PDA

View Full Version : Your top 25 metal albums of alltime?

Northman
05-09-2008, 10:39 AM
Although i had a top 100 at one point my feelings have changed a lot on certain records and ive finally narrowed it down to 25.....for now. lmao

No real particular order here.

1. Summoning- Stronghold
2. Veneficum- Enigma Prognosis
3. Aborted- The Archaic Abattoir
4. Fall of Serafim- Nex Iehovae
5. Devin Townsend- Terria
6. Savatage- Hall of the Mountain King
7. Judas Priest- Painkiller
8. Metallica- Master of Puppets
9. Esqarial- Discoveries
10. Dimmu Borgir- Enthroned, Darkness, Triumphant
11. Mastodon- Blood Mountain
12. Dies Irae- Sculpture of Stone
13. Kataxu- Hunger of Elements
14. Entombed- Left Hand Path
15. Book of Black Earth- The Feast
16. Laaz Rockit- Annihilation Principle
17. Death- Spiritual Healing
18. Type O Negative- October Rust
19. Vader- Litany
20. Testament- The New Order
21. King Diamond- Them
22. Overkill- The Years of Decay
23. Sphere- Damned Souls Rituals
24. Megadeth- Rust in Peace
25. Slayer- Seasons in the Abyss

MOtorboat
05-09-2008, 10:57 AM
How can Led Zeppelin not have three of the Top 25? They were the original heavy metal...imho...:coffee:

Northman
05-09-2008, 11:05 AM
How can Led Zeppelin not have three of the Top 25? They were the original heavy metal...imho...:coffee:

Nah, they are classic rock and thats a whole other discussion. :D:beer:

MOtorboat
05-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Nah, they are classic rock and thats a whole other discussion. :D:beer:

Nope...original metal band...:coffee:

MOtorboat
05-09-2008, 11:17 AM
I have to admit, my metal band Top 10 would be kind of shallow (read: mainstream)...not sure I could come up with 25...

claymore
05-09-2008, 11:19 AM
20. Testament- The New Order
One of the best concerts I have ever been to. DRI and Testament.

Northman
05-09-2008, 11:24 AM
Nope...original metal band...:coffee:

I have no doubt that they helped influence Heavy Metal but they are a classic rock band. Hard rock at the very most. As for "the" band to start heavy metal it would have been Black Sabbath. But anyway, feel free to post your top 25 even if you feel Zeppelin somehow belongs in the discussion. Im curious as what you would have up there.

MOtorboat
05-09-2008, 11:40 AM
You'll probably laugh at my entries, but here goes...

1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
2. Metallica - Master of Puppets
3. Metallica - The Black Album
4. Soundgarden - Down on the Upside (Probably not metal in your book, but most of it I thought was pretty heavy)
5. Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Oz
6. Judas Priest - British Steel
7. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
8. AC/DC - Highway to Hell
9. Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
10. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Probably some that many would consider more Hard Rock than Heavy Metal...

Davii
05-09-2008, 11:54 AM
Well put together list Anubis.

There are only two bands I can think of I don't see on there, that I would put up there.

Cradle Of Filth - Either "Bitter Suites To Succubi", "Midian", or "Dark Faery Tales in Phallustein"

the other band would be Acid Bath. Either one of their albums, truly genre changing stuff.

Northman
05-09-2008, 11:56 AM
You'll probably laugh at my entries, but here goes...

1. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
2. Metallica - Master of Puppets
3. Metallica - The Black Album
4. Soundgarden - Down on the Upside (Probably not metal in your book, but most of it I thought was pretty heavy)
5. Ozzy Osbourne - Blizzard of Oz
6. Judas Priest - British Steel
7. Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin
8. AC/DC - Highway to Hell
9. Guns and Roses - Appetite for Destruction
10. Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Probably some that many would consider more Hard Rock than Heavy Metal...

Nah, its cool. If i were to do a more rock oriented list there would be a couple from your list that would make mine. I would have to really sit down and figure out which ones would make my top 25 but these are some of my favorites.

Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti
Soundgarden- Superunknown
Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger
Pearl Jam- Ten
Beck- Mellow Gold
Rush- Moving Pictures
Van Halen- 1984
Ratt- Out of the Cellar
Def Leppard- Pyromania
Ozzy Osbourne- No Rest for the Wicked (more metal than rock but works well here)
Guns-n-Roses- Appetite for Destruction
Dave Matthew's Band- Crash
Dokken- Tooth and Nail
Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
Nirvana- Nevermind

MOtorboat
05-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Nah, its cool. If i were to do a more rock oriented list there would be a couple from your list that would make mine. I would have to really sit down and figure out which ones would make my top 25 but these are some of my favorites.

Led Zeppelin- Physical Graffiti
Soundgarden- Superunknown
Soundgarden- Badmotorfinger
Pearl Jam- Ten
Beck- Mellow Gold
Rush- Moving Pictures
Van Halen- 1984
Ratt- Out of the Cellar
Def Leppard- Pyromania
Ozzy Osbourne- No Rest for the Wicked (more metal than rock but works well here)
Guns-n-Roses- Appetite for Destruction
Dave Matthew's Band- Crash
Dokken- Tooth and Nail
Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream
Nirvana- Nevermind

Yeah, I could do Top 10 lists all day...I'm a little like Jack Black's character in Hi Fidelity...

Northman
05-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Well put together list Anubis.

There are only two bands I can think of I don't see on there, that I would put up there.

Cradle Of Filth - Either "Bitter Suites To Succubi", "Midian", or "Dark Faery Tales in Phallustein"

the other band would be Acid Bath. Either one of their albums, truly genre changing stuff.

Yea, honestly ive heard of Acid Bath but never really heard their music. Im assuming their grindcore? Not really my realm if they are. As for COF, if i had to add one of their's to my list it would have been "Cruelty and the Beast" for me. But those are some solid albums you listed. :beer:

CoachChaz
05-09-2008, 12:22 PM
1. Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
2. Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration (the Chris Barnes days)
3. Fear Factory - Demanufacture
4. Sepultura - Roots
5. Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium
6. Voivod - Nothingface
7. Megadeth - Peace Sells...
8. Enslaved - Eld
9. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
10. Death - Leprosy
11. Paradise Lost - Gothic
12. Anthrax - Among the Living
13. White Zombie - La Sexorcisto
14. Deicide - Deicide
15. Cro-Mags - Best Wishes
16. Slayer - Reign in Blood
17. Obituary - Slowly We Rot
18. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
19. Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
20. Opeth - Morningrise
21. Entombed - Wolverine Blues
22. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
23. Slipknot - Slipknot
24. Manowar - Battle Hymns
25. Carcass - Heartwork

other...

Acid Bath - When the Kite String Pops
Brujeria - Matando Gueros
Brutal Truth - Need to Control
Venom - Black Metal

Northman
05-09-2008, 12:27 PM
1. Kyuss - Blues for the Red Sun
2. Napalm Death - From Enslavement to Obliteration (the Chris Barnes days)
3. Fear Factory - Demanufacture
4. Sepultura - Roots
5. Cathedral - Forest of Equilibrium
6. Voivod - Nothingface
7. Megadeth - Peace Sells...
8. Enslaved - Eld
9. Pantera - Cowboys From Hell
10. Death - Leprosy
11. Paradise Lost - Gothic
12. Anthrax - Among the Living
13. White Zombie - La Sexorcisto
14. Deicide - Deicide
15. Cro-Mags - Best Wishes
16. Slayer - Reign in Blood
17. Obituary - Slowly We Rot
18. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
19. Satyricon - Nemesis Divina
20. Opeth - Morningrise
21. Entombed - Wolverine Blues
22. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
23. Slipknot - Slipknot
24. Manowar - Battle Hymns
25. Carcass - Heartwork

other...

Brujeria - Matando Gueros
Brutal Truth - Need to Control
Venom - Black Metal

Nice list. The ones i highlighted definitely made my top 100.

Davii
05-09-2008, 12:29 PM

You had at me hello

CoachChaz
05-09-2008, 12:33 PM
I can dig some Acid bath. Kite was my favorite of theirs though.

Davii
05-09-2008, 12:34 PM
Yea, honestly ive heard of Acid Bath but never really heard their music. Im assuming their grindcore? Not really my realm if they are. As for COF, if i had to add one of their's to my list it would have been "Cruelty and the Beast" for me. But those are some solid albums you listed. :beer:

Acid Bath was a seminal band from Louisiana, USA active from 1991 to 1997. It is impossible to categorize Acid Bath under one label, as they combined sludge/doom, death, grind, stoner, blues rock, and even folk in their music.

Definitely agree on Cruelty and The Beast, damn good album, I don't know why it didn't pop in my head when I was thinking about it.

Davii
05-09-2008, 12:35 PM
I can dig some Acid bath. Kite was my favorite of theirs though.

Dax Riggs still plays around here quite a bit. With a band called Dead Men and the Elephant Boy now.

CoachChaz
05-09-2008, 12:36 PM
Nice list. The ones i highlighted definitely made my top 100.

If I went beyond what I already have, I'd have to throw in...

COF - Dusk and Her Embrace
Anathema - Serenades
Eyehategod: In the Name of Suffering
Flotsam & Jetsam: Doomsday For The Receiver
Exciter: Heavy Metal Maniac
Immortal: Battles In The North

Good Lord, I could be here all day.

Davii
05-09-2008, 12:38 PM
If I went beyond what I already have, I'd have to throw in...

COF - Dusk and Her Embrace
Anathema - Serenades
Eyehategod: In the Name of Suffering
Flotsam & Jetsam: Doomsday For The Receiver
Exciter: Heavy Metal Maniac
Immortal: Battles In The North

Yeah me too, that's why I just threw out two bands and walk away, slowly, but walk away. Definitely no shortage of great bands/albums available to pick from.

Northman

Same here. :lol:

CoachChaz
Dax Riggs still plays around here quite a bit. With a band called Dead Men and the Elephant Boy now.

NOLA has a ton of awesome underground shit. If half of it got the exposure that DOWN got, it'd be awesome.

Davii
05-09-2008, 12:40 PM
NOLA has a ton of awesome underground shit. If half of it got the exposure that DOWN got, it'd be awesome.

If you get out here before I have to move i'll take you to a place in Fat city called The Bar. Awesome metal club, some of the best metal bands i've ever heard play there, there's some good metal band there pretty much every night of the week.

One Eyed Jacks and Checkpoint Charlies are always good for some vocal chord thrashing screams as well.

CoachChaz
05-09-2008, 12:45 PM
If you get out here before I have to move i'll take you to a place in Fat city called The Bar. Awesome metal club, some of the best metal bands i've ever heard play there, there's some good metal band there pretty much every night of the week.

One Eyed Jacks and Checkpoint Charlies are always good for some vocal chord thrashing screams as well.

Sounds like a plan. We had a place in Dallas like that on many occasions, but none of the places can ever seem to stay open for more than a few years.

sisterhellfyre
05-11-2008, 10:50 PM
Sounds like a plan. We had a place in Dallas like that on many occasions, but none of the places can ever seem to stay open for more than a few years.

I'm really surprised to see no mention of...

Iron Maiden?

Alice Cooper?

Dio?

Kudos to whoever it was that added Cradle of Filth and White Zombie to the mix, too. :-)

Regards,
m.

Northman
05-11-2008, 11:09 PM
Bands like Maiden and so on would make my top 100. Just not my top 25. :)

sisterhellfyre
05-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Bands like Maiden and so on would make my top 100. Just not my top 25. :)

I can see that, knowing your tastes from following your posts on the Mane. One addition I'd have to suggest for your list....

Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium

I've read references to this album as one of the definitive early releases for black metal, and widely quoted as an influence. I've had it in my collection for many years, first on vinyl & now on CD.

Regards,
m.

slim
05-11-2008, 11:29 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. :D

sisterhellfyre
05-11-2008, 11:30 PM
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. :D

Yeah, sure, let's go with that.

Regards,
m.

Northman
05-11-2008, 11:31 PM
I can see that, knowing your tastes from following your posts on the Mane. One addition I'd have to suggest for your list....

Celtic Frost - Into the Pandemonium

I've read references to this album as one of the definitive early releases for black metal, and widely quoted as an influence. I've had it in my collection for many years, first on vinyl & now on CD.

Regards,
m.

That is a good album although i prefer Morbid Tales. But Into the Pandemonium is a great record. Good call.

sisterhellfyre
05-11-2008, 11:38 PM
That is a good album although i prefer Morbid Tales. But Into the Pandemonium is a great record. Good call.

Yeah, there were a couple lyrics from Morbid Tales that I'd hear in my head over & over for years afterward. Always a good sign. :-) It's just that as I've gotten a little older (mid-40s now) I lean more toward a more polished, more fully developed sound (like Pandemonium) instead of the rougher, more raw Tales.

Regards,
m.

Northman
05-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Yeah, there were a couple lyrics from Morbid Tales that I'd hear in my head over & over for years afterward. Always a good sign. :-) It's just that as I've gotten a little older (mid-40s now) I lean more toward a more polished, more fully developed sound (like Pandemonium) instead of the rougher, more raw Tales.

Regards,
m.

Awesome, im always glad to see other people who are still listening to metal well into their later years. Im 38 and havent slowed down a bit in terms of listening to it. Thrashing around in the pit however is a bit more challenging on the body nowadays. :lol:

sisterhellfyre
05-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Awesome, im always glad to see other people who are still listening to metal well into their later years. Im 38 and havent slowed down a bit in terms of listening to it. Thrashing around in the pit however is a bit more challenging on the body nowadays. :lol:

Slow down? Oh, no, not much. My roomie and I are going to see Iron Maiden in Tacoma on June 1st. From what I hear they're focusing on the classic 80s albums for this tour, but have rearranged the songs to make the best use of the guitar trio. Should be an awesome show. I can't wait. :-)

Regards,
m.

Northman
05-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Slow down? Oh, no, not much. My roomie and I are going to see Iron Maiden in Tacoma on June 1st. From what I hear they're focusing on the classic 80s albums for this tour, but have rearranged the songs to make the best use of the guitar trio. Should be an awesome show. I can't wait. :-)

Regards,
m.

Enjoy it. :beer:

dogfish
05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
three pages and no ride the lightning. . .

damn, i'm old! :frusty:

at least coach threw among the living out there. . . i'm a little surprised that pantera's vulgar display of power hasn't been mentioned, either. . .

where the hell is keithbishop? that guy is one of the most hardcore metal fans alive. . .

:thrasher:

Northman
05-11-2008, 11:58 PM
three pages and no ride the lightning. . .

damn, i'm old! :frusty:

at least coach threw among the living out there. . . i'm a little surprised that pantera's vulgar display of power hasn't been mentioned, either. . .

where the hell is keithbishop? that guy is one of the most hardcore metal fans alive. . .

:thrasher:

I see Keith a lot at Broncomania but havent seen him here on this forum yet. As for Pantera, Cowboys would make my top 100 but i doubt that anything else in their catalog would. Vulgar was a decent album but doesnt move me like CFH does. Same with Ride the Lightning.

CoachChaz
05-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Pantera is tough. Collectively, they were an awesome band and the leader in my ticket stub collection. (seen them 14 times) CFH was a pioneer album in that it brought hardcore American metal back to life. All the others were awesome...except maybe Reinventing the Steel, but CFH still holds a special place.

Time for a top 10 metal bands thread.