, that Jets rookie coach Rex Ryan had a front-row seat last year as the Baltimore defensive coordinator, when Flacco was so impressive.

First-year starters
The Lions' Matthew Stafford and the Jets' Mark Sanchez became only the seventh and eighth quarterbacks drafted since 2000 to start the opening game of their rookie season. The quarterbacks' records as rookies:

QB, team Year Record
Joe Flacco, Bal. 2008 11-5
Matt Ryan, Atl. 2008 11-5
Kyle Boller, Bal. 2003 5-4
David Carr, Hou. 2002 4-12
Quincy Carter, Dal. 2001 3-5
Chris Weinke, Car. 2001 1-14
But there are other factors as well , like the maturity level of quarterbacks coming into the league and the fact that sophisticated college passing games have created players who are ready to start early in their careers.

Economics also are an element in the equation, with owners eager to reap maximum benefits from eight-figure investments. And some head coaches, with more pressure to succeed quickly because of the short shelf life in their profession recently, are more apt to start the player who provides them the best chance to win, no matter the quarterback's tenure in the league.

"There is no doubt the [learning curve] has been accelerated some," said Miami's Chad Pennington, who in his first two NFL seasons appeared in only three games, started none, and attempted just 25 passes despite being a first-round pick of the Jets in 2000. "It's a difficult position in a difficult game, but because a lot of colleges are throwing the ball more now, guys are probably more ready to play [quickly]."

Of the 21 first-round quarterbacks selected from 2000-07, only David Carr (Houston) and Kyle Boller (Baltimore) started opening games as rookies. Yet four of the past five first-round quarterbacks were immediate starters, and from that group only Stafford lost his first game. Of the five quarterbacks chosen in the first round in 2008-09, only Josh Freeman of Tampa Bay was not an opening-day starter. The two opening-game starters since 2000 who weren't first-round picks were Quincy Carter of Dallas (second round, 2001) and Chris Weinke of Carolina (fourth round, 2001).

"When you're looking at [quarterback] prospects, you aren't necessarily thinking of the guy as an immediate starter for you," Baltimore general manager Ozzie Newsome said. "But anymore you're not thinking that he can't be your starter. Those kinds of guys are definitely unusual, but obviously they do exist."

Although their NFL debuts were nearly a decade apart, perhaps the cases of Pennington and Sanchez illustrate the change in attitude toward rookie quarterbacks. Pennington and Aaron Rodgers are the lone first-round quarterbacks in modern NFL history to not start a game in their first two seasons. Sanchez, on the other hand, was the Jets' starter last Sunday in their opening-day victory in Houston.

There was none of the three-year apprenticeship scouts historically talked about for quarterback prospects. In a 24-7 victory, Sanchez was calm and poised and apparently good enough to impress at least one former New York quarterback.

"What I saw," said Hall of Fame quarterback Joe Namath, "was a kid who was ready."

And given the way things are going lately, Sanchez probably won't be the last one.

OrangeHoof
05-07-2010, 02:55 PM
http://www.gildasattic.com/image28.gif

Tim Tebow, meet Clara Bow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clara_Bow). At one time, she had "it".

TXBRONC
05-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Whatever you say bro...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=4482913

It says a change in philosophy of sorts bro.

GGMoogly
05-07-2010, 05:14 PM
Not only does Tebow have IT, he has THIS, THAT, and the OTHER! TFT is not a fragile flower. This is not Joey Harrington or Rick Mirrer or any of the other mentally SOFT busts from the last couple of decades that have been bereft of intestinal fortitude . He's been the biggest pony in the center ring in HS and throughout his collegiate career. Maybe he'll make a mistake or two, but he's not the type to sit in a corner and wallow in self pity and doubt. Not going to happen! I have NO doubt this kid is gonna be a STAR!!!

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-07-2010, 05:28 PM
I don't care if Kim Jong il is the starter as long as we WIN.

WINWINWINWINWINWINWIWNIWNWINWIWNWINWIN.

Put Colorado back on the map, it's been long enough.

WIN.

Mr D
05-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Those making recommendations for Tim Tebow...

Have you spent any time with him? Just wondering.

Northman
05-07-2010, 06:01 PM

Everyday.

Broncolingus
05-07-2010, 06:21 PM
Paige: McD says Tebow has the "It" factor

I sure hope so...

GEM
05-07-2010, 11:37 PM

And to those who call him a bust and such....

Tempus Fugit
05-08-2010, 12:01 AM
I think that McDaniels has done a solid job, particularly given the hand he was dealt with Cutler and Marshall. Having said that...

He needs to shut up about Tebow. He's not doing the kid, the team, or himself any favors by giving out butterfly kisses in the media.

Mr D
05-08-2010, 04:00 AM
And to those who call him a bust and such....

This makes me wonder - of all the people who have actually met the guy and spent time with him, coaching him, whatever - have any of those guys said he WON'T be great?

Just wondering.

Mr D
05-08-2010, 04:01 AM
I think that McDaniels has done a solid job, particularly given the hand he was dealt with Cutler and Marshall. Having said that...

He needs to shut up about Tebow. He's not doing the kid, the team, or himself any favors by giving out butterfly kisses in the media.

lol McDaniels didn't come to Woody and decide to talk to Tebow - obviously Woody went to Josh and asked him. If you haven't noticed - Woody's been on Tebow's jock lately too.

Again - McDaniels getting blamed for shit he isn't exactly responsible for.

