PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Mailbag Denver Post

Lonestar
05-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Essentially, the 2008 offseason is finished, in terms of reshaping the roster. Now it's time for coach Mike Shanahan to integrate his new players with the holdovers, beginning with the first mini-camp session on May 19.

Nowhere did the Broncos have greater change than at linebacker. The Broncos will have new starters at all three positions with Niko Koutouvides in the middle, Boss Bailey at the strongside and D.J. Williams moving from the middle to the weakside. They even have a new linebacker coach in Jim Ryan, who was a Broncos linebacker for 10 years.

Let's open the mail.

I really like how the Broncos are now paying more attention to a player's character when acquiring new talent. It seems that the Broncos adopted a new philosophy this offseason. They didn't overspend in the free-agent market for run-down talent. What compelled the Broncos to take this new direction?
-- Jay Yu, Los Angeles

Jay - I think there were just enough embarrassing off-field incidents in the past year or so for Pat Bowlen and Mike Shanahan to recommit to their goal of having the Broncos' organization stand as a beacon in the Denver community. The Broncos' lineup of trouble last year: David Kircus, Brandon Marshall, Travis Henry, Darrell Hackney and Todd Sauerbrun.

At heart, Shanahan is a street-wise kid from the blue-collar suburbs of Chicago. His background helps explain why he has been prone to give players with a troubled past a second chance.

This year, though, Shanahan didn't have to spend one second explaining why he acquired the latest character risk. To the contrary, high character came into play with the Broncos' second-round pick, No. 42 overall. By far, the most talented receiver/returner available at No. 42 was DeSean Jackson. But there were enough flags on the Cal star that had the Broncos wondering if Jackson didn't have a little Javon Walker-like attitude in him.
They had just dumped Walker in part because of his occasional self-before-team forays. Why turn around and add another player with a similar reputation? So the Broncos took Eddie Royal - who not only has exceptional returner-receiver skills, but also exudes maturity - with their No. 42 pick. Jackson didn't go until seven picks later to Philadelphia.

That fine line between character and talent, though, can be difficult to straddle. You can't have a locker room of choirboys and win in the NFL. All teams wish they had 45 men who are beasts on Sundays and exemplary citizens the rest of the week. And all teams know it doesn't work that way.

Mike - Please tell me what you think about our two defensive draft picks from last year: Tim Crowder and Jarvis Moss. Crowder seemed to have a modestly successful second half, and Moss had a season-ending leg injury. What do you expect from these two this year?
-- Shannon, Bend, Ore.

Shannon - I think Moss, the first-round pick in 2007, and Crowder, the second-round pick, are keys to the 2008 season. Moss has questions because he is a speed rusher coming off serious injuries to his leg and ankle. He is completely finished with his rehabilitation, and Moss says he's 100 percent. But he knows there will be skeptics until he gets his next NFL sack.
Crowder did come on last year after he too was slowed by an ankle injury during the preseason. It will be interesting to see how Broncos defensive coordinator Bob Slowik divvies up the playing time between five defensive ends this year: Moss, Crowder, Elvis Dumervil and veterans John Engelberger and Ebenezer Ekuban.

I saw in your pre-draft Broncos' wish list that the Broncos would not let DeSean Jackson slip past them at No. 42, but that's just what they did, drafting Eddie Royal instead. I can understand why (size, character issues with Jackson). But was this a mistake?
-- Aaron, Thornton

Aaron - See answer to first question. Jackson's size (169 pounds compared to 184 pounds for Royal) was a factor. But in terms of pure talent, most teams considered Jackson a freak, worthy of a top-15 pick. Instead, he didn't go until No. 49. It's not until after a major talent slips that it dawns on me to ask: How come he slipped?

Hey, Mike. Looking at the past three drafts, including this one, would you say that the Broncos are on the right track to building the team the right way? It appears that Broncos management is learning from its mistakes.
-- Eddie Morris, Kennett Square, Pa.

Eddie - Sometimes, I think we all overrate the draft. The Broncos, for example. From their four-year draft period of 2001-04, they have just two players, linebacker D.J. Williams and guard Ben Hamilton, remaining. Yet, the Broncos had home-field advantage in the AFC Championship game in 2005. This serves as a reminder: The draft represents just one-third of roster construction with free agency and trades each having another third.

Then again, it's become evident the Missing Years to the Broncos' draft did leave a talent hole in the middle of their roster entering the 2008 offseason. The Broncos love the talent of their players 25 and younger, starting with quarterback Jay Cutler, receiver Brandon Marshall and defensive end Elvis Dumervil. And they have a number of quality 30-somethings, starting with cornerback Champ Bailey on June 22.

But the talent gap of players between the ages of 26 and 29 is why they dipped into free agency and signed Darrell Jackson (29), Keary Colbert (26 on May 21), Samie Parker (27), Boss Bailey (28), Niko Koutouvides (27), Marquand Manuel (28) and traded for Dewayne Robertson (26).

Ryan Clady (OT), Ryan Torain (big RB) and Peyton Hillis (versatile FB) could make the Broncos better in the red zone - don't you think?
-- Tony Ellsworth, Papillion, Neb.

Tony - I think calling more plays for Jay Cutler, and Cutler making better, quicker reads in the constricted area as he enters his third season, are the keys to an improved red-zone offense. But I see your point. Size does come into play on red-zone rushing attempts. And Clady (320 pounds), Torain (not only 6-feet, 222 pounds, but also a terrific leaper) and Hillis (242 pounds) are all larger than their predecessors or incumbents.

Hello, Mike. Why didn't the Broncos draft a punter or kicker in the draft? These are positions that will come back and haunt them during the season.
-- Mark Webster, York, Pa.

Mark - For whatever reason, there are just as many quality NFL kickers and punters who went undrafted as they were drafted. The list of undrafted kickers includes Adam Vinatieri, Rob Bironas, David Akers and John Carney. Entering the latest draft, the Broncos rated Toledo punter Brett Kern slightly higher than Georgia Tech's Durant Brooks. It took a sixth-round draft pick to get Brooks, who went to Washington. The Broncos signed Kern as an undrafted free agent.

The Broncos also signed Oklahoma kicker Garrett Hartley as an undrafted free agent. Hartley has a strong leg, capable of handling placement and kickoff duties.

In Matt Prater and Hartley, the Broncos are submitting hints as to why they didn't make a stronger attempt to keep Jason Elam. The Broncos want a kicker who can handle both field goals and kickoffs. Elam was exceptional on field goals, especially in the clutch, but hasn't handled kickoffs for years. The question all of Broncoland is wondering: What price, kickoffs?

Mike - What are the chances of getting Shaun Alexander in a Broncos uniform and ditching Travis Henry?
-- Dave Law, Lakewood

Dave - I'm a big fan of Shaun Alexander as a person and have found myself pulling for him in recent years. However, it would appear that as running backs go, he'll be an old 31 this year. I think if the Broncos were going to dump Henry, they would have taken Oregon running back Jonathan Stewart, and not Boise State left tackle Ryan Clady, with their No. 12 overall pick.

If Ryan Torain, who the Broncos selected in the fifth round, wasn't coming off a foot injury, he'd have a chance to push Henry for playing time by the fourth or fifth game. But the foot injury means Torain can't be counted on for a big rookie season.

This would be a perfect tailback season for the Broncos: Henry rushes for 1,000 yards; Selvin Young gets 700 yards rushing and another 300 receiving; and Torain gets 250 yards rushing with some short-yardage touchdowns.

The Broncos have recently loaded up on veteran receivers. Does this relate to their view of Brandon Marshall's future?
-- Darren, Toronto

Darren - I asked the same question. And the Broncos told me no, they just wanted to add depth to an important position, given their hopes are pinned on the continued development of quarterback Jay Cutler. But given the severity of Marshall's forearm injury, adding veteran insurance makes sense. Doctors, and therefore the Broncos, are hopeful Marshall will not only fully recover from his injury, but also return to full strength by the end of training camp.

I've never met a doctor, though, who guaranteed anything. The primary concern could be Marshall's nerve damage. Nerves take longer to heal. And in the case of Darius Watts, they don't always heal.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9161897

SOCALORADO.
05-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Nice post, man. Good stuff.

Lonestar
05-10-2008, 02:27 PM
Nice post, man. Good stuff.

Since no one else had posted it and it is really slow, I went out and found it page one of the DP.

It was not all that hard..

SOCALORADO.
05-10-2008, 02:42 PM
Since no one else had posted it and it is really slow, I went out and found it page one of the DP.

It was not all that hard..

I am soooo glad DEN passed on "me"sean. Guy is a total clown, and PHI will have the same issues with him, they had with TO.

Lonestar
05-10-2008, 02:48 PM
I am soooo glad DEN passed on "me"sean. Guy is a total clown, and PHI will have the same issues with him, they had with TO.

I have not seen him be that way but I have not followed his career all the close..

He was a force to be reckoned with before he was injured.. I wish him well where ever he plays..

Brand
05-10-2008, 04:19 PM
I am happy with the Royal pick. Enough said. No need to degrade Me-Sean any longer.

Bigger issue is the continued rehab of Marshall. If the nerve doesn't heal enough, he will be a small footnote in the Broncos' History book. I hope he avoids TVs in the future.....

Numbskull........

SOCALORADO.
05-10-2008, 06:47 PM
I have not seen him be that way but I have not followed his career all the close..

He was a force to be reckoned with before he was injured.. I wish him well where ever he plays..

1st he flipped off the USC fans at BOTH games last year.
2nd he has had his off field little pu$$y BS altercations
3rd he dressed up like he was "Kanye" on draft day.
4th he thinks his $h!t dont stink.
Basically, hes a clown.

Lonestar
05-10-2008, 06:57 PM
1st he flipped off the USC fans at BOTH games last year.
2nd he has had his off field little pu$$y BS altercations
3rd he dressed up like he was "Kanye" on draft day.
4th he thinks his $h!t dont stink.
Basically, hes a clown.

Hey I can buy that thanks for th info..

Personally I'd never draft a WR for any reason. Why to many head cases..

SO drafting this midget is so far off my radar screen, HE is invisible..

Hopefully his buff midget brother can help the return game and maybe the slot spot in the future BUT I'm not holding my breath.. The DAFTED WR failure rate in DEN is like 93%.. I'd tell him not to buy a hose int a down market might be to hard to sell in SEPT..

SOCALORADO.
05-10-2008, 07:41 PM
Hey I can buy that thanks for th info..

Personally I'd never draft a WR for any reason. Why to many head cases..

SO drafting this midget is so far off my radar screen, HE is invisible..

Hopefully his buff midget brother can help the return game and maybe the slot spot in the future BUT I'm not holding my breath.. The DAFTED WR failure rate in DEN is like 93%.. I'd tell him not to buy a hose int a down market might be to hard to sell in SEPT..

Oh i know the WR nightmare in DEN. Jeez, i made a list once and got sick to my stomach! Horrid history, and "me"sean would have been just one more!
Yeah i hope that Royal can come in and contribute.
We'll see.

TheReverend
05-11-2008, 09:02 AM
I'm certain Mike sat down when the off-season began, looked at the roster and realized our team woes were directly correlated to the lack of 26-29 yr olds on the roster...

TheDave
05-11-2008, 10:33 PM
The primary concern could be Marshall's nerve damage. Nerves take longer to heal. And in the case of Darius Watts, they don't always heal.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_9161897

That sentence alone almost made me sick...

Lonestar
05-11-2008, 11:10 PM
That sentence alone almost made me sick...

I had a son that cut his hand badly once 8 hours or so of micro surgery on the nerves failed.. there went a promising art career.

I still have no partially no feeling in a foot after back surgery..

I have grave concerns for marshall also.

TheDave
05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
I had a son that cut his hand badly once 8 hours or so of micro surgery on the nerves failed.. there went a promising art career.

I still have no partially no feeling in a foot after back surgery..

I have grave concerns for marshall also.

My biggest fear is the quality of the surgeon that performed the initial operation. When he initially had his accident he was rushed to the local ER. The quality of surgeon staffing the near-by emrgency room is not the quality of Dr. i would want working on me whith my career on the line. All we can do is hope for the best.

Lonestar
08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
The Broncos Mailbag with NFL reporter Mike Klis

Lighten up and find your happy place, critics by Mike Klis , The Denver Post

Broncos showed some promise. I lived in Colorado for 12 years and have remained a loyal Broncos fan in the 20 years since leaving Colorado. I understood the move to replace Mike Shanahan, but Josh McDaniels has embarrassed himself and the franchise. I had arrangements with a Redskins fan, so I'm stuck with tickets for the game at FedEx Field. I will give them away.

John, Bedminster, N.J.
Mike Klis: Holy smokes. Let's back up a second, John. You've been a Broncos fan the past 20 years. That means during the second half of your fandom, you stayed loyal even though the Broncos won one playoff game. One playoff win in 10 years. I can almost guarantee that if Josh McDaniels is given 10 years here, he will win at least one playoff game.

You stayed loyal, John, through the past three seasons of a 24-24, no-playoff stumble. And now you're bailing on a young coach after one preseason game? Granted, McJaygate was embarrassing for the Broncos . I'm guessing Kyle Orton's interception spree in the first preseason game wasn't how McDaniels dreamed it up.

But I saw some promise in the game Friday. The first-string defense essentially allowed one field goal in one half (the touchdown was on Orton's third interception, which was returned to the 3-yard line.) The Broncos' offense outgained the 49ers, 341-278.

The game against the Redskins isn't until Nov. 15. Until then, continue following the Broncos on denverpost.com. Continue to deride them if you wish. But reading denverpost.com is a great way for New Jerseyites to start their day.

Then after you see McDaniels' team perform in our nation's capital, you will be able to make your decision based on more information, and greater patience.

Hillis, Simms show their competitiveness. I'm behind Josh McDaniels. I like the attitude and it takes time to build a team. I can be patient. But if he is true to his word on open competition, shouldn't Peyton Hillis and Chris Simms be getting reps with the first team?

Jonah, Viroqua, Wis.

Mike: Let's start with Hillis. He clearly ran more effectively than LaMont Jordan against the 49ers. In fairness to Jordan, he had been out with a leg injury going into the game. Even if the leg was fine, it appeared he had some lingering mental effects. It even looked like he stopped as the tacklers closed in during one carry up the middle. Jordan ran much harder in practices Sunday and Monday.

Hillis never stops. He may miss a hole to the left or the right. But he is the definition of a north-south runner. His style is what makes him so popular among the masses, in my opinion.

In the practices following the 49ers' game, Hillis got his usual first-team carries at fullback, but was the No. 3 tailback - behind Jordan and Darius Walker (Correll Buckhalter is nursing soreness and Knowshon Moreno is injured). And Simms continued to work with the second team even though he clearly outplayed Orton against San Francisco.

Coaches have to proclaim "open competition" to help keep their players motivated. But the reality is nobody wants Champ Bailey to lose his cornerback position if he has a bad day of practice.

New 3-4 disguises pass rush. It was nice to see some sacks against the 49ers. It's been a while. Do you think that's because of the move to the 3-4?

Aaron, Cortez

Mike: Yes, the 3-4 had much to do with the pressure on San Francisco's quarterbacks. The beauty of the 3-4 is an offense never knows where the fourth rusher will come from. The 4-3 telegraphs the four-

man pass rush. The 3-4 rush will generally come from the three down linemen, and any one of the four linebackers.

Elvis Dumervil has proven he can sack the quarterback out of the 4-3. But he was frequently double- teamed the last 1 1/2 seasons. In the 3-4, an offense can't risk assigning a second blocker to Dumervil because he might be dropping back into coverage while another rusher blitzes in from the other side.

Something else about the 3-4: It always looks like a blitz, even when only four men rush. But because the fourth rusher might be a safety or outside linebacker, it can cause chaos for the offensive line and QB.

----------------------------------------

Showing up a start

Since Jabar Gaffney beat out Brandon Marshall, I assume that means Brandon will be traded really soon. Where do you think he will go?

Brian, Idaho Falls, Idaho

Mike Klis: Gaffney, right, exemplifies the notion that when it comes to getting the job done, nothing is more important than showing up. He didn't beat out Marshall so much as Marshall skipped the bulk of the offseason training sessions.

I think Marshall has one more ``pay me or trade me'' demand in him before camp expires. But I'd be surprised if he's paid beyond his current $2.2 million salary or traded anytime soon. Still, it's difficult to envision a happy ending.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9957788/Online-Chatter