PDA

View Full Version : A Fortified Front

Denver Native (Carol)
05-06-2010, 06:00 PM
http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=334&storyID=10111

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When the Broncos' 2009 campaign came to a close with an 8-8 record, the team knew what it needed to do to improve -- control the line of scrimmage.

Sure enough, within the first five days of free agency, the club had added 843 pounds of bulk on the defensive line.

But the overhaul didn't stop there. Next, the team moved on to the offensive line, snagging two linemen in the first three rounds of the draft, and closing out its crop of nine picks with three new linemen.

The addition of Zane Beadles, J.D. Walton and Eric Olsen -- all of whom can play multiple positions on the line -- did exactly what Head Coach Josh McDaniels and the front office set out to do after the season: increase competition.

"I think what we did that's really improved the competition at that spot is that we got bigger," McDaniels said. "I think that was a goal for us, both to assist us and protect us in the pocket, and then also being able to run the football."

The three new additions on the offensive line since the draft -- college free agents Paul Duncan and Chris Marinelli and 10th-year veteran free agent Maurice Williams -- fit the bill as well. Each of the new additions weighs at least 300 pounds, and the shortest of the group is Walton, who check in at 6-foot-3. The tallest -- Duncan and Marinelli -- are both 6-feet-7-inches.

They join Dustin Fry, a 6-foot-3, 326-pound center who also joined the team after the season, signing a future contract on January 7.

Having such a large group -- no pun intended -- of newcomers to the Broncos offensive line will help the transition for each player, according to Beadles.

"All offensive lineman are the same -- we always get along, no matter where we're at," said the second-round pick. "To be able to come in with these guys and build some camaraderie and work together and learn together (is great). Learning together is a huge thing. It's just better bouncing things off multiple guys and that's a definite advantage for us."

Another advantage the offensive linemen have is that each of them has the ability to play multiple positions along the line.

Olsen, McDaniels said, is a guard who can switch to center, Walton is a center who can switch to guard, Beadles is a tackle who can play guard and Duncan and Marinelli played both left and right tackle in college.

"We've got some versatility there that will help us," McDaniels said. "When you go to the game with seven linemen, obviously you need that to be present so that you can do what you need to do if you face an injury."

That's the approach the five rookie offensive linemen took when they took to the field for the first time as Broncos in last weekend's rookie minicamp.

McDaniels preaches that each player defines his own role on the team, and the linemen aren't taking that lightly. Each one has delved into the playbook not only for their position, but all of the slots along the offensive line.

"No matter if I'm playing one position or five positions, I think I'm a better player knowing what the guys next to me are doing," Beadles said. "I try to learn it as a whole. Maybe that's a little bit more difficult, but I think it's a better way to do it and makes me a better player."

Each player takes pride in their versatility, and each might be able to put it on display a little earlier than expected -- at least during the team's OTAs and minicamps in the coming months.

With Ryan Clady recovering from offseason surgery and Ryan Harris and Russ Hochstein working back from injuries that saw them placed on injured reserve in December last season, the young players have a chance to step up quickly.

Beadles said he and his teammates relish that opportunity.

"I think that's the biggest thing -- learning," he said. "The best way to learn is to go out and make mistakes, so I'm going to have plenty of opportunities to do that, I think. I hope I can get out there and learn from those mistakes and not make them over again."

For now, the newcomers to the line are taking it one day at a time, learning a new offense and new terminology and getting to know new teammates. Most importantly, they're doing it all together.

"While we're going to compete and try to get spots and earn our roles on this team, at the same time we're all in it together," Olsen said. "As offensive linemen, by nature that's what we do and that's what we're all about."

arapaho2
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
it seems the oline is getting fixed

Lonestar
05-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Only been waiting to fix the LOS for ten years now.

Glad Josh had the huevous to do it.

TimTebow15MVP
05-06-2010, 11:36 PM
mcdaniels is ruining the team by fixing the OL. What was a smallish older OL is now a young stout OL. We got some beef in the interior and there all nasty linemen. clady and harris should be back and better than ever. this run game is gonna be dominant thanks to mcdaniels though. knowshon moreno should have a blast running behind a great OL like he had in georgia with there power blocking schemes.

Dirk
05-07-2010, 05:38 AM
I'm not saying this team will be head and shoulders over last years team, but man o man, they are definately headed in the right direction!

I'm actually getting excited! One more draft and the "rebuilding" of this team is almost complete!! To quote Homer..."Woo Hoo!"

SOCALORADO.
05-07-2010, 07:50 AM
Only been waiting to fix the LOS for ten years now.

Glad Josh had the huevous to do it.

Yeah. This also really ends the shanny era.
New linemen, new scheme, new era. This team has been completely revamped and it has a new identity.
I loved every linemen pick in this draft, and i think all of them will contribute if not be starters by week 1.
Man, i am glad this team got some maulers on the lines!
The era of watching DEN linemen getting "rag dolled" all game is over!

LTC Pain
05-07-2010, 08:28 AM
I like O-lineman with an attitude. They would just as soon kick your ass as block you :)

silkamilkamonico
05-07-2010, 11:19 AM
mcdaniels is ruining the team by fixing the OL. What was a smallish older OL is now a young stout OL. We got some beef in the interior and there all nasty linemen. clady and harris should be back and better than ever. this run game is gonna be dominant thanks to mcdaniels though. knowshon moreno should have a blast running behind a great OL like he had in georgia with there power blocking schemes.

So explain how he is "ruining" the team?

Lonestar
05-07-2010, 01:12 PM
Yeah. This also really ends the shanny era.
New linemen, new scheme, new era. This team has been completely revamped and it has a new identity.
I loved every linemen pick in this draft, and i think all of them will contribute if not be starters by week 1.
Man, i am glad this team got some maulers on the lines!
The era of watching DEN linemen getting "rag dolled" all game is over!

With some time I doubt we ever see an OLG look like he was on roller skates being pushed back ion the pocket on a consistent basis.

I like Hamilton when there was a chance of him getting help format eh center and PLT in the ZBS, But once he had to do it one on one he was out of his league against guys that out weighed him by 40-80 pounds.

Now you may say that adding 20-30 pounds in that hole will not do much good but by the EOG each week those DT and NT will have their ass dragging especially in DEN Ben just did not have the ability toput on the muscle and keep it playing at maybe 285 is not going to make it in the NFL..

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-07-2010, 01:15 PM

Was this a typo in the first sentence? Because going along with the rest of the post it made absolutely no sense!:lol:

T.K.O.
05-07-2010, 01:21 PM
2 guys are 6'7"...wow thats some big dudes.
too tall jones was only 6'9"....i know the players are all getting bigger but 2 new guys that size is rare even today.
i just hope they make the other team look like "puny humans":eek:

KyleOrtonArmySoldier#128
05-07-2010, 01:26 PM
2 guys are 6'7"...wow thats some big dudes.
too tall jones was only 6'9"....i know the players are all getting bigger but 2 new guys that size is rare even today.
i just hope they make the other team look like "puny humans":eek:

I thought he was 6'11"

Softskull
05-07-2010, 01:31 PM
We might have up to three rookies on the Oline this year. That rarely spells success, at least initially. Even if all three are good players and can make it at the NFL level, they'll need a year or two of gellin'. The new Oline coach will have his work cut out for him.

T.K.O.
05-07-2010, 01:53 PM
I thought he was 6'11"

Ed Lee "Too Tall" Jones (born February 23, 1951 in Jackson, Tennessee) is a former American football player in the National Football League for the Dallas Cowboys. By the end of his 15 years with the Cowboys, he was officially credited with 57 quarterback sacks. Unofficially, his career sack total is 106 (sacks did not become an official NFL statistic until 1982).[1] His highest single-season sack total was 13 (in 1986). He was a member of the famed "Doomsday Defense" squad of the 1970s. Jones was given the nickname "Too Tall" because of his height, 6 ft 9 in (206 cm).