GEM
05-08-2010, 08:44 AM
This makes me wonder - of all the people who have actually met the guy and spent time with him, coaching him, whatever - have any of those guys said he WON'T be great?

Just wondering.

No, it's usually the sports jocks who have just seen tape. :lol:

BroncoJoe
05-08-2010, 09:29 AM
whatever you say bro...

bam!

gobroncsnv
05-08-2010, 09:49 AM
Well, this is darned interestingl... we'll see what Mr Orton is made of. He knows he's not going to get the longterm contract with us, as some mention, but he knows he's going to have to play his butt off to get any kind of FA interest next year. The same could be said of Quinn, at least for whatever year his rookie contract expires (did we sign him to an extended contract, or just trade for his existing one?) IF Tim Terrific turns out to be all that.
Cutler's psyche was fairly easily damaged when the Broncos "entertained" offers of a trade... Jake saw Cutler's rise, and did as much as he could to help the kid along, but Jake's response was to retire for good... Now we'll see what Kyle and Brady are made of. They are already competing from a deficit position, if nothing else, with the media circus that's happening. And doesn't appear that McD is doing much to play it down.
REALLY gonna be an interesting camping season at Dove Valley. But when all's said and done, I just want the best guy back there, WHOEVER it turns out to be.

gator_fan
05-08-2010, 10:43 AM

You've described Tim Tebow very well. He is exactly like that.

As for Tebow getting to starter, I was wondering if there was any chance they will play him like Florida did his first year. They stayed with the returning QB, and Tebow was brought in regularly for situations that were perfect for his abilities as an athlete. When and if he gets to start might then be determined by his performance in those situations. So, does anyone think there's a chance he might be used this way? Or, will it be one or the other as the dedicated QB?

Oh, and I'm very happy he went to Denver.

First post from an instant Broncos fan, and a resurrected NFL fan.

Tempus Fugit
05-08-2010, 11:46 AM
lol McDaniels didn't come to Woody and decide to talk to Tebow - obviously Woody went to Josh and asked him. If you haven't noticed - Woody's been on Tebow's jock lately too.

Again - McDaniels getting blamed for shit he isn't exactly responsible for.

I'm not blaming McDaniels for anything. There's nothing blameworthy involved. I'm simply saying that he needs to shut up about Tebow.

Tned
05-08-2010, 11:52 AM

As for Tebow getting to starter, I was wondering if there was any chance they will play him like Florida did his first year. They stayed with the returning QB, and Tebow was brought in regularly for situations that were perfect for his abilities as an athlete. When and if he gets to start might then be determined by his performance in those situations. So, does anyone think there's a chance he might be used this way? Or, will it be one or the other as the dedicated QB?

Welcome to BroncosForums, Gator Fan :wave:

There has been a lot of speculation on here about whether McDaniels would use Tebow in goal line and the wild horse (Wild hawg/Wildcat) formation until he is ready to be the full time starter.

Lonestar
05-08-2010, 12:06 PM

Welcome to the forum

Not sure how he is going to be used this year ,

Most guesses are that Orton will start and Tebow will be used as a 3rd-4th and short kinda guy and maybe used inside the red zone and occasionally as the guy in the wild horses formation that we stole from the fins.

I d not think he will be a day one starter but will be the starter next year with either quinn or Orton maybe Brandstater as the BU.

gator_fan
05-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Welcome to BroncosForums, Gator Fan :wave:

There has been a lot of speculation on here about whether McDaniels would use Tebow in goal line and the wild horse (Wild hawg/Wildcat) formation until he is ready to be the full time starter.

Thanks for the welcome. And yes, I'm reading through some of the recent threads to see what's being speculated.

I haven't been interested in following and cheering an NFL team for quite some time. Really looking forward to the coming season.

gator_fan
05-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Welcome to the forum

Not sure how he is going to be used this year ,

Most guesses are that Orton will start and Tebow will be used as a 3rd-4th and short kinda guy and maybe used inside the red zone and occasionally as the guy in the wild horses formation that we stole from the fins.

I d not think he will be a day one starter but will be the starter next year with either quinn or Orton maybe Brandstater as the BU.

Thanks for the welcome. It will certainly be fun to watch it unfold, whichever way it goes.

I'm also keenly interested in seeing how he is treated by some of the more thugish characters in the NFL, because, afterall, he is giving the NFL a good name. Tebow is the anti-thug.

Lonestar
05-08-2010, 12:33 PM
Thanks for the welcome. It will certainly be fun to watch it unfold, whichever way it goes.

I'm also keenly interested in seeing how he is treated by some of the more thugish characters in the NFL, because, afterall, he is giving the NFL a good name. Tebow is the anti-thug.

Almost seems to good to be true.

Lets hope he can become the next FQB this team and fan base has been looking for since Elway retired.

gator_fan
05-08-2010, 01:27 PM
Almost seems to good to be true.

Lets hope he can become the next FQB this team and fan base has been looking for since Elway retired.

Indeed. It is hard to find fault with the guy.

And whether he's all that or not, I don't know, but he will give it all he's got. I don't doubt that aspect of Tebow.

Lonestar
05-08-2010, 02:35 PM
Indeed. It is hard to find fault with the guy.

And whether he's all that or not, I don't know, but he will give it all he's got. I don't doubt that aspect of Tebow.

Tell your Tebow fans to joins us down the road.

We are pretty civil here.

again welcome aboard