PDA

View Full Version : Falcons' Garland living two dreams

Lonestar
05-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Falcons' Garland living two dreams
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
POSTED: 05/05/2010 01:00:00 AM MDT

Garland, left, must serve two years before he can pursue NFL.
For three days last weekend, Ben Garland was just one of 19 undrafted Broncos rookies, spending his first days on an NFL team, going through practices with his new teammates and sitting through meetings led by his new coaches.

This week, Garland is back to his regular life as a cadet at the Air Force Academy, preparing for his May 26 graduation.

"It's definitely two full-time jobs, but both are my dreams. It is my dream to be an Air Force officer, to have that honor, follow in my grandfather's footsteps and be able to go that route," said Garland, who wants to become an Air Force pilot.

"And the NFL is my dream, and when you have two dreams like that, you're able to work hard and push yourself as hard as you can, and I'll do my best."

But no matter how much the former Air Force defensive lineman impresses Denver's coaching staff over the rest of the Broncos' offseason program and training camp, his NFL dream will have to wait. He is required to serve two years of active duty before applying for an early release so he can pursue an NFL career.

"If this is a down-the-road thing, then it's a down-the- road thing," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said last weekend. "But I would hate to miss the opportunity to get to know him and get the opportunity to evaluate him as a player up close and personal when we have the opportunity like we do right now."

The 6-foot-2, 270-pound Garland had 4 1/2 sacks and 10 tackles for a loss last season for the Falcons. He has an example to follow in Chad Hall, a former Air Force running back who recently signed with the Philadelphia Eagles after serving his two-year commitment. Hall had previously participated in minicamps with the Atlanta Falcons and the Buffalo Bills.

But McDaniels and Garland both seemed pleased the defender stayed close to home for his first NFL experience.

That means Garland will be making the trek north on Interstate 25 several more times before graduation as he balances minicamps — the next one starts May 17 — with classes and final exams. Garland, a native of Grand Junction, said he also had a free-agent offer from the New Orleans Saints, but that it was an easy decision to stay in Colorado, logistically and emotionally.
"It was the perfect fit, not to mention they're the best team — well, my favorite team, I should say," Garland said.

For the Broncos, having Garland here now means they might get the first shot at him when he is ready to be a full- time football player.

"Now we know him, we know about him, we know what he's about, we know what we like about him, we know where there are things that he can work on and all the rest of that stuff," McDaniels said. "He's a kid that we think fits kind of what we're looking for. He's smart, he's tough, he's the kind of person we're looking for and we think that he has got some versatility, also. It makes sense for us to bring him in and take a look and see what happens."

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com