PDA

View Full Version : OL Maurice Williams signed with Broncos

Magnificent Seven
05-06-2010, 04:20 PM
The Broncos on Thursday added another offensive lineman, free agent Maurice Williams.

The team also announced the release of college free agents Marcellus Bowman, a safety from Boston College, and Michael Shumard, a guard from Texas A&M.

Williams is a 10th-year offensive lineman who spent his first nine NFL seasons with Jacksonville. Of the 105 games he has played his career, he has started 100 of them. That number ranks seventh in Jaguars history.

Those starts have been spread out across the offensive line — 86 at right tackle, 12 at right guard and two at left tackle. He has started all 16 games in five seasons.

More on the newcomers to the Broncos offensive line this afternoon.

http://blog.denverbroncos.com/denverbroncos/o-line-adds-100-game-starter/

BroncoWave
05-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Hmm, don't know anything about him but appears to be a solid vet signing. Someone else to mentor the rookies at worst.

silkamilkamonico
05-06-2010, 04:45 PM
Hmm, don't know anything about him but appears to be a solid vet signing. Someone else to mentor the rookies at worst.

Backup plan in case Clady's rehab doesn't go as well as expected and he's out longer I'm sure.

ikillz0mbies
05-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Decent insurance policy. At least they didn't sign Flozell Adams.

broncobryce
05-06-2010, 05:11 PM
The next great LT in the NFL

T.K.O.
05-06-2010, 05:26 PM
nfl.com has him only starting 4 games last year and only playing in 5 ?
i wonder if he's coming off an injury?:confused:
but 6'5" and 302 lbs...brings the beef

Denver Native (Carol)
05-06-2010, 05:27 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/mauricewilliams/profile?id=WIL435377

Maurice Williams

Height: 6-5 Weight: 302 Age: 31

Born: 1/26/1979 Detroit , MI

College: Michigan

Experience: 9th season

High School: Pershing HS [Detroit, MI]

BigBroncLove
05-06-2010, 05:30 PM
Thats three UDFA the broncos brought in for mini-camps that have already been released and replaced. It's a quick turn around for those poor players but personally I like the way the Broncos FO is running business. They aren't wasting time on guys that they believe have shown themselves lacking in the rookie mini-camps. On the flip-side, who knows, the guys released could end up becoming real contributors on another team since a few days is hardly a chance to see how these young guys could develop. Still, I like it. Rather bring in other guys who have a chance to contribute then guys the FO feel, just from a few days of work, will not be able to.

Spiritguy
05-06-2010, 05:54 PM
They released two UDFA's and brought in Williams. wonder if they have someone else in mind, if the two guys just weren't cutting it, or if he's such a big guy they needed to let go of two guys to make room. :D

broncophan
05-06-2010, 07:00 PM
Wow......he has started 100 out of 105 games .......that sounds pretty good to me....

Lonestar
05-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Wow......he has started 100 out of 105 games .......that sounds pretty good to me....

But they were for JAX so in real life experience that means 12 .:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

BroncoWave
05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
But they were for JAX so in real life experience that means 12 .:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

It's not like the Jags have been a horrible team in that stretch. :confused:

Lonestar
05-06-2010, 10:15 PM
It's not like the Jags have been a horrible team in that stretch. :confused:

If you say so they may have won some games, but mostly because they had a GREAAAAAT DL for much of his time there. IIRC

BroncoWave
05-06-2010, 10:19 PM
If you say so they may have won some games, but mostly because they had a GREAAAAAT DL for much of his time there. IIRC

100+ games of starting experience in the NFL is nothing to turn your nose up at, I don't care who you play for.

Perhaps you could analyze his strengths and weaknesses for us since you seem so convinced that him starting for the Jags was meaningless?

Lonestar
05-06-2010, 10:22 PM

100+ games of starting experience in the NFL is nothing to turn your nose up at, I don't care who you play for.

Perhaps you could analyze his strengths and weaknesses for us since you seem so convinced that him starting for the Jags was meaningless?

Note the laughing going on. and then ask IF you want a Analyzation.

Time to get a humor.

BroncoWave
05-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Note the laughing going on. and then ask IF you want a Analyzation.

Time to get a humor.

To me it seemed as if you were laughing at the player. I just figured you knew something about him that I didn't. :whoknows:

Lonestar
05-06-2010, 10:33 PM
To me it seemed as if you were laughing at the player. I just figured you knew something about him that I didn't. :whoknows:

do not know him from Adam just know that he played 105 games in JAX started 100 but did not lay much last year and is a UFA.

Must be a reason for that.

UnderArmour
05-06-2010, 10:43 PM
do not know him from Adam just know that he played 105 games in JAX started 100 but did not lay much last year and is a UFA.

Must be a reason for that.

He was injured. Detroit, the #1 team on the Waiver Wire last December(or #2, w/e) claimed him but he failed the physical, hence why he was an UFA and likely why he lost his job and was released in the first place.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1431

broncofaninfla
05-07-2010, 07:52 AM
Journeyman depth, not a bad signing. The Jax fans here didn't love him or hate him. I'm guessing he'll make the roster backing one of the rookies up.........

GEM
05-07-2010, 10:04 AM

Jacksonville's front line hasn't been horrible. :shrugs: It's camp filler in case Clady doesn't react well to rehab.

broncophan
05-07-2010, 02:19 PM
Jacksonville's front line hasn't been horrible. :shrugs: It's camp filler in case Clady doesn't react well to rehab.

Seems that he could possibly be more than camp filler looking at his past success.:confused